Cabin Booking Myth---Accessible Cabins

kitty9

I just want to clear up the most popular cabin booking myth. It is NOT true that if an able bodied person books an accessible cabin early on, that they will be moved if a disabled person needs it. I know this for a fact because on more tan one occasion I've been shut out of booking an accessible cabin, and had to book a suite just so my scooter would fit. I asked the booking agent to check if any of the HC cabins were booked by able bodied persons and was told every single time that they have no idea who books those cabins and if they're disabled. Once a cabin is out of inventory, that's it---it's gone for everyone, even for a disabled person. Once on board, I made it a point to find out if some cabins contained non-disabled persons, and I found out that quite a number were booked by person's who had no need of them.

So, to those who book HC cabins and who's travel agents tell them this story of having to move if a sabled person needs it, just know that your TA doesn't have a clue.

My understanding is that they do not require some "proof" you are disabled when you book a HC cabin. They ask you when you book and hope for an honest answer. If the HC cabin is not taken as the sailing date approaches, they will just give it to anyone. I once booked an HC cabin after knee surgery and had to cruise with crutches. While I could have probably used a standard cabin, the extra space made the vacation better. If you need a scooter to take the cruise, you need to book well in advance or find a ship with an open HC cabin.

My understanding is that they do not require some "proof" you are disabled when you book a HC cabin. They ask you when you book and hope for an honest answer. If the HC cabin is not taken as the sailing date approaches, they will just give it to anyone. I once booked an HC cabin after knee surgery and had to cruise with crutches. While I could have probably used a standard cabin, the extra space made the vacation better. If you need a scooter to take the cruise, you need to book well in advance or find a ship with an open HC cabin.

Yes, they do have you fill out a form asking questions pertaining to the disability. There's a new statement on Celebrity's website saying they make every effort to make certain that non-disabled persons aren't booking HC cabins. Read through the thread Celebrity Handicaped Rooms---Can Anybody Book. There's a link on the second page of that thread with Celebrity's statement.

As a traveler not in need of an accessible cabin I don't understand why anyone who does not need an accessible would want to book one if another cabin is available. On the land excursion in Alaska we were assigned to accessible rooms at 2 hotels. One room was ok but the other, because of the configuration of the shower was less than desirable for us. I would much have preferred a standard room and leave the accessible room available for someone who needed it, even if there was more room in the cabin.

Mary Lou

With the new federal regulations which took effect on Jan 1, I am hoping that Celebrity is going to take this more seriously and make certain these rooms are available to the disabled passengers who need them-- and there is some evidence to support that hope. On Celebrity's web page is posted the following:

"Please note we investigate and take action on potential misuse of

accessible staterooms where there is good cause to believe that such

staterooms have been booked fraudulently."

so much for Celebrity's corporate policy

As both a physically challenged person and a travel agent, I have to put my two cents in on this one. When you attempt to book an accessible cabin, at no time are you asked about the nature of your disability. I know this because I have been closed out of booking an accessible cabin for myself (I walk with crutches and braces and can manage in a regular cabin, but the extra space and the larger shower with the built-in seat makes things much easier for me). I have also had friends/clients who needed an accessible cabin unable to get one due to the fact that they had been sold to able-bodied passengers. I also want to make it clear that in my experience, this problem is not unique to Celebrity, none of the cruise lines due a particularly good job of monitoring or policing who they put in the accessible cabins. And as for having able-bodied passengers move to another cabin if someone needs an accessible cabin, it simply does not happen. While the cruise lines have made great strides in making cruising possible for people with all types of physical challenges, they really do need to do a better job of controlling who they sell their accessible cabins to. Thanks for letting me rant.

Regards,

Dean

Edited by ackieboy
forgot to sign my original post

I can say for a fact that Celebrity has, in the last week, offered HC cabins online for our 3/31/12 Summit sailing. I avoid them like the plague. We were unknowingly booked into one (with our two children) when we were "newbies." When we walked to our cabin, the door was wide open and an industrial sized fan was in the room along with two employees who were trying to wet-vac water out of the carpet. Apparently, water from the shower had flooded the room. Their efforts didn't work and we were told we were stuck with that room because the ship was full. After two days of complaining because of the very large round wet spot and the bad smell, they moved us to another room which they said was open because someone had missed the ship initially, and hadn't shown up at the next port. The room was so crowded with four people. We were literally crawling over rollaway beds. It was not a fun experience. Of course now I know enough to research the cabin before booking. I'd never book another one because they need to be left open for people who are hc.

63, that's the biggest problem with HC cabins----because a disabled person needs to have a roll in shower, they can have no barriers, which allows the water to get everywhere.

As for being offered an HC cabin, since your sail date is past the final payment date, HC cabins are open to everyone, which is how it should be.

ackieboy, I'm wondering if the persons who are allowed to book accessible cabins are falsefying the form that's sent to them? Pretty sorry people if they do that.

