Jewel and the Port of Astoria, Oregon

Redheel Girl

I am almost sure there will be a bus tour to Ft. Clatsop, it is a very Historic Site, about 5 miles from the Pier. But I can check for sure. I have no idea where Fort Astoria is that a poster mentioned a few post ago, if it was in walking distance from the Liberty theater I guess the poster may be was referring to the Maritime Museum, a must see. I will do some checking and see if I can find out what local bus tours are available and the costs.

When you live in the area, you do not go on tours so sometimes it is confusing about the titles. Go figure.

Perhaps they meant Ft Stevens?

As for the excursions - the Jewel only stops in Astoria in Sept. on its Vancouver BC to LA repo and all of the tours I mentioned are available for that cruise as well as the Spring repo on the Pearl.

According to my AAA Tour Book: Fort Astoria (Exchange and 15th Streets). The present fort is a re-creation of one corner of the 1811 fort, which was the first permanent American outpost west of the Mississippi. Since the next listing in my book is the Heritage Museum (1616 Exchange), it may be part of that.

Found out today that any tours have to be bought from your Ship, no "local" ones available. There is an established Tour that goes to Ft. Clatsop, Astoria Column and Maritime Museum. Cost probably differs a little with each cruise line. There is an Enterprise Car Rental agency in town and I know they "gear up" for the cruise passengers.

I think tourists know more about areas than those who live there.?!

What can you tell me about the Town of Astoria, Oregon. Is the town near the Port so you could just walk to town? Would you recommend a tour or just sight seeing on your own.:rolleyes:

When are you planning to be on The Jewel? I have said that I did not want to do another West Coast, but I just might come when you do. I live about 8 hours up the Columbia River in Southeastern Washington, but I have family in the Astoria area. Three weeks from tomorrow I will be going again.

Hi Traveler...We will be on the September 22 Cruise out of Vancouver and we will be in Astoria on Sunday September 23rd. Tis will be a nice Cruise and because it is a Repo the price is much better so I can have a Suite. Come on the Cruise and we will have a small Meet and Greet. I have been a Voyer on the Roll Call for 9\27 and they are very quiet.:D:D:D

:D Hello all,

Got our AAA guides yesterday (too), signed in for the Rollcall

and getting that tourist'ie ... tried eyes syndrome.

NW Pacific : "Found out today that any tours have to be bought

from your Ship, no "local" ones available....."

Do you imagine that there are 'locals' who 'linger' about

(unofficially) , not connected to the cruise line doing tours?

Seems every port we have ever visited had 'privateers' just

outside the gates ... and mostly we have found that type to be more personal

and able to tweak the tour to your likes + without the crowds and lines ...

Anyways , lots of time to check it all out.

See ya all aboard ... and maybe over at the :)rollcall;)

:) .. Seamo :)

This was a cool stop. The ship docks a few blocks from where people live and work. We walked into town, toured the old theatre, had an EXCELLENT BBQ along the river. We then walked up into the residential area and made a long walk through the hills and then back towards the ship. Stopped in a little bar very close to the ship before returning.

Not a city by any means,just a great, friendly town.

Hi Gary\Carla...I have seen your posts many times. Seamo and Foreverlabs I finally found our Roll Call and it looks like a good one. Glad we finally have one going. And I agree that there will be some one Local doing a Tour. If anyone knows of one let us know.:):):)

Archived