Do these boards contribute to higher expectations?

ekerr19

There's lots of good information here. One can come and sift through the posts and take from them that which is useful and leave the rest for others.

As an aside, I have been a bit surprised that so many things which do not matter a whit to me are very important to others...... Tells me something about myself! I often wonder if those for whom every small detail is so important ever really enjoy themselves in a world which is so imperfect. I hope so.

I appreciate the boards and all those who contribute to them. Reading them is great fun.

Thanks for making me think about this--I enjoyed the last cruise I took, after finding Cruisecritic, more than the previous 3 (before Cruisecritic). I agree that the boards raise my awareness, not my expectations. I've really learned so much--like when and where you can actually get icecream on the Caribbean Princess! That may not seem important, but my husband owns ice cream stores, and he was pretty impressed with that knowledge. We found out about a great tour guide on Ports of Call--and had the most memorable private tour yet. For our upcoming Prinsendam cruise, I've been following Grumpy and Slinkie's World Cruise thread--there are so many helpful bits of information there. My mom is a fairly seasoned cruiser/traveler, but she's been amazed at the wealth of information available--including things like posts from the artist who actually painted (paints) pictures of the HAL ships found on the ships themselves. These details are enhancing what may be one of her last cruises. I could go on and on--

People who read these posts and reviews carefully will be well prepared. The knowledge gained isn't a guarantee for a great cruise--it'll just help them make their own great cruise.

Mary

It unfortunately, seems to me that we have fewer and fewer people coming here for help, and more and more people coming here to dump poop on everyone's head, so to speak. JMHO

It is not just this forum either.

I think most of the members of this forum really want to help people. If I have the knowledge I always want to share it. I can't help much with HAL because I still haven't taken my first HAL cruise, but I am an experienced cruiser and a lot of things are the same for all cruises. So I help when I can, but really the number of people coming here for help seems to me to be a small number, unless that is to help them slander the cruise line, and to exact their vengence thru bad word of mouth. I don't feel the need to help those folks. :D ;)

jc

My awareness of problems because of the boards has caused me to have lesser expectations I believe.

Between cruises I read all the stories, good, not so good, and really bad.:eek: I prepare myself to weather simular mishaps (which way will the toilet paper hang this trip:confused: ), and despite this, HAL still manages to pleasantly surprise me on most of the cruises we have taken.;) :cool:

It unfortunately, seems to me that we have fewer and fewer people coming here for help, and more and more people coming here to dump poop on everyone's head, so to speak....

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

OMG!:D :D gasp!

It certainly does seem that way lately! :D LOL!!

I think we all need a little nap!

I find these boards helpful. I think there is no substitute for real world experience and subsequent feedback. I try to find a common thread that balances the good and the bad and then make a judgement call.

"The food was bad, the food was good....blah, blah, blah"........something must have been good. Have you known anyone to come off a cruise and not gain at least five pounds?

I am a former travel agent and been around the block a time or two. So I have my own experience to draw on as well.

Are we all supplying too much information? - NO.

I enjoy reporting information about the cruise and the ship we have been on so that others hopefully will know what to expect ot to avoid.

AND - I love reading what everyone has experienced on ships that we will soon be embarking so that we will know what to expect, what to avoid, and maybe try to improve upon.

Well as you can see from my number of posts, I am not by any means an expert. However, I enjoy providing responses to new cruisers as I reflect on how exciting it was to be new - heck! I still find it exciting!

My DH has often wondered why I am so enthralled with these boards, he really doesn't get how I can work all day on a computer and then spend half the evening reading these boards. But he certainly appreciates the deals we get on private tours, information on how to access the bow of the boat, the realization that taking a limo to the port is almost as cheap as a taxi, etc. etc. The info you can get here is unbelievable - and all you have to do is ask (after you do a keyword search first that is!). :D

I really don't find that reading these boards rises expectations at all for me - it gets me pumped and excited! For someone with a vivid imagination, I can almost hear the ship horn now. And for someone who gets sea sick, I am an individual who can most often find the good in any situation. Afterall, I usually am only well for about 4 out of 7 days of a cruise! Perhaps I am just missing all of the terrible things that happen on the ship while I am sick! ;)

Anytime now I will begin to loose sleep like I do on Christmas Eve as it is less than a month away for me until we sail.

Thanks again to those who have answered all of my questions and I hope that I have contributed something back even if just a little bit.

