Packing pros, please help!

DEWGirl

I just bought some new luggage because mine was falling apart. It includes a 25 inch suitcase, a 21 inch carry-on, and a 20 inch duffel. I'm driving to my port so weight limits, etc isn't an issue. I'm a "bigger" girl and my clothes take up more room than a normal person and I'm concernced about everything fitting. Though, I always tend to over-pack in the first place. What do I absolutely need for a 7 day 8 night cruise?

Can I wear lounge/yoga pants during the day? I have several pairs of those and would rather not have to buy too much that I would most likely not wear often, if ever again. I'm generally a jeans person unless I'm at home, which is when the yoga pants come in to play.

Hi,

You don't say where you are going on your cruise??

There is no reason you couldn't wear yoga pants or jeans or whatever else you want during the day.

You might even bring some loose cover up type dresses that are comfy and easy to pack.

You may not believe this but I manage to pack for 9 day cruises with only a 22inch carryon + backpack.

It is not how large your clothes are but how you pack!

Yes, you can wear yoga pants during the day. Personally, I would avoid any that look like pajamas. Jeans go with everything.

I find shoes, toiletries, med kit & electrical kit take up more room than my clothes.

There are several threads on packing light on this forum . Very good info.

Basically start with a limited number of shoes and neutral bottoms. Change the tops. Mix and match so that most things go with most other things. Layer, no need to bring the bulky jacket.

DD is able to pack in a carry on, even packing several of her size 11 shoes in there.

Last cruise in November was a 9 day. I packed one pair of jeans, pair of black knit pants (kindof like sweatshirt material) and 8 tops (I call the material 'tissue' poly, it's extremely thin). For formal night I wore a pair of black pants and two tops. Also packed a pair of sandals and a pair of formal shoes. Might have packed a pair of shorts. I wore a pair of jeans, a top, sneakers and the cardigan for embark.

If the tops weren't thin I would have brought less of them. They all packed into a small cube. We also used the ship's laundry.

I am going on a four day tomorrow and will pack less shirts and only one formal outfit. Why is it it is easier to pack for a week cruise than a shorter one?

Where you're headed will determine what you bring...if it's a Caribbean cruise...bring summer clothes...it's hot!

If it's an Alaskan or N. Eastern cruise, jeans or long pants....shirts you can layer...a lightweight jacket....proper shoes for the climate...that's the sort of stuff you need.

You can rewear things that aren't soiled....so don't worry about having something for every single change!

Some ships have self-laundries...take advantage if that's the case. Others, you'll have to use the ships laundy and pay those prices...if you don't want to do that...bring a few extra things!

Bring the toiletries//hair stuff you need to look and feel great!

Packing cubes that come in 3 different sizes. If interested you can find them on Rick Steve's gear site and the Magellan Travel gear site. They are amazing space savers plus if you like for your clothes to stay the way you folded them these will do the job for you. I packed for 7 weeks in Europe in a 25" suitcase with the help of the packing cubes. Obviously I had to get laundry done along the way but I would never have been able to get everything in my bag without the cubes, they are great.

http://travelstore.ricksteves.com/catalog/index.cfm?fuseaction=product&theParentId=122&id=102

http://www.magellans.com/store/Packing_Aids___Packing_Cubes___Folders

I'm not one who will wear a shirt/blouse more then one day without it being cleaned, but that's just me.

A lot depends on not only where you're going but on which line. Carnival and Princess (and some of the more premium lines) have self-service laundries. For us, as we're tending to take longer cruises now or ones with a land trip attached, that's important.

Many cruiselines have a buffet available at dinner time if you don't want to bring formal clothes (and by formal, many cruiselines consider a nice dress good enough -- I'll often bring cocktail dresses) or have a completely relaxed dress code.

I have some loosefitting pants that I wear a lot during the winter, but they would be too warm for the Caribbean. So I stick with sundresses or capris for day wear and smart casual dinners. I found even jeans too warm for the tropical itineraries.

My DW is " bigger" also ;) but when we pack we do things like put socks and underthings inside of shoes, ect. We also like to use those vacuum bags that you can roll the air out of which creates more space :D you can get them at walmart. Hope this helps. P.S. dont forget to put any kind of liquids in ziplock bags so they don't leak.

I love this website for packing tips: http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/2010/05/06/business/businessspecial/20100506-pack-ss-12.html

Have a great cruise!

I use the roll up method my cousin tought me, she is a packing genius. It always is a great space-saver, especially with jeans as they tend to be the bulkiest item I pack next to shoes. I did learn something from that slideshow though - about if you have less clothes and dressy clothes that you don't want wrinkled. That was brillant - never thought of packing that way, way cool. Thanks for sharing Jan :)

I use the roll up method my cousin tought me, she is a packing genius. It always is a great space-saver, especially with jeans as they tend to be the bulkiest item I pack next to shoes. I did learn something from that slideshow though - about if you have less clothes and dressy clothes that you don't want wrinkled. That was brillant - never thought of packing that way, way cool. Thanks for sharing Jan :)

