Overview of drink packages

sarafinadh

ditto. Thanks for all of that. we got a 6-7 bottle wine pkg on our trip last year., and ended up sharing it with others at the table in the end bec we could not drink it all. If it is opened for dinner and you do not finish it the waiter will re cork it and save it for you for the next dinner. That was very helpful.

annie and jim

Just booked Summit E Caribbean, 3/29/14: our first Celebrity. So am familiarizing this cruiseline's rules & regs. I now must go back to my TA and ask about comp Classic drinks pkg! What are X's rules about bringing bottles on board while in ports? What's the MDR corkage fee?

Just booked Summit E Caribbean, 3/29/14: our first Celebrity. So am familiarizing this cruiseline's rules & regs. I now must go back to my TA and ask about comp Classic drinks pkg! What are X's rules about bringing bottles on board while in ports? What's the MDR corkage fee?

Only wine is allowed to be brought on at embarkation. Two bottles per cabin. $25 corkage fee in the main dining room as well as the specialty restaurants.

As a general rule, you can forget about bringing anything on board from any of your ports of call. If you do, it will be taken by the security people and handed back last night of the cruise. Don't forget to take a picture with your phone of the bottle they take and the security person who takes it.

That being said, Celebrity allows you to bring on board two bottles of wine per cabin at the embarkation port. No hard liquor or beer. Soda and water seem to be ok as well.

Not sure what the corkage fee is but if you buy a bottle on board, there is no corkage fee. Also you can always bring a glass of your wine into dining room and avoid the fee that way.

Anyone knows if Caipirinha (Cocktail) is available? At which bars, at what price?

Curious if it will fit into the classic package ($8 Limit). Thanks!

This is my favorite and I only find it at the martini bar

I now must go back to my TA and ask about comp Classic drinks pkg!

Good luck with that......unless your TA had group space reserved during either round 1 or 2 of the 123 Go Promotion or during the pick your perk promotion and they had some kind of clause allowing them to fill in the names on the reservation at a later date, you will not be able to partake in any free drink promo. Now that you know about X, keep update don the boards and you'll be able to hop on board if they ever bring the promos back.

I realize the following:

A. That you are entitled to discounts on bottled wine if you purchase a drink package (20% Classic and 30% Premium).

B. That sharing isn't allowed.

However, is there anything prohibiting me from buying bottles of wine on my account (and take advantage of the discount the package provides) to be enjoyed by others in our party? I am traveling with a large party and would like to be able to buy a few bottles for the table in addition to the glasses I will be drinking. This is not meant to spur an ethical debate, but rather understand what is allowed by X. ;)

I realize the following:

A. That you are entitled to discounts on bottled wine if you purchase a drink package (20% Classic and 30% Premium).

B. That sharing isn't allowed.

However, is there anything prohibiting me from buying bottles of wine on my account (and take advantage of the discount the package provides) to be enjoyed by others in our party? I am traveling with a large party and would like to be able to buy a few bottles for the table in addition to the glasses I will be drinking. This is not meant to spur an ethical debate, but rather understand what is allowed by X. ;)

Interesting question.

If you buy a wine package (3, 5, or 7 bottles) the bottles can be shared. That being said, X clearly won't allow you to share drinks with a drink package. I am interested, also, in whether anyone has any specific experience with this issue.

Do we have to purchase the alcohol package for the entire cruise? Can we buy halfway through instead?

Thanks

Yes and the cost will be pro rated. The offer to purchase is withdrawn about 4 days before the end of the cruise.

My wife and I have the Classic package as part of the 123 promo. Sailing on Infinity in August. A couple of questions if you please:

1) We would like to stock up on a few bottles of water to use in our room and for excursions. With the "one at a time" rule I'm thinking I'll have to make the rounds to several places and pick up a bottle at each location. However I am concerned that the computer will "catch" me! :rolleyes: Any advice on the best way to do that?

2) I'm confused about the coffee selection. I have seen references to "Premium" and "Specialty" coffee. Are the coffees from Cafe Al Bacio included on the Classic package?

My wife and I have the Classic package as part of the 123 promo. Sailing on Infinity in August. A couple of questions if you please:

1) We would like to stock up on a few bottles of water to use in our room and for excursions. With the "one at a time" rule I'm thinking I'll have to make the rounds to several places and pick up a bottle at each location. However I am concerned that the computer will "catch" me! :rolleyes: Any advice on the best way to do that?

2) I'm confused about the coffee selection. I have seen references to "Premium" and "Specialty" coffee. Are the coffees from Cafe Al Bacio included on the Classic package?

All the coffees fom Al Bacio are included. We had no problem getting water for the room and on departing the ship for excursions there was a table set up where you could stock up. You wont have a problem.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We always grabbed an extra bottle of water whenever we were heading to our room, so we always ended up with extras in our room. We grabbed a fresh bottle each on the way out of the ship each day to excursions so it at least started cold. As an FYI, for any water you put in your fridge, when you leave your room the last night they lock your fridge, so make sure you take any of your water out. Our room stewart took ours out and left it on the dresser above, but our friends didn't so when they went back to the room that last night planning for their water it was locked up.

