Jewel and the Port of Astoria, Oregon

Redheel Girl

What can you tell me about the Town of Astoria, Oregon. Is the town near the Port so you could just walk to town? Would you recommend a tour or just sight seeing on your own.:rolleyes:

There is one poster on here who lives there so they can hopefully clarify. This post might get moved though to the ports area. We were there in Sept. 2009 and had a great time. The weather was great and the people from the town meet you at the port and are really friendly.

We ended up renting a car and drove south to see a few seaside cities. On the way back we stopped at Fort Clatsop and then to the Astoria Column and then around town including the grocery store to get some soda.

The normal port is probably walking distance I'd say. They may of even had some shuttles but I don't remember exactly. The day we were there it was three ships so the other NCL ship had to tender and they came in somewhere by the downtown.

Depending on when you are going, you may or may not even get into Port.

We did the Pacific Northwest on the Star in Sept 2011. We had rain in Vancouver and rain in Nanaimo. After leaving Nanaimo, the Captain came on the PA and said he was racing toward Victoria as it was going to get windy and rough and he want to get to the berth before that happened. It was terribly windy & rainy in Victoria, so much so they closed the ship and wouldn't let people off, as the wind was blowing large pieces of roofing etc. Hit some folks and broke one ladies arm.

We had gotten off early as we had a rental car, but were nearly blown over when we returned to the ship. We departed Victoria, and again the Captain came on the PA and announced that the Port of Astoria was closed due to storm/high winds. We would continue sailing to San Francisco. I was terribly disappointed, as it was my birthday and we had planned to do tea in Astoria. The seas were indeed rough. We had broken glasses, bottles flying across the cabin. We stayed in bed until morning, then found our cabin attendant to start cleaning up the mess.

Just be prepared, for the seas to be rough. We had gone Northbound in 2004 and there was stormy weather. 2011 Southbound was worse.

Our CC Meet & Greet was great, as was the cabin crawl, poker draw, slot pull and dinner with the Captain. These activities saved the cruise.

What can you tell me about the Town of Astoria, Oregon. Is the town near the Port so you could just walk to town? Would you recommend a tour or just sight seeing on your own.:rolleyes:

In 2011, neither The Pearl or The Star were able to cross the Columbia River Bar either on their northbound or southbound cruises. The Columbia River Bar is one of the most dangerous stretches of water in the world. Historically it is known as "The Graveyard of the Pacific.

Astoria is a very old historic community. Captain Robert Gray discovered the mouth of the Columbia River in 1792. Merriweather Lewis and William Clark built a fort Clatsop and wintered there in 1805. There is lots to see and do. One of my favorite places is the Astoria Maritime Museum. You can walk from the port area east toward the main business district. The last time I was on the Pearl in Astoria, they had school buses to use as shuttles.

I want to thank all of you for your answers. This is the third Repo that I have done. One on the Pearl 9\07 and the Star April 09 and was fortunate to have great weather both times. ...agabby mama where were you going to have tea? Traveler that is interesting History. My DH will love that information because he read the book on Lewis and Clark.:):):)

Has your husband read "Undaunted Courage" by Stephen E. Ambrose? It is the best book that I can recommend. The copy I have is a large paperback, 484 pages in length.

First 2011 was a weird year for weather - esp here in the PNW. It is very rare that the Columbia River Bar is completely closed to all ship traffic - yet it happened twice last year.

There are lots of things to do in Astoria - lots of Lewis and Clark history. You are sorta close to Mt St Helens - they used to offer flightseeing tours.The maritime museum is also high on the list of things to visit.

The cruise ship docks are on the West end of town - there is a trolly that runs up and down the waterfront - which is where some of the stores in town are located. The main section of town is a few blocks away and has an ecletic mix of stores.

With any luck, the weather will be in your favor this year.

In 2011, neither The Pearl or The Star were able to cross the Columbia River Bar either on their northbound or southbound cruises. The Columbia River Bar is one of the most dangerous stretches of water in the world. Historically it is known as "The Graveyard of the Pacific.

We were on the Pearl in May 2011 and were able to cross the Bar no problem, so we had our day in Astoria.We're from Portland, so it was just like being home, but we enjoyed walking around and visited the Maritime Museum. Happily, we had a break in the showers for the afternoon - way to cooperate, Oregon weather! Can't say the same for Victoria or Nanaimo. ;)

The biggest thrill was watching the Bar pilot get picked up by Coast Guard helicopter as we were leaving. Amazing experience!

Astoria is an old historic town, you can waste away the day just by weaving up and down the side and main streets, tour an old theater that has paper chandeliars. Go see one of the first J.C. Penny stores fixtures and I swear staff. There are lots of boutique type stores with great mdse from antiques to asian furniture, great bakery on the main drag with the old glass wood display cases. There is also a couple great little cafes.

If your a photo buff there are some great shots to take around the pier of old

wooden dock posts etc.

We absolutely had a blast in this town just walking. We were there in Sept 2010 couldn't have asked for better weather that day.

There is also no sales tax.

We stopped in Astoria last year in May. It was cold and rainy. You can walk about a quarter mile to the trolley stop, but we waited at least a half hour for the trolley and when we called they said when the ship comes in it runs more lowly than usual. Many people walked the mile into downtown, but to get around there old be more walking and ten walking back. That was more than I wanted to do. So we walked back to the shuttle buses by the ship that are fairly inexpensive, run often in a loop around the town and back to the ship. So glad we decided to take the shuttle!

Great information. I will definately take the Shuttle. Now DH wants me to find out how far the Fort is from Astoria. Does any one know how far it is? DH definately has a huge interest in Lewis and Clarks trip across America. I love to find out as much information about Cruise before I go so I can make the best decisions.:p:p:p:p

Great information. I will definately take the Shuttle. Now DH wants me to find out how far the