Best wishes,

My personal experience has been that this board has served to lower my expectations between cruises. Some people post horror stories, painting the fleet as if it were made up of garbage scows, and my expectations become lowered to some degree because I know how things CAN go south with poor training and low attention to detail.

But, no matter how many times I'm told that HAL has "gone to the birds," every time I take a HAL cruise I discover that things are just as lovely, just as pleasant, just as enjoyable as ever. Perhaps it's in-part due to my lower expectations, however HAL has simply never failed to fulfill my expectations.

This being said, I enjoy this forum and most who visit here. I have learned a great deal from the postings here, have hoped I've made a meaningful contribution, and will always appreciate those whom I've met through posting here and cruising on HAL ships.

My personal experience has been that this board has served to lower my expectations between cruises. Some people post horror stories, painting the fleet as if it were made up of garbage scows, and my expectations become lowered to some degree because I know how things CAN go south with poor training and low attention to detail.

But, no matter how many times I'm told that HAL has "gone to the birds," every time I take a HAL cruise I discover that things are just as lovely, just as pleasant, just as enjoyable as ever. Perhaps it's in-part due to my lower expectations, however HAL has simply never failed to fulfill my expectations.

This being said, I enjoy this forum and most who visit here. I have learned a great deal from the postings here, have hoped I've made a meaningful contribution, and will always appreciate those whom I've met through posting here and cruising on HAL ships.

Well said RevNeal! I agree with you 100%.:cool:

Great thread, Laura.

When we started cruising, we did not have internet and I certainly had no idea of CC and message boards in general. I can't imagine how we managed to take all those cruises before I (happily) found CC. [Our very first cruise, we couldn't figure out where we were supposed to pay for what we had eaten for lunch in Lido the day we boarded. ]

Yes....I think we do micro-analyze and report about each ship/cruise. I really enjoy reading other's thoughts, reactions, impressions, opinions of the various cruises they have enjoyed (or not).

But most of all I enjoy the sharing of our love of cruising with others of like mind. I enjoy the people I've met here and miss them if I or they are absent for long.

As much as we have cruised and think there is little I will learn, Surprise, Surprise, I realize I do not know all there is to know about cruising on HAL.

Thanks to everyone for sharing.

For a newbie....I think it very possible the info overload can detract from anticipation and surprise of discovering for oneself. As a newbie, I don't think I would have viewed our earlier cruises in quite the wide-eyed way I did if I had access to soooo much info.

I started reading these boards after booking my most recent cruise (March 2005) on the HAL Ryndam after not having cruised since the late 80's and early 90's and never having been on a HAL ship. I was looking for information on HAL and the Ryndam and found much more information than I could have imagined.

I did not really have any expectations based on what I read as I took everyone's opinions as just what they were - opinions. But, I was armed with much information and that made the trip and getting around the ship much easier than it might have been. Had a great time, have another cruise booked for this July and am in the planning stages for 2 more. I had forgotten how much I love cruising. So, thanks everybody; keep those opinions coming.

Revneal is right on. The scary stories have not panned out on any of our HAL cruises.

These boards are the greatest because they offer all sides and perspectives. I will spend months pouring over the boards before a cruise. When the cruise is several months away, it is a great way to look forward to the trip.

When anyone tells me that they are going on a cruise, I direct them to these boards. They are the best way to plan and prepare.

As far as lowering expectations, this may very well happen. But that may just be the price for valuable information.

This was a good question for discussion.

Great thread, Laura.

When we started cruising, we did not have internet and I certainly had no idea of CC and message boards in general. I can't imagine how we managed to take all those cruises before I (happily) found CC. [Our very first cruise, we couldn't figure out where we were supposed to pay for what we had eaten for lunch in Lido the day we boarded. ]

I like that! It's cute - and sort of reminds me of our Zuiderdam cruise when we had an S category for the first time... DH took the binoculars to Concierge thinking the previous occupant of the cabin had forgotten them! :)

Everyone has such great responses and input - I have to say that I was relieved when we boarded the Volendam and found little things like the soda cards being the same price they were the previous year, liquor from room service still $24.95 per bottle, etc. - I could go on and on, but I suppose my point is that I was actually getting worried things had changed so much that I wouldn't recognize myself as being on a HAL ship anymore!

I love this website and I love these boards - and as Sail mentions, for me, which is the most important thing - it is the one place we can come and find others who share the same love of cruising!