Sue

• 1 month later...
Just an FYI...the limit on each package is based on before gratuity prices. So when it says, for instance, that the classic package covers drinks up to $8, you can order anything up to $8 before the gratuity is added. So if you order a cocktail that's $12 before gratuity and you have the premium package, it's still covered, even though the 15% would put it over $12.
\

THANK YOU! I have been reading forever waiting for this point to be addressed. All of the information has been very helpful, but this point of the gratuity on top of the listed price was killing me on using the classic package for beer and staying under the $5.

As a general rule, you can forget about bringing anything on board from any of your ports of call. If you do, it will be taken by the security people and handed back last night of the cruise. Don't forget to take a picture with your phone of the bottle they take and the security person who takes it.

That being said, Celebrity allows you to bring on board two bottles of wine per cabin at the embarkation port. No hard liquor or beer. Soda and water seem to be ok as well.

Not sure what the corkage fee is but if you buy a bottle on board, there is no corkage fee. Also you can always bring a glass of your wine into dining room and avoid the fee that way.

Firstly, thank you all! This thread is an amazing brains trust of information.

As an Australian newbie to cruising, I have booked 2 Aqua cabins to take parents on also their first cruise around NZ in Dec 13. Having reading the entire thread there are still some qu.s from a newbie about drinks and packages.

It would appear from posts that non-alcoholic drinks such as water and soda can be taken on board with no issue at initial port (is this fleet and world wide policy?). Also several posts referred to being able to take 2 bottles of wine (is this per person or stateroom?) and a corkage charge of US$25 in restaurants (is this per bottle or per allocation and does corkage still get charged if you crack it yourself in your cabin?)

The PREMIUM DRINKS PACKAGE over 12 days translates to round AUD$2330 for 3 adults which seems a lot, as close to an additional one third of total cruise cost given none of us drink soda, specialty coffee, water is included in AC and I am the only one likely to have a martini at sundown. NB disregard the AUD and treat as face value to US as that is what we need to do when travelling where US Currency used.

As wine drinkers at dinner, the PREMIUM WINE PACKAGE of round AUD$465 for 3 adults for the cruise is of interest however is it is unclear from the X site information how much wine this includes over the duration, just a saving of 15% on price. Can anyone inform how this works - is it set at 2-3 glasses a night or drink cheaper wine and get more or do you choose bottles? It's a mystery from the company site explanation.

Thanks

A

Firstly, thank you all! This thread is an amazing brains trust of information.

As an Australian newbie to cruising, I have booked 2 Aqua cabins to take parents on also their first cruise around NZ in Dec 13. Having reading the entire thread there are still some qu.s from a newbie about drinks and packages.

It would appear from posts that non-alcoholic drinks such as water and soda can be taken on board with no issue at initial port (is this fleet and world wide policy?). Also several posts referred to being able to take 2 bottles of wine (is this per person or stateroom?) and a corkage charge of US$25 in restaurants (is this per bottle or per allocation and does corkage still get charged if you crack it yourself in your cabin?)

The PREMIUM DRINKS PACKAGE over 12 days translates to round AUD$2330 for 3 adults which seems a lot, as close to an additional one third of total cruise cost given none of us drink soda, specialty coffee, water is included in AC and I am the only one likely to have a martini at sundown. NB disregard the AUD and treat as face value to US as that is what we need to do when travelling where US Currency used.

As wine drinkers at dinner, the PREMIUM WINE PACKAGE of round AUD$465 for 3 adults for the cruise is of interest however is it is unclear from the X site information how much wine this includes over the duration, just a saving of 15% on price. Can anyone inform how this works - is it set at 2-3 glasses a night or drink cheaper wine and get more or do you choose bottles? It's a mystery from the company site explanation.

Thanks

A

Wine brought on board: The limit is two bottles per cabin regardless of the number of occupants. The corkage fee is a fee for each bottle brought to the dining room to enjoy. Despite its name it has nothing to do with the actual opening of the bottle but is simply a fee to cover profits lost when a patron brings their own bottle into an establishment selling wine. I've read of some passengers taking a single poured glass to the dining room and fees are not charged for that but if you take a bottle you will be charged whether it is already open or not. When we are taking a bottle we often send it early in the day through our cabin steward or drop it off earlier so we don't have to carry it around with us.

The unlimited Premium, and Classic, beverage packages are in fact expensive since they are priced above the average passengers beverage expenditure. If the packages price is high enough that you are uncertain if it is right for you then do not buy it in advance. Start out paying as you go and buying each drink individually. If after a day or two you think the package would have been better you can still buy it on board at a price prorated for the remainder of the cruise. Remember that the drink prices on the ship are not retail prices but are much higher as they are the type of prices you'd expect to find at a nice restaurant or bar.

