Occupy Lounge Chairs - don't let the 1% pig 99% of the chairs!

xfer

Alright cruise critic citizens. United we can take back our chairs! :D

Except for Embarkation day, I have never managed to get two chairs together near the pool for my DH and I to share. I search in vain and give up in defeat. (I'm also a non-confrontational wussy). Why should I be chair-less while there are so many empty, hogged chairs? :mad: So I have been trying to think of a solution to this. Many folks put towels on their chairs to reserve them. It is also my understanding that if you fail to return your towel at the end of the cruise, you will get charged.

So what if I were to remove every completely unattended towel that I can get away with removing, at say, 8:30am? And hide them. (Not steal them from the ship, just the hogs. Yes I know taking the towels is stealing but can you think of a more fitting punishment for chair hogs?)

What if a 100 chair hogs came back and found their towels missing? :eek:I would speculate that many would then be sneaky and take towels that were left by other chair hogs. Once they take those towels, those chairs would then be left un-hogged. So throughout the day, there could be a cascading effect.

Of course, there would be innocent folks that might get their towels taken, which would be sad. Hopefully they will complain and motivate Carnival to be proactive on this chair hog issue.:cool:

It would be very satisfying to personally take hundreds of towels, but that would land me in the brig. However, if I grab only a couple towels, it's the chair hogs word against mine if I get caught.;) So what if every one in a roll call could de-hog 4 chairs, think we could have an impact?

Carnival's lack of oversight and enforcement has created this mess, and I say it's time for #OLC to sit down and take back the chairs!

Alright cruise critic citizens. United we can take back our chairs! :D

Except for Embarkation day, I have never managed to get two chairs together near the pool for my DH and I to share. I search in vain and give up in defeat. (I'm also a non-confrontational wussy). Why should I be chair-less while there are so many empty, hogged chairs? :mad: So I have been trying to think of a solution to this. Many folks put towels on their chairs to reserve them. It is also my understanding that if you fail to return your towel at the end of the cruise, you will get charged.

So what if I were to remove every completely unattended towel that I can get away with removing, at say, 8:30am? And hide them. (Not steal them from the ship, just the hogs. Yes I know taking the towels is stealing but can you think of a more fitting punishment for chair hogs?)

What if a 100 chair hogs came back and found their towels missing? :eek:I would speculate that many would then be sneaky and take towels that were left by other chair hogs. Once they take those towels, those chairs would then be left un-hogged. So throughout the day, there could be a cascading effect.

Of course, there would be innocent folks that might get their towels taken, which would be sad. Hopefully they will complain and motivate Carnival to be proactive on this chair hog issue.:cool:

It would be very satisfying to personally take hundreds of towels, but that would land me in the brig. However, if I grab only a couple towels, it's the chair hogs word against mine if I get caught.;) So what if every one in a roll call could de-hog 4 chairs, think we could have an impact?

Carnival's lack of oversight and enforcement has created this mess, and I say it's time for #OLC to sit down and take back the chairs!

humans naturally take priority over all inanimate objects.

see a towel; move a towel

see a banana; move a banana

see a thong; move a thong

see sunglasses; move sunglasses

see spf 15 to 50; move spf 15 to 50 (anything less, throw it away)

I agree, as the signs clearly state NOT to reserve chairs, the idiots just do it anyway.
And here's another Not Allowed...there shall be no Keeping Of Seats for those not present, in the show-lounge up forward!

Last show I was at, this policy was clearly stated by the CD....a bit too late for me

bcoz I had just OKed to a young woman's "I'm keeping these for someone".

That won't be happening to me again! I'm gonna plunk it down right next to her, protests and all.

Let her go call the staff. We'll straighten it out.

