Overview of drink packages

sarafinadh

HI PNSNKR,

See you are new here... so Welcome Aboard the CC CELEBRITY BOARD !!

Thank you for your warm welcome!

Drink Package is good from the minute you board (or buy the package) until the minute you get off the ship.

This is really good to know. Thank you for the information.

Regarding the drink packages, are they valid for all drink orders aboard ship within the selection lists for your package, or are there exceptions where you may order a drink from your list and still be charged for it? Am thinking of shipboard parties with open bars, as an example.

Regarding the drink packages, are they valid for all drink orders aboard ship within the selection lists for your package, or are there exceptions where you may order a drink from your list and still be charged for it? Am thinking of shipboard parties with open bars, as an example.

TO DJC4410,

Classic Alcohol Package will cover you up to $ 8 per pour / glass. Premimum Alcohol Package covers up to $ 12 per pour / glass.

On ONLY the Premium you can buy an individual pour / glass that costs more... and just be charged the difference (so a $ 15 glass of REAL Champagne, means that your Onboard Account will be charged the $ 3 difference PLUS the 15% Tip on the difference... works out to $ 0.45 for the Tip)

Packages are good in any Bars, the Dining Rooms (MDR or Blu), and the Specialty Restaurants.

Packages are not valid for Room Service or the Mini Bar in your Room.

--- --- ---

Lol, Not sure what a you are referring to when you say an Onboard Party with Open Bar (Open Bar to me translates into meaning "NO CHARGE" to you the Guest... but obviously "someone" is footing the bill)... and other than something like the Elite Cocktail Hours (for Elite Members of the Captain's Club) ... I can't think of any situation when there is an "Open Bar" situation on board.

Perhaps, you should give us some more info...

Cheers!

I am loving all this wonderful detailed information! My extended family (group of 9) will be cruising to Bermuda in June and I am trying to understand and evaluate the beverage plans.

One thing I haven't seen listed. How much is a simple cocktail? Say Bourbon on the rocks, or Rum and sprite? Although I love the occasional fancy martini...we are simple folks ;)

We are thinking about getting the stateroom bar setup for my husband (who only drinks his bourbon), but I can't decide if I will get a bottle of rum included or just order my drinks one at a time as I like a little more variety.

thanks again for all the absolutely wonderful information!

The price for the 5 bottle premium wine package works out to about $45/bottle. Yet, if I look at the wines that are included, the normal (unpackaged) price/bottle appears to be $45 or less. If so, what is the advantage of buying the package, rather than just ordering the bottles individually?

I understand that Celebrity allows you to bring on 2 bottles/stateroom at embarkation. Do the allow you to bring on wine at port stops?

Thanks for all the info.

Looking at the price list, I see you can buy the "taste of the vineyards" "classic" wine package and get 7 bottles for $251.85. That is $36 per bottle.

There are 18 different bottles one can choose from on this package. It looks like only 1 of those 18 bottles would cost more than $36 if bought individually...the other 17 bottles range in price $24-$35. So if I am reading this correctly, if one doesn't intend to order the Villa Maria Sauvignon Blanc, you would actually lose money by purchasing this package. I guess that helps my decision!

(oops, just read posted just above me making same point...)

Edited by jr72

The only drink other than water for me is Diet softdrink and I usually just drink it out of 2L bottles (diet coke, pepsi max for example).

I go through at least a 2L bottle of it a day, would it be worthwhile getting the soda package or just bring my own bottles onboard?

I read they only give you a can at a time and you can't request cans of it to be avalibale in your staetroom even if you have the soda package. I like to sip it indoors when I am in the cabin so a can at a time is probably too much of a hassle for me to go out and get one everytime I want one.

I noticed on celebrity website they have a stateroom bar setup for alcohol but it also specific that 'You may also choose from a list of mixers, including Coca-Cola® products, Ginger Ale, tonic water or juices' and the price is $75.20 AUD Per Package (per stateroom?) compared to $6.58AUD a night per person. Is it possible to get the stateroom bar setup and only get diet soda instead of alcohol so I will have unlimited supply of diet soda in the room? It also cost much less of what a soda package will cost per person since its for the stateroom of two occupants?

Soda package for two is $6.58 x 18 nights x 2 person + 15% service charge = $272.

Stateroom bar setup is only $72.20 per package.

Edited by 1stcruise2012

You can "stockpile" it. I like to have a drink or two in the afternoons in my cabin as well as Baileys in my coffee at night and in the morning. I plan on just getting one every time I am headed to the cabin so it's there when I want it. You can get several cans at different bars on your way to the cabin and keep it in your fridge.

Thanks to all for the great info on this thread.

I think we've decided against any alcoholic drink package because we have the Elite status benefits as well as a butler on our next sailing (Century) for coffee drinks, etc.

