Cruise ship hit by freak wave...

DeltaOne

There's a thread on the Norwegian board about the Dawn being hit by a freak wave that broke windows on the 9th and 10th decks. The ship was diverted to Charleston for repairs and will then proceed to New York City.

Here's two threads: Here and here.

Thanks for posting this. I never go to that NCL board - I would not have known unless someone kindly posts this info.

One of the Grand class ships had windows broken out after a rough transatlantic cruise a few years ago.

Hopefully those injured were not badly injured. Definitely a cruise that they will remember.

There's a thread on the Norwegian board about the Dawn being hit by a freak wave that broke windows on the 9th and 10th decks. The ship was diverted to Charleston for repairs and will then proceed to New York City.

Here's two threads: Here and here.

Who said anything about the Dawn Princess??????

Those rogue waves can come up when you least expect them. Pretty amazing to reach that high on the ship. I saw some video one time supposedly shot from the bridge of a ship when a wave hit at that level. Yikes!

I found the following a few nights ago at www.StrangeDangers.com

Here is the link: http://www.strangedangers.com/content/item/102022.html

(The picture is just amazing!)

And here is the captions that was with it:

"Carnival Triumph in Hurricane Isabel

From someone who has sailed on cruise ships in weather like this:

There is a big slow push from the floor as the bow rise over a swell, then a slight weightless feeling as the bow drops over the edge, followed by a big shudder that rattles the entire ship as the bow smacks into the bottom of the trough (which seems to be the moment captured in the above picture - keep in mind that ship is 180 feet high above the water and 893 feet in length).

Submitted by Mystic Rhythm "

102022.jpg

There is a big slow push from the floor as the bow rise over a swell, then a slight weightless feeling as the bow drops over the edge, followed by a big shudder that rattles the entire ship as the bow smacks into the bottom of the trough (which seems to be the moment captured in the above picture - keep in mind that ship is 180 feet high above the water and 893 feet in length).

I believe that picture is a fake

The sea around the wave is too calm to support that big wave.

The ship is too level

I found the following a few nights ago at www.StrangeDangers.com

Here is the link: http://www.strangedangers.com/content/item/102022.html

(The picture is just amazing!)

And here is the captions that was with it:

Submitted by Mystic Rhythm "

http://www.strangedangers.com/images/content/102022.jpg

Not that this doesn't happen, but this picture is 100% fake. Its amazing what people will accept at face value.

I believe that picture is a fake

The sea around the wave is too calm to support that big wave.

The ship is too level

Good job catching that, to many people just accept it and then post it as "news" :) Not only are the sea conditions wrong has anyone considered where the SOURCE of the picture would be ? The picture is much to clear to have been taken from another ship getting beaten by such seas, and even if there was another ship it would not have been close enough for a picture like that.

Good job catching that, to many people just accept it and then post it as "news" :) Not only are the sea conditions wrong has anyone considered where the SOURCE of the picture would be ? The picture is much to clear to have been taken from another ship getting beaten by such seas, and even if there was another ship it would not have been close enough for a picture like that.

Actually

Picture taken from U.S. Coast Guard helicopter - 17 Sep 2003

from

http://members.dsli.com/schooner/triumph/

Coral mentions one of the Grand class having a bad time on a crossing.

That may well have been Golden Princess' 8-02 trans-Atlantic, when we hit two different storms out of the Azores. Fighting for headway in 30/40 foot seas, several windows on Prom Deck shattered, much merchandise in the shops was thrown to the deck, elevator cars were banging about in the shafts, bow slap spray raining down on balconies on Caribe Deck (deck 10), ship shuddering and creaking - we were 6 hours late into NYC. It was a bumpy crossing, but no "rogue waves" were involved, to my knowledge.

The Grand class are not good riders in heavy seas - too flat bottomed, too beamy, and very wind-prone to winds abeam.

We were in a similar sea-state storm on Royal Princess, 8-98, between Greenland and Newfoundland, and she rode it beautifully - just an occasional bump. Of course, Royal Princess has a liner-like hull, with good length/beam ratio.