I always use the bundle method, but if I'm going a couple of places where I'll need different styles of clothes, I bundle them separately so that I don't have to completely un-bundle everything. I use the same method when using cubes so that I will have complete outfits in each bundle (including underwear, jewelry, etc). :)

I always use the bundle method, but if I'm going a couple of places where I'll need different styles of clothes, I bundle them separately so that I don't have to completely un-bundle everything. I use the same method when using cubes so that I will have complete outfits in each bundle (including underwear, jewelry, etc). :)

When I saw the cube idea I just wouldn't go for it personally although using it to sort your outfits seems nice in a practical sense. Seemed like depending on the deminsions of your suitcase (well if you buy Rick's suitecase designed specifically to fit those cubes) that you would just me leaving gaps and empty space in the suitcase. When I pack, I like to literally take the smallest suitcase I can and fill ever square millimeter of it! :D Of course, now with the airlines and the cost of going over weight and size limits, you have to pack smart.

On another note, I'm no size 8, so my clothes also take up more room. I've found that skirts are a lot cooler to wear than shorts but depending on the material they can take up more space than a skimpy pair of shorts :( One thing though I didn't think to bring was a light weight hoodie or cardigane sweater to wear while in the theater or ice show on board - it got chilly in there with the A/C on full blast. Sure, in the caribbean the last thing I was thinking was I needed a jacket :eek:

When I saw the cube idea I just wouldn't go for it personally although using it to sort your outfits seems nice in a practical sense. Seemed like depending on the deminsions of your suitcase (well if you buy Rick's suitecase designed specifically to fit those cubes) that you would just me leaving gaps and empty space in the suitcase. When I pack, I like to literally take the smallest suitcase I can and fill ever square millimeter of it! :D Of course, now with the airlines and the cost of going over weight and size limits, you have to pack smart.

On another note, I'm no size 8, so my clothes also take up more room. I've found that skirts are a lot cooler to wear than shorts but depending on the material they can take up more space than a skimpy pair of shorts :( One thing though I didn't think to bring was a light weight hoodie or cardigane sweater to wear while in the theater or ice show on board - it got chilly in there with the A/C on full blast. Sure, in the caribbean the last thing I was thinking was I needed a jacket :eek:

BTW, Thanks for your/husband's service! (The whole family makes the sacrifice). I appreciate the brave people who choose to serve their country!:)

First: I use large zip lock bags. I fold each item of clothing, slip it into the bag, sit on it to squeeze out the air, and then zip it closed. The bags also help protect my clothing in case the suitcase sits outside in the rain while being loaded onto the plane.

Second suggestion: I've carefully tracked what I packed on cruises and then actually used. If I packed but didn't use/wear something for two-three cruises, I quit bringing it.

Third suggestion: Quick-dry clothing.

I now pack the same amount for a seven day cruise or a 33-day cruise.

For the Carribbean, I bring

3 - 4 comfortable knit sundresses that have pockets - great place to stick my cruise card to wear most days

one pair of casual sandals

water shoes

one pair of dress sandals

2 swimsuits

1 pair nice black pants

3 - 4 tops

one sweater to wear with all the sundresses and the tops

2 evening outfits (sometimes I just bring 2 dressy tops to go with the black pants)

sleep shirt

Of the above, I usually wear one of the sundresses and the sweater and one of the pairs of sandals on the plane. If it is cold out, I'll wear the pants and a top on the plane and wear a pair of skechers. Most of my outfits are black and a color, so I bring black earrings and 1 watch and my "travel" wedding ring.

I bring basic makeup plus moisturizer.

I too am a bigger girl and DH is no slouch either. :) We cruised for the first time last April (Western Caribbean) and I overpacked big time which included a over-weight fee for one suitcase. Having gone crazy last year, I'll minimize big time in March.

We are flying to FLL so I'll be wearing jeans, casual shirt and light jacket with my most comfortable shoes. Other than that, I will pack:

2-3 pr shorts

1 pr yoga pants (for Movies under the stars)

6 tops that can dress up/down

2 swimsuits

dress sandals

comfy sandals

one skirt and/or dress for formal night(s)

1-2 pr PJs

Color-coordinate your wardrobe so everything can mix/match.

I will definitely use the self-service laundry (squeeze some travel packs of Tide and your own dryer sheets too).

One tip I picked up before my first cruise was a hanging shoe organizer to hang in the closet for my toiletries and whatnot. It doesn't take up much space in the suitcase or the closet but keeps the bathroom tidy. Also, DH and I never leave home without a collapsable hamper (lays flat at bottom of suitcase). When it gets full, I pop a load in to wash.

I hope this helps!

PS - Leave plenty of room for those souveniers. :)

Caribbean in March. I'm definitely using the 25 inch. I don't know whether to also use the carry-on or the duffel.

My concern about yoga pants/jeans is that it is REALLY HOT in the Caribbean in March. Are you comfortable in crop pants, sundresses, shorts? These would be much cooler. I packed for a 12 day cruise with one carry-on and one rolling suitcase.

