Farewell Insignia

lilybug

With Insignia leaving O in April, I'm surprised that there aren't sentimental posts about her. We sailed on R5 and Nautica, and will sail on Insignia for the first time in March. I hope O doesn't give up all the smaller ships, they are the reason we cruise Oceania.

I, too, will miss Insignia even though we have sailed most on Regatta. Only once on Nautica (except when she was the R5, one time there). Even though to my eyes the ships are identical, I still will miss her.

As I say that, from the time I heard that Oceania was going to build Marina and Riviera (and I was on Insignia when Bob Binder met with us for that announcement), I figured at least one of the "R"ships would be leaving.

Unless Oceania wasn't going to get larger than it is now, something had to go. Insignia + Regatta + Nautica is 684 X 3 = 2052.

Marina + Riviera is 1250 x 2 or 2500.

The 5 ships would have a capacity of 4552. Without Insignia it is 3868. That is still a big increase from 2052.

That seems reasonable for now. I would love to see Insignia come back, even with the smoke from B&O ...

I personally would like to have Oceania stay smaller rather than larger. There may be no rationale for that, it's just the way I feel. And as I say that, I admit that we enjoyed our Marina cruise last October very much and did find some advantages to the larger ship!

I don't anticipate Insignia's return, but I'd be delighted to have her come back home.

Mura

While I too like the under 700 size cruise ship, I can handel 1200 as a maximum. However the trend is for the mass market folks to offer 2800+ and up to 6000 !!!

They claim more space per passenger but I find that space is a false figure. They may have more space but it is taken up by the square footage of 8 to 10 restauraunts, ships,bars, lounges,and other revenue spacees...not cabin size or free deck space.

At that scale the ships are larger than Navy aircraft carriers and are, to me, floating resort hotels with lawns, golf, water slides icce skiting, rock climbing zip lines... The sem intent on hiding the passenger from the fact they are on a ship.

The very reason I sail Regent and Oceaina is because of the size, and the casual atmosphere of an ocean journey. The trip on the sea is entertainment enough for me. That and the excellent company I meet on these ships.;)

We loved the old Marco Polo and then the Insignia and soon we will be on the Nautica and have also done Azamara. Other times larger ships, but really not anymore..we like the smaller ships..even if they don't have as many "amenities" we like the camaraderie of a smaller ship and getting to know the crew.

I hope she comes back to O.

Sherry

I, too, will miss Insignia even though we have sailed most on Regatta. Only once on Nautica (except when she was the R5, one time there). Even though to my eyes the ships are identical, I still will miss her.

As I say that, from the time I heard that Oceania was going to build Marina and Riviera (and I was on Insignia when Bob Binder met with us for that announcement), I figured at least one of the "R"ships would be leaving.

Unless Oceania wasn't going to get larger than it is now, something had to go. Insignia + Regatta + Nautica is 684 X 3 = 2052.

Marina + Riviera is 1250 x 2 or 2500.

The 5 ships would have a capacity of 4552. Without Insignia it is 3868. That is still a big increase from 2052.

That seems reasonable for now. I would love to see Insignia come back, even with the smoke from B&O ...

I personally would like to have Oceania stay smaller rather than larger. There may be no rationale for that, it's just the way I feel. And as I say that, I admit that we enjoyed our Marina cruise last October very much and did find some advantages to the larger ship!

I don't anticipate Insignia's return, but I'd be delighted to have her come back home.

Mura

Some good news: Hapag-Lloyd (not P&O), while unfortunately allowing smoking on the balconies on Columbus 2, will otherwise maintain Oceania's smoking policies, so the interiors will not be smokier.

In the policies for Columbus 2, Hapag-Lloyd's website states:

"SMOKING

Smoking is prohibited in all cabins and suites (except on the balconies) and in all public indoor areas. On the Pool Deck (starboard) and in the Observation Lounge (portside), you will find designated smoking areas."

http://www.hl-************/redwork/do.php?layoutid=100&node=341827&language=2

So, if Insignia returns, the amount of smoke inside the ship should not be any different than it has been in the past.

Hmmmm. Cruise Critic has changed the link inserted, above, probably because part of Hapag-Lloyd's website name bears a strong resemblance to a cruise-booking company.

Some good news: Hapag-Lloyd (not P&O), while unfortunately allowing smoking on the balconies on Columbus 2, will otherwise maintain Oceania's smoking policies, so the interiors will not be smokier.

In the policies for Columbus 2, Hapag-Lloyd's website states:

"SMOKING

Smoking is prohibited in all cabins and suites (except on the balconies) and in all public indoor areas. On the Pool Deck (starboard) and in the Observation Lounge (portside), you will find designated smoking areas."

http://www.hl-************/redwork/do.php?layoutid=100&node=341827&language=2

So, if Insignia returns, the amount of smoke inside the ship should not be any different than it has been in the past.