Hello everyone, my apologizes to all because I posted that picture. I thought it was neat and wanted to share it with my fellow cruisers. But before I go I just wanted to clear some things up. I stated that I "found it", not that I did or did not believed it, and I certainly wasn't linking it because I was posting it as "news" or accepting it at “face value”. Please don’t assume that I am of meager mind because I posted a picture. I thought it was an amazing picture. I did not foresee any harm in it. Weather it is real or not was neither here nor there, I posted it because I thought it was an amazing picture and wanted to share it with anyone who may also find it interesting and had not seen it before-I am totally aware of what a computer can do with a picture. I did not write the captions and posted that by saying “And here is the captions that was with it:” I wasn't trying to scare anyone. I believe cruising is an awesome vacation-and would try not to spoil it for anyone! I am sorry if it did. I truly didn't mean to offend anyone by posting this picture with its caption. And hope that you can understand that this was not my intention. I certainly don't want to make anyone angry, that is not in my nature at all. My apologizes to all.

Hello everyone, my apologizes to all because I posted that picture. I thought it was neat and wanted to share it with my fellow cruisers. But before I go I just wanted to clear some things up. I stated that I "found it", not that I did or did not believed it, and I certainly wasn't linking it because I was posting it as "news" or accepting it at “face value”. Please don’t assume that I am of meager mind because I posted a picture. I thought it was an amazing picture. I did not foresee any harm in it. Weather it is real or not was neither here nor there, I posted it because I thought it was an amazing picture and wanted to share it with anyone who may also find it interesting and had not seen it before-I am totally aware of what a computer can do with a picture. I did not write the captions and posted that by saying “And here is the captions that was with it:” I wasn't trying to scare anyone. I believe cruising is an awesome vacation-and would try not to spoil it for anyone! I am sorry if it did. I truly didn't mean to offend anyone by posting this picture with its caption. And hope that you can understand that this was not my intention. I certainly don't want to make anyone angry, that is not in my nature at all. My apologizes to all.

That picture is amazing. I wish the the person who shot or was involved in that picture to come forward. This picture had been posted on this board before. No apology needed.

How did you find it. I found it going to altavista and searched pictures for "Triumph hurricane"

I thought it was neat and wanted to share it with my fellow cruisers. But before I go I just wanted to clear some things up. I stated that I "found it", not that I did or did not believed it, and I certainly wasn't linking it because I was posting it as "news" or accepting it at “face value”. Please don’t assume that I am of meager mind because I posted a picture. I thought it was an amazing picture. I did not foresee any harm in it. Weather it is real or not was neither here nor there, I posted it because I thought it was an amazing picture and wanted to share it with anyone who may also find it interesting and had not seen it before.

Right on. I thank you for the pic too. No APOLOGY necessary!! Keep on posting.

That picture is amazing. I wish the the person who shot or was involved in that picture to come forward.
It's probably some 15 year old in Kansas who's got nothing better to do than Photoshop images and then send them out on the Internet with untrue captions.

I agree that no apology is needed from the member who posted this, but we all need to remember that the picture is just a fake. Apart from anything else, it was circulating on the Internet long before Hurricane Isabel was around.

Although I suppose that I should apologise to anyone who thinks that because something's on the Internet, it must be true. :eek:

Does anyone have the link to the video of the wave that slapped a ship during a transatlantic? I saw it last year when we were planning our cruise.... someone had filmed it in the dining room just before his battery went dead...

Derf.... do you know which one I am referring to?

4_12_3.gif...............now I don't know if it is a fake or if it is not a fake. The NCL ship is true and just reading that scared the hell out of me. I do hope we never need to find out how I would react in a situation like that. I have a feeling I would be running around screaming "the sky is falling" and looking for the nearest loo. That is the first time I have ever used that word to describe a restroom, LOOk for the LOO, what do you think? Thank goodness there were no serious injuries.

Archived