Military Discount

Gracie115

We've just booked using the Military discount for the first time and were told that we must present an original of my DH's DD214 discharge papers at embarkation. The Capt. Club person then added "but a notarized copy of the original is fine too." Can anyone provide insight into whether or not they actually asked for this form at check in and did it have to be an original? If it helps we are on a Med cruise.

Thanks!!

We were on the Silhoutte Holy Land cruise last October and just had a copy - the check in person barely glanced at it and handed it back. We are on the Century in April - hope it goes as easily!

Richard

Was it a notarized copy?

Thanks

I am a Notary Public and am asked all the time to "authenticate" documents. What this means is that I am given the "original" document and either make a "photocopy" or supervise the making of the "photocoy" of the document. I then attach a separate piece of paper to the "photocopy" containing a notarial certificate as follows:

STATE OF ______________ )

) ss:

COUNTY OF _______________ )

On this _____ day of ____________, 2012, I attest that the attached document is a true, exact, complete and unaltered photocopy made by me of Form DD214 presented to me by the document’s custodian, _____________, and, to the best of my knowledge, that the photocopied document is neither a public record nor a publicly recordable document, certified copies of which are available from an official source other than a notary public.

Notary Public

I would think that Celebrity would accept this "authentication" for the military credit. Hope this helps.....

I am a Notary Public and am asked all the time to "authenticate" documents. What this means is that I am given the "original" document and either make a "photocopy" or supervise the making of the "photocoy" of the document. I then attach a separate piece of paper to the "photocopy" containing a notarial certificate as follows:

STATE OF ______________ )

) ss:

COUNTY OF _______________ )

On this _____ day of ____________, 2012, I attest that the attached document is a true, exact, complete and unaltered photocopy made by me of Form DD214 presented to me by the document’s custodian, _____________, and, to the best of my knowledge, that the photocopied document is neither a public record nor a publicly recordable document, certified copies of which are available from an official source other than a notary public.

Notary Public

I would think that Celebrity would accept this "authentication" for the military credit. Hope this helps.....

Thanks very much, it WILL help.

We have never been asked for documentation. In fact, once when we checked in hubby slid the DD 214 across the counter with his credit card and the agent just looked at and said, "what is this?" He didn't even look at it and slid it back to hubby.

We've just booked using the Military discount for the first time and were told that we must present an original of my DH's DD214 discharge papers at embarkation. The Capt. Club person then added "but a notarized copy of the original is fine too." Can anyone provide insight into whether or not they actually asked for this form at check in and did it have to be an original? If it helps we are on a Med cruise.

Thanks!!

The easiest way is just to request one from the National Archives's National Personnel Record Center (NPRC). They send it to you free. It is accepted as an "original" for official purposes as it has their official seal on it so there is no need to bother with getting it notarized.

Instructions at

Military Service Record (DD Form 214) Request

Last February, on the Equinox, we were on a military discount and only had our retired id cards...which they never asked for either. We book military discount ALL THE TIME, and have only once been asked at a hotel to produce the id. Which is never a problem, as it's also our medical insurance card.

We booked with a military discount for our October cruise. We were told that a copy of my husband's DD-214 would suffice. We brought that copy with us and asked if they needed to see it upon check in. We were told it wasn't necessary. Yet when we booked another military rate for our May cruise, my TA instructed us to make sure we have the form, which we would have with us anyway.

I think it depends on the person checking you in. Just make a copy and bring it along.

Mary

We landed our first military rate on our upcoming Century Cruise. DH's original DD214 was an old onionskin carbon copy -- too old and fragile to travel with. But, the booking rep said we would need an "original". So, we went to the DOD website and found the page to order a new DD214. Took about a month, but we got a copy with a raised seal on it, and a cover letter (which we plan to take, as well).

The easiest way is just to request one from the National Archives's National Personnel Record Center (NPRC). They send it to you free. It is accepted as an "original" for official purposes as it has their official seal on it so there is no need to bother with getting it notarized.

Instructions at

Military Service Record (DD Form 214) Request

Thanks for this, my DH's is also one of those old "onion skin" types, a more currect one will be better!!

Thanks all for your responses!

You are very welcome. There is a good likelihood that you won't even be asked to show it, but you never know. Since it is so easy to get, it is better just to bring it along.

