Canal Cruise Itinerary Advice, Please

cruiseapril

We are considering 2 itineraries, for 2013, on the HAL Zuiderdam for a Full Transit or Partial Transit.

We have safety concerns about the 3 Mexico port stops and wonder if the extra $700 per person is worth it for the full transit?

The 18 day Full Transit cruise itinerary is: Ft. L., Half Moon Cay, Grand Turk, Curacao, Aruba, Cartagena, Puerto Caldera CR, Corinto NIC, and then Puerto Chiapas, Huatulco, and Puerto Vallarta in Mexico and then San Diego.

The 11 day Partial Transit itinerary is: Ft. L., Half Moon Cay, Curacao, Bonaire, Aruba, the Panama Canal, and Puerto Limon CR.

Do you feel that Mexico is becoming safer or is the future of the safety of the above ports very uncertain?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

So that would be $700 for 7 more days, correct? Not a hard choice. The full transit is definitely the way to go if you can afford it and have the time to go.

The cruise lines will not put you in harms way. If it isn't safe at a given port, they won't stop.

I would not be overly concerned about Mexico, you can always stick close to the port. Take for example Huatulco, there's a nice beach area right at the foot of the pier where your ship docks (I have not been to the two other Mexican ports). There is also a large military base at that location as well, so you are protected! The partial transit is a great cruise and I recommend it, but if your primary interest in seeing the Canal, the full transit is the way to go. Besides another week of cruising for not too many $$$s, what's not to like:). Go enjoy!

Generally the "full" transits barrel right through the Canal without stopping in Panama to give you the opportunity to see Panama. Why come all this way and pay all this money without actually getting off the ship and seeing something of Panama? There are some full transit itineraries that include a FULL day (not just a few hours in Colon or Panama City a/k/a Amador of "Fuerte Amador") - I know Princess has several, and Crystal has one, and there may be others as well. ZUIDERDAM gives you the opportunity to go through Gatun Locks (and the experience in Miraflores is quite similar) and get off the ship and experience some of Panama. You really don't have to go back through Gatun Locks unless you enjoy remaining in your seat to see the same movie over again in theaters, or rereading the same book immediately after finishing. If you want to see the entire Canal, including Gaillard Cut which you wouldn't see on ZUIDERDAM, you can take the small boat Canal Ferry tour which not only takes you through the entire Canal, but also gives you the experience of going through a lock in a small boat, which is very different than on a large Panamax ship like ZUIDERDAM.

Regards, Richard

Richard,

I think I've seen your posts several places so maybe you can help me with a Panama excursion? I'm on the Island Princess March 8, 2012. It's a partial Panama Canal trip. The excursions Princess offers are:

1. Pan Viejo - Panama City

The original devastated city is still in ruins, and has become known as Panama Viejo, or "Old Panama." Take in the sights, sounds, and shopping at this historic location.

2. Casco Viejo - Panama City

Casco Viejo displays a mix of architectural styles, which reflect the cultural diversity of the country. Caribbean, Art Deco, French and Colonial architecture mix in this historic area.

4. Gatun Locks

Witness the workings of the Panama Canal at Gatun Locks Observation Area. Take in the engineering feat required to move ships over a continental divide that separates two oceans.

4. Miraflores Locks

The Miraflores Locks Observation Center provides a close view of the functioning of the locks. The Miraflores Locks are part of the engineering marvel that makes the Panama Canal.

5. Panama Canal Railway

The route across the isthmus follow the east bank of the canal and affords an intimate view of the waterway.

6. Aerial Tram & Soberania National Park

The Gamboa Resort lies in the heart of Panama's 55,000-acre Soberania National Park. Board your air-conditioned aerial tram for the 20-minute ascent through the rainforest canopy.

7. Cruise Gatun Lake

Located amid 50,000 acres of pristine rainforest, Gatun Lake is a natural gem hosts an incredible variety of mammals, birds, reptiles and amphibians.

8. Embera Indians

The Embera Indians still live in harmony with their natural surroundings in the rainforest. Meet the Embera, witness their performances, and enjoy the opportunity to purchase native handcrafts.