The wine packages are priced for a certain number of bottles and not per person. These bottles can be shared by however many people you'd like to share them with - this is different from the unlimited packages which are priced per person and can not be shared. So I'm guessing that your figure of AUD$465 is for three packages but you will actually only need one bottled wine package to start. The base prices shown on Celebrity's site are usually for three bottles. When you go to actually buy them you'll select from a three, five or seven bottle choice with the larger quantities being a simple multiple of the three bottle price. A 15% service charge will also be added. Once the bottles are consumed the package is over and you can then either purchase another package on board or order glasses or bottles of wine from the wine list. Personally I do not like the wine packages as they limit your choices to a modest selection of similarly priced wines as opposed to the much larger and varied selection of wines by the bottle available from the main dining room wine list. But I recognize that the packages are just right for some people. Here is the entire list and the selection available for the wine packages is listed on the last couple pages: http://lfsimon.home.comcast.net/~lfsimon/Celebrity%20MDR%20Wine%20List%20-%20Eclipse%20March%202013.pdf

Edited by Lsimon

Wine brought on board: The limit is two bottles per cabin regardless of the number of occupants. The corkage fee is a fee for each bottle brought to the dining room to enjoy. Despite its name it has nothing to do with the actual opening of the bottle but is simply a fee to cover profits lost when a patron brings their own bottle into an establishment selling wine. I've read of some passengers taking a single poured glass to the dining room and fees are not charged for that but if you take a bottle you will be charged whether it is already open or not. When we are taking a bottle we often send it early in the day through our cabin steward or drop it off earlier so we don't have to carry it around with us.

The unlimited Premium, and Classic, beverage packages are in fact expensive since they are priced above the average passengers beverage expenditure. If the packages price is high enough that you are uncertain if it is right for you then do not buy it in advance. Start out paying as you go and buying each drink individually. If after a day or two you think the package would have been better you can still buy it on board at a price prorated for the remainder of the cruise. Remember that the drink prices on the ship are not retail prices but are much higher as they are the type of prices you'd expect to find at a nice restaurant or bar.

The wine packages are priced for a certain number of bottles and not per person. These bottles can be shared by however many people you'd like to share them with - this is different from the unlimited packages which are priced per person and can not be shared. So I'm guessing that your figure of AUD$465 is for three packages but you will actually only need one bottled wine package to start. The base prices shown on Celebrity's site are usually for three bottles. When you go to actually buy them you'll select from a three, five or seven bottle choice with the larger quantities being a simple multiple of the three bottle price. A 15% service charge will also be added. Once the bottles are consumed the package is over and you can then either purchase another package on board or order glasses or bottles of wine from the wine list. Personally I do not like the wine packages as they limit your choices to a modest selection of similarly priced wines as opposed to the much larger and varied selection of wines by the bottle available from the main dining room wine list. But I recognize that the packages are just right for some people. Here is the entire list and the selection available for the wine packages is listed on the last couple pages: http://lfsimon.home.comcast.net/~lfsimon/Celebrity%20MDR%20Wine%20List%20-%20Eclipse%20March%202013.pdf

Thank you Larry for your timely, considered and informative response.

Bringing on 4 'special' bottles of wine would appear to work out more cost effective (even with the corkage and service charge) than pre-purchasing one Premium wine package of 3 bottles to start with as there is the option of purchasing wine packages during cruise. Also it is comforting to know, should I discover a love of cocktails, I can always opt for a pro-rata package during cruise.

This is the sort of information from the diaspora of the experienced is gold for first timers unclear about what should be locked in pre-cruise and what can be purchased on cruise if viable so thank you.

Can anyone clarify the rules about whether there are any restrictions about bringing on sodas and water at initial port? Talking about a 12 pack of apparently non-stocked diet brand and 12 pack of Fiji water also apparently non-stocked.

...Can anyone clarify the rules about whether there are any restrictions about bringing on sodas and water at initial port? Talking about a 12 pack of apparently non-stocked diet brand and 12 pack of Fiji water also apparently non-stocked.

I've never heard of anyone being limited in bringing on soda or bottled water. Occasionally someone will report having a question about this answered negatively by the telephone customer service but, unfortunately, they are well known for being out of touch with actual policy and practice on the ships. After reading posts on these boards for years from people who have brought on a case of bottled water, checking it at the pier with their luggage for cabin delivery, we tried it ourselves a few cruises ago and had no issues. We did that a few cruises but have not recently since we've bought the non-alcoholic package the past few cruises we've been on.

Edited by Lsimon

Thank you Larry for your timely, considered and informative response.

Bringing on 4 'special' bottles of wine would appear to work out more cost effective (even with the corkage and service charge) than pre-purchasing one Premium wine package of 3 bottles to start with as there is the option of purchasing wine packages during cruise. Also it is comforting to know, should I discover a love of cocktails, I can always opt for a pro-rata package during cruise.

This is the sort of information from the diaspora of the experienced is gold for first timers unclear about what should be locked in pre-cruise and what can be purchased on cruise if viable so thank you.

Can anyone clarify the rules about whether there are any restrictions about bringing on sodas and water at initial port? Talking about a 12 pack of apparently non-stocked diet brand and 12 pack of Fiji water also apparently non-stocked.

No limit on the water or soda that I know of. It does not have to be a brand not stocked on the ship. You can also bring back soda and water during your port stops.