Can I take food off the ship?

tbiesinger

My mother lives in Germany. Several years ago she was flying over to visit. She was waiting for her luggage in Newark Airport when a customs officer with a dog came through the area. The dog sat down next to my mother's carry-on. The officer asked my mother if she had any food and she said no. The officer asked to search her carry-on and inside found dog biscuits. These were homemade dog biscuits that her humane society makes for their animals, they also sell them to raise funds. She was bringing them as a treat for our dogs. They were confiscated.

I've been known to take a bagel from the buffet to have in case DD gets hungry. Bagels tend to be more "sturdy" and hold up better in my bag than, say, a muffin. .

So why not take a box of cereal instead of a bagel which is against the law in most countries. If you say you are ok breaking the law... ok .. but a box of cereal would do just as well and not break the law.

Spoken like someone who has no clue how food is grown.

A list of all imported pests--

http://pest.ceris.purdue.edu/pests.php

The Mediterrean Fruit Fly infestation in the late 80's early 90's in Southern California was fun.:rolleyes: We were aerial sprayed by Malathion at least 4 times. EVERYTHING outside had to be brought inside or covered. I became an expert in wrapping a swingset. The next day everything was sticky. Had to scrub the swingset after each spray, didn't want the kids to play on Malathion that was brushed on by the tarps coming off.

We lost our citrus those years.

Now we have an Asian Psylliad. I have seen cube traps and yellow traps from Vector Control hanging on utility lines and in citrus trees.

San Diego has a Agriculture Dog that has an excellant nose. I have seen many people being stopped and going thru their luggage on the asphalt. The dog even alerted on my Lemonheads once.

Traveling into California you might get stopped at the Agriculture Border booths.

And all this will happen if I bring a bagel and an apple of the ship...

No. No one cares. He could have his pockets filled with steak and no one would care.

Jan. 3rd & 4th, 2012, in Cabo San Lucas, Port personnel were searching bags as people got off tenders from the Splendor, Spirit, and Sapphire Princess. Sandwiches and fresh fruit were confiscated, but not processed foods, such as cereal, nuts, & drinks. There were several bins full of bananas, apples, and buffet food from the ships. I had individually-wrapped cookies, and bottled water...no problem!

I am an unrepentent on-board liquor smuggler, but see no reason to risk introducing an agricultural pest to another country.;)

JMHO

So why not take a box of cereal instead of a bagel which is against the law in most countries. If you say you are ok breaking the law... ok .. but a box of cereal would do just as well and not break the law.

I've only taken a bagel off of a ship and into a foreign country twice (other times it was the cruise line's private island and they had no restrictions about taking food from the ship ashore - I asked). I've never just assumed it was okay, I always ask. I have no intention of breaking the law, which is why I check in advance and bring my own packaged food from home, just in case. My primary motivation for doing this at all is that my daughter has dietary restrictions, and we've had trouble in the past finding food that she can eat in new locations. Otherwise I'd be content to just wing it, which is what DH and I usually do. I enjoy trying the local food, but it's a bit risky with the kiddo.

You will need to travel nearly 500 feet of barren, unoccupied, no-man’s land before you reach the end of the pier and are once again surrounded by opportunities to purchase food, drink and tourist stuff. You will most certainly want to pack a lunch.

Haaaaaaa! Haaaaaaaaaa! So true!

Everyone is an expert.

I must say I had a good laugh when the local athorities stopped passengers, went through their carry bags, and found all kinds of fresh fruit etc. It is NOT Permitted to bring fruit into any country, no matter what local experts here have to say. Can't anyone read the signs saying to NOT take food off the ship. They are always located right at the gangway!

Everyone is an expert.

I must say I had a good laugh when the local athorities stopped passengers, went through their carry bags, and found all kinds of fresh fruit etc. It is NOT Permitted to bring fruit into any country, no matter what local experts here have to say. Can't anyone read the signs saying to NOT take food off the ship. They are always located right at the gangway!

Saw this sign on the Paradise as we were leaving the ship to go into Ensenada:

GEDC2985.jpg

Many will tell you it is not allowed because of the danger of releasing some sort of toxic parasite to the "fragile" eco-systems that you will be visiting. In actuality, it is so you will spend your money on the island.

Tell California that about the fruit flies that were brought in. It has nothing to do with the money you will spend. It has to do with the possibility of bringing in non-native bugs that could destroy the eco-system.

I acknowledge and follow guidelines/laws/rules/regulations in foreign countries, but our first stop (in two weeks!) is Florida. We plan to spend the day at the beach. Can we take food (sandwich and fruit) off into a US port when we're sailing FROM a US port?

That is an interesting question and I don't know the answer. You may have to ask onboard. Or call and ask immigration.

This is why your avocados cost so much--
[URL]http://www.dailynews.com/news/ci_15440952[/URL]
Has a really cool pix of the bug eating the avocado. Not for the squeamish.
Ag Pests cost the farmers and the consumer.

Never know what is hitching a ride in your apple or banana or orange.
One year we were stopped at the Oregon/California border because Ag was looking for Washington cherries.

A few years back we got stuck in the Long Beach Dome during embark because a couple decided to leave the ship early, on a sea day, mid cruise. Carnival couldn't provide us with anything but water from the ship even though the food was being brought onboard as we were inside.

[quote name='tbiesinger']We are taking our first cruise on the Splendor on 2/12/12 and I am wondering if we are allowed to take any food off the ship when we get off for excursions.

If so, is there something on the ship we can pack and take with us?

Thanks.[/quote]

Ummm really?? Most places you port at do have food?? Really people..smuggling food from the buffett to your port days?? I'm really hoping your not that cheap...

[quote name='rcrx']Ummm really?? Most places you port at do have food?? Really people..smuggling food from the buffett to your port days?? I'm really hoping your not that cheap...[/quote]

I had no idea this would be such a heated topic. I was just simply wondering if there were pre-packaged sandwiches or something on the ship that we could pack for lunch. It would be nice to save a few bucks, but no I am not that cheap and I am not trying to hide food in my bags or on my body to see how cheap I can be. I just wondered what was allowed.

[quote name='big_duck']That would be 3000 bagels and 3000 apples per ship, per day.

Or are you special?[/quote]

Maybe if the islands served food that didn't make you sick and had water that was clean and didn't make you crap your brains out (not to mention over priced), people may not try to bring food off the ship.

And yes, I am special.

[quote name='tbiesinger']I had no idea this would be such a heated topic. I was just simply wondering if there were pre-packaged sandwiches or something on the ship that we could pack for lunch. It would be nice to save a few bucks, but no I am not that cheap and I am not trying to hide food in my bags or on my body to see how cheap I can be. I just wondered what was allowed.[/quote]

No worries..I smuggle beer on and you smuggle food off!!:).. I by no means am cheap either. Just never thought about stashing food for port days. I find plenty to eat in any port. I guess I was a little hypocritical in my reply.. but food I think is a big no no due to the insect issues. Have fun either way.

Archived