NCL a "bargain cruise line"??

cruizecrazygramma

As someone who has yet to cruise NCL but always interested in their ships and itineraries, I think NCL has a reputation, or perception among non-NCL cruisers, that it is a bargain cruiseline. By reading this forum, cruise reports and NCL material, I have a fairly good idea of what the NCL experience will be like, and I think my family and I will actually enjoy it (we have twice booked NCL ... once on the Star and once on the Pearl but subsequently have to cancel them because of various reasons).

For some others cruisers, whether they have cruised many times on other lines or not, they may have a different set of metrics/standards to measure how good or not good a cruise experience is. A very casual dining experience or freestyle could be a major deal breaker to them. So if something is different from their "standard", it "cheapen" their experience and hence no good to them.

The word "different" to me doesn't necessary mean "good" or "bad". It just means different. I won't know if I like it or not until I try it.

I do get the impression that with Epic, and the new ships Breakaway and Getaway, NCL is trying to change this bargain cruiseline reputation. Breakaway's price on those Bermuda itinerary is certainly not a bargain. :p

I've only sailed NCL once, last year on Epic in a suite. We LOVED it, and we'd had some pretty great cruise experiences prior to that. We generally found the service on the ship to be excellent, and the special metallic key-card didn't come out until the end of service when we were paying, so I don't think crew generally knew we were Courtyard passengers until AFTER they had helped us. I felt that the crew was very professional and personable, across the board. The worst service we had was-- wait for it-- from our butler!! :eek: It wasn't really bad, just not what it should have been. I found this ship to be well-designed and well-kept, the food was good (although not the desserts), and the entertainment was excellent. We could cruise on a "fancier" line, but we're going on Epic again in a few weeks because we had such a great time last year and there are a bunch of things we didn't get around to doing on the first cruise. Can't wait!!:D

If someone wants to spend $6000 plus for a super deluxe cabin with a whirlpool, let them. I, personally, don't spend much time in a cabin and like to be out and about! The sun and water are the same! I have cruised on small ships and medium-sized ships and had a blast on both. I am looking forward to my first big-ship experience.

We booked the Epic for a 7 nt. Med. out of Rome for less than $1,000 p/p for a balcony cabin. In some cases that price is more than $1,000 less than any other mass market cruise line. It was a STEAL for me.

But I have never felt I was treated worse than Haven guests. Most of them stay in the Haven area, so unless you are carrying your room key around your neck for the staff to see, outside of the Haven they have no idea who is staying there and who isn't.

I have been on the Spirit several times this year with four people in two cabins with like rooms across the hall from each other on the same floor and had four different colors.

On our last cruise to Bermuda, my wife and I had different colored key cards and we were in the same inside cabin.

1. LynneL. i had already booked the epic. I'm thrilled with my choice as i was in need of a change after sailing only princess before. I love the idea of freestyle and dressing up or not, it suits me perfectly. I take all reviews for what they are and that is someones opinion to which they are entitled. We were quite dissapointed with our last princess cruise. It doesnt mean we had a bad time, quite the contrary, we had a fabulous time but still there were things that we expected based on our previous princess sailings that just were not there. I'll definately sail princess again but for this trip we felt it time to see what else was out there.

I've gone on 28 cruises now & the Epic was my most recent (only my 2nd on NCL). Epic was by far my favorite!!! Loved that ship, the entertainment, found the food great & I had my little granddaughter along so that just the topper to it all! We enjoyed everything & would book it again.

I know what you mean about wanting to see what's out there. I had done so many Carnival cruises I could tell you what I would be choosing on the menu for each night's dinner before I set foot on the ship. Always had great cruises but just too predictable, so we started choosing other lines.

Crown Princess was up there as one of my top cruises but that was 5 years ago so I wonder if I'd feel the same now or if things changed a bit? Oh dear...I may just have to go on another to see - lol.

Have a wonderful time on the Epic Gramma!

I think what bothered me most about the thread was there were a few responses that were 100% heresay. "I heard NCL's food is awful". What??