That way there is no suspense or worry about it.

Hi,

Who is eligible for a Military Discount?

Do you have to be retired, or do you qualify if you were in for 4 years?

Thanks

We were told that you qualify if you have been in the military for a minimum of 2 years with an honorable discharge. We have used the military discount several times already and always bring my DH's DD214 with us, but so far have never been asked to show the copy at check-in.

Anne

Hi,

Thanks

According to X website, Active, Retired, or anyone who served 2 years or more with honorable discharge or 6 months in active war zone:

http://www.celebritycruises.com/contextualHelp.do?faqId=2816

It saved us a lot of money on our next cruise, very nice disount

Hi,

Thanks

They used to have a little blurb on their website when you select Military Discount, but I don't see it. From what I recall, you need to have been in the military for a minimum of 2 years or served in a combat zone for 6 months. You can call Celebrity to get the details if you think you qualify.

I got a substantial military discount on my last TA, but they never asked for my ID when I checked in.

They used to have a little blurb on their website when you select Military Discount, but I don't see it. From what I recall, you need to have been in the military for a minimum of 2 years or served in a combat zone for 6 months. You can call Celebrity to get the details if you think you qualify.

I got a substantial military discount on my last TA, but they never asked for my ID when I checked in.

The sight I just copied is from the X website. Here it is again:

http://www.celebritycruises.com/contextualHelp.do?faqId=2816

Librarylady19, here are the requirements for the military rate as posted in an obscure section of the =X= website:

Military Program Restrictions

If eligible, you would purchase this cruise vacation using a special restricted price program rate. It is important that at least one guest per stateroom be eligible to be considered in compliance with a restricted price program. It is also important to note that non-compliance of the restricted price program terms will result in the reservation being re-priced to the lowest available fare for that particular day. Furthermore, you will be responsible to pay for any differences immediately or else your boarding rights will be denied.

To qualify for a military rate, an individual must be classified as one of the following:

1. Active personnel currently serving in the Canadian National Defense; United States Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, Coast Guard, National Guard or Reserves. Proper identification in the form of a United States Uniformed Services WHITE Identification Card for U.S. military personnel, and a WHITE N.D.21 Identification Card with a Red Canadian Flag displayed for Canadian National Defense personnel, must be presented at time of check-in.

2. Retired from any of the divisions listed directly above. "Retired" is defined as A) enlisted personnel or officers with a minimum of 20 years of service, B) medically retired, or C) 100% disabled. Proper identification for those classified in category A, or B must be in the form of a United States Uniformed BLUE Identification Card. Proper identification for those classified in category C is a United States Uniformed TAN Identification Card. Retired Canadian National Defense personnel are eligible and must possess the same white card as described above for active personnel. All forms of identification must be presented at time of check-in.

3. Veterans with an Honorable Discharge serving a minimum of 2 years, or 6-months in an active war zone, in any of the United States service divisions listed above. Proper identification in the form of a DD 214, plus a current photo must be presented at time of check-in.

4. Spouses of actively deployed, or deceased military personnel, are eligible to book one stateroom as long as the eligible spouse is occupying the stateroom. All other guests traveling in the same stateroom are also eligible for the military rate. Spouse must present the PINK Dependent Military ID upon check-in as proof of eligibility.

All guests traveling in the same stateroom are eligible to receive the military rate. No additional staterooms, other than the one that is occupied by the military person is eligible for the military rate. Parents, in-laws, children or other family members or friends are not eligible for the military rate without the eligible military person occupying the stateroom.

How do you find out about these military discounts? I tried doing a search on the Celebrity website, but it didn't bring anything up. We able to get several discounts and onboard credits with Princess but I can't seem to find any with Celebrity. Thanks for any help.:)

How do you find out about these military discounts? I tried doing a search on the Celebrity website, but it didn't bring anything up. We able to get several discounts and onboard credits with Princess but I can't seem to find any with Celebrity. Thanks for any help.:)

When making your reservation on the X website there is a box you can check for "Military" it's in the same area that asks if anyone is over 55, and what state you are from. Once you have clicked that box whatever discount there is, if any, will show on the next screen when you pick your stateroom. Not all sailings have the discount and I have no idea how X decides which do and don't.

Archived