Roatan beach for modest woman

Chris's girl

Cruising to Roatan for the first time in April. I tend to be uncomfortable at clothing optional and topless beaches. I have heard the beaches are beautiful here. Any suggestions on which one may be a good choice for a shy modest person? Thank you!!

We spent a full day on a ship excursion to Maya Key, a private little island minutes from the dock. It is billed as "the perfect Caribbean day" and lived up to that motto. It has a beautiful beach, excellent snorkelling, an interesting museum of Mayan culture, delicious lunch. There are clean change rooms and lockers and everyone I saw had a swimsuit on! The little ferry ran back to the ship at regular intervals, but we stayed until about 4PM. It was my first visit to Roatan and left a very positive impression!

I was hoping I wouldn't be made fun of for asking that question. Thanks so much for the information. :)

From a fellow Ohioan . . . Don't be shy!! The only "dumb" question is the one you don't ask. Keep researching and planning. People on these boards are friendly and helpful in sharing.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19' date=' 2011, Solstice cruise from [b']Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik[/b]. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 59.067 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Went to a beach on the island last year and everyone had a bathing

suit on.

BUT have heard alot about the great lobster lunches on Roatan?

Anyone know of one or would recommend where to go? Leaving

on the Millie Feb. 20th.

Thanks.

We like going to Fosters Hotel and beach http://www.fostersroatan.com/pictures.html in West Bay area. The cab cost was 20.00 p/p r/t and pay when you return to the ship.:) No nude sun bathing here.

We went to Foster's as part of the Zip n Dip from South Shore Ziplines. It was at one end of the West Bay area. Very small resort with the basic amenities. We were disappointed by the beach, it definitely didn't have that WOW factor and the people coming by continually trying to sell you something got to be old fast. We loved Roatan, but weren't over impressed by West Bay Beach (and we were the only ship in that day so it was overly crowded... maybe that's why we kept getting harassed by the locals selling there goods :eek:).

I walked almost the whole beach area (West Bay) and saw no nude bathing, but then again I wasn't really looking that hard.

I was disappointed after reading all the glowing reviews of how wonderful the beach and water is there.

We were there in December 2011.

We spent a week in roatan in june of last year, and i never heard of any nude beaches.

We stayed in the "Half Moon Bay" area of west end, and liked it a lot. The beach there is nice, and protected by the reef so very few waves. There's snorkeling right off the beach. If you rent a kayak you can paddle out about 40 yards and snorkel on the fantastic reef. Theres any number of little bars and shops and restaurants in that area. We ate at both the Lighthouse and Argentenian Grill, and enjoyed both. Theres also plenty of cheap street-vendor food that is fun to experiment with.

There are also a handful of dive shops in the area as well.

I was hoping I wouldn't be made fun of for asking that question. Thanks so much for the information. :)

I think the clothing optional issue comes up more with Orient beach in St Martin but even there you need not go to that section....

we are hoping for a cruise that includes Roatan & will probably go to Maya Key--the website seems to show there's lot to do 7 seems well run & cared for..

Went with a group, passed the port, passed the inner slums, past the Costco and BIG Box stores, passed the empty fields, passed the disgusting, passed the governors mansion or mayors home, passed a soccer area with pot holes, red dust, paths of green, fallen trees and goals made from a string and tires as post, passed more not so scenic areas, to end up at a very poorly run FAKE resort. The beach was hopping with sand-fleas, the water was a murky-grey type of water, and the club ran out of food and free drinks. This stop was a let down.com

Let me remember the name...ok....whatever it was, not worth getting off the ship for nor paying like $50-65, for, ok.

Hi,

Most New World Latin countries don't have a culture of clothing optional or topless beaches.

It is tolerated because a lot of tourist do this, however, it is not customary.

I don't think that you'll have any problem on any Roatan beach;)

by the way, I'm from Europe and we go here to the sauna and spa's naked and it is mixed :D it all depends on local culture and habits;)

enjoy your trip,

Despegue

Fun...Please try to remember the name of that resort. Was it Horizon

something?? Did you take a shore excursion or go on your own?

I don't want to come close to going there this February on our stop

to Roatan.

I have been to Orient beach twice and I booked an excursion in Venezuela that allowed you to go to a resort and use the beach. It was almost all topless and being a modest American - I was uncomfotable being there with my husband.

I greatly appreciate all of your helpful replys.

I do wear clothing or, at the very least, a one piece bathing suit, regardless of the other folks on the beach. It is not that I am shy or modest, I just don't want to scare the fish...................

Cruising to Roatan for the first time in April. I tend to be uncomfortable at clothing optional and topless beaches. I have heard the beaches are beautiful here. Any suggestions on which one may be a good choice for a shy modest person? Thank you!!

We are just back off of the Equinox and we did stop in Roatan. Had a great time at Maya Key. Lunch was bbq chicken, fried Sea Bass, salad, fried plantations - excellent. Believe many people used the pool. There is a nice gift shop, very clean restrooms and lockers if you wished to use.

Overall experience was very good!

Trish and Mike

We got a taxi driver right at the pier. There were 4 of us and we paid $20 each and had him for the day. He took us to Paradise Beach (no charge) and we had a great time, good food. He even negotiated with a man and his boat to take us snorkeling.

+1 for Maya Key

Did it a few weeks ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. One strong point is how quick and easy it is going to / from the ship. The shuttle boat is right next to the ship. You don't even have to go thru the row of shops at the port!

Just back from our Equinox cruise a week and a half ago. We went to Maya Key and loved it. Dh really enjoyed the snorkeling with the coral reefs and fish. You can rent equipment or bring your own. The setting is a lovely combination of tropical forest with a beach. A mini paradise.

Lunch as mentioned was wonderful. The sea bass was the best fish of the entire cruise.

They have a recreation of a few Mayan Temples from Copan with a couple small museums with actual Mayan items. The beach is nice and overlooks entertaining Black Howler Monkeys and coral reefs.

They have the pool and gift shop as mentioned. The staff leads scheduled walks on some of the trails, or you can walk on your own. You can swim with sea lions or dolphin for an extra cost.

Most of all I enjoyed visiting with the animals: jaguar, ocelots, maguay, watusa (sp), a boar, Scarlet Macaws, various monkeys, iguana, reptiles, sea lions, and lots of birds caged and uncaged. Indeed something for everyone. We are already planning on going back to Maya Key the next time we are in Roatan.

I think they run the boat shuttle every hour, so you have the flexibility to come back to the ship when you want.

Kathy

TourdeCruise: Do you do this on your own..or is it a Celebrity shore

excursion?

It was a Celebrity shore excursion. That is the only way to go to Maya Key. You need a shore excursion ticket to get a band around the wrist and the band around the wrist to board the boat. They checked for the band and marked the band at lunch. I believe the price was $64.00 pp which includes lunch and everything except swimming with the dolphins or sea lions, purchases from the gift shop, snorkel equipment rental, and optional gratuities.

I forgot to mention that most of the animals are in cages, so you don't have to worry about a surprise encounter with a jaguar. The beach and animals in cages (except for some reptiles in a cage) are at the bottom of a decline or long set of steps. Lunch, swimming with the dolphins/sea lions (extra fee), and the Mayan replica "temples" & 2 small museums are at the top. The boat comes into the top part of the island.

Kathy

Archived