One thing to note is that the special needs form does not need to be turned in until 30 days before the sail date. All that's required for someone to book and hold the cabin until then is the claim to need one. If they fail to submit the form (assuming they're honest and don't lie and submit it anyway), that denies a disabled person from booking that cabin. After the deadline, X may have decided to make unbooked HC cabins available to the general public, so it's too late for someone who needs it to book it.

As both a physically challenged person and a travel agent, I have to put my two cents in on this one. When you attempt to book an accessible cabin, at no time are you asked about the nature of your disability. I know this because I have been closed out of booking an accessible cabin for myself (I walk with crutches and braces and can manage in a regular cabin, but the extra space and the larger shower with the built-in seat makes things much easier for me). I have also had friends/clients who needed an accessible cabin unable to get one due to the fact that they had been sold to able-bodied passengers. I also want to make it clear that in my experience, this problem is not unique to Celebrity, none of the cruise lines due a particularly good job of monitoring or policing who they put in the accessible cabins. And as for having able-bodied passengers move to another cabin if someone needs an accessible cabin, it simply does not happen. While the cruise lines have made great strides in making cruising possible for people with all types of physical challenges, they really do need to do a better job of controlling who they sell their accessible cabins to. Thanks for letting me rant.

Regards,

Dean

Dean has it about spot on. My situation is similar to his, I walk with crutches but also use a chair, so in theory need an accesible cabin, but in practice I almost always take a bigger room or a suite.

This is because perversely, a bigger room can sometimes work out cheaper! There are far too few accesible suites and they book up ridiculously early, either to wheelchair users or perhaps the sort of people who park their 4x4 in a blue badge space. But early bookings are at full prices, whereas later in the day, once the discounts start tumbling in, you can pick up a great deal on a big cabin if you can hold out long enough. Last year we did 23 days with Cunard in a Queens Grill suite for less than 1/3 of the brochure price!

I can say that at least from a UK perspective, Celebrity makes a reasonable job of matching accesible cabins to those who need them. I'm in the process of booking for a voyage later this year. The Celebrity site does not allow on-line checks for availability of the accesible cabins I'm interested in and says I have to phone.

However, my TA did the legwork for me and no surprises, she came back with confirmation that they were all booked up, except for those next door to the elevators that no-one in their right mind would touch. And for that particular grade (Sky Suite), the accessible cabins are not significantly bigger, just laid out differently. Generally, there are still mountains of cabins available on that sailing, hence my comment that accessible cabins are in too short supply and get full early.

Edited by Chunky2219

Dean has it about spot on. My situation is similar to his, I walk with crutches but also use a chair, so in theory need an accesible cabin, but in practice I almost always take a bigger room

However, my TA did the legwork for me and no surprises, she came back with confirmation that they were all booked up, except for those next door to the elevators that no-one in their right mind would touch. And for that particular grade (Sky Suite), the accessible cabins are not significantly bigger, just laid out differently. Generally, there are still mountains of cabins available on that sailing, hence my comment that accessible cabins are in too short supply and get full early.

I can tell you, I've had many, many cabins located right next to, across from and beside the elevator lobby and never once had a problem with noise. This has been the case on Celebrity, RCI, Crystal and Princess. Really, there's no worries about those cabins. Actually, some of the most desirable accessible cabins are those centrally located by the elevators. At least it's not like some ships where they put the accessible cabins at the very bow of the ship.

Edited by kitty9

While I do not know the specifics of booking a handicapped accessible cabin, I can tell you from having worked my entire career in professional and college sports that if someone comes to the ticket window and wants handicapped seating you cannot by law question whether or not they have a disability.

One of the big problems with Celebrity and RCI is they will not keep a waiting list for HA cabins so that if one becomes available the next handicapped person waiting would be called. This would prevent them being opened up at a certain time for anyone to book.As it is now the handicapped person waiting for a cabin have no way of knowing when one becomes available.I have asked for years about this but never got an answer.

We have traveled with elderly and disabled relatives on Celebrity and RCI, and in their experience the handicaped cabins they were in were literally close to double the size of a regular stateroom. That would explain why some people try to book them (not agreeing with doing it - just saying why they would). The only negative was the bathroom water on the floor problem, due to the need to allow wheelchairs. In some cases, they were asked to submit completed disability forms; in others they were not.