We are two 40/50 year olds, our 11 year old son and my hubby's 80 year old mom. None of us have been to Panama before and are not likely to go again.

Thanks,

Suzanne

Hi Suzanne!

In my book I break down the excursions into categories - and it really depends on where your interest lies. The "good stuff" isn't right next to the ship, so most of the Panama excurisons, the good ones at least, are all day trips. So you've got to pick.

History: Panama Viejo & Casco Viejo - Some walking through the old city. Not sure how well your 80 year-old mother-in-law does. I've seen lots of 80-year olds that I can't keep up with! Maybe not the most interesting for your 11-year old.

Canal: Gatun Locks & Miraflores Locks: You will be going through Gatun Locks before you disembark for your tour. The absolute BEST view of the locks and the Canal operation is from your ship when it is in the locks, far better than the observation decks at either Gatun Locks or Miraflores. And the little museum at the Visitor Center isn't that great. If I were you I'd pass.

Nature: Aerial Tram & Gatun Lake: If grandma can handle getting into a small boat (stepping down and up, with help) I'd opt for the Gatun Lake trip in a small boat. The lake has about 1,100 miles of shoreline. When you get in amongst the small islands you'll see monkeys and lots of other wildlife. Everyone would love it!

Railway: If you are a railway enthusiast, yes. Easy to get on and off train. Not much walking. But . . . the rolling stock is all stuff from the 60's imported from the US, nothing really original. The folks who write the tour copy get carried away. Holland America used to say that from the train you could "look for toucans and monkeys" - well, look all you want, but you ain't going to see any. "Intimate view of the waterway" . . . hmmm . . ."intimate" no less. [Confirms my suspicion that since pot is almost legal in California some of these folks are smoking funny cigarettes at work.] You will catch GLIMPSES of the Canal, but the present-day railroad is primarily to move containers across the Isthmus and does not necessarily follow the path of the Canal. Again, if you love railroads or have mobility difficulties a good choice . . . but . . .

Cultural: Embera Village Tour - there are several villages. Princess usually uses Embera Puru which is the farthest village out that receives some tourists and the most authentic. [i have posted an interesting interview filmed at the village on my blog http://richarddetrich.com/2012/02/05/what-no-nachos-and-beer/] This is something unique to Panama and the folks who visit Embera Puru have always found it to be an outstanding experience. The Embera are warm and wonderful people and I know you would all enjoy it. Let your son go interact and run with and play with the local kids. Just the ride up to the village in the dug out canoes through the jungle is an experience. However, depends on grandma's knees. You are sitting in the dug out canoe on a seat that is about 1 foot above the bottom. They will help you in and out since most of us have knee problems. There is a little walking up an uphill slope and down a slight slope to the boats.

A lot depends on Grandma's mobility skills. I know you'll have a great time. BTW in addition to being on Amazon, etc., my book is in the gift shop on ISLAND as well.

Regards, Richard

Richard,

I think I've seen your posts several places so maybe you can help me with a Panama excursion? I'm on the Island Princess March 8, 2012. It's a partial Panama Canal trip. The excursions Princess offers are:

1. Pan Viejo - Panama City

The original devastated city is still in ruins, and has become known as Panama Viejo, or "Old Panama." Take in the sights, sounds, and shopping at this historic location.

2. Casco Viejo - Panama City

Casco Viejo displays a mix of architectural styles, which reflect the cultural diversity of the country. Caribbean, Art Deco, French and Colonial architecture mix in this historic area.

4. Gatun Locks

Witness the workings of the Panama Canal at Gatun Locks Observation Area. Take in the engineering feat required to move ships over a continental divide that separates two oceans.

4. Miraflores Locks

The Miraflores Locks Observation Center provides a close view of the functioning of the locks. The Miraflores Locks are part of the engineering marvel that makes the Panama Canal.

5. Panama Canal Railway

The route across the isthmus follow the east bank of the canal and affords an intimate view of the waterway.

6. Aerial Tram & Soberania National Park

The Gamboa Resort lies in the heart of Panama's 55,000-acre Soberania National Park. Board your air-conditioned aerial tram for the 20-minute ascent through the rainforest canopy.

