Chairs on Deck

if i want to get a chair on deck what would be a good time to plan on being at the pool?

Also, on Freedom where is a good spot to sit to help block the wind?

On a sea day, get there by 8am to get a decent seat. Get there a little earlier if you want to laugh at the chair hogs. Look for the person carrying twelve towels.

There is not a lot of protection from the wind if it's really whipping unless you're in the solarium. After the solarium, as low as you can be on the pool deck or behind the Sky bar. We had 45 mph wind gusts on our last trip but it really didn't seem to bother anyone at the pool.

I say - get there anytime and if you find a chair with a towel on it, ploopie the towel on the ground and take the chair (ok, wait the obligatory 30 minutes before doing so)!!

Not to start anything, but chair hogs ruin for everyone. Some people will get mad, but the rules stipulate that you are not to leave your chair unattended for more than 30 minutes. The crew won't help you (wouldn't want to OFFEND anyone!!), so take the chair and stand your ground, "I'm sorry - there wasn't a towel here when I arrived! I have NO idea where your book went - you might check lost and found"

It isn't right to 'reserve' a chair all day - unless you are IN said chair all day!!

We ususally go out at 8 or 8:30 and no one else is out. At 9 sun worshipers and older people start showing up. At 10 the free for all starts.

BTW, I don't 100% agree with the last poster. If think it's fine to hold your chair if you're in the pool or hot tub. If your not swimming then I think it's fair to move stuff after an hour. I prefer to have staff move the stuff but if they won't or I can't find someone hubby is happy to chuck towels, flip flops, books or whatever in a corner somewhere.

Oh, I TOTALLY think it's ok to hold your chair if you are in the hottub or swimming, but it's not ok, to put your towel down at 6am, go back to sleep, take a shower, get breakfast, do a few rounds of bingo, then expect to lay out on your 'reserved' chair.

Recently was on the Navigator, so similar layout. I didn't feel much wind on the Pool Deck (Deck 11), as it is pretty well closed off. As for the 'chair hogs' didn't see much of that either. It did look like the pool staff did watch it as there a good number of items at the lost & found spot behind the towel dispensary, probably some just left behind & some put there by pool staff.

Of course, I wasn't always looking for the ultimate primo location either. But I never had a problem getting a lounger somewhere close to the pool, and in the sun. Nor am I an early riser.

I expect this thread to get long. Pool chairs are always a 'hot topic'. :D

We ususally go out at 8 or 8:30 and no one else is out. At 9 sun worshipers and older people start showing up. At 10 the free for all starts.

BTW, I don't 100% agree with the last poster. If think it's fine to hold your chair if you're in the pool or hot tub. If your not swimming then I think it's fair to move stuff after an hour. I prefer to have staff move the stuff but if they won't or I can't find someone hubby is happy to chuck towels, flip flops, books or whatever in a corner somewhere.

I do not care where you are. If you leave your chair for over 30 minutes, your stuff should be thrown overboard.

If you go in the pool or hottub, do so for 25 minutes. Return to your chair for a minute, then go back to whatever.

I do not care where you are. If you leave your chair for over 30 minutes, your stuff should be thrown overboard.

If you go in the pool or hottub, do so for 25 minutes. Return to your chair for a minute, then go back to whatever.

Why throw the stuff overboard? That's littering, and the stuff didn't do anything wrong. Throw the owner of the stuff overboard. That's feeding the fish, and they did do something wrong. ;-)

Friends of ours were in the pool for 15 minutes and came back to find that someone removed their belongings and took their chairs. They were soaking wet - obviosuly had been in the pool but the "johnny come lately" would not move their butt off the chair. They managed to find other chairs but the location was not as good.

I agree that to hog chairs and be no where in sight is not being considerate but to come later in the day and just move someone else's belonging can be just as much of a chair hog.

What is VIP pool deck seating?

A few years back, RCCl started reserving theater and pool lounges for Suite occupants and D+ members. The area will be roped off and "guarded". They will check Sea passes and evict anyone that does not belong.

