2012 Celebrity Wine List (Main Dining Rooms)

Sloop-JohnB

Sloop-JohnB,

Do you have a copy of the wine list in the CellarMaster bar???

Thanks

HI ALl FIRST TIME CRUISER,

No I do not.

It is my understanding that the offerings in Cellar Masters are continually changing, depending on the "interests" of the clientele and the direction that the Head Sommelier there wishes to explore.

(Actually a nice feature, when you think about it).

The Wines there do though come from Celebrity's Master List... so you won't find anything there that won't be found elsewhere on the ship... typically sold by the bottle in other venues.

It is a nice way to try more expensive wines without having to make a BIG Commitment... wines that also come in a variety of pour sizes in Cellar Masters (3, 6 and 9 ounces… if I recall correctly).

And a nice way to get a taste of something, and then if you like it purchase a whole bottle while in the Dining Room.

Cellar Masters also puts on a variety of events thru-out the cruise, to promote wines that they are featuring...

For example, from my recent cruise aboard the Solstice during the course of the week there were the following wine events held at Cellar Masters

*Walk Around the World Wine Tasting (Day 2)

*Stars in the Glass - Champagne & Wine Tasting (Day 2)

*Wine Appreciation 101 (Day 3)

*Two to Tango Spanish Wine Tasting (Day 3)

*Tour de France French Wine Tasting (Day 4)

*Viva Italia Italian Wine Tasting (Day 5)

*Wine & Cheese Connoisseur (Day 5)

*Riedel Crystal Wine Workshop (Day 6)

*Stars in the Glass - Champagne & Sparkling Wine Tasting (Day 6)

*Exploring the Down Under Australian Wine Tasting (Day 7)

Based on our inquiries, most of them seemed to be in the $ 20 per person range.

Hope this is helpful,

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

Thanks John for taking the time to post all of the wine available in MDR. We live up here in the Pacific NW (Portland) and are spoiled by some of the best wines anywhere. And seeing some of our Willamette Valley Vineyard choices (and their prices), makes our decision to bring 2 bottles with us seem like we will be drinking our wine for free! :D

Thanks for posting, both Sloop-John B and AtlFirstTimeCruiser (for the pdf).

I don't know if you folks want this thread to go in this direction, but...

We loved the Sbragia Family, ZINFANDEL, “Ginos”, Dry Creek Valley, California, USA - $ 56 (959) so much that we ordered it for four of our seven dinners. It was available in MDR, Normandie and Qsine on Summit.

I also checked back home and Celebrity seems to follow the usual restaurant 2x markup, since this wine goes for about $28 in local wine stores.

Wonderful addition to our collection of helpful information. Thanks!

Which Summit sailing are you booked on Sloop-John.

TO LIBRARY LADY19,

Summit - Southern Caribbean - January 12, 2013 out of San Juan

Itinerary covers... San Juan, PR - Day at Sea - Bridgetown, Barbados - Castries, St Lucia - St Johns, Antigua - Philipsburg, Sint Maarten - Charlotte Amalie, St Thomas - San Juan, PR

We are really really looking forward to it.... I visited Barbados back in the late 1970s (LOVED it, my best vacation of all time)... and Hubby has always had a desire to see St Lucia & Antigua. Plus we fell in LOVE with St Thomas last cruise (snorkelling) and want to see more of St Maartens (plans were altered due to "rough" tendering and rainy weather)

We have an Aft C1 booked on the Summit (great value in that we booked while aboard the Solstice... saved ourselves $ 800 on the cabin, and got a bunch of other perks that come when doing a Booking while on a cruise... smaller refundable deposit - a $ 100 OBC etc)

All in all, should be a great vacation.

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

Thanks Sloop for this excellent list. For those considering a wine package (as I am/was), you can see from looking at this list and comparing it do the price of the wine packages - it presents no real deal. For example, I have just done the reds of the premium package. Those that I could find (there were a couple I couldn't) are all $45.00 per bottle. Add 15% gratuity to that and the price comes to $51.75 per bottle. The 7 bottle premium package (which is the "best value") is $309.35 plus 15% which is $355.75 or $50.82 per bottle. So, you save about a buck a bottle. Personally we probably won't bother since it also limits our choices.

Thanks Sloop for this excellent list. For those considering a wine package (as I am/was), you can see from looking at this list and comparing it do the price of the wine packages - it presents no real deal. For example, I have just done the reds of the premium package. Those that I could find (there were a couple I couldn't) are all $45.00 per bottle. Add 15% gratuity to that and the price comes to $51.75 per bottle. The 7 bottle premium package (which is the "best value") is $309.35 plus 15% which is $355.75 or $50.82 per bottle. So, you save about a buck a bottle. Personally we probably won't bother since it also limits our choices.

So since the OP post does not have prices for the packages, can anyone confirm exactly what the 2012 package prices? I would like to do the math as well to see if we would like to purchase the package. I understand there are several packages bases on number of bottles purchased as well as which level.

