Italy Is Not Liking The Captain

USNUZULOOSE

Again, unless the Captain totally ignored what Costa/Carnival told him to do, then the company is just as culpable. They knew exactly where their ship was. And, it sounds like they gave absolutely no direction when the incident first happened.

Italians can be hot tempered & this article shows it . We are 50% Italian ;however ,very American & we have been to Irtaly twice .Thus ,we have a good idea of how the Italians feel ;)

The Italian courts hopefully will extract all the truths in this matter. Those truths will take some time to develop:eek:

OP, thank you for the link. The authorities seem to be doing a thorough job of investigation. It seems prudent that they are questioning the retired commander, but the blame remains with the captain, because it was his decision to sail close to the island.

I asked my husband to listen to the phone conversation between moronic captain and the port captain in Livorno. Hubby lived in Italy for a couple of years in his youth so he's quite good at it. His reaction and I quote:

This captain is lucky there is no death penalty in Italy or he'd be going to the gallows tomorrow.

Yes, the Italians hate him, and with good reason. This man is making them all look bad, he's bringing dishonor to his country and to his profession. And he probably killed a couple dozen people at least with his incompetence and carelessness. That makes him a murderer too.

But yes, junior officers should have totally ignored him and done the right thing. I don't know if they tried that or not.

I have read many of these threads. With many blasting the idea of forming opinions based on rumor only. But the interesting thing about all the rumors and reports and testimonies coming out of the area is that I have not read or heard A SINGLE ONE that reports proper behavior on the part of the captain. Surely if all the bad was false rumor we would have had at least one lonely soul come to the captains defense to report how he acted properly. The fact that not one supporter has come forward I think speaks volumes.....

I have read many of these threads. With many blasting the idea of forming opinions based on rumor only. But the interesting thing about all the rumors and reports and testimonies coming out of the area is that I have not read or heard A SINGLE ONE that reports proper behavior on the part of the captain. Surely if all the bad was false rumor we would have had at least one lonely soul come to the captains defense to report how he acted properly. The fact that not one supporter has come forward I think speaks volumes.....

I do remember reading yesterday that a female crew member was speaking highly of him and saying all that has been written so far were lies. Of course that was before all the truth began to emerge. It's possible this person was fake and just trying to create drama or distraction. She also stated that he had remained with the ship. So that speaks volumes as to her credibility.

Here is a recording with English Caption:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/video/2012/jan/17/costa-concordia-captain-phone-call-video

What I don't understand is what do people expect the captain to do on board? I don't know if he would be more effective inside than outside.

Be a calming presence and voice of authority in the evacuation process. Tell people (staff, crew, and passengers) what to do....... If you were a panicked passenger would you be more likely to listen to the captain telling you what to do or a deck hand telling you what to do? The captain should set the whole tone of dealing with any emergency.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/video/2012/jan/17/costa-concordia-captain-phone-call-video

What I don't understand is what do people expect the captain to do on board? I don't know if he would be more effective inside than outside.

Really??? What is the Captain suppose to do?? Are you kidding me??

Let's begin with not acting like a coward!!! How about take responsibility for his mistakes, demonstrate leadership, organize the evacuation and save lives until the last standing person has left the boat.

I always thought the Captain went down with the ship if necessary ----- perhaps that sounds dramatic, but I thought even the Capt of the Titanic did that -----

This whole thing has sickened me tonight as I hear the remarks of the Captain and see the photos - and think of those people who have relatives still missing .......

Hope he sleeps well ....

The captain is to give direction to his crew and officers in an emergency. These poor people were left with no direction. They were left alone and to figure things out. Wouldnt you want to know the captain of the ship your on is there for the emergency? I see your user name, so I am assuming you have been on a ship? If not I apologize for assuming.

It may have been calmer if they knew there captain was there and not deserted them.

I always thought the Captain went down with the ship if necessary ----- perhaps that sounds dramatic, but I thought even the Capt of the Titanic did that -----

I agree with that, dramatic or not. I am surprised a captain would leave the ship in an emergency like this. Let's face, even junior officers know how to operate auto pilot and follow a chart. A captain is paid big bucks not just to steer but to take responsibilities in situations like this.

Let's begin with not acting like a coward!!! snip

I am not kidding you one bit. I am not defending the captain at all if that's where your ??? and !!! came from. I want to know in a situation like this, what exactly is a captain except to do on board which can't be done off board.

The captain is to give direction to his crew and officers in an emergency. These poor people were left with no direction. They were left alone and to figure things out. Wouldnt you want to know the captain of the ship your on is there for the emergency? I see your user name, so I am assuming you have been on a ship? If not I apologize for assuming.

Thank you! This is the type of answers I am looking for. I was under the impression all evacuations just follow a known process which all officers and crew know without more instructions from the captain.

And yes I have been on ships, not sure how you can tell from the username. But since I have never been in a situation like this, I don't think it helped.

I am not kidding you one bit. I am not defending the captain at all if that's where your ??? and !!! came from. I want to know in a situation like this, what exactly is a captain except to do on board which can't be done off board.

A True Coward move in Snipping my post.

I gave you my Explanations but you choose to SNIP my Quote on your response. Show some integrity. :o

Let's begin with not acting like a coward!!! How about take responsibility for his mistakes, demonstrate leadership, organize the evacuation and save lives until the last standing person has left the boat.

Here you go Sail2Sea....Can you Snip this post AGAIN !!! :cool:

After ditching his plane in the Hudson, Captain Sullenberger walked down the cabin aisle not once, but twice to double check that no one was left behind. He was the last person off his plane.

I think the situation is different. An airplane is much smaller and with few officers. The pilot can do it easily himself.

I imagine for a ship of this size it's more effective to have several officers to actually do the double checking and report back to the captain.

I am not trying to start a riot here. I just found the article interesting. This is something that came out quickly. I followed the Anthony trial and the respone of the number one person hated in the USA , that response I believe came after the trial. My heart goes out to everyone involved.

I think the situation is different. An airplane is much smaller and with few officers. The pilot can do it easily himself.

I imagine for a ship of this size it's more effective to have several officers to actually do the double checking and report back to the captain.

Yes, and the captain shuld have been onboard commanding his officers and coordinating all crew to make sure they got everyone off, not slinking away in a life raft like a puppy who just peed itself.

Yes, and the captain shuld have been onboard commanding his officers and coordinating all crew to make sure they got everyone off, not slinking away in a life raft like a puppy who just peed itself.

Yes, the tape did sound like he was just looking for reasons not to go back, didn't it? I definitely believe a captain should be the last one out. If anything, for the sense of responsibility.

I'm a manager, and I can tell you that the last person to leave in any emergency is me. In a fire drill, I check to make sure everyone is cleared before I leave. In bad weather, my staff goes home before me.

My responsibility as a MANAGER is to manage things, including emergency evacuations. Captain Coward's job was to manage his crew and to make sure the evacuation was managed as effectively as possible. You can't know what needs to be done when you have taken the first life boat off the ship.

Archived