Concordia News: Please Post Here

kingcruiser1

Took a few days away from here but kept up with checking in on Giglio and Genoa. After over a couple of years of hitting the Giglio site daily it has become routine.

Luis, the pix you posted made me think of an innocent victim going to the gallows. I know that sounds dramatic but it was my first impression. The ship, along with thousands of passengers and crew, were all victims of an inept Captain.

MM, thanks for all your links.

Balf, I tend to agree with you. I doubt the care would have been taken had this happened elsewhere. Course one can never be sure what any gov't may require, even at an off tourist or non protected marine area. It's likely the fuel would have been removed and the ship chopped up and hauled away or just allowed to sink.

Sid, it is strange not to see Concordia there. I watched the video link CTH provided. Without the ship there to focus on one can really see how much other traffic moves in and out of that port daily. ;)

Kooking at the Parbuckle camera this morning, the last of the towers is now gone and apart from the 4 legged platform and I think Buccaneer on the edge of the screen the surface is a scene we haven't seen before.

Hard to imagine the scene only a few weeks ago.

Do we know what they intend to do with the underwater platform ?

Has anyone found a decent webcam showing CC in Genoa?

Nothing to see here.... move along.... that's the feeling I now have when I look at the Giglio webcams. This is what it used to look like before many of us even knew this island existed. I will keep looking regularly to see if I catch a glance of the works for removing the grout bags or even the platforms if they decide to remove them.

Edited by luisrp

The final act in this drama, apart from the dismantling of course is the trial. Do we know how many charges have been made and when the trial will reach a verdict.

What's the bet that the captain will escape a jail sentence.

David.

Clive, the last I heard is probably the same as you've heard. There are 2 camps; one has remove all of it on the agenda and the other is removal of bags but leave the platforms.

I tend to think cost will determine the outcome.

As for a cam, the only one I know of is the not so clear one we have already.

Balf, last "guess" I read was late 2015 or possibly going into 2016.

There is a part of me that thinks after the embarrassment the Italians felt at what "one of theirs did" that the Captain will see jail time. It's been said time heals all wounds so we'll just have to wait it out.

The isola del Giglio, where it remains an open question of decommissioning of the shipyard of the Costa Concordia, Greenpeace seeks to initiate a transparent process that begins with a visit to the shipyard's facilities and ports to develop an "Parco della Concordia", which guarantees the real recovery and valorisation of the area of Gabbianara.

Greenpeace today expressed, in a letter to Environment Minister Gian Luca Galletti, worry that a recovery project foolhardy can further damage an area already hard hit by the disaster of the Costa Concordia. European directives clearly indicate that there is an obligation for Costa to repair the environmental damage so far made, but also emphasize the need to prevent new ones. And it is precisely the public authorities must ensure that this happens, giving indications on the measures to be taken.

«Before the mad dash to contracts, we demand a transparent assessment of the conditions of the area and precise instructions on how to proceed in order to avoid environmental damage new facts, "said Giorgia Monti, Greenpeace Italy Sea campaign."For this reason we have also asked the Minister to participate in Greenpeace as independent observers immediate inspection of structures».

Greenpeace has tracked towing operations of the Costa Concordia and now intends to ensure that decommissioning projects are performed in the best possible way. Must be guaranteed first of all the reclamation of the seabed and marine ecosystem recovery, avoiding millionaires projects well unsuccessful as transplantation of posidonia. Among the issues to be evaluated also the possibility that the permanence of a small part of the shipyard's facilities may be less detrimental to the total removal and promote the restoration of damaged habitat from loss and from the pipeline.

"The tragedy of the sinking will always remain imprinted in the history of the island: to honor the memory of the victims Greenpeace intends to establish a" Parco della Concordia "which would represent an opportunity to develop economic activities such as tourism and technological excellence marine diver, able to compensate for the Giglio island and its inhabitants for the loss suffered continuous Mountains".

Environmentalists are worried about the questions that remain open after the transfer of the Costa Concordia. Greenpeace wants all this phase to be addressed transparently and, therefore asked the Minister Galletti set up a technical table that you occupied as well as the reclamation and restoration of the lily beds, even the process of dismantling of the wreck in Genoa.

"We have the opportunity to turn this tragedy into a case of environmental excellence. It is important that the Government will not waste, ensuring appropriate planning with a real recovery of the image of the Isola del Giglio, severely harmed by the sinking, and ensuring that the experience of the disposal in Italy of the Costa Concordia will not remain an isolated "case" but become an opportunity to create environmentally friendly alternatives to ship cemeteries in Turkey, India and other Asian Countries, "said Monti.

http://www.giglionews.it/2014/08/06/greenpeace-apre-parzialmente-alle-piattaforme/

Do I remember right that today and tomorrow they are going to search Decks 3 & 4 to try and find Russell. They seem to think he could be more likely on Deck 3

Disturbing, but this article states that they have found a skull, but also says that a headless body was found in the same area previously.

