Oceania Flights - Nonstops an Option?

cruzers j&n

Yes, O wants us to pay $100 pp differential fee on the way to Athens (so we only stop once, not twice) and $125 pp deviation fee on the way back. Seems like they just made $450! :mad:

You're mixing Apples and Oranges there, the so called "differential fee" isn't a fee at all but the cost of the more expensive flight that you chose being passed on to you. The money goes to the airline.

Only the Deviation fee goes to Oceania's coffers.

I have noticed in (at least) the past year or so that the airlines really push you to a one- or two-stop itinerary. If you opt for a non-stop flight, you will pay for it.

It used to be easy to book non-stop flights on standard routes. Not so anymore.

When I go to United's webpage to see what flights they might offer (whether on a paid basis or using miles) they don't even quote non-stops! Which explains to a large extent why I have yet to book anything there ...

I can see where the airlines might well pass this cost on to Oceania.

Mura

If you are flying from Arizona, that may be the case.

We fly from NYC and on the few occasions when we've used Oceania's air, we've had nonstops. (But when we flew to New Zealand/Australia we visited my family in L.A. and flew from there -- on our own.) For Europe, we've had good experiences.

Right now I'm researching flights from NYC to Athens and back from Istanbul. That's a bit trickier!

Mura

Hi Mura - I'm pretty sure there is a nonstop to ATH from either EWR (via Continental) or JFK (via Delta). Pls note the service via Continental is seasonal so depending on timing of your cruise, it may not be available. From IST, I think your only nonstop option would be the Delta (also code-shared w/Turkish Airlines). We took DL to IST and I have to admit the planes were older, service just so-so, but they got us back and forth in one piece. I too avoid JFK if at all possible but would consider it to avoid connections.

Years ago we took Olympic Air to ATH and it was suprisingly good. I've read horrible things about them recently though so perhaps it's very differerent now, but I think we were fed 4-5 times during the flight....we've never been so stuffed.

Hope this helps.

I know about the Delta flights, thanks. (They leave from JFK, not Newark) What I was looking for was something cheaper. I've asked our TA to see about a deviation using the Delta flights, I just don't know if O will agree given the fares I've found if I were to buy the tix myself. By "researching" I meant that I was seeing what other options there were.

Last night I did find a good Alitalia option that has premium economy for a very good price if we book now. That goes JFK-FCO/ATH. They don't give you an option for an open jaw at the site so I asked for a round trip to/from Athens figuring we can get a cheap flight from Istanbul to Athens. The wrinkle here is that the flight back home from Athens leaves at 7am and apparently is the only flight that day.

Continental doesn't give me any options for this route -- I have the most miles with Continental/United so I'd prefer to use them but it doesn't look feasible.

Thanks for trying to help!

Mura

With the United/Continental merger Newark is being downgraded from a major hub. My Alaska trip last year United tried to fly me EWR to DC and then to Chicago for Anchorage, I was able to avoid DC by calling to complain.

BTW, LGA flights cannot exceed 2500 miles.

While we used to get Continental flights on O, the most recent cruises didn't have any.

Last night I did find a good Alitalia option that has premium economy for a very good price if we book now.

I would stay home before I fly Alitalia again. We took an upgrade in September so were getting flights relatively late in the game and there was little choice. We ended up on Alitalia, on a plane so old it still had ashtrays in the armrests....the seats were so worn they were almost threadbare and certainly had no padding left. The screens were those huge old tvs, so virtually unusable. The worst flight I have ever endured. And don't get me started on the mess in Rome at the gate to catch the flight to Istanbul......

DON"T DO IT!!!!!!!

Mo

We had a flight like that from CDG to Rome in October (I think it was Alitalia equipment) that was just like you described. Technically our seats were premium economy (as they had been on the flight from JFK to Rome) but in fact this was strictly an all-coach aircraft. And you're right, the seats were threadbare ...

The seats on Air France hadn't been much better though ... newer, ostensibly plusher, but not very comfortable and almost impossible to adjust. They LOOKED like the same seats that were in business and first class, but I didn't have a chance to try them out. (LOL)

But this merits a check at seatguru.com, I think!

Mura

Hi Mura - I just had to chime in based on our experience w/Alitalia. Granted we were in economy so BC may be a different story. My husband's beef entree was so tough that his utensils actually broke when he tried cutting through it (no, they were not plastic but metal) - enough said. I agree the plane was not in the best condition either.

Hope you find good flights!

For me, I am a frequent fllyer living in Hawaii. I gladly pay the devation and the supplliment because I pick the airline and get $380 worth ofs frequent flyer miles for 2 thats worth $740.

Next, I united gives me free bags for us chalk up another$ 200 Then I get comp economy plus premimun seats, to Miami from Kona thats RT $400.

As a fequent flyer United frequentoy offers my and my wife free up grade to first class.no money no miles...just a thanks/ your welcome... thats worth a good $5000.

Even without first class I am guaranteed a $1340 saving for my$ 250

In Hawaii we call that a good deal... Nickel and dime? no way

In hell I hear they threaten you with flying Italia.... hell being much nicer.