A few years back, RCCl started reserving theater and pool lounges for Suite occupants and D+ members. The area will be roped off and "guarded". They will check Sea passes and evict anyone that does not belong.

On Freedom Class ships the reserved area is above the Sky Bar.

On our last cruise, the 'theater' seating was a total waste of space - at any given time, there were maybe 30% of the seats being used. Mind you, the chair hogs were out in full force! Darnit, I wanted to have a gold card then :p

if i want to get a chair on deck what would be a good time to plan on being at the pool?

Also, on Freedom where is a good spot to sit to help block the wind?

aw, come on, are you kidding. Is this a trick question just to get everyone rieled up. You are going to get the anti pool chair hoggers in a tiszy now with a question like this.:eek:

Okay, I'll bite. when are you going and what makes you think there will be wind? The freedom does the carribbean I think. I've been on the Liberty and the Solarium is very block from "wind".

Oh, I TOTALLY think it's ok to hold your chair if you are in the hot tub or swimming, but it's not ok, to put your towel down at 6am, go back to sleep, take a shower, get breakfast, do a few rounds of bingo, then expect to lay out on your 'reserved' chair.

I'm with you there.

I love the direction this thread is taking BTW but I think an hour away from your chair is reasonable for swimming and hot tubbing. 30 minutes is too short. A dip in the pool then a jaunt in the hot tub should not be grounds for loosing my hard earned chair. Just saying.

Hubby just said that a good rule of thumb is that if you can see your pool chair then it's still your pool chair. Once it's out of sight look out...

I'm with you there.

I love the direction this thread is taking BTW but I think an hour away from your chair is reasonable for swimming and hot tubbing. 30 minutes is too short. A dip in the pool then a jaunt in the hot tub should not be grounds for loosing my hard earned chair. Just saying.

Hubby just said that a good rule of thumb is that if you can see your pool chair then it's still your pool chair. Once it's out of sight look out...

And if you can see your chair possibly you can see someone trying to move you stuff and can tell them to stop. Always a good idea to keep an eye on your belongings anyway.

Not to throw a complete curve ball but I would not mind if they offered a "chair package" where you could reserve a chair for the day. Kinda like they do at the beaches around here. Charge a fee and allow the person to come and go as they please to their designated chair. I'm not saying do it for ALL chairs and not all in the prime locations but at least it would be an option for those chair hogs (of course they may not want to pay but oh well..).

I too might go for a chair package. Last cruise we were on we picked out chairs with a good view of the area where the contests and demos are held so we could watch the goings on but it didn't work out because a family of 4 wedged themselves into the 1.5" space in between our chairs and the pool and completely blocked our view. Ugh.

I like being away from the noise and activity of the pool so I can get a chair still at around 11 but I have noticed a lot of towels on chairs when I'm out jogging as early as 6. Think I could gather them up and turn them in for a credit?

I'm with you there.

Sounds way to reasonable to fly here.

I'd suggest the equivalent of the St Tropez deck (cannot remember if it is called that when we were on Freedom, but it is on Liberty) for keeping out of the breeze and finding chairs at most times of the day. Obviously you don't get a pool view but it is quiet if that's what you want.

BTW it's accessed forward of the Sky bar and there are stairs up to what is in effect deck 13 above the Spa.

5738922169_53a720475a_z.jpg

Liberty of the Seas May 2011 101 by peteukmcr, on Flickr

Aside from usually using chairs not anywhere neat the pool that we don't use when we do land inthe pool area we have some laminated cards on little alligator clips that have "IN POOL" on one side and "VISITING RESTROOM" on the other. We use the in-pool one for bar trips too.

Generally though either my wife or I are always on one of the chairs. If we think it will be an issue getting a chair we go very early and take turns going to breakfast. Location is sort of important because the chairs are so close together we need an end or somewhere we can park her wheelchair adjacent to her lounge chair.

Archived