Skipping the Cattle Call at Embassy Suites

Merlinite

I have already decided, after reading a few posts, to go on my own to the ship. Check out is noon, so there's no good reason to be in the rush at 9 or 10. I figure I can extend my check out to 1 or thereabouts, and just taxi to the pier.

Sound like a plan?

I have already decided, after reading a few posts, to go on my own to the ship. Check out is noon, so there's no good reason to be in the rush at 9 or 10. I figure I can extend my check out to 1 or thereabouts, and just taxi to the pier.

Sound like a plan?

we've been booking our own hotels, but when we booked through Princess, after the first experience, we always declined the transer and went on our own to the ship.

The extended checkout may not be available depending on how many rooms may need a turnaround that day. But its a good plan.

Just ask the concierge, she put us in a nice SUV with a driver to the pier, $14 plus a tip, tons of room and nice guy... We beat the cattle call easily, leaving at 11 and were in grp 1.

Sound like a plan?

Sounds like a plan. We wound up staying at the Hyatt Place North nearby for a month a couple of years ago and saw the lines of those waiting to take the shuttle. They were very long and tempers short so I know what you mean by "cattle call." We reserved the shuttle to go to the hospital (five minutes away) at a particular time every day but people were incensed, giving us dirty looks, if we were told by the driver to board the shuttle. We wound up taking a taxi to the hospital several times because it was so uncomfortable.

Sound like a plan?

Sounds like a very firm and thoughtful plan. Even though our customary hotels provide a van, bus or whatever, we always take a taxi for why join the "cattle call", which for a better description is when people indulge in the behavioural survival of the fittist.

I seem to have missed something. What is your point? We always stay one or more nights before a cruise and we get a taxi when we want.

When people book a hotel at the port through Princess, the cost includes transportation from airport to the hotel and, on embarkation day, from the hotel to the ship.

Some people prefer to skip the Princess transportation to the ship and take a taxi. Possible reasons:

o Avoid the hassle of being in a larger group waiting for a bus, having the luggage loaded onto the bus, and then getting on the bus in a group

o Get to the port other than as part of a group of 40-50 people. May make it quicker to check-in.

o Get to the port earlier than most people and be among the first to check in.

o Get to the port later than most people and avoid the waiting and the crowds.

o Enjoy the amenities of the hotel longer and leave when you want to, not when the Princess bus is scheduled.

Well the 'go on your own' is a good idea, but I wouldn't wait that late if I were you. I like the get to port early....if you show up at 1:30 it'll be pretty busy still.

You have to be out of the hotel by 11:00 so I'd rather go to port at 11 than sit in the lobby of the hotel with all my luggage.

Just a small question. Your heading RE: Cattle Call/ES.

Are you using Princess Transfers or the Hotel Shuttle (for a fee)?

I have used both a taxi and the hotel shuttle. For the shuttle, we signed up in advance for 10:30am. It was easy. I believe both the taxi and the shuttle were about the same price.:)

You have to be out of the hotel by 11:00 so I'd rather go to port at 11 than sit in the lobby of the hotel with all my luggage.

Many hotels name noon as check out time. Double check that at the respective hotel.

We have never been denied a "late check out". That gives us a slow morning to walk to a restaurant for breakfast and have time to repack if needed, sort paperwork, make a couple phone calls etc. No rush. We chuckle as we watch the frantic cruisers in lines for cabs/shuttles, while at the same time watching post cruisers trying to get thru the crowded lobby areas to check in. "The changing of the guard", we call it. When we take our bags out of the room around 12:30-1, there is no long lines, crowds to manuever etc. Easy as pie.:)

the problem with the shuttle is you have to load up with others and their luggage, sometimes drive around the port to different cruise ships, and unload- if you have the patience great. I would rather take a cab, its direct and less of a hassle. I have also had no luck signing up for the earlier shuttles as I usually arrive around 6pm the night prior.

Many hotels name noon as check out time. Double check that at the respective hotel.

We have never been denied a "late check out". That gives us a slow morning to walk to a restaurant for breakfast and have time to repack if needed, sort paperwork, make a couple phone calls etc. No rush. We chuckle as we watch the frantic cruisers in lines for cabs/shuttles, while at the same time watching post cruisers trying to get thru the crowded lobby areas to check in. "The changing of the guard", we call it. When we take our bags out of the room around 12:30-1, there is no long lines, crowds to manuever etc. Easy as pie.:)

that's the answer i was looking for. thanks!!

Archived