Sanibel Island Fl-No. 1

jackdiamond

Best time to find the big shells on Sanibel is right after a storm. Early morning is also a good time. If you like wildlife, visit Ding Darling's wildlife preserve. Best time to see the animals and birds is early morning or late afternoon.

Thank you!

By the way , jackdiamond. We might disagree on most things here on CC, but I MUST say that both my wife and I prefer Florida over Paris, where we have lived. Paris is an arrogant place really, FL is bliss:)

Going to visit Sanibel for the first time coming March... my wife just loves collecting shells! Anybody know what els to see and do there and when is the best time of the day to find the big shells?

Some hotels/B&Bs offer complimentary bicycles to their guests. If not, you can rent bicycles from a number of locations around the island. Both Sanibel and Captiva are bicycle friendly.

As far as things to see/do ... bike ride, kayak, paddleboard, etc.

We included Sanibel & Captiva on our post-cruise holiday recently... along with Naples, Fort Myers, Sarasota, and the Tampa Bay area. Nice departure from Miami/FLL (which we like but have seen quite a bit of before/after cruises); only regret was we wished we had more time.

Going to visit Sanibel for the first time coming March... my wife just loves collecting shells! Anybody know what els to see and do there and when is the best time of the day to find the big shells?

You'll see the die-hard out there just as the sun is coming up to get the first picks of the day. But during outgoing tide you'll have luck, too. That's after they have been washed in and are revealed as the water flows out. It really is a beautiful place!

Blind Pass at low tide or after a big storm. Remember, it is a second degree misdemeanor to collect live shells.

A few years ago, a fellow was arrested on Sanibel Island with 50 live sand dollars. Also, you cannot harvest live conch shells. However, there are a plethora of shops on Perriwinkle Way which sell a multitude of shells and coral items. I have often wondered from whence they acquire these items since the acquisition of live shells and coral is proscribed in Fl.

But, I have never pursued this matter due to the fact that we have no need for additional shells, although some of our visitors do involve themselves in the "Sanibel stoop".

Not far away is Corkscrew Swamp Sanctuary where you can see well protected and natural habitats of south Florida. Very natural--alligators, snakes, birds, etc. It's run by Audoban Society.

But not exactly around the corner. I live in Naples and it's 20+ miles, probably need to add another 40ish miles from Sanibel and factor in the traffic going through Fort Myers.

Sanibel is great, but getting on and off the island is a bit tough "in season"

But not exactly around the corner. I live in Naples and it's 20+ miles, probably need to add another 40ish miles from Sanibel and factor in the traffic going through Fort Myers.

Sanibel is great, but getting on and off the island is a bit tough "in season"

It is not too bad, unless you proceed at the popular times. Ingress at or before 11:00 A.M., and egress at or before 4:30 P.M., is fairly smooth.

A picnic on the Causeway can be outstanding, since there are picnic tables and benches, outdoor grills, and trash and recycle bins.

Additionally, a seven day, non resident fishing license, only costs $17.00.

We found the traffic last year horrendous for getting off the island. On Sanibel we went to Ding Darling Wildlife Preserve. Saw lots of interesting birds and I am not a birder but it was amazing. In Fort Myers, go to the Edison/Ford winter residences. In Bonita, go to Manatee Park close to the interstate. There is a park (small sign on the highway) that is close to a power plant. The warm water from the plant attracts manatees. There were so many last year when we were there that we stopped counting.

Jane

Great shelling , that is where we developed the Sanibel stoop! Amazing piles of shells, like small snow drifts along the shore.

Fishing in Tarpon Bay was fun. A boat ride to Cabbage Key, eating stone crab claws there.mmmmm.

There were many wonderful places to eat. Our favorite was called Moo, or something to do with cows! We ate there a few times. Enjoy.

Arthur Frommer has now posted Sanibel Island Fl as the number one spot in the world to visit, placing Paris as either number 2 or 3.

Sanibel Island is super wonderful, plus Captiva, also! Great places along that western Florida coast!! BUT, Sanibel versus Paris is, however, like comparing apples and grapefruit. Totally different places, offerings, style, purposes, etc. Have been to Sanibel many times, remember the back ache from doing too much with those wonderful shells, etc.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 57,832 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Arthur Frommer has now posted Sanibel Island Fl as the number one spot in the world to visit, placing Paris as either number 2 or 3.

I don't think it's all that much, frankly. Not really pretty, imo.

Before the hurricane Charlie, it was nice with the canopy over Periwinkle Way. Now it's scrubby brush along the roadside. Traffic is the pits. Low speed limit and they have speed traps.

Someone mentioned the Manatee Park was in Bonita--that's wrong. It's further north. Off I-75 at 80 if I recall.

Archived