7. Cruise Gatun Lake

Located amid 50,000 acres of pristine rainforest, Gatun Lake is a natural gem hosts an incredible variety of mammals, birds, reptiles and amphibians.

8. Embera Indians

The Embera Indians still live in harmony with their natural surroundings in the rainforest. Meet the Embera, witness their performances, and enjoy the opportunity to purchase native handcrafts.

We are two 40/50 year olds, our 11 year old son and my hubby's 80 year old mom. None of us have been to Panama before and are not likely to go again.

Thanks,

Suzanne

I agree, My vote is for the full transit. I would do it again in a heartbeat. We did the small ferry through the canal the day before the ship's transit so really got the full experience. The transit is the main experience, we went to some different ports and in a couple we did not get off the ship or just went very close by.

I'm in the planning stages for the Canal for January 2013. I'm going to go order your book right now.

We've settled on a full transit - most likely on Princess - we like the idea of the extra day in Panama.

I made a mistake! I listed the sights of interest according to Princess. I didn't list their excursions. I list them below. Do any of these really catch your eye?!

Scenic Drive & Walking Tour of 'Old Panama City'

PC1-100 | Panama Canal, Panama

from $99.00

approx. 5.5 hours

Travel from the Atlantic to the Pacific on a scenic drive that includes a guided tour of Old Panama City.Tour the ruins of the old capital city. Take in the diverse architecture of Casco Antiguo, the old colonial city. Stroll historic Las Bovedas. Enjoy a snack and return to the ship.

Gatun Lake and Locks Cruise & Embera Indians

PC1-110 | Panama Canal, Panama

from $129.00

approx. 5 hours

Depart Colon aboard your air-conditioned transportation and get ready to explore Panama on this active adventure. Take a cruise on Gatun Lake, visit an Embera Indian village, and see the mighty Gatun Locks in operation. This exciting tour lets you experience Panama through via motor coach, motorboat, and guided walking tours.

View Excursion Details » *|*

Old Panama City, Miraflores Locks & Scenic Drive

PC1-115 | Panama Canal, Panama

from $99.00

approx. 6 hours

Get ready for an exciting daylong journey through the old world streets of Panama City. Explore the Pacific side of the Isthmus with a drive into the cobble stone streets the historic French Quarter of Panama City and enjoy a visit to the Observation Center at Miraflores Locks.

Fort San Lorenzo & Gatun Locks - New!

PC1-120 | Panama Canal, Panama

from $79.00

approx. 4.5 hours

Visit one of the most complete and biggest forts built in Panama. Fort San Lorenzo is full of pirate history, with amazing views of both the Chagres River and the Caribbean Sea. Continue on to the Gatun Locks and see close up views of the largest set of canal locks in Panama.

Panama Canal Railway (Dome Car)

PC1-170 | Panama Canal, Panama

from $169.00

approx. 5.5 hours

Travel the hemisphere's first transcontinental railroad, and see the Panama Canal in style in a deluxe railway dome car. Originally built in 1855, this first transcontinental railroad was restored in 2001 and features remodeled air-conditioned cars. During your railroad journey, you guide will provide commentary on the railroad, Panamanian history, and the canal.

Panama Canal Railway (Executive Car)

PC1-175 | Panama Canal, Panama

from $149.00

approx. 5.5 hours

This is the same tour as PC1-170 save that passengers travel in a restored executive rail car with booth seating on one side and rows of two seats with small tables on the other. Your car has a restroom and shares a small open-air observation deck with the dome car described in PC1-170. The Executive Car does not have the glass dome viewing area.

Activities & Adventures*

Rainforest & Gatun Lake and Locks Cruise

PC1-612 | Panama Canal, Panama

from $79.00

approx. 3.5 hours

Travel to the Melia Panama Canal Resort and cruise through the jungle-covered islands in Gatun Lake. Exotic birds, monkeys, sloths, iguanas, and crocodiles are just a few of the animals that you may see in their native surroundings. Later, witness the mighty Gatun Locks in action.