I would never book these cabins unnecessarily and do not think much of people who do. That said, I wonder how anyone knows the cabins are being filled with 'able-bodied' passengers?? Just because you see someone walk out of there with no apparent issues doesn't necessarily mean they are not sharing the cabin with someone who is disabled. Or perhaps they have an issue like MS which sometimes flares up and requires cane or wheelchair, and sometimes goes into remission for awhile so the person appears 'able-bodied'. Do you sit outside their cabin day and night and watch or what?? I can't imagine any employee would share this information with you- certainly not give you a blow by blow of each handicapped cabin. You also don't know if they booked these cabins late when they may have been opened up by the cruiseline. As to pricing, as long as final payment has not yet been made, you can call Celebrity and get a price reduction if the price goes down.

I do not mean to sound anti-disabled, as I definitely, definitely am not. As I said, I have regularly cruised with disabled relatives and do understand the challenges. I just think one must not jump to conclusions too quickly. I remember once when my husband had extensive knee surgery and legitimately had a handicapped sticker for our car for a period of time. He had his cast off but could not walk long distances. He was virtually accosted by a self-righteous do-gooder when he parked (legitimately) in a handicapped space as he appeared to be 'able-bodied' when in fact he was not. In his case, he would not have needed a handicapped room, but I am making the point that one should be careful when assuming you know all the facts when you may not.

And to those who knowingly book a handicapped room (prior to last minute when they are open to all) shame on you for taking space needed by someone who could not cruise otherwise.

. . . . . . . . (some content deleted)

I would never book these cabins unnecessarily and do not think much of people who do. That said, I wonder how anyone knows the cabins are being filled with 'able-bodied' passengers?? Just because you see someone walk out of there with no apparent issues doesn't necessarily mean they are not sharing the cabin with someone who is disabled. Or perhaps they have an issue like MS which sometimes flares up and requires cane or wheelchair, and sometimes goes into remission for awhile so the person appears 'able-bodied'. Do you sit outside their cabin day and night and watch or what?? I can't imagine any employee would share this information with you- certainly not give you a blow by blow of each handicapped cabin. You also don't know if they booked these cabins late when they may have been opened up by the cruiseline. As to pricing, as long as final payment has not yet been made, you can call Celebrity and get a price reduction if the price goes down.

. . . . . . . . (some content deleted)

And to those who knowingly book a handicapped room (prior to last minute when they are open to all) shame on you for taking space needed by someone who could not cruise otherwise.

1. I agree - knowingly booking a handicapped room when you do not need it is reprehensible.
  2. You're right - it's not always possible to tell. My son is one who is often accused of not needing facilities for the disabled, but he does. He is a fit-looking 30-something who appears to walk normally, but he has an above-knee amputation of one leg. While he can walk short distances, his prosthesis soon causes pain and blisters on longer walks. Balancing on one leg in the shower is another problem, especially at sea!

We booked an inside guarantee for the Explorer Christmas sailing in 2008 right after Thanksgiving and were assigned a HC on deck 11 with two weeks to go. The cabin was huge almost as big as a JS. We did notice the water stain on the carpet outside the doorway to the bathroom. We asked the steward for extra bath towels and always built a towel barrier around the shower stall so as to keep the water in.

2377925660096246620S600x600Q85.jpg

2384123880096246620S600x600Q85.jpg

We were booked on the new Silhouette last month and I twisted my foot with a week to go so I rented a large scooter for the 12 night trip. We had the bed by the closet but the scooter couldn't get past the bed to park for the night and blocked the way to the bathroom which is not good when one has to make a bathroom run at 3 PM. So we charged it in the room and then wheeled it out in the corridor to a spot on the angle where it didn't get in the way of the staff.

So, we survived 12 nights in a standard balcony cabin with a scooter.

2733195020096246620S600x600Q85.jpg

2357538760096246620S600x600Q85.jpg

We ran the long charging wire past the bed to the outlet on the side of the bed, just made it from where the scooter was parked.

My wife has only recently become wheelchair bound and so far we only have one accessible cabin experience on P&O Azura, a Princess Grand Class clone. The shower room was very similar to Big Boopers photos, but we had no problems with the shower overflowing, and there was no water stain outside the shower. However I did notice that the water pressure on the shower was quite a bit lower than normal and there was no way to increase it, so maybe P&O have found a way to avoid the overflow.

As for passengers deliberately booking an accessible cabin, or cruise lines not seeking to prevent them from being booked by the able bodied, I find this rather disappointing in this day and age.

Dean has it about spot on. My situation is similar to his, I walk with crutches but also use a chair, so in theory need an accesible cabin, but in practice I almost always take a bigger room or a suite.

This is because perversely, a bigger room can sometimes work out cheaper! There are far too few accesible suites and they book up ridiculously early, either to wheelchair users or perhaps the sort of people who park their 4x4 in a blue badge space. But early bookings are at full prices, whereas later in the day, once the discounts start tumbling in, you can pick up a great deal on a big cabin if you can hold out long enough. Last year we did 23 days with Cunard in a Queens Grill suite for less than 1/3 of the brochure price!

