150% single rate?

rok233

I got a solo cabin last March for $799 and the cheapest I could find on Carnvial was $900. It was a no brainer, given how easy they made meeting other single cruisers with the meets every evening in the solo lounge. The fact that the Epic is a step above the Valor class ship also made my decision easy lol.

I still really enjoy Carnival but not so much at the 200% rate. Carnival is a great value for couples but not for singles.

They aren't running them that cheap any more. Cheapest I can find is $899 in non-peak season.

I did two solo cruises on the Epic. It would have been about $50 cheaper to go solo on a Carnival ship, but I wanted the solo activities.

People are too hung up on the percentage. Carnival is still going to be cheapest most of the time.

I have quit looking at the percentage..I now tend to look at the per day rate, and then decide. I just booked a 1A with portholes on the 3 legs of the Splendor around the Horn, and the average per day was $148...I consider that a pretty good deal, considering 21 ports in 48 days.

It's hard to find a decent hotel for that price anymore.

Exactly!

Epic is a great ship, but it someone is looking to save money when booking solo, not sure that Epic is a cheaper option. The ship is still almost always more expensive than a 7 day East C cruise on a carnival ship.

My own research seems to find the oposite, but I also do a lot of 'digging' in that research.

Overall, I'm finding that multiple NCL sailings are providing me with (again, for me) a much better experience, and pricing that is either equal or less.

One particular price drop allowed me to be in a balcony on NCL for a few dollars less than a 4A on Carnival, leaving from the same port, the same week, and with almost identical itinerary.

When I booked my upcoming November EPIC studio, the pre-tax cost was $863.

Same basic E Caribbean itinerary on Carnival the same week/port started over $1200 for inside.

My single-occupancy balcony leaving Tampa in 2 weeks (w/ same departure date & same basic itin) on NCL was $500 less than Carnival at the time of booking, and the gap grew even more over time. It's the calendar week I book for a cruise every single year, so some line, and some ship, is bound to get me onboard.

Being more pleased, and with more moolah left in my pocket, makes me a happy camper. :D

They aren't running them that cheap any more. Cheapest I can find is $899 in non-peak season.

I did two solo cruises on the Epic. It would have been about $50 cheaper to go solo on a Carnival ship, but I wanted the solo activities.

People are too hung up on the percentage. Carnival is still going to be cheapest most of the time.

Maybe when they have a sale you'll be able get it for $799(I got mine during a sale). After saying that, I'll gladly pay $50 just for how easy they make it to meet other singles on the Epic. I'd also pay an extra $50 to go on the Epic over any of the Carnival ships I've been on (Valor and Freedom). I still like Carnival but if the price is even close I'm going with the Epic.

My own research seems to find the oposite, but I also do a lot of 'digging' in that research.

When I booked my upcoming November EPIC studio, the pre-tax cost was $863.

Same basic E Caribbean itinerary on Carnival the same week/port started over $1200 for inside.

My single-occupancy balcony leaving Tampa in 2 weeks (w/ same departure date & same basic itin) on NCL was $500 less than Carnival at the time of booking, and the gap grew even more over time. It's the calendar week I book for a cruise every single year, so some line, and some ship, is bound to get me onboard.

Which Carnival ships are you comparing??

I have to admit, I use ES when booking, so that skews the numbers quite a bit.

Well, I guess I did o.k. with 1 out of the 2 cruises I was checking out-I was able to book the Glory about 3 weeks ago for a good price-not 150%, but better than 200%; I booked solo using E.S. in a 1A with portholes-with tax/fees, the total was $737.00.:)

Earlier this week, when it was announced that the Miracle would be going to Alaska starting in May 2013, I checked the 1A's for early May, going solo-this was definently 200%, and even using E.S., it was nearly $1500.00:eek:-my PVP said that Alaska is very popular.....

Anyways, Happy Cruising to all-which ever cruise line you go on:cool:

It's not the Thanksgiving sailing.

Holiday cruises are never good for the comparison game. :)

At the prices you posted, I knew it couldnt be a holiday sailing.

I was just trying to check the prices you quoted. I see Valor doing 8 day easterns in Nov, but maybe the price dropped alot since you booked, because I cant replicate $1200 for an inside.

Thanks for the replies. I hope Carnival has solo cabins like NCL on the next ship they build. The cabins are small but it's a great concept.

I agree. Plenty of room for SOLO cruisers. Only use the cabin for sleeping, bathing, and changing clothes. I would give NCL a try with the Epic if it would ever come to the West Coast.