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/costa-concordia-human-skull-found-aboard-cruise-liner-1460069

ETA Another link: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/ap/article-2717885/Bone-fragments-shipwrecked-Concordia.html

Edited by MorganMars

More here:

Costa Concordia captain's seminar sparks row at Italy's biggest university

Sapienza University says it condemns action of professor who invited Francesco Schettino, who is on trial charged with manslaughter

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/aug/06/costa-concordia-captain-seminar-row-italy-biggest-university

To quote a famous Coast Guard officer... oh wait, I can't because such language isn't allowed here. :rolleyes:

But you get the drift.

MM, your link offers a little more info on the speaking engagement. According to yours, Schettino invited himself once he heard about it. Reading through I get the impression that Schettino once again wanted to play the International crew and misunderstanding line. He went in not to educate but to plead his case that the helmsman was responsible.

As the people attending were from a well known school with some of the brightest students one can hope they saw this for what it was. It's not just a matter of what happened on the Bridge prior to the accident but his actions after disaster struck.

As to the recovery on board, I tend to think it may be Maria since the find was in the area where she was located.

I will continue to hold out hope for Russel.

Clive, I found this link whilst reading your link. When I scanned through the pix in it I remembered seeing the man pictured giving an interview with Republica TV and wondered what his part was in Concordia. Now I know.

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/costa-concordia-elderly-sailor-defies-security-farwell-cruise-liner-1457969

Sid, I also wonder why Greenpeace is still involved in this. I must say I think those in charge of everything Concordia have been overly cautious of the environment where this project is concerned. It really, imo, comes off as just a way to keep their name in the paper. There are other places where they could better concentrate their efforts.

Edited by SomeBeach

From AOL.com news:

The Concordia was towed from its Tuscan graveyard last month to Genoa's port where it will be turned into scrap. During a search of the ship Wednesday, authorities found some bone fragments that they said could belong to the one person still unaccounted for from the tragedy: Indian waiter Russel Rebello. They said the bones could also belong to an Italian passenger whose partial, mutilated remains were found some months ago.

On a different side of things, just found out from the local news that Nick Sloane is here in Puerto Rico (where I live) these days. He will be a guest speaker at some engineering convention this weekend. The local news interviewed him nowhere else but in front of one of the cruise piers in San Juan with one big cruise ship in the background.

http://newsismybusiness.com/engineers-concordia-conference/

This is the interview (in Spanish): http://www.wapa.tv/noticias/especiales/arquitecto-de-operativos-de-salvamento_20131122243358.html

Tonka ... I doubt it is the done thing in Italy! I re watched a programme i have had saved on my sky hd box about the Camorra in Naples, one of the prosecutors said that it can sometimes take a number of years before a trial decision is given ... :eek:

Edited by sidari

I am really wondering when his lawyer is finally going to gag that fool!

AKK

Skipper

I may have posted my professional opinion regarding this query on the sister thread.

Capt. Schittino exhibits all the attributes and mannerisms of a very special type of criminal defendant.

In the cold light of his actions and their results, his commentaries exhibit the hallmarks of an egomaniacal sociopath.

An egomaniac can not be told anything by anyone, especially to keep quiet.

A Sociopath is unable to feel compassion for others and does not have remorse or guilt.

His attorneys must accept the fact that their client will keep running his motor mouth.

This will keep public awareness of his despicable nature alive, well and current.

John

Edited by Uniall

Another link here. An expert on panic management. Perfect.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/public/share/uuid/f3d1d18c-1d6f-11e4-8c91-480b774db977

David.

Dave

It makes perfect sense to me that Captain Schittino would be invited as a guest lecturer for a Graduate course on panic management.

The topic of his lecture and syllabus could be entitled:

"Panic Management at Sea, What Not To Do" :eek::rolleyes:;):D

John

Edited by Uniall

Part of an article in Giglio News:

But it is much more likely that those remains are not of Russel. The bones were found on deck 3, in an area where months ago during research on the wreck to the lily, was recovered the mutilated corpse of Mrs. Maria Grazia Sicilian Taneja. The guarded the dishwashing room. The civil defence has informed the family of woman and Indian. But will the dna examination to determine to whom to attribute those bones. Although all lean that they are remnants of the Taneja who was found decapitated and without a hand. The remains will be transferred to legal medicine.

During the second day of activities, searches were concentrated in the aft deck 4 area, where, according to the testimonies of those who worked at Lily, could be Rebello at the moment when the ship could find Laurin straight on the cliff side of the lily. Here were busy firefighters, the coast guard divers, divers of the Guardia di finanza.

The teams move between mud, overturned furniture. Other divers of the firemen and divers of The Navy did a survey on the decks 1 and 2 to identify the most suitable area to accommodate the operational platform for underwater activities on deck 1, still completely submerged. Water visibility is improved, which will facilitate the research.

http://www.giglionews.it/2014/08/06/la-concordia-restituisce-ossa-umane/

Itr appears that they have begun to remove the grout bags in Giglio. There is a crane barge in the vicinity of where the wreck used to be lifting something from the water. Its hoisting cable is in the water.