Panama Canal & Locks Transit by Boat

PC1-615 | Panama Canal, Panama

from $159.00

approx. 6 hours

Experience the full wonder of the Panama Canal with a crossing of the canal by tour boat on this daylong adventure. This is the only tour that enables you to experience the other two sets of locks that control ship traffic and cruise through "The Cut." Sail across Miraflores Lake to the Miraflores Locks and enjoy a light lunch during your scenic cruise.

View Excursion Details » *|*

Nature & Wildlife*

Panama's Rainforest Aerial Tram

PC1-350 | Panama Canal, Panama

from $99.00

approx. 4.5 hours

Get ready for an active journey through the Rainforests of Panama. Travel to the Gamboa Rainforest Resort, and explore the orchid garden, butterfly display, and serpentarium. Board an aerial tram for the ascent through the forest canopy. At the top of the summit, take an optional walk to the observation platform for views of the jungle and the canal.

Authentic Embera Indian Village

PC1-398 | Panama Canal, Panama

from $99.00

approx. 6.5 hours

Travel by dugout canoe on a cultural visit to an Embera village in the heart of Chagres National Park. The Embera are a unique and beautiful people, and they live in harmony with their natural surroundings in the rainforest. Enjoy traditional native music, song and dance.

Monkey & Wildlife Nature Cruise on Gatun Lake

PC1-610 | Panama Canal, Panama

from $99.00

approx. 5 hours

Board your air-conditioned transportation for the approximately 60-minute drive to the Gamboa Rainforest Resort. From the resort, cruise in a motorized, covered tour boat through a portion of the Panama Canal to a group of islands where monkeys and other native animals can be viewed in their natural habitat.

Thank you

Thank you for the responses.

Any specific information on the safety of the following ports?

Puerto Chiapas, Huatulco, and Puerto Vallarta in Mexico

I have no experience in Puerto Chiapas, but have no concerns regarding Huatulco or Puerto Vallarta. Just use the same ordinary common sense you would use in Europe or anywhere else in the world.

I am really a Canal cheerleader, so my first choice would be Panama Canal & Locks Transit by Boat, PC1-615. This tour will give you the opportunity to experience the bulk of the Canal. The only portion of the Canal you will miss is the crossing of Gatun Lake, but you will have seen some of the best parts.

Possibly the morning passage through Gatun Locks will fill your Canal quotient and you would like to see a tour that maybe not unique to Panama, but it is certainly not available on other stops that I am aware of is Gatun Lake and Locks Cruise & Embera Indians, PC1-110. The land stop at Gatun Locks would interesting as well. I really don't know what the difference would be (other than the Locks) in this tour, Authentic Embera Indian Village.

Old Panama City, Miraflores Locks & Scenic Drive, PC1-110 This would be possibly a third choice.

The other tours I would save for a return visit.

I'm in the planning stages for the Canal for January 2013. I'm going to go order your book right now.

We've settled on a full transit - most likely on Princess - we like the idea of the extra day in Panama.

I just received Richard's book this week from Amazon. I don't think you'll regret ordering it, and I don't think you'll regret a full transit either. I'm booked on Celebrity leaving in 3 months & it also makes the extra full day stop in Panama (in Colon).

As a sidenote .... your Cruise Critic name intrigues me. Do the first 4 letters stand for a major church body? If so, I'm a member, and we both live near the metropolitan city that is its headquarters. :)

Hi Suzanne!

In my book I break down the excursions into categories - and it really depends on where your interest lies. The "good stuff" isn't right next to the ship, so most of the Panama excurisons, the good ones at least, are all day trips. So you've got to pick.

History: Panama Viejo & Casco Viejo - Some walking through the old city. Not sure how well your 80 year-old mother-in-law does. I've seen lots of 80-year olds that I can't keep up with! Maybe not the most interesting for your 11-year old.

Canal: Gatun Locks & Miraflores Locks: You will be going through Gatun Locks before you disembark for your tour. The absolute BEST view of the locks and the Canal operation is from your ship when it is in the locks, far better than the observation decks at either Gatun Locks or Miraflores. And the little museum at the Visitor Center isn't that great. If I were you I'd pass.

