Oceania Flights - Nonstops an Option?

cruzers j&n

From many posts, it seems like most if not all flights arranged by Oceania have been connecting flights to Europe from the US. Do they even offer nonstops as an option? We are in the NYC area so know they have many nonstop flights out of the local airports to Barcelona, Rome, Athens, etc. Our TA felt we were better off doing our own flights since cruiselines in general will use the lousiest flights, but with the airfares so high now, was thinking it would make more sense to use Oceania air. Thoughts? Thanks in advance!

From many posts, it seems like most if not all flights arranged by Oceania have been connecting flights to Europe from the US. Do they even offer nonstops as an option? We are in the NYC area so know they have many nonstop flights out of the local airports to Barcelona, Rome, Athens, etc. Our TA felt we were better off doing our own flights since cruiselines in general will use the lousiest flights, but with the airfares so high now, was thinking it would make more sense to use Oceania air. Thoughts? Thanks in advance!

Yes, of course you may opt for direct flights when booking through Oceanias' Air Program. There is even a way (for a fee) to chose the flights yourself.

Ask that infamous TA of yours to explain the Oceania Air Deviation Program to you, and see if it isn't precisely what you were looking for. ;)

Yes, of course you may opt for direct flights when booking through Oceanias' Air Program. There is even a way (for a fee) to chose the flights yourself.

Ask that infamous TA of yours to explain the Oceania Air Deviation Program to you, and see if it isn't precisely what you were looking for. ;)

JimandStan, you are miss-using the term "direct flights". The OP asked about non-stop flights. Non-stop flights are different than direct flights. Direct flights have at least one stop between the starting airport and the destination airport but, you don't change planes. Non-stop flights are as the word states, no stops between the starting airport and the destination.

To the OP, would expect that from the NYC area, there is a good chance although not a guarantee that you would get a non-stop to Europe, especially to a major city but, probably not a non-major city with fewer flights. You will only find out when you get your flights which will be too late to change your flights most likely. Hope this helps.

Hope you enjoy your cruise.

We just booked non-stop flights using Oceania's air deviation. We requested specific flights NYC to Venice and Rome to NYC. The cost to book these flights on our own was about $400 more per person than using O's deviation.

Make the request to Oceania's air department and then compare the price to booking on your own. Go with whatever is cheaper.

Thanks everyone! (Jim&Stan and Mura -had a feeling you may respond :)) ... I will definitely inquire about air deviation using Oceania flights. My TA made it seem like I would only be offered flights w/connections, which I thought was odd given the availability of nonstops from the NY area. I knew I could rely on the CC experts!! Now it's time to start planning the excursions and figuring out what hotel to use in Barcelona.

We are on a non stop flight from Barcelona to Atlanta following the Marina transatlantic. I did request an air deviation because we wanted to stay over in Spain for 2 weeks and had no trouble in getting what we wanted. I made it clear to my travel agent what flights I would prefer but I did not want to pay any additional fees other than the deviation fee and we got exactly what we preferred.

JimandStan, you are miss-using the term "direct flights". The OP asked about non-stop flights. Non-stop flights are different than direct flights. Direct flights have at least one stop between the starting airport and the destination airport but, you don't change planes. Non-stop flights are as the word states, no stops between the starting airport and the destination.

Interesting point, but whatever you're calling "a flight without a stop", my advice was correct.

In order to be certain that one is booked on a Non-Stop flight, one must use the Deviation Program.

That said, JFK is our airport of choice and Oceania has also assigned us to non-stops to Europe without our having deviated. We have not always used those flights, but they were offered.

Thanks everyone! (Jim&Stan and Mura -had a feeling you may respond :)) ... I will definitely inquire about air deviation using Oceania flights. My TA made it seem like I would only be offered flights w/connections, which I thought was odd given the availability of nonstops from the NY area. I knew I could rely on the CC experts!! Now it's time to start planning the excursions and figuring out what hotel to use in Barcelona.

Your TA may be correct. The issue isn't whether or not non-stop flights exist; out of NY, you know they do. The issue is what flights can Oceania book under the terms of their umbrella contract with each airline.

Another cruise line once explained its system: each route has a negotiated price for different periods of the year. When the time comes for Oceania to book your specific flights, it will select the best route it can achieve within the alloted fare.

All this changes if the cruiser is willing to pay the air deviation. Then your wish is their command.

