New Zealand Cruising

Hi Guys,

Anyone here know if we can do a cruise from bottom of the south island to the top of the north island? Trying to find something but coming up with a blank!! Any help and advise much appreciated!

There is Orion Expeditions

http://www.orionexpeditions.com/

They dont do it very often and for the price , you could do a Au/ NZ cruise ,

and still have change over to do an extended land tour of NZ.

thanks David,

I will be coming from Ireland and intend to drive north to south (over the course of 3 weeks approx), and instead of flying back up to get flight home, take a few days out to cruise up!!

Dont think the time schedule will allow us to do aus/nz but will defo be looking into it!

thanks David,

I will be coming from Ireland and intend to drive north to south (over the course of 3 weeks approx), and instead of flying back up to get flight home, take a few days out to cruise up!!

Dont think the time schedule will allow us to do aus/nz but will defo be looking into it!

I don't think you will find a cruise that will take you from the southern end of NZ back to the north. They all do a circumnavigation.

In our experience, three weeks would be sufficient for a road tour, particularly if you plan ahead and be aware that some of the roads, particularly on the west coast of the South Island are winding making travel slow. I suggest you buy a guide book. We used 'Discover New Zealand' published by Hema Maps. Many Aussies travel around NZ in either cars (staying in motels) or campervans.

Starting in the north, I suggest you work out an itinerary to drive south to Wellington, cross Cook Strait, then drive anti clockwise around the South Island, then maybe fly from Christchurch. I don't know which airports your international flights land and leave from.

Have a fantastic trip.

You need to fly to either Melbourne or Sydney then you can book in Aussie Summer 13 night round trip from either Melbourne or Sydney that crosses the Tasman and then sails up the East Coast of NZ from Milford Sound to Dunedin, Christchurch (South Island), then Wellington, Napier, Tauranga, and Auckland in the (North Island).

Princess have DAWN doing this circuit out of Melbourne, and SEA out of Sydney . DIAMOND also does one way cruises Auckland - NZ ports - Sydney or vice versa taking a lesser number of days . So you could fly into Sydney and out of Auckland . Suggest you talk to your TA or Princess .

You need to fly to either Melbourne or Sydney then you can book in Aussie Summer 13 night round trip from either Melbourne or Sydney that crosses the Tasman and then sails up the East Coast of NZ from Milford Sound to Dunedin, Christchurch (South Island), then Wellington, Napier, Tauranga, and Auckland in the (North Island).

Princess have DAWN doing this circuit out of Melbourne, and SEA out of Sydney . DIAMOND also does one way cruises Auckland - NZ ports - Sydney or vice versa taking a lesser number of days . So you could fly into Sydney and out of Auckland . Suggest you talk to your TA or Princess .

If this itinerary suits, it is also available with other cruise lines such as Celebrity and Holland America.

I think the OP wants to do a three week land tour of NZ, then cruise for a few days from the south to return to the north to get their flight home.:)

I don't believe such cruises exist. Even if they found one that just does circum-navigation of NZ (not including Australia) they would only want to part of the cruise and usually that isn't possible. The cruiseline would not be set up to allow people to board (for instance) in Dunedin and cruise to Auckland and disembark. Usually it is all or nothing.

On our NZ cruise early in 2011 one NZ couple wanted to board at the first port in NZ instead of flying to Aust to cruise back across the Tasman. P&O wouldn't permit it. The cruise started in Brisbane and that is where they had to board as it was a 14 night cruise that wasn't broken up into segments.

Looks like your best option would be to fly out of the South Island, irish cailin.

I wonder if the cruise lines have considered cruises around NZ in addition to current cruises down the East Coast only.

Would the seas/weather on the West Coast make that not a feasible cruising option?

The west coast is the wild coast with few harbors that are used by large ships. The prevailing wind comes from the west so that is why the ships mainly go up the East coast, except for Milford sound which is suitable for largish ships. If you are wanting to do some cruising a great one is a few day cruise in Milford Sound (at the bottom of and in the South Island.) it is organized by Real journeys. there is also one in Doubtful sound. Quite magic! You will also have a lovely ferry ride between the North and South Island through the Marlborough sound. Make sure you book though as it is popular at certain times. there is also the trip across the lake at Queenstown (south island) on the steam ship the Earnslaw, an original old steam ship - to a sheep station. Another day trip from Auckland is on a ferry to the town of Coromandel and back. An old gold town with a great railway trip at Driving Creek Railway. It can be organized through the ferry or just self organized. also take the ferry to Waiheke from Auckland for great food and visit to vineyards. Lots of watery things to do!

Archived