Nature: Aerial Tram & Gatun Lake: If grandma can handle getting into a small boat (stepping down and up, with help) I'd opt for the Gatun Lake trip in a small boat. The lake has about 1,100 miles of shoreline. When you get in amongst the small islands you'll see monkeys and lots of other wildlife. Everyone would love it!

Railway: If you are a railway enthusiast, yes. Easy to get on and off train. Not much walking. But . . . the rolling stock is all stuff from the 60's imported from the US, nothing really original. The folks who write the tour copy get carried away. Holland America used to say that from the train you could "look for toucans and monkeys" - well, look all you want, but you ain't going to see any. "Intimate view of the waterway" . . . hmmm . . ."intimate" no less. [Confirms my suspicion that since pot is almost legal in California some of these folks are smoking funny cigarettes at work.] You will catch GLIMPSES of the Canal, but the present-day railroad is primarily to move containers across the Isthmus and does not necessarily follow the path of the Canal. Again, if you love railroads or have mobility difficulties a good choice . . . but . . .

Cultural: Embera Village Tour - there are several villages. Princess usually uses Embera Puru which is the farthest village out that receives some tourists and the most authentic. [i have posted an interesting interview filmed at the village on my blog http://richarddetrich.com/2012/02/05/what-no-nachos-and-beer/] This is something unique to Panama and the folks who visit Embera Puru have always found it to be an outstanding experience. The Embera are warm and wonderful people and I know you would all enjoy it. Let your son go interact and run with and play with the local kids. Just the ride up to the village in the dug out canoes through the jungle is an experience. However, depends on grandma's knees. You are sitting in the dug out canoe on a seat that is about 1 foot above the bottom. They will help you in and out since most of us have knee problems. There is a little walking up an uphill slope and down a slight slope to the boats.

A lot depends on Grandma's mobility skills. I know you'll have a great time. BTW in addition to being on Amazon, etc., my book is in the gift shop on ISLAND as well.

Regards, Richard

Hi Richard,

We are taking a Princess “partial Panama Canal transit” cruise next December. I was looking at the tours Princess is offering for the Embera. One tour # PC1-110 which uses a small motor boat to the village, the other #PC-398 which uses a dugout canoe. We would like to know which tour you would recommend for us, we are 70 year olds. Also does the tour depart after it transverses the locks or before? Thanking you.............

Hi Richard,

We are taking a Princess “partial Panama Canal transit” cruise next December. I was looking at the tours Princess is offering for the Embera. One tour # PC1-110 which uses a small motor boat to the village, the other #PC-398 which uses a dugout canoe. We would like to know which tour you would recommend for us, we are 70 year olds. Also does the tour depart after it transverses the locks or before? Thanking you............. quote.gif

On the partial transits the ship enters the Canal at Colon, goes through Gatun Locks and enters Gatun Lake. Guests taking ship tours are tendered ashore to meet the tour buses. This is an area within the Canal and is nothing but a place to pick up the buses. There are no cabs or private vehicles allowed. The ship then turns around, goes back through Gatun Locks to Colon where it meets the folks who've been on tour.

110 is a more general tour, and you get to see more of a touristy/demonstration village. 398 is the tour that takes you to the authentic village, which is an all day experience using a dugout canoe powered by an outboard motor. There is a little walking from the bus to the canoes and from the canoes to the village, usually up a little slope. I'm almost 70 (!) . . . what's age got to do with it? . . . you do have to sit on low seats in the dug out canoes for about 45 minutes, but the Embera guides are used to helping folks with weak knees in and out of the boats.

Take 398 . . . have a great time . . . and then tell us all about it! I've got a page just about the tour at http://richarddetrich.com/cruising/embera/ It is a unique cultural experience and unique to Panama. Regards, Richard

I just received Richard's book this week from Amazon. I don't think you'll regret ordering it' date=' and I don't think you'll regret a full transit either. I'm booked on Celebrity leaving in 3 months & it also makes the extra full day stop in Panama (in Colon).