Hmmmm. Cruise Critic has changed the link inserted, above, probably because part of Hapag-Lloyd's website name bears a strong resemblance to a cruise-booking company.

Do you "really" think this ship will ever again be an Oceania ship? I doubt it!:(

They claim more space per passenger but I find that space is a false figure. They may have more space but it is taken up by the square footage of 8 to 10 restauraunts, ships,bars, lounges,and other revenue spacees...not cabin size or free deck space.
Since we have not been on those large ships, we have no first hand inforrmation to report. We have been on the Regatta and Nautica once each, but not the Insignia. We loved the R ships, but in any case, we don't have money to try new ships for the foreseeable future, not the ever more expensive cruises!

We have just returned from cruising on the Insignia on the South American Splendours voyage, from Rio de Janeiro to Valparaiso (3 - 22 Januay 2012). What an amazing trip. We saw some of the most beautiful parts of the world and South America need not stand back to any of Europe or America's great cities. Only the people are much nicer:). Southern Chile rivals Alaska and Norway in natural beauty. The Insignia, like Oceania's other "R" class vessels was wonderful and it would be a great shame if she does not return to the fleet. We have also sailed on the Nautica, and we feel the same for these smaller vessels. Large vessels are not for us. We also enjoy the freedom of eating where you like, few children if any and no photographers. Oceania will do well by discontinuing to allow smokers in Horizons. We often go up there in the early mornings when it is quiet for coffee and to whatch when entering a port, or on sea days, to meditate in the quiet while viewing the great ocean. Unfortunately the smell is not great at all. Why should a few smokers spoil it for the vast majority of non-smkers and force all to inhale second hand smoke against their will?

We had dinner one evening with the General Manager who said that the Insignia is only out for charter and they expect it will be back. The ship will be going to Hapag Lloyd as is - even the crockery and cutlery will remain on Board. Apparently Hapag-Lloyd is building a new ship and they want to use Insignia until the new vessle is ready. Let's hope that is so.

That would be great if true, and I have no reason to believe he would have lied to you about that. It makes perfect sense to charter one ship while you wait for a new one to be built.

Crossing my fingers!

Mura

Ship charters can be funny things. It almost entirely depends on how well the Insignia holds up mechanically while being operated by the German crew.

The Insignia is 14 years old as I write this, and machinery generally develops some quirks over that amount of time, which the Oceania crew is now experienced in dealing with. Think about the idiosyncrasies that develop in a car that is over ten years old.

5068ee8_27.jpeg Another issue is that renters don't always exercise the same level of care as an owner will.

Ah well......Time will tell. :p

• 1 month later...

We just got back from the February 7th sailing from Valparaiso to Rio de Janeiro. What a wonderful time we had. Most of the crew already know where they will be going after the Insignia sails for the last time in April. I think a lot of the crew is sad to leave the Insignia. David Peterson did a great job as Cruise Director and his dry sense of humour was enjoyed. We enjoyed the entertainment and while it is not as flashy as the big ships, it certainly left us feeling as if we had a good night out. The one thing we missed was that none of the dining venues offered French Onion soup at any time during the cruise. We did not use the ships tours but instead had arranged our own private tours. We did participate in Team Trivia, the golf challenges as well as table tennis tournaments which meant that we met a lot of wonderful people. The only dining venue that we were disappointed in was the Polo Club. One evening we had to wait 80 minutes between our appetizer and the main course. The next time we ate there, we had superb service. Would I recommend this cruise. Most definitely. The scenery was fantastic and the penguins adorable.

We are much anticipating our Insignia transatlantic cruise in two weeks. It made me feel a bit sad to know that we were the last roll call - hopefully not forever.

I know that many people originally booked did cancel when the news came out fearing that there may be low crew morale and that the typical experience might not be there as they are "closing up shop". We are not concerned as we are traveling with a group of previous cruise friends who have gathered for this last itinerary. We look forward to having a great time!

It sounds as though David Peterson may be our CD, unless he is leaving the ship early??

We'll give the ship a fond pat for all of you and turn out the lights as we disembark :)

We loved the old Marco Polo and then the Insignia and soon we will be on the Nautica and have also done Azamara. Other times larger ships, but really not anymore..we like the smaller ships..even if they don't have as many "amenities" we like the camaraderie of a smaller ship and getting to know the crew.

I hope she comes back to O.

Sherry

We also love the old R ships and even if Nautica doesn't come back to O, I hope Princess or Azamara will get her.

We recently were on the Allure with 6000 passengers and although she has much to offer, we found her unlike a traditional cruise and more like a trip to a city.Regent and oceania will continue to be our ships of choice, but we will sail other lines on their smaller ships.

~Doris~

We also love the old R ships and even if Nautica doesn't come back to O, I hope Princess or Azamara will get her.

~Doris~

Nautica is not going anywhere

Insignia is chartered/leased by Hapag LLoyd

Archived