But can any other poster with Elite status benefits comment on the variety and quality of brands poured at the Elite cocktail hour? I assume it's fairly low-end and limited, which is why I'm like a kid in a candy store reading about the variety of martinis, etc, one can try out with a beverage package.

Help!

I misunderstood the meaning of stateroom bar setup package thinking it was unlimited. Apparently is a 6 cans of mixers + bottle of alcohol. Not what I was hoping for which is unlimited mixers to use as a cheaper soda package alternative :(

You can "stockpile" it. I like to have a drink or two in the afternoons in my cabin as well as Baileys in my coffee at night and in the morning. I plan on just getting one every time I am headed to the cabin so it's there when I want it. You can get several cans at different bars on your way to the cabin and keep it in your fridge.

Thanks.

What's the best way to pack the two bottles of wine per room? Lots of bubble wrap? We are driving so no potential throwing of bags by airline handlers...

HI SMASH VBALL,

Just put them in your carry-on. Less risk / hassle. And you won't run the chance of being called down to the "Naughty Room" and having your baggage delayed.

Cheers!

Thanks to all for the great info on this thread.

I think we've decided against any alcoholic drink package because we have the Elite status benefits as well as a butler on our next sailing (Century) for coffee drinks, etc.

But can any other poster with Elite status benefits comment on the variety and quality of brands poured at the Elite cocktail hour? I assume it's fairly low-end and limited, which is why I'm like a kid in a candy store reading about the variety of martinis, etc, one can try out with a beverage package.

Help!

HI BEAV,

Somewhere here on the CC CELEBRITY BOARD there is a past posting with info on what is available at the Elite Happy Hour, I remember reading it / comenting on it... (not all low-end items ... but certainly a short-list of offerings).

Hopefully, someone else who is Elite will post the list...

But in the meantime...

I'll see if I can't do a BOARD SEARCH and find it for you (not always an easy task)... info not always posted in topics that correspond to the title of the post :(

Cheers!

HI BEAV,

Found the list... for the Captain's Club Elite Evening Cocktails Get-together

Info was originally posted by CRUISESTITCH and SLK230RED

WINES

Sparkling = Celebrity Vintages Sparkling Wine

White = Chardonnay, Tormaresca, Antinori, Italy

Red = Diva Bordeaux A.C., Haute-Medoc, France

ALCOHOL

Skyy Vodka

Beefeater Gin

Bacardi Rum

Jim Bean Bourbon

Dewar’s White Label Scotch

Courvoisier VS Cognac

BEERS

Heineken

Bud Light

O’Doul’s

Sodas & Juices

And some mixed Drinks… including Screwdrivers, Kir Royal, Cosmopolitans, Martinis and a few others… but not Margaritas, Mai Tais, or other “tropical” drinks.

Hope this is helpful,

Cheers!

This thread began because I was trying to decipher the assorted beverage packages for my FIL. I spoke with him today and he wanted to make sure he understood correctly that he could for sure wait until we were aboard to make a decisions.

I promised that he could and he heaved a huge sigh of relief and confessed that it was all so complicated that he thought it would be easier to just pay as we went. He figured that if we got aboard and rethought it we could sign up then.

I had to chuckle. It is complicated. I wonder if a simpler policy would serve X better. How many potential guests pass on the packages because its so complex...?

This thread began because I was trying to decipher the assorted beverage packages for my FIL. I spoke with him today and he wanted to make sure he understood correctly that he could for sure wait until we were aboard to make a decisions.

I promised that he could and he heaved a huge sigh of relief and confessed that it was all so complicated that he thought it would be easier to just pay as we went. He figured that if we got aboard and rethought it we could sign up then.

I had to chuckle. It is complicated. I wonder if a simpler policy would serve X better. How many potential guests pass on the packages because its so complex...?

HI SARAFINADH,

As you know, I did a lot of research BEFORE my own cruise... and then did a lot of posting after my cruise with info that I gathered... in hopes of making it easier for folks to comprehend all the choices (and make a decision right for them)

I agree, there is almost too many choices...

Water Package - Soda Package - Non Alcoholic (Classic & Premium) - Alcoholic (Classic & Premium) - Stateroom Bar Set-Ups - Wine Bottle Packages - Cellar Masters Enomatic Cards - or ala carte / Pay as you go.

But in the end, I truly believe there is something that fits everyone's needs...

Sure you have to do a bit of research upfront (certainly a lot easier now than it was before, considering you & I have put a lot of time into this de-muddling). BUT in the long run, once aboard and on "a package" it really truly is easy-peasy.

We definitely broke even / came out ahead, when you take into consideration not just the alcohol that we drank but ALL the other bevvys that are covered under the Premium Package.