I can say that at least from a UK perspective, Celebrity makes a reasonable job of matching accesible cabins to those who need them. I'm in the process of booking for a voyage later this year. The Celebrity site does not allow on-line checks for availability of the accesible cabins I'm interested in and says I have to phone.

There is a website that will show you the availability of all accessible cabins on every deck. It is a European travel agent site, and is available in several European languages as well as English.

As Celebrity now has separtate categories for accessible rooms (AC, AW, AX, AZ, etc.) it is quite easy to locate the available cabins.

Unfortunately, Cruise Critic does not allow us to post the name of this site, or even to post email addresses in order to provide the address of the website away from Cruise Critic.

I think what people fail to realize is that anyone can request a shower seat to be placed into a regular room. They think that they need to have an accessible cabin. Anyone can submit a special needs form. For example, people hearing impaired can get light assistance in a regular room. People who travel in a wheelchair cannot cruise unless they have the assessable rooms. As someone whose husband is completely wheelchair bound, we have been blocked out of cruises because of no rooms.

Sometimes people with disablilites use their disability to justify a room with more space. I remember once someone on our rollcall telling me that I had the accessable room that they wanted (one of the aft cabins). When I acquired about the need -- I was told that the mans wife had inpaired vision which is a disablilty. While this may be considered a disablity, I not sure it is one that needs more space. Also, I will point out this women had no problem going anywhere on the ship alone. On another cruise, we were on a ship with only 8 accessable cabins. After meeting people on cruise critic, I noticed one couple had the cabin for a B2B (four weeks). When I stated that I was surprised that they were in accessable cabin, she told me that they asked for it. Then proceeded to tell me her husband was disabled because he had flat feet

I just want to clear up the most popular cabin booking myth. It is NOT true that if an able bodied person books an accessible cabin early on, that they will be moved if a disabled person needs it. I know this for a fact because on more tan one occasion I've been shut out of booking an accessible cabin, and had to book a suite just so my scooter would fit. I asked the booking agent to check if any of the HC cabins were booked by able bodied persons and was told every single time that they have no idea who books those cabins and if they're disabled. Once a cabin is out of inventory, that's it---it's gone for everyone, even for a disabled person. Once on board, I made it a point to find out if some cabins contained non-disabled persons, and I found out that quite a number were booked by person's who had no need of them.

So, to those who book HC cabins and who's travel agents tell them this story of having to move if a sabled person needs it, just know that your TA doesn't have a clue.

Darcie, how did you find out if people were handicapped or not in these cabins? I know if you would come up and ask me, I would certainly tell you it is none of your business.

I often book handicap cabins, yet I do not use any handicap devices. I have a balance problem which is worse first thing in morning and during the night, so I need the accessible bathroom. We also book it because my husband is diabetic and I know if I leave him in the cabin alone, he could always call someone if a problem arises. All he has to do is push a button. So, handicap doesn't always mean visible signs, there are a lot of people who have medical issues that cannot be seen by everyone.

Darcie, how did you find out if people were handicapped or not in these cabins? I know if you would come up and ask me, I would certainly tell you it is none of your business.

I often book handicap cabins, yet I do not use any handicap devices. I have a balance problem which is worse first thing in morning and during the night, so I need the accessible bathroom. We also book it because my husband is diabetic and I know if I leave him in the cabin alone, he could always call someone if a problem arises. All he has to do is push a button. So, handicap doesn't always mean visible signs, there are a lot of people who have medical issues that cannot be seen by everyone.

Your comments shows what my post directly above is trying to make people aware. Special needs can support needs on your cruise without taking up a wheelchair accessable room. Shower stools can be ordered for a standard room which allows a person to sit down while showering. Portable grab bars can be used. In fact, for balance problems, being able to touch walls and support objects are better than trying to walk open spaces. I not sure how pulling a string is more effective than picking up the phone and explaining the emergency directly to someone who immedicately can respond with proper equipment. Pulling the string only brings security not medical. I agree not all medical issue can be seen BUT the are called wheelchair assessable for a reason. Please allow those rooms for people that need the space to be able to get in the door, get in bed and get into a bathroom.

You can't assume that every able bodied person who is in an accessible cabin booked it by choice. We booked an upcoming cruise 12 days before we sail and that is the cabin that was given to us, we were not given a choice in cabins.

We would gladly change cabins with someone who needed the accessible cabin if we were asked.

After being disabled for 55 years, and being a contributor to the original ADA, then known as PL 94-142, I know not all disabilities are visible. But there are signs that let you know that someone doesn't need an accessible cabin, such as seeing both occupants running the deck and working out vigorously every day, coming out of their cabin with scuba diving gear (divers are nortorious for booking HC cabins), hearing them brag about booking them and not needing them among other very obvious things. You know, I can't tell you how many times people have asked about my disability, and I have no problem educating them.