Yes, the Epic's studio cabins are a great concept. The major problem with those cabins are they are INSIDE only cabins and I need a balcony....

Carnival always has the best deals and since I have cruised solo many times I don't have issues with paying 200%...

No one cruiseline ALWAYS has the best deals. sorry, but look around.

Thanks for the replies. I hope Carnival has solo cabins like NCL on the next ship they build. The cabins are small but it's a great concept.

I doubt it will become a trend. NCL first built the studios for "hip couples" when they couldnt sell the cabins, they went into spin control and dubbed them great for singles.

On Breakaway they greatly reduced the number of studios cabins.

I think they are great, but I wouldnt wait on other cruiselines to follow suit. They would rather go after families than solo cruisers.

I am still upset with Carnival for doing away with the 150% solo supplement. As Firefly says, play around with the prices on Royal and Celebrity and some deals come up and not all insides.

These are the links to the Tuesday (Monday) specials.

XcitingDeals_cel_tues.pdf (application/pdf Object)

rci_sales_event.pdf (application/pdf Object)

Thanks for those links. Bookmarking.

Maybe when they have a sale you'll be able get it for $799(I got mine during a sale). After saying that, I'll gladly pay $50 just for how easy they make it to meet other singles on the Epic. I'd also pay an extra $50 to go on the Epic over any of the Carnival ships I've been on (Valor and Freedom). I still like Carnival but if the price is even close I'm going with the Epic.

I completely agree with you. My point was just that everybody always says to go for a studio on the Epic when the 200% comes up, and a studio on the Epic isn't a cheaper solution. Again, people get too hung up on the percentage instead of the total dollars.

I doubt it will become a trend. NCL first built the studios for "hip couples" when they couldnt sell the cabins, they went into spin control and dubbed them great for singles.

On Breakaway they greatly reduced the number of studios cabins.

I think they are great, but I wouldnt wait on other cruiselines to follow suit. They would rather go after families than solo cruisers.

Unfortunately, you're right.

I have quit looking at the percentage..I now tend to look at the per day rate, and then decide. I just booked a 1A with portholes on the 3 legs of the Splendor around the Horn, and the average per day was $148...I consider that a pretty good deal, considering 21 ports in 48 days.

It's hard to find a decent hotel for that price anymore.

I also look a the price per day rate, but also check a few websites that list low single supplements.

There is a link on the solo cruiser board that people post solo cruise deals

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=851324

If anyone finds a great rate(has to be a advertised rate, not something that a TA is offering)....share the info on the above thread.

I am still upset with Carnival for doing away with the 150% solo supplement. As Firefly says, play around with the prices on Royal and Celebrity and some deals come up and not all insides.

These are the links to the Tuesday (Monday) specials.

XcitingDeals_cel_tues.pdf (application/pdf Object)

rci_sales_event.pdf (application/pdf Object)

are these sales also listed on the site every Tuesday? are they labeled "tuesday sale"?

Do you think that the Epic will ever come to the West Coast? I would love to try a studio cabin.

The EPIC is too big for the canal. Would have to do the tip of South America route.(like the SPLENDOR)

If both RCCL and CARNIVAL can't fill their ships at a viable price on the left coast, than more than likely, NCL won't be able to either. But if there was ever a chance for NCL to get its "foot in the door", now is the time. If it happens, they'll bring a smaller older ship here, though.:(

I also love the studio idea. I think its brilliant, actually. There's several great videos of the studio cabins by passengers on youtube. ;)

are these sales also listed on the site every Tuesday? are they labeled "tuesday sale"?

Not sure if they actually show them on the main Royal or Celebrity site. I have used them. Phone in and ask for the Tuesday special.

My very best deal was solo supplement of 125% for Australia /New Zealand in 2009. Total cost $950 solo for 14 days.

I looked for singles deals for my mother-in-law. She's going with us on the Fantasy next month. I couldn't find any. The only break is that she doesn't have to pay the taxes and port charges.

Everyone has to pay port charges(since they are embedded in the cruise fare) and govt tax.

I looked for singles deals for my mother-in-law. She's going with us on the Fantasy next month. I couldn't find any. The only break is that she doesn't have to pay the taxes and port charges.

My PVP swears that there are no deals on Carnival less than 200%, no matter what anyone tells you.

As someone already mentioned .. you are confusing port fees, with the add on fees and taxes .. which are not added on. A lot of people keep assuming that port fees are that tiny amount added on as fees .. no matter how many times people explain it.

Archived