And the ease of use, show your card and go, was amazing.

Would we do it again? Well to be honest it would depend on the situation... another 7 Night Sailing like we had, with 4 Days at Sea, for sure.

Our upcoming 7 Night Sailing with 1 Day at Sea... well we are back at square one having to "do the math" all over again.

But, I am certain that we'll end up doing some sort of combo... perhaps a Wine Package for our evenings in the MDR / Specialty Restaurants, and then the rest ala carte. On the Solstice we spent $ 434.70 each ($ 54 x 7 Days x 2 PLUS 15% Tip = $ 869.40) and when I look at that amount over our upcoming cruise that is port intensive, I'm pretty sure that I can find a way to spend similar or less if I study the wine packages further.

But as always, the only way to truly know for sure is to "do the math"

Lol, your FIL is right, there is always the option of signing up once aboard... that is unless there is a price increase (or a SALE like Celebrity offered in January for all cruises in 2012) ... in that case, one feels they HAVE to make a decision under pressure / time restraints... :confused:

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

Hello everyone.

My first post on these forums. We have booked on the Silhouette for June this year. I haven't had the opportunity to get through many posts yet, but I have one question please. Our TA advised us that if we booked the classic, or premium alcohol packages, these didn't include wine at dinner - in the main dining room. This doesn't sound right to me. Surely this is included?

Plenty of you people will know the answer to this.

Edited by leylander

Hello everyone.

My first post on these forums. We have booked on the Silhouette for June this year. I haven't had the opportunity to get through many posts yet, but I have one question please. Our TA advised us that if we booked the classic, or premium alcohol packages, these didn't include wine at dinner - in the main dining room. This doesn't sound right to me. Surely this is included?

Classic Package

Upgrade your cruise experience and pay one price to enjoy all of the benefits of our Classic Non-Alcoholic package as well as all Beers up to $5 per serving and spirits, cocktails and wines by the glass up to $8 per serving.

*Starting from: 44.00 USD Per Night

premium_package.jpgPremium Package

For the ultimate in value and convenience, our premium package provides all the benefits of our Premium Non-Alcoholic Package. In addition, you can enjoy our entire selection of Beers as well as Spirits, Cocktails and Wines by the Glass up to $12 per serving.

*Starting from: 54.00 USD Per Night

You can have your wine by the glass at dinner.

Hello everyone.

HI LEYLANDER,

Welcome Aboard the Cruise Critic Celebrity Board !!

Indeed Wines served "By the Glass" in the Dining Rooms (Main or Blu), Specialty Restaurants, and Bars are included up to whatever level you purchase in the Alcohol Package (Classic = $ 8 / Premium = $ 12).

And I can tell you like many others, that the wine was poured quite freely when we were in the MDR on The Solstice... never a problem getting a glass, or keeping our glasses full.

And with "the Package" it is nice to be able to try different things, or perhaps have different wines to drink with each course (we did that often).

For a complete list of Celebrity's 2012 "Wines By The Glass" see the top of this topic and SARAFINADH's first post (# 1)... contained therein she has copied the list for the Main Dining Rooms (same list applies to Blu as well)

Hope this is helpful,

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

$ 5812 (523) – Screaming Eagle, Oakville, 2006

Seriously? Please tell me that's a typo??? I am definitely not an expert on wine but would someone really pay that much for a bottle of wine?

Still agonizing over the plans... have to decide soon!

Seriously? Please tell me that's a typo??? I am definitely not an expert on wine but would someone really pay that much for a bottle of wine?

The average price for that bottle on the auction market is currently $1,800 so by the time you add on the Cruise Lines Mark-Up, that is about the right price...

From a 2006 Article on Screaming Eagle

The wine now costs $300 for customers on its mailing list, but at the few retail stores that manage to acquire it, four-digit prices are common. At the 2000 Napa Valley Wine Auction, a retired Silicon Valley executive paid $500,000 for just one 6-liter bottle of that first vintage of Screaming Eagle.

http://www.wine-searcher.com/wine-168-2006-screaming-eagle-cabernet-sauvignon-napa-valley-usa

Edited by johnb0529

Hello - great information! How does one go about purchasing the drink package(s)? Do ALL the people in your stateroom have to purchase the package (i.e., alcohol)? This was the case on an MSC cruise I took last summer.

Greetings

Screaming Eagle is the cult wine of cult wines. It is very difficult to obtain. There is a waiting list, but it seems that you never move from the waiting list to the active list. If you are lucky enough to reach the active list, you can purchase 3 bottles. It became famous when Heidi Barrett was the winemaker. Prices for it are crazy. They make less that 750 cases per year. The 2006 vintage was not the best of recent years, hate to see what they want for a 2007.

Good Sailing

Tom