Pack first in a laundry basket, put everything you want to take in the basket. Then, remove half of it.;)

For my last cruise, I packed for 7 days doing carry on only. 4 days were on the ship where I wore 2 outfits each day (casual for day, dress for night). The only things I rewore were a couple of pairs of capris (I don’t wear shorts!) that were hardly used the first time. I didn't do laundry once. I had tons of toiletries; I don't use any of the ship's products. I even had a hair dryer. I took 4 pairs of shoes and even managed to fit 8 new pairs of sandals in my bag to take home to family as well as some other things acquired on the trip. It's about packing it smartly, tightly rolling clothes, not packing air. I even fit 6 20oz bottles of soda in my tote bag. (Took 1 rolling and 1 tote bag).

I went to visit my family for a month over Christmas. I did buy shampoo and conditioner when I got there. I had room enough for travel sized bottles but I would have ran out before the month was over, my hair is really long, so I just bought some at Walmart when I got there. I'm a size 18 and I was packing to go to a snowy area--bulkier clothes. I took a 21” rolling carry on and small duffel as my personal item (with a purse in one of the bags to use once I got there). The duffel is the really small kind with a strap to go over the handle of the roller. 14x10x9

I don't like to wear the same tops over and over so I had I think 4 tank tops, 6-8 short sleeved shirts, 2-3 long sleeved shirts, 4 cardigans. 3-4 pairs of pants/jeans, a skirt, a dress, 3 pairs of pj bottoms, 10 pairs of socks, 10 pairs of undies, 4 bras, a thick hoodie, and my long heavy coat. I had a curling iron, straightening iron, full size hair dryer, 3 hairbrushes, 3-4 pairs of shoes (size 10!), a scarf, gloves, feminine hygiene products, perfume, hair spray, all of my makeup, a large jewelry bag, a sewing kit that is approx 12x8x3 (I was taking a class), some Christmas gifts, food, magazines, 2 books, my 10 inch tablet and cord, cell phone and cord, lots of medication, makeup remover, lotion, cotton swabs, etc, etc. I brought so much I can't even remember it all but before packing I was convinced it would never fit, it was that much stuff. Visually it looked like I would need 2 large bags to fit it all.

I actually had space to bring more! I even planned on wearing the hoodie and carrying my coat because both are bulky and take up a lot of space but I was able to fit the hoodie inside and still had extra room. I took so much stuff and didn't have to leave anything at home that I would want during the month long trip. I did do laundry but I brought enough clothes that I only did laundry twice except a few things like my favorite jeans were probably washed 3 times.[/font]

We love using the zip lock bags. They even have 2-1/2-3 gallon ones. Perfect for shoes and larger items of clothing. They also make packing and unpacking, getting ready to shower, etc. easy and fast. Undies in one size, larger pieces go in larger zip locks. Jewelry in snack size and sandwich size, make-up and toiletries in zip locks. Just open the suitcase, wipe out the drawers and toss the ziplocks in. Same for re-packing. Saves you valuable time on the last day/night. For the hanger clothes that might wrinkle we usually just hang them on the wire hanger in the thin dry-cleaner bags, folded in half in the suitcase. Little or no wrinkles. Carry a travel size bottle of Downey Wrinkle Release. Works wonders along with running a steam in the shower to draw out any wrinkles. No need to carry a steamer and travel irons aren't allowed. We've gone to a short black dress instead of the long ones for formal nights. We color coordinate (usually blacks and/or browns) to cut down on shoes. We go RCI so no self-serve laundry. If we need to, we use the mid-week laundry bag special ($20-25 for everything you can stuff into a plastic bag they provide for wash and fold. Nicely allows us to re-wear. We usually buy a t-shirt or 2 as a souvenior so we don't carry as many t-shirs as we used to because we know we will acquite 1 or 2 while on the cruise. Flip flops or sandals for the pool/beach. Sneakers that we wear onto the ship as they take up more space in the suitcase. One pair of dressier shoes for the 2 formal nights. We use a couple of the knit drop-on dresses. They fold and don't wrinkle, their cool in the heat and take up very little room. These are used for touring or casual night dinner in the MDR. We NEVER carry jeans to warm weather. They take up too much room, they're too hot and after a few meals in the buffet, too uncomfortable (LOL). Enjoy your trip!

After we had a security guard literally take out everything out of my carryon, I got very interested in packing cubes. I had used a lot of ziplocs, but not everything could go in the ziplocs, and they don't fit as well in a suitcase as packing cubes do. We use packing envelopes and packing cubes. We used to use compression bags, but I found they tend to be thicker in the middle, so they didn't fit well either. We've been taking quick dry underwear. After we got to the ship, we only wore two pairs of underwear. I would sink wash one in the morning, and it would be dry by the next morning. The last two days, we even washed out Thorlo Socks. They also dried by the next morning! Looking for some quick dry clothing to bring too. We each take one pair of shoes and wear a pair of shoes. I don't worry about dress shoes on formal night, because the photographer isn't going to shoot my feet! We always pack an extra pair of shoes in case the first starts rubbing.

I admit I didn't take the time to read all the replies but I wanted to share something my daughter told me. I was worried about what I was wearing and my dd said." don't worry mom, everyone else is too worried about how they look to care about how you look." and I believe she was right. Wear what you are comfortable in as long as you don't look really sloppy or inappropriate everything will be fine.

Archived