Thanks

Taste of the Vineyards

Premium package

3 bottle $148.35

5 bottle $228.85

7 bottle $309.35

Classic package

3 bottle $113.85

5 bottle $182.85

7 bottle $251.85

Build Your Own package

Starts at $191.25; Arranged aboard with Sommelier.

As a self described "wine geek" all I can say is WOW to this wine list.

They have really done their homework on upgrading the selections.

A big salute to X.

A big THANKS to S-J.B. for cranking out the list.

99 days until we attack the Eclipse wine cellar.

2MC

Thanks to Sloop-John B I was able to find out the prices of the different wines in the "taste of the vineyards - classic package" and was not happy with what Celebrity is offering:

The best price is for 7 bottles: $ 251.86 + tips which means an average of $ 35.98 + tips each bottle (on all prices 15 % gratuities will be added at checkout)

here are the prices for the wines in this package:

TASTE OF THE VINEYARDS

CLASSIC PACKAGE

Sparkling Wine

$ ?? Bouvet Signature, France (price not found, but should be less than $ 30.-)

White Wines

$ 35.- Chardonnay, Penfolds, Koonunga Hill, Australia

$ 35.- Vouvray, Michel Picard,Loire, France

$ 24.- White Zinfandel, Beringer, California

$ 45.- Sauvignon Blanc, Villa Maria, Private Bin, New Zealand

$ 26.- Sauvignon Blanc, Murphy Goode, California

$ 35.- Chardonnay, Santa Ema, "Select Terroir", Chile

$ 29.- Riesling, S.A. Prum, "Essence", Germany

$ 30.- Pinot Grigio, Fantinel, Borgo Tesis, Italy

Rose Wines

$ 31.- Gaga Rose, by Kendall-Jackson, California

Red Wines

$ 35.- Malbec, Luigi Bosca, "La Linda", Argentina

$ 35.- Cabernet Sauvignon, Beringer, Founder's Estates, California

$ 35.- Pinot Noir, Matua, New Zealand

$ 35.- Garnacha, Altovinum, "Evodia", Spain

$ 35.- Zinfandel, Renwood, Sierra Foothills, California

$ 35.- Tempranillo, Condesa de Laganza, Spain

$ 35.- Syrah , Chateau Ste. Michelle, Washington

$ 35.- Cabernet Sauvignon, Columbia Crest "H3" Horse Heaven, Washington

$ 35.- Merlot, Sebastiani, California

so appart from the Sauvignon blanc Villa Maria all wines are 35.- or lesser

Can someone tell me what the profit is on this package where the price per bottle is $ 35.98 ?

Is Celebrity aware of this ?

My goodness, Sloop.

You did a ton of work. Thanks for the effort. I did notice one interesting thing on our recent Millennium cruises. We were in Select dining and had a Sommelier one night that was just convinced I needed to spent over $100 to get a good bottle of red. Everything I picked was just not appropriate in his opinion. Now I have been buying, selling and drinking fine wines for 40 years so this really got under my skin after a few minutes.

So I "fired" him and asked for the head Sommelier to come over for a discussion. When he arrived, he already knew about my concerns and he instantly recommended the Atalon Cab Sav from Napa 2004 vintage for $58. I agreed and it was wonderful. I see on your list that it is $84. That makes me wonder if the ships have a stash of such wines with a few years on them for public relations purposes. We also bought the same wine a few days later and our Sommelier at that table (not the one I had problems with) asked how we heard about the 2004 being available.

Can someone tell me what the profit is on this package where the price per bottle is $ 35.98 ?

Is Celebrity aware of this ?

I buy wines all the time from distributors and the typical markup at retail is 40-45% depending on the vintage and availability/demand. Then Celebrity sells it in their restaurants and their prices are about twice retail, give or take a bit. So there is quite a bit of profit there. But not near as much profit as there is on distilled spirits. They would much rather sell you a cocktail.

Tons of work...Thank You.

Wife and I love our wines and booked the premium package but I still cannot imagine spending 238 for a bottle of Caymus Special that I have sitting in my cave for less than 95. It makes their price on Far Niente much more palatable. Glad we booked 2 cabins, (one for us and one for kids) so I'm going to schlep on 4 bottles; now I just have to pick out what to bring.

Thanks Sloop-John B. I hope you don't mind since I copied your posts and created a PDF file for easier printing.

Thanks again

Thank you Sloop-John B. I also transferred the list and made a PDF. I'll be posting the list on my cruise website for upcoming Med and TA cruises (will give you credit for posting the list on cc).

What I did with the 2010 list was look for several wines I was interest at local stores and had a wine tasting with visiting family. It was a lot of fun.

So, on my next cruise there were several wines that I knew would suit my taste and selected a few to go with dinner.

Can't wait to find more new wines added to the 2012 list.

Linda

Edited by las928

Tons of work...Thank You.

