Electrical Outlets in Cabins

diligaf51

On the Silhouette we had 2 US outlets and 1 Euorpean (needed for the hairdryer) on the wall beside the vanity desk. Rather then worry about a converter, we brought along a power strip which provided 6 additional outlets. This worked great for all our electrical needs.

On the Silhouette we had 2 US outlets and 1 Euorpean (needed for the hairdryer) on the wall beside the vanity desk. Rather then worry about a converter, we brought along a power strip which provided 6 additional outlets. This worked great for all our electrical needs.

Agree with the above posting. Take along an extension cord with added plugs on the end. That gives you much-needed added flexibility and options. We forget how many different items we have needing re-changing, including for a laptop, iPhone, camera, etc.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 57,832 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

I know from past cruises that there are both US and European electrical outlets in the Celebrity cabins. But I cannot remember what type of adaptor is needed to convert the Euro ones to 110v. Can someone help? Thanks.

Here's a listing of plug adapters in which you can convert the 2-prong European plug to the U.S. prong plug. I'm not sure if I understand your question. If you plug a 220v appliance into a 110v socket, it won't work very well. If you plug a 110v into a 220v socket, it will burn it up. Also the 110v is 60 cycle whereas the 220v is 50 cycles.

http://www.voltageconverters.com/plug_adapters.html

Here's a picture of the electrical outlets on the Solstice Class ship. The 2 on the left are 110v.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=30467104&postcount=5

What exactly are you trying to do so we can better answer your question.

• 2 weeks later...
Agree with the above posting. Take along an extension cord with added plugs on the end. That gives you much-needed added flexibility and options. We forget how many different items we have needing re-changing, including for a laptop, iPhone, camera, etc.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 57,832 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Terry, you've been most helpful in answering many posted questions-thank you for your time, it is most appreciated. My DH uses a CPAP machine for sleep apnea. Is there an electrical outlet near the bed, or will it be necessary to take an extension cord with us when we sail on "The Connie" this July? Does the ship supply extension cords? Thanks for you help. Judi

I know from first hand experience, they might take and throw away any of those multi plug cords. They are not allowed on X, and I've had mine taken away when they xray'd my luggage. They are considered a fire hazard as they can mess up the electrical system.

I know from first hand experience, they might take and throw away any of those multi plug cords. They are not allowed on X, and I've had mine taken away when they xray'd my luggage. They are considered a fire hazard as they can mess up the electrical system.

I understand that, on Century, they only have a single 110 volt outlet. If extension cords are not permitted, are power strips OK? Anyone ever come up with any other solutions?

Thanks.

Linda

i understand that, on century, they only have a single 110 volt outlet. If extension cords are not permitted, are power strips ok? Anyone ever come up with any other solutions? Thanks.

Linda

yes:
most items that we travel with today are dual voltage, so only an adapter is needed. Em

Terry, you've been most helpful in answering many posted questions-thank you for your time, it is most appreciated. My DH uses a CPAP machine for sleep apnea. Is there an electrical outlet near the bed, or will it be necessary to take an extension cord with us when we sail on "The Connie" this July? Does the ship supply extension cords? Thanks for you help. Judi

Yes they do. Contact X and or your TA and tell them that DH needs proper cord. They will then classify him as "Having a handicap" and look after the situation.

We always carry a cord regardless though.

Also because of only one plug (Century and M class) and poor location we take duck tape to secure the extenion as it winds it's way to the top of your bed from wherever.

I understand that, on Century, they only have a single 110 volt outlet. If extension cords are not permitted, are power strips OK? Anyone ever come up with any other solutions?

Thanks.

Linda

TO L11,

Like everything else, this is a matter of choice & personal style. We found we didn't need any extra plug-in space (but then we didn't need to charge our Phones or Ipods / Ipads when aboard... due to the "severe" fees for Wifi, we either switched them off... or used them in Airplane Mode). So we got along quite fine with the plugs that were available to us along the side of the Vanity / Desktop on the S-Class Ships.

Some folks though have said that they have brought and used "spider" multi-plug-ins that they added to the standard outlets.

Example Photo = http://images.philips.com/is/image/PhilipsConsumer/SPS1060U_17-IMS-global?wid=430&hei=430&$jpglarge$

Hope this is helpful,

Cheers!

You can look at your adapter and tell if it works on both voltages. It will say something like "Input 100-240v" if it does.
Actually"The adapter is simply a connector that changes the plug shape to match the outlet. It does not change the voltage or electrical output in any way." from http://science.howstuffworks.com/innovation/science-questions/question430.htm

Most electronics [computers, battery chargers,etc] use internal voltages far lower than either 110v or 220v. For example most [at least many] home computers operate on three DC voltages

• 3.3 volts
  • 5 volts
  • 12 volts

Given that you need low voltage DC, most electronics contains transformers that will allow you to plug into either 110v OR 220v AC.

A number of hair dryer have a 110/220 selector switch. They also often have a Hi/Med/Low switch. The 110/220 switch in this case does nothing other than allow you to use low current only if you are on 220; otherwise the hairdryer would overheat and burnout.

Yes, it is good to check to make sure that your item can operate on 220v in addition to 110v, but lots of items can use the 220v dual round pin Euro socket [technically CEE 7/4 socket, I think]. All you need is a simple adapter which only weighs an ounce or so - I always keep one in my toilet kit next to my toothbrush and it is quite useful on cruises and trips to Europe.

Thom

Yes they do. Contact X and or your TA and tell them that DH needs proper cord. They will then classify him as "Having a handicap" and look after the situation.

We always carry a cord regardless though.

Also because of only one plug (Century and M class) and poor location we take duck tape to secure the extenion as it winds it's way to the top of your bed from wherever.

LeftcoastBC:thanks very much, we'll do that. Great suggestion about the duck tape too.

Judi

Archived