If you went on a cruise and hated it (for whatever reason - they didn't have purple towels so it ruined your cruise)...that's fine. Your opinion is valid because it's yours.

But to hate a particular cruiseline because you "heard" it wasn't good is absurd.

I've never sailed Carnival and "heard" it wasn't good - too much partying - crappy food. BUT....I would never go on a thread and say "Carnival is horrible" because I have ZERO basis to do so. Even if my husband was the one telling me, I still have no basis. I didn't experience it.

This is exactly why I'm not worried about my upcoming NCL cruise! I've learned to take everything with a grain of salt. If I believed everything I read or heard, I may never have gone on my first cruise (which was with Carnival). That cruise was a wonderful and unforgettable experience which was excellent in every way. So I'm pretty confident that my upcoming NCL will be just as fabulous, despite all the bashing. Besides, for every negative thing I've read about NCL I've read 10 positives. There's gotta be a reason why there are so many loyal NCL'ers...I can't wait to find out for myself!

This is exactly why I'm not worried about my upcoming NCL cruise! I've learned to take everything with a grain of salt. !

Agree!

Things I read on here:

Carnival was a party line....ships full of drunks, puking all over

(it isn't)

Royal Caribbean FAR better than CCL in every way and there is a huge difference

(It wasn't)

NCL is just awful...service is horrendous, they nickel and dime you to death

(So far from the truth that it's hysterical)

Celebrity is a step above all mass market cruise lines and more in line with the luxury lines

(nope...)

I learned valuable lessons on these boards over the years from many people with lots of experience. CC members have saved me a lot of money as well. This web site is fabulous in so many ways...BUT when it comes to personal preference, well, that's personal. What one person likes or dislikes may very well be very different from what anyone else thinks is good or bad. You have no way of knowing unless you try a line for yourself. The reviews are good in that you can get a general idea of what to expect, but nothing more than that.

Agree!

Things I read on here:

(it isn't)

(It wasn't)

Celebrity is a step above all mass market cruise lines and more in line with the luxury lines

(nope...)

I learned valuable lessons on these boards over the years from many people with lots of experience. CC members have saved me a lot of money as well. This web site is fabulous in so many ways...BUT when it comes to personal preference, well, that's personal. What one person likes or dislikes may very well be very different from what anyone else thinks is good or bad. You have no way of knowing unless you try a line for yourself. The reviews are good in that you can get a general idea of what to expect, but nothing more than that.

Truth is there are more similarities between the mass market cruise lines than differences.

My Mom, who has been on 7 cruises with us, just mentioned the other day about Carnival and the drunk-fest, puking, partying, crime stuff as she saw it on one of the news programs. She said "I'm glad I never saw it on any of our Carnival cruises, I guess that's why they're the cheapest, you get that with cheap" (not verbatim but the jist of the conversation). I was saying to myself What the H*** are you talking about? I could see the comment back in the day when Carnival was putting Barcardi 151 in their "drinks of the day." By GOD I got smashed on a few of those, not knowing how much liquor was in them. Yes over the years we've seen a few "idiots." They're on land as well, by the way.

A classmate of mine from high school will only sail RCI. Well good for you, you make over 100 grand a year and can throw money around. I can't. And no - I'm not out looking for a Walmart cruise line either.

I find NCL and their "freestyle" best suits our needs. We are very happy to come and go as we please and the staff treats us like royalty. They engage passengers of all age groups and I find the officers to not only be very friendly, but to also assist passengers any way they can.

As Halos said, the boards here are very helpful as you will learn to weed out some wacky comments versus the general consensus of most travelers here.

Things I read on here:

(it isn't)

(It wasn't)

(nope...)

halos....my sentiments exactly.

I sailed Celebrity because it was supposed to be the "premium" cruise experience. It wasn't. Not even close. Matter of fact, probably my least favorite.

NCL...well, I never heard anything bad about them. I kept reading reviews (with pics) regarding the Epic. So, I chose to cruise on it. So far, it's my favorite. Service was great (best I've had on any cruise). Food was great. Entertainment better than any of the cruises I've been on, also.