We have paid air deviation charge for a direct Air Canada flight from Toronto to Miami. Initial flight was a one stop American Airlines, and I do not want to take a chance on losing luggage on the outbound. Have had delayed (2-3 days) baggage twice on a return.

Our return from Rome was a no charge choice between Air Canada, changing in Frankfurt, or direct Rome to Toronto on Alitalia (which we opted for)

Cheers CANDYAPPLE

If given the opportunity to select an airport in your area, would your first choice be JFK, La Guardia, or Newark? Please cite the reasons for your selection--customs, delays, connections, etc.

Any insight you might provide will be appreciated!

If given the opportunity to select an airport in your area, would your first choice be JFK, La Guardia, or Newark? Please cite the reasons for your selection--customs, delays, connections, etc.

Any insight you might provide will be appreciated!

JFK all the way, especially if we are talking International.

La Guardia is 85% domestic and Newark is huge, ultra modern and highly accessible, but they roll up the sidewalks at 6pm.

It has also been our experience that offshore airlines, such as Lufthansa, Iberia and Italia seem to see JFK as the prestige NYC airport, and given a choice they will connect through JFK first.

Actually, our preference is Newark simply because most of the time it is a shorter trip for us. But, especially on international flights, we usually find ourselves using JFK.

On short trips (2 weeks or less) I can park more economically at Newark as well. It becomes worth the parking fee when it is less than a car service going to the airport and returning by taxi.

If we are going to JFK from Brooklyn Heights in rush hour it can take an hour and a half to get to the airport. That never happens if we're going to Newark.

But unless we are flying on Continental, we'll most likely be leaving from JFK.

LaGuardia is actually the closest airport to us (about 10-20 minutes depending on traffic) but I've never found a flight leaving from there, not even when I'm going NY-LA.

Mura

• 3 weeks later...

So, has anyone paid a "differential" fee? We're being charged $100 per person so we only have one stop from Arizona to Athens vs. two stops. Seems like we're getting nickel & dime'd! And, then on our return trip we're also paying a deviation fee ($250) to leave three days later (but no differential - one stop on the way back).

So, has anyone paid a "differential" fee? We're being charged $100 per person so we only have one stop from Arizona to Athens vs. two stops. Seems like we're getting nickel & dime'd! And, then on our return trip we're also paying a deviation fee ($250) to leave three days later (but no differential - one stop on the way back).

a few years ago we paid a differential fee to fly a specific airline

Usually you pay the deviation fee $125 pp for the whole trip

If you deviate from the sailing day & debarkation day you will be charged the "deviation fee" that sounds like what you are talking about since you are staying longer at the end of the cruise

so do you mean you are paying $250. per pp for deviation fees plus the $100 pp differential fee??

We're getting the same fees. $100 pp differential for one of our flights, non for the other. Then the $125 pp deviation fee.

My ta said he is not happy about the differential fee, so is going to try to get better or different flights for us.

Sorry to be so late in getting back to you, thanks so much for your airport advice. My initial reaction was to avoid JFK because of long custom lines, encountered earlier The last few times we have come through O'Hare and it has been a breeze. So hopefully JFK has improved also. Appreciate your help!

GJH,

It can depend on when you come in to JFK. We had a Sunday afternoon return which was an absolute zoo -- at least half a dozen flights arrived at the same time and they didn't have enough conveyor belts for luggage so many suitcases were spread all over the place.

I should add that most of the time we get into NY between noon and 3pm and only once did we have such a terrible time.

If you flight should arrive later at night, usually the place is empty. At least that has been our experience!

A DIRECT flight is NOT the same as a NONSTOP flight.

We had a rather disturbing experience. We asked for the cost of flights a few days before our cruise and returning a few days after. They quoted us only the $125 each for the deviation -- no other extra charges. We asked our TA how much we would be allowed if we did all our flights ourselves and the amount he quoted us led us to decline the Oceania offer and try ourselves. However, we finally decided that would cost more so we went back and said to let Oceania know we wanted their original offer. However, now (this was only a few days later) one of the flights had a differential of $250 each!!!! I was upset but in no mood to argue so we ended up paying $500 more than if we had just said OK originally!

A DIRECT flight is NOT the same as a NONSTOP flight.

Yes, but whatever you call them, both direct AND Non-Stop flights are doable using the Oceania Program, so what is your point?

Archived