Wife and I love our wines and booked the premium package but I still cannot imagine spending 238 for a bottle of Caymus Special that I have sitting in my cave for less than 95. It makes their price on Far Niente much more palatable. Glad we booked 2 cabins, (one for us and one for kids) so I'm going to schlep on 4 bottles; now I just have to pick out what to bring.

Greetings

The Far Niente can be had for around $90, so the markup is not all that bad. The $238 for Caymus seem out of whack. We have several bottles as well and we bought them for less than $100 each.

Good Sailing

Tom

What is the "pour" on Celebrity? In figuring whether a bottle is a better value, it helps to know whether the glass will deliver a chintzy 5 ounces, a moderate 6 ounces, or a generous more-than-that.

Thanks for your observations and for all the work you've done.

IMPORTANT CONSIDERATIONS ON THE MDR WINE LISTS...

Hi Everyone,

So there you have it, the 2012 Celebrity Wine List for the Main Dining Rooms.

Now as I understand it, this is the FULL LIST for the MDRs FLEET WIDE … but is not necessarily so that ALL wines will be available in ALL Venues… or in some cases there will be only a limited amount of bottles of some selections.

Specific Wine Lists for each of Celebrity’s Ships in the fleet will have the current availability… if one is seeking a specific wine, then you should consult one of the MDR’s Sommeliers.

--- --- ---

I would like to once again thank the wonderful crew on the Celebrity Solstice who got this info to me…

Igor – the Maitre D’ of the Grand Epernay Dining Room

Amir – the Head Sommelier

And how they understood the importance of getting this info out to Celebrity's Cruise Critic Fans.

--- --- ---

I continue to transcribe the Wine Lists for BLU (featuring Organic, Biodynamic and Sustainable Offerings) and the Specialty Restaurants (some overlap for sure to the main MDR List), and will hopefully have more to post shortly.

Again, I thank everyone for their cooperation, and patience while I worked on the transciptions, and also as to the posting method (it indeed go off without interruption).

Much appreciated.

Cheers!

Thanks so much for all the work put into posting the wine list.

I combined the posts and converted to a PDF if anyone is interested in a single document.

2012 Celebrity Cruises Wine List.pdf

Linda

thanks to all that did this list, now i may just be a little Blonde but can someone explain the priceing to me Eg $111 (130) $37 (1425) i actuall thought at first that the First fiqure was per glass than the second per bottle,, but as you can see by the first example it would be much cheaper by the bottle,,,than I thought maybe the year,, but still cant work it out,,,

HI DON ROBERTO SAN JUAN (love saying / writing out your name BTW)

As I said this is only PHASE ONE...

Still have BLU and the Specialty Restaurants to come.

But, YES the by-the-glass info here in particular is great for anyone considering one of the Beverage Packages (Classic or Premium Alcoholic).

OR if one wants, there is also the Wine Bottle Packages (Taste of the Vineyards on the S-Class Ships)

We had the Premium Package, and were never disappointed by our options... we also had a very knowledgeable Sommelier (Koray from Turkey)... he never steered us wrong and quickly learned what it was our taste-buds preferred.

Found it interesting when we got home, and had time to pour over these lists that Celebrity had so much on offer (again a Cruise Line that seems to be all about choices... something for everyone). And we were surprised to also see that if one opts for the Classic Alcoholic Package, that there is plenty to choose from as well (Wines By the Glass that are $ 8 or less)

Our next cruise is port intensive... and we think we'll change things up a bit.

Our two Premium Alcohol Packages this past cruise (7 Days) came to $ 756 + 15% = $ 869.40

Probably buy a Wine Package instead next cruise, and have a nice bottle of wine every night with dinner. And then put the rest on ala carte... (Premium Coffees & Teas, Fresh Juice, Water, Ice-Caps, Cocktails, Sparkling, and Nightcaps)... figure we'll still do ok pricewise... using our past numbers as a guide... with only one sea-day, I don't see us sucking back a lot of Frozen Concoctions like we did this trip when we had 4 Sea Days.

Cheers!

Was that $869.40 each or for 2?

US dolars or other?

Many thanks.;)

• 2 months later...
Thanks so much for all the work put into posting the wine list.

I combined the posts and converted to a PDF if anyone is interested in a single document.

[ATTACH]222492[/ATTACH]

Linda

Thanks for the great lists. We are planning on purchasing the classic package as DH just drinks scotch & water and a glass of wine with dinner and I will have a few cocktails and some sparkling wine with dinner. We are eating in Blu. Does anyone know if the wine list in Blu will have drinks and wine $8 or less? Do we need to upgrade to the premium package?

All I can say is Awesome.... I think they did a great job on the offerings...I think this is especially important since they only allow 2 bottles to be brought on... not like when I sail Princess I bring a lot more...

and check in the specialty restaurants for special vintages of nickel and nickel or far niente... they have a special relationship with the winery and get special vintages that you can't get !

Oh and I'll take a couple of bottles of Screaming Eagle please:D

CC