At some point, I do want to try NCL's suite experience. But, for the immediate future, I'm looking forward to sailing on the RC Allure.

I'll sail Carnival again, too.

All that said, I'll probably not sail Celebrity again, unless a can't resist deal pops up on one of their ships.

halos....my sentiments exactly.

I sailed Celebrity because it was supposed to be the "premium" cruise experience. It wasn't. Not even close. Matter of fact, probably my least favorite.

NCL...well, I never heard anything bad about them. I kept reading reviews (with pics) regarding the Epic. So, I chose to cruise on it. So far, it's my favorite. Service was great (best I've had on any cruise). Food was great. Entertainment better than any of the cruises I've been on, also.

At some point, I do want to try NCL's suite experience. But, for the immediate future, I'm looking forward to sailing on the RC Allure.

I'll sail Carnival again, too.

All that said, I'll probably not sail Celebrity again, unless a can't resist deal pops up on one of their ships.

Ditto for me I did not care for SILHOUETTE I will go on Celebrity if price is REALLY good but I find people HOTTY SNOTTY ..more so than on QM2Celebrity is OK ..no better

I read a thread recently which referred to NCL as a bargain line which offers better treatment of the "wealthy" suite passengers than the rest of us "lower middle class" passengers. (this is not me speaking btw). Once you are outside of your cabin, the staff does not know what cabin you are staying in, so how can they determine how to treat you?

I researched fares on different lines before choosing ncl as my next vacation. I did not find that ncl has significantly lower fares than any other comparable cruise so why is it being called a bargain cruise line?

It isn't a bargain cruise line, it is a middle of the road, mass marketed line. Normally the rates are not that much different, depending on itinerary and class of ship.

As for how they treat their standard guests compared to suite guests, of course suite guests do get perks and they should, but it the public areas, the restaurants, bars, etc everyone is treated equally.

You get what you pay for....

If you get an inside/ocean view/balcony room you will get a room similar (or smaller) as other bargain lines and pay close to the same amount (more for newer ships/less for older ships). If you get a suite you will probably pay more than those same lines but NCL gives suite guests more in terms of room sizes and services offered. It's up to the cruiser how he wants to vacation. NCL just gives you the options on what to purchase.

It's equal opportunity for everyone to purchase whatever rooms or services they want. We got 2 inside rooms for 4 on our last Epic cruise. We got what we paid for in terms of room size and service, which was more than my Carnival Cruise (1 inside room for 4) of similar length and a little less than my Disney Cruise (1 oceanview room for 4) 7 years ago. If I wanted more I would have paid for it. I certainly wasn't jealous of those who did pay for it.

I really don't understand those who through class into it. If you want more then save up and buy more. I personally, don't want or need the extra room or services offered for the higher price charged. But I do like that I have a choice when I am deciding what I want to purchase.

Funny story,,,we sailed NCL to Alaska, and while we were in Juneau, there were I beleive 2 other ships..RCCL and Princess I believe.. Well Princess was first in line at the port and NCL was a bit further away..

There was a snobbish type of person there talking to my husband and asked what line we were on..He mentioned NCL..the guy replied..oh you went cheap huh (or something to that fashion) and then proceeded to say that him and his family sailed on Princess..My husband looked at him and said..Well that's nice..the main thing is we both got here..cheap or not :)

Well we've sailed NCL, Princess, Celebrity and Disney. Of these the Disney cruise was our favorite. But our second most favorites have been the NCL and Princess cruises. Our least favorite was Celebrity. I really didn't see much difference between our NCL and Princess cruises. Very comparable in quality with NCL perhaps being just a little more relaxed and not as up tight as Princess. I thought Celebrity was very snobbish and did not feel comfortable on the cruise at all. When I eat dinner, I like to recognize what I am eating. With Celebrity it was all too artistic IMO. Little mounds of colored pureed food that could really be anything. It sure was pretty though :).