Great question Laura! As this is my 100th post and the first message board I've ever participated in other than grad classes-I love this board for the wealth of information the cruisers share and the single common love of sailing adventures one can experience. Though we had already booked our room before finding these boards the information others post will certainly enhance our experience. Candid reviews of the best shore excursions, outspoken opinions on what's worth your time & what's not, and especially the off-beaten-path experinces increase my anticipation of our upcoming cruise. The negative & even occasionaly disgruntled reviews & comments do not deter me from frequenting this board.

Thank you everyone for the warmth & friendliness in the pre-planning of "things to know before you go". My gratitude will be extended to others when we return from our cruise adventure as I will post our own review!

I have had so many questions answered on the HAL and Alaska CC board. I had brochures and internet descriptions about the ship/itinerary but still was unsure about so many things. Now, I feel a little wiser about HAL and what is expected of us,too. I pretty much knew what I expected from them, but I have learned how to appropriately deal with many situations whether they are good or bad.

I have learned a lot just from this thread:) That's why this board has so many posts and lots of lurkers.

Thanks and happy cruising to all.

I really appreciate everyone's input and all the info. This reminds me of our first mini-cruise 10 years ago where we did have to pay separately for breakfast or lunch - or both, but it included dinner - or vice versa? Little P & O ferry r/t England to Spain. Some people had other deals. Pretty confusing. Big ships are a lot easier! And it's nice to be able to ask specific questions, even when the answers don't always agree with each other.

Scrumpy

I like that! It's cute - and sort of reminds me of our Zuiderdam cruise when we had an S category for the first time... DH took the binoculars to Concierge thinking the previous occupant of the cabin had forgotten them! :)

QUOTE]

I'm also expecting to be "hosed" because I have a guarantee cabin--all you experienced folk will have snapped up the good cabins, leaving the dregs for us;) So, I know better next time.

You will not be "hosed" if you pick a guarantee...You will receive at the least the category you requested...It's actually a good deal for those who don't have unrealistic expectations...Good luck!

Excellent question. On the HAL CC boards I see more awareness, not expectations being raised. However I do seem to remember some posters in the past expecting PERFECTION - like that is ever going to happen anywhere :rolleyes: .

On some Disney forums (my other vacation addiction :D ), I DO see unrealistic expectations because of the boards. Someone will get a wonderful upgrade, another a fantastic price, a third gets all sorts of 'treats' because of a birthday/anniversary/honeymoon...... and when 'person X' reads all of these reports and does not get ALL of these - their trip was ruined. They feel very cheated :mad: :mad: :mad: . Very, VERY rarely have I noticed anything close to that here.

Great question/observation. Going back on the Zuiderdam Sept 10th & 17th, having been on her before, there isn't all that much to wonder about. Same I guess for these boards.. I love to know everything I can find out about a new ship, on the other hand my dh doesn't want to know a thing, he says it spoils his few hours on the ship exploring..

Having had our first two cruises before finding this site and not yet having another, I am not sure if what I've read has given me higher expectations. I tend to think it's given me lower expectations. It certainly has me anxious to see exactly which end is up on this specific ship. We had such a lovely time on the other HAL cruise that some of the posts I've read have given me pause. What if it was a fluke? What if this particular ship is too large? Should we have waited for another Maasdam cruise? It wasn't perfect, but then again, "the evil you know", etc.

For strictly information, cabin selection, rules/regs/procedures, etc., this site has been valuable. I am actually very glad that I did not find it before our previous HAL cruise, however. In spite of many things that are subjective and the many strong and conflicting opinions/experiences, some very negative, that I've observed here, I do not think I will be disappointed. I will certainly be checking out certain things more closely than I would have otherwise, but I imagine I will continue my practice of disregarding the things that are not a priority. I have been hoping to have a fairly similar experience to our first cruise and I still hope that. Some people can have fun in a paper bag. Some people always have a complaint. I fall in the middle somewhere and try not to believe all the raves or all the condemnations; chances are those extremes will not apply to me.

Well put, as usual, Scrumpy!:) I actually became familiar with this forum just before our first trip on the Maasdam and I was pretty worried, having read many negative reviews/comments. Fortunately and despite the fact that, as in life in general, all was not perfect, we all managed to create many memorable moments on that trip. Many times, one's attitude to a situation plays the most important role in its outcome. I take all of this with a large helping of salt.;)

Archived