First of all... I LOVE the title. And I agree. It sounds kind of major but Carnival seems to keep overlooking the subject and just keeps saying the same 30-minute rule (which people obviously don't listen to) over and over again. But I do see where they're coming from though, they are a company in the business to make money. And extra attendants cost money and they also say they don't have enough room on the ship, which is an honest defence. But they do new to take action and it's really annoying. What I do is I go out on deck, look for open chairs. If there aren't any, I look around for chairs that look like they've been "hogged" for a long time, ask the people around how long the chairs have been unoccupied. If there hasn't been anyone there for a while, I take the stuff off and slip it under the chair. We usually only need 2 chairs (wife and I), and if the kids are there we take shifts on using the chair. Now sometimes people give me a hard time about it, but I'm really tall (6'8") and I can be really intimidating when I need to. :)

However, if I grab only a couple towels, it's the chair hogs word against mine if I get caught.;)

I've read on CC of pigs hogging lounge chairs both in the sun and in the shade. PAX have observed them getting up from one chair to confront someone trying to use the unpccupied chair. Its a shame that the cruiselines allow it to occur. Just think of the enforcement they'd get if those waiters got a bounty for collecting towels left unattended too long.

And here's another Not Allowed...there shall be no Keeping Of Seats for those not present, in the show-lounge up forward!

Last show I was at, this policy was clearly stated by the CD....a bit too late for me

bcoz I had just OKed to a young woman's "I'm keeping these for someone".

That won't be happening to me again! I'm gonna plunk it down right next to her, protests and all.

Let her go call the staff. We'll straighten it out.

Thanks for posting that information, I did not know that there was no seat saving in the show rooms. Great information to have for our next cruise in case the shows are really busy!

All it would take is a big bin ( who's contents can't be reached - think mailbox) with a large sign that reads " If you find a lounger unattended for 30 minutes, please deposit the abandoned items here. If you lost items, you may retrieve them at the end of the cruise " Make it highly visible and maybe it will detract from chair hogging. At the very least, I think it would make it easier for people who need the chairs to confidently remove the items and sit down.

I just take the stuff off the chair and put it on a table next to it. If the people come back and ask for their chair I just give it to them. I don't argue. Most of the time the chair hogs don't even come back while I'm there as I usually only hang out for about 1/2 to an hr. as I can't take more sun than that at a time, plus I get restless. When I leave I do not put their stuff back! So that the next person that sees the chair can truthfully say it was empty when they got there!

I think they should use the Punchliner method - clear the Lido deck every hour.

I get my laughs here, I don't go to the Punchliner. However, I've read that people stay for more than one show, didn't know they cleared it.

Just think of the enforcement they'd get if those waiters got a bounty for collecting towels left unattended too long.

I love that idea! Or alternatively, I could offer to buy a free drink for anyone who finds me 20 towels. ;)

I so agree!! Probably my biggest pet peeve is the chair hogs!!!! It is soooo annoying when you go to RELAX in the sun and it ends up being a big ordeal of "stalking" empty chairs and asking if they have been used recently!! So much for relaxing!!

I like the take a couple of towels idea!!

I have asked the staff on the deck and they do say 30 mins is the max to save a chair but will do nothing about it!!! The shows as well. You HAVE to get there AT LEAST 30-45 mins in advance to get a seat...could think of better things to do on vacation!!

Carnival is the only line I have cruised with, are there similar problems on other lines as well???

Remove the objects and move the chair to a different location. We merely leave the objects on the deck where the chair used to be. Hours later, when they return, their things are just where they left them - the chair is just gone.

Nice! That way, they can't confront anyone, cause they don't know who took it. I think I will have to try this next time.

Remove the objects and move the chair to a different location. We merely leave the objects on the deck where the chair used to be. Hours later, when they return, their things are just where they left them - the chair is just gone.

That is brilliant!

WOW....after 14 cruises, soon to be 15 i have never had a problem getting 2 chairs together near the pool.

Instead of removing the towels, just move the chair......i go get a chair without anything on it.......move it to where i want to be and move the 'occupied' chair somewhere else. Problem solved......if they come back and complain...i tell them their chair is over there.......

I have moved belongings from chairs and placed them on one chair...I have received the dirty looking...the questioning of me like I am the one in the wrong...those of you who don`t like confrontation...try it you may find it extremely fun

You can also get an employee to do this but what fun is that!

Funny that I get to the Lido at about 8am...tons of chairs ripe for the taking

Archived