Cocktails in Star Bar. Dress-up-or-not night, where most people wear something that makes them feel like they look good. Four-course dinners in front of a wall of glass that looks over the ship's wake. Cocktails in the piano bar. Quality entertainment. Well-designed public spaces that offer a nice balance of whimsy and elegance. Sounds just like Walmart, doesn't it?;)

Cocktails in Star Bar. Dress-up-or-not night, where most people wear something that makes them feel like they look good. Four-course dinners in front of a wall of glass that looks over the ship's wake. Cocktails in the piano bar. Quality entertainment. Well-designed public spaces that offer a nice balance of whimsy and elegance. Sounds just like Walmart, doesn't it?;)

Target, at least. In a *good* neighborhood. ;)

...we sailed NCL to Alaska...

There was a snobbish type of person there talking to my husband and asked what line we were on..He mentioned NCL..the guy replied..oh you went cheap huh (or something to that fashion) and then proceeded to say that him and his family sailed on Princess..My husband looked at him and said..Well that's nice..the main thing is we both got here..cheap or not :)

Good line!

I'll keep that in mind in case we run into someone attempting to make fun of the $519pp we are paying for our oceanview cabin on the Norwegian Jewel to Alaska!

Beautifully said!

So what is all this talk about cheap, class, etc? Reminds me of school yard trash talk from someone who wants to enhance their own self-worth by downgrading other's choices.

Same "talk" goes on over on the RCI threads also - people comparing their status and perks and so forth. I say if you can afford to pay - then enjoy! It has nothing to do with everyone elses decisions to choose the line or cabin that is comfortable for them. I would never be rude to imply that someone who has the advantage of a suite is less friendly or less approachable than anyone else. Go for the champagne if you want to and can - otherwise let's just do a toast with beer.

Have been on several NCL and will be sailing on RCI Allure later in the month. Just booked another NCL for 2013. We have had success with both lines; enjoyed our cruises/food/excursions. Both lines seem to want to cater to repeat customers and treated us very very nice - so we have become repeat customers because they offer us variety, good service, and exceeds our expectations which for us equals "value". When our cruising does not meet our expectations - I will not go back.

!

We booked the Epic for a 7 nt. Med. out of Rome for less than $1,000 p/p for a balcony cabin. In some cases that price is more than $1,000 less than any other mass market cruise line. It was a STEAL for me.

But I have never felt I was treated worse than Haven guests. Most of them stay in the Haven area, so unless you are carrying your room key around your neck for the staff to see, outside of the Haven they have no idea who is staying there and who isn't.

I originally booked a balcony on Liberty of the Seas Med Cruise and it was more expensive than the $1,000.00 that you paid. My daughter joined us at the last minute and we upgraded to a Royal Family 2 bedroom suite. Epic was docked behind my aft balcony and I wondered if that ship offered a better experience. We didn't get any special treatment for all the money that my daughter paid to upgrade and the food was awful. I am looking forward to sailing on Epic in the very near future.

Not sure if that is correct, We usually book a balcony with an interior room for the kids across the hole way from us and we got the same color keys one cruise and different colors for the same cabin last year.

I also believe that is incorrect, only because I lost my card (twice) and received a different color both times.

In my view, NCL is the epitome of a "bargain cruise line".

Now, I think most people are taking the phrase to have some negative meaning, when in fact it is a positive.

When we speak of "bargains" it means that you get more than what you pay for - the value of what you're getting has a greater value than the amount of money you're paying for it. In my mind, based on that definition and our experience, Carnival is no bargain. You pay a low price, and (again, in my view), you get a product which is indicative of that low price. Likewise for Disney (yet again, in my view) - you pay a premium price, but you're going to get a premium cruise experience.

However, for the price we pay for our NCL cruises, it is a great bargain, because what we get from NCL is way, way more than we get on other cruise lines for a lesser product. We sail in suites - have done so on every cruise we've been on (except Disney because the price was out of our ballpark) and for the cost, the value of what NCL provides exceeds what all the others are offering.

"NCL is a bargain cruise line" - darn right it is! That's why we sail with NCL.

Howard