Oh dear. I've heard about bad meals on airplanes. I've had some myself.

But I never broke a utensil cutting the meat ... although some of those plastic knives and forks are pretty thin.

Mura

I hate bad flight schedules. I look at ITA first to narrow down the flights, filtering by duration and stops. For trips to Europe, we prefer to use United/Lufthansa partnership flights. We can normally get a nonstop from Chicago to a major airport in Europe, then a hopper flight to a minor airport. Usually same on the way back, or in cases where we end up near a major airport, a nonstop flight back to Chicago.

We just purchased nonstops both ways from Chicago to Scandinavia on SAS, flight duration about 8 hours again.

I pay more for these short flights, but because we've had delays at stops, luggage lost and other catastrophes happen, it's worth a few hundred dollars more to get a good schedule, a nonstop flight taking 8 hours rather than spending 24 hours on the plane and in airports.

From many posts, it seems like most if not all flights arranged by Oceania have been connecting flights to Europe from the US. Do they even offer nonstops as an option? We are in the NYC area so know they have many nonstop flights out of the local airports to Barcelona, Rome, Athens, etc. Our TA felt we were better off doing our own flights since cruiselines in general will use the lousiest flights, but with the airfares so high now, was thinking it would make more sense to use Oceania air. Thoughts? Thanks in advance!

From JFK, we are flying Delta Non-stop to Istanbul on July 16th and returning from Rome to JFK on the 29th non-stop @ $1335.00 each booked directly with Delta.

From JFK, we are flying Delta Non-stop to Istanbul on July 16th and returning from Rome to JFK on the 29th non-stop @ $1335.00 each booked directly with Delta.

Ouch! They saw you coming!

You could have saved a lot of money by getting those selfsame flights through Oceania....

ALWAYS price it through them first. ;)

Oh well. you'll know for next time.

Ouch! They saw you coming!

You could have saved a lot of money by getting those selfsame flights through Oceania....

ALWAYS price it through them first. ;)

Oh well. you'll know for next time.

I wanted to let the above reply go in one ear and out the other but I couldn't........

You are saying for example that if I am quoted $4000.00 PP by Oceania for cruise and air package which they advised me that $2500.00 was for the cruise that if Oceania found an airfare for $900.00 that they Oceania will reduce my cost by $600.00. Duh! doesn't work that way, they KEEP the differential.... and if they book you and you don't pay the flight selection fee you will be 90% sure to get at least one stop and a 60% chance of two stops

So, has anyone paid a "differential" fee? We're being charged $100 per person so we only have one stop from Arizona to Athens vs. two stops. Seems like we're getting nickel & dime'd! And, then on our return trip we're also paying a deviation fee ($250) to leave three days later (but no differential - one stop on the way back).

You only pay the $250 differential one time so you should be paying $350..

That $250 is not for leaving three days later..it is for both way deviations..

Jancruz1

I wanted to let the above reply go in one ear and out the other but I couldn't........

You are saying for example that if I am quoted $4000.00 PP by Oceania for cruise and air package which they advised me that $2500.00 was for the cruise that if Oceania found an airfare for $900.00 that they Oceania will reduce my cost by $600.00. Duh! doesn't work that way, they KEEP the differential.... and if they book you and you don't pay the flight selection fee you will be 90% sure to get at least one stop and a 60% chance of two stops

I'm not really sure that you understand the mechanics of the Oceania Air system, and you probably should sit down and discuss it with your travel agent.

That said, the ONLY calculation that you as the passenger need to be concerned with is this: Can Oceania book the flights that I want for less money than I can, or should I take the air allowance and book them privately?

Anything else is not your problem or concern.

I'm not really sure that you understand the mechanics of the Oceania Air system, and you probably should sit down and discuss it with your travel agent.

That said, the ONLY calculation that you as the passenger need to be concerned with is this: Can Oceania book the flights that I want for less money than I can, or should I take the air allowance and book them privately?

Anything else is not your problem or concern.

While you are close, JimandStan, actually you shouldn't care as you will never know what Oceania books your air for, think it would be more accurate to state that if you can book for less than the air allowance Oceania will give you, you probably should book yourself. There is something to be considered when booking yourself, more than likely booking yourself will be on a non-refundable ticket while your Oceania ticked is refundable as long as your cruise fare is.

While you are close, JimandStan, actually you shouldn't care as you will never know what Oceania books your air for, think it would be more accurate to state that if you can book for less than the air allowance Oceania will give you, you probably should book yourself. There is something to be considered when booking yourself, more than likely booking yourself will be on a non-refundable ticket while your Oceania ticked is refundable as long as your cruise fare is.

Another wonderful advantage to booking air through Oceania, and one that you would THINK that I would have remembered to include here, since having Oceania Air arrangements saved my neck when the Riviera maiden voyage was pushed back (TWICE!!).

My only defense is that they made our transition from the old to the new air arrangements seamless, efficient and (almost) fun!

Oceania does not get it right all of the time, but I've never been involved with a cruise line that TRIED so darned hard.

Thank you, Rallydave....... and also at age 76, I always purchase Trip Insurance which fortunately or unfortunately I have collected on twice

Archived