As a sidenote .... your Cruise Critic name intrigues me. Do the first 4 letters stand for a major church body? If so, I'm a member, and we both live near the metropolitan city that is its headquarters. :)[/quote']

The book arrived late last week and I scanned through it for a few minutes. I can't wait to read it all the way through.

We are huge Celebrity fans but my sister and BIL did a full transit with Celebrity and were less than thrilled with the ship, food and service so I think we're going to do it with Princess.

Do you know what the difference is between Colon and Fuente Amador?

Yes, - it does refer to a church body that is headquartered in the metropolitan city where I live. :)

Colon is on the Atlantic entrance to the Canal and depending on your itinerary the ship may dock there either prior to of after your transit. Colon itself to put it nicely is a gritty town and there is not much for you to do there other than visit the shopping mall adjacent to the pier. On the other hand, Ft. Amador is situated on the Pacific side, is a tendered stop at the old fortified islands off Panama City. If your itinerary calls for a stop here, it may be before or after your Canal transit. Both places are more of a jumping off point for any tours that you may select.

The book arrived late last week and I scanned through it for a few minutes. I can't wait to read it all the way through.

We are huge Celebrity fans but my sister and BIL did a full transit with Celebrity and were less than thrilled with the ship, food and service so I think we're going to do it with Princess.

Yes, - it does refer to a church body that is headquartered in the metropolitan city where I live. :)

I also still need to read the book all the way through - and look forward to it. I am also hoping that Channel 9 will be showing the American Experience: Panama Canal documentary in early April as is indicaed on the PBS website.

I've been on one Celebrity cruise (Summit in August 2010 to New England/Canada) and really loved it! Our Canal cruise on the Millennium will be it's first sailing out of drydock after the "Solsticizing" of the ship. I hope things run smoothly! :) I'm sorry your relatives weren't thrilled with theirs.

I live about 5-7 miles from the LCMS headquarters & many years ago was an LCMS elementary teacher. :)

I also still need to read the book all the way through - and look forward to it. I am also hoping that Channel 9 will be showing the American Experience: Panama Canal documentary in early April as is indicaed on the PBS website.

I've been on one Celebrity cruise (Summit in August 2010 to New England/Canada) and really loved it! Our Canal cruise on the Millennium will be it's first sailing out of drydock after the "Solsticizing" of the ship. I hope things run smoothly! :) I'm sorry your relatives weren't thrilled with theirs.

I live about 5-7 miles from the LCMS headquarters & many years ago was an LCMS elementary teacher. :)

I should probably clarify here - their Canal experience with Celebrity was on the Infinity. They have cruised on the Millie and raved about it. Since the Millie only does the canal once or twice a year, we're really not seeing it as an option since we want to do this in January or February.

Have fun - I've heard that the Millie is fantastic!

Colon is on the Atlantic entrance to the Canal and depending on your itinerary the ship may dock there either prior to of after your transit. Colon itself to put it nicely is a gritty town and there is not much for you to do there other than visit the shopping mall adjacent to the pier. On the other hand, Ft. Amador is situated on the Pacific side, is a tendered stop at the old fortified islands off Panama City. If your itinerary calls for a stop here, it may be before or after your Canal transit. Both places are more of a jumping off point for any tours that you may select.

Thanks for the clarification - so many options and it confuses me at times!

• 10 months later...
I have no experience in Puerto Chiapas, but have no concerns regarding Huatulco or Puerto Vallarta. Just use the same ordinary common sense you would use in Europe or anywhere else in the world.

I'm always amused (no offense) to all the concern about Mexico. We go every year on land trips and have a wonderful time, it's no difference than anywhere else like the above quote says and be a smart traveler. I always feel the risk is more getting to our Boston airport and was just watching a tv show on the murder rate in CHicago. Enjoy your cruise!!

CruiseApril, When you're with Cruiseship Tour groups etc. you are usually safe anywhere IMHO. We rent cars, motorcycles etc and venture out with no problems worldwide. We just loved a Full Transit of Canal and are returning next month. Our highlights were the Railroad Across Panama and back and the Poas Volcano in Costa Rica. The Panama Canal itself is a World-class must see of cruising for us. Life's short. Enjoy. Locomotiveman Tom

Archived