Costa Concordia Disaster documentary to air on National Geographic

Rick-cruiser

Just wanted to give a heads up to my fellow cruisers out there about the documentary on the Costa Concordia disaster being aired this Sunday night on the National Geographic channel... :

http://www.travelpulse.com/national-geographic-to-air-documentary-on-costa-concordia.html

It will premier at 7:00 pm on Sunday night, and then re-broadcast again on Monday at 10:00 pm.. It should be very interesting, with never-before-seen interviews from passengers and staff on board that evening.. If it's produced by National Geographic it is sure to be well-made and free of sensationalism.

I know I always appreciate whenever someone alerts me to a program (especially cruise-related) that I really would want to see.... so I just wanted to do the same... :)

- Rick

I don't know if this is the same show under a slightly different name, but when looking to set my DVR to record the show you indicated I found a show coming up a week later on the Discovery channel called: "Cruise Ship Disaster:Inside the Concordia.

http://dsc.discovery.com/show-news/first-look-cruise-ship-disaster-inside-the-concordia.html

It airs on February 17th at 9PM and again at 11PM Central time.

Just wanted to give a heads up to my fellow cruisers out there about the documentary on the Costa Concordia disaster being aired this Sunday night on the National Geographic channel. It will premier at 7:00 pm on Sunday night, and then re-broadcast again on Monday at 10:00 pm.

- Rick

THANKS, Rich, for the tip and update! As the picture below show, our paths had "crossed" on June 7, 2011, in Barcelona with this now ill-fated ship.

In looking today at some of my pictures from our Solstice cruise, I noticed this picture shown below of a large ship docked next to the Solstice in Barcelona as we were getting ready to do our sail-away. I saw the famous Costa yellow "C" stack and then looked closer to see that it was the Concordia. In this picture it looks much nicer then than now as it "lays" off the Italy coast.

Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 62,987 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

As we were getting ready for our Solstice sail-away from Barcelona on June 7, 2011, here’s a picture of our next-door neighbor in their scenic harbor. It’s the Costa Concordia that has become, sadly, one of the most infamous cruise ships in history. You can see the unique shape/design of the W Hotel in the distant background as it overlooks the Barcelona beach area.:

BarcelCostaConcordiaInPort.jpg

I don't know if this is the same show under a slightly different name, but when looking to set my DVR to record the show you indicated I found a show coming up a week later on the Discovery channel called: "Cruise Ship Disaster:Inside the Concordia.

http://dsc.discovery.com/show-news/first-look-cruise-ship-disaster-inside-the-concordia.html

They are two different shows on two different networks. There was a whole article in the Washington Post today about how the Discovery Channel was all set to air the first Concordia "documentary," but Nat Geo then hired the British producers who had already turned around a documentary on the disaster. They "Americanized" their already-aired documentary by substituting interviews of American survivors for interviews of Brits, and are rushing it out to air this Sunday, beating Discovery Channel to the punch.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/national-geographic-to-air-first-documentary-on-concordia-shipwreck/2012/02/07/gIQAntFQxQ_story.html

Hi,

Is this a '' ET/PT'' showing or which specific time zone is it shown at ?

We're in the ''PT'' zone....

Cheers

Hi,

Is this a '' ET/PT'' showing or which specific time zone is it shown at ?

We're in the ''PT'' zone....

Cheers

The times were for two showings and were for my local time here in the Chicago area, so they are Central time as I indicated in my post. Check your guide to see when it is showing in your time zone.

The Nat Geo show I can trust will be informative without all the drama and sensationalism we've seen on previous 20/20 and Geraldo presentations. However, the Discovery Channel showing leaves me doubting it will not be in the typical "reality TV" format they use to over hype various professions such as "Hogs Gone Wild", "Dirty Money", "Kidnap and Rescue", "Oddities" and "Pitchmen".

I remember when the Discovery Channel provided interesting, informational programming that we would walk away being enriched by. Doesn't happen very often anymore.

The times were for two showings and were for my local time here in the Chicago area, so they are Central time as I indicated in my post. Check your guide to see when it is showing in your time zone.

Thanks,Larry

They are two different shows on two different networks. There was a whole article in the Washington Post today about how the Discovery Channel was all set to air the first Concordia "documentary," but Nat Geo then hired the British producers who had already turned around a documentary on the disaster. They "Americanized" their already-aired documentary by substituting interviews of American survivors for interviews of Brits, and are rushing it out to air this Sunday, beating Discovery Channel to the punch.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/national-geographic-to-air-first-documentary-on-concordia-shipwreck/2012/02/07/gIQAntFQxQ_story.html

I saw the Channel 4 documentary that aired in the UK a week or so ago and it was pretty chilling stuff. There were a number of interviews with British dancers that were onboard.

Phil

Just wanted to give a heads up to my fellow cruisers out there about the documentary on the Costa Concordia disaster being aired this Sunday night on the National Geographic channel... :

http://www.travelpulse.com/national-geographic-to-air-documentary-on-costa-concordia.html

It will premier at 7:00 pm on Sunday night, and then re-broadcast again on Monday at 10:00 pm.. It should be very interesting, with never-before-seen interviews from passengers and staff on board that evening.. If it's produced by National Geographic it is sure to be well-made and free of sensationalism.

I know I always appreciate whenever someone alerts me to a program (especially cruise-related) that I really would want to see.... so I just wanted to do the same... :)

- Rick

Thanks for the information. I was wondering when they would put out a documentary on the accident.

Donna

The Nat Geo show I can trust will be informative without all the drama and sensationalism we've seen on previous 20/20 and Geraldo presentations. However, the Discovery Channel showing leaves me doubting it will not be in the typical "reality TV" format they use to over hype various professions such as "Hogs Gone Wild", "Dirty Money", "Kidnap and Rescue", "Oddities" and "Pitchmen".

I remember when the Discovery Channel provided interesting, informational programming that we would walk away being enriched by. Doesn't happen very often anymore.

To be fair, here are some shows on Nat Geo: "Party Like: The Queen of France," "Dog Whisperer," "Doomsday Preppers," "American Weed," "Locked Up Abroad."

I don't personally have a preference, but to say that one network is more in the business of "overhyping" than the other seems a bit... unfair. I'll be watching both.

To be fair, here are some shows on Nat Geo: "Party Like: The Queen of France," "Dog Whisperer," "Doomsday Preppers," "American Weed," "Locked Up Abroad."

I don't personally have a preference, but to say that one network is more in the business of "overhyping" than the other seems a bit... unfair. I'll be watching both.

Good point. I had forgotten about those since I don't watch them. I too will be watching both, just like I watched the 20/20 and Geraldo shows. The 20/20 show was a disgrace. Hopefully the next two will be better than what's already been on.

Funny how can they run a "documentary" when the official investigation / inquiry isn't even finished yet. :roll eyes: guess tragedy sells huh

Remember two key things about the TV business. First, February is one of the key "ratings sweeps" periods. They like to have shows with "sizzle" during this important period as it is vital to boost ratings and attract more "eyeballs" to their shows during this period when their ad rates get set. Second, in TV, they will tell you that "white women in distress" is a very important "hook" to attract and build audiences. That's why a murder trial in Italy (or Florida) will gain massive media coverage, much more than if it just happened with another demographic group, males, African-Americans, etc.

TV is about "show biz" and this Concordia subject is fresh in people's minds. It has been a sad tragedy, but, it is also a great media opportunity to boost ratings and gain more attention to each of smaller networks that don't get the bigger mass audiences like ESPN, CNN and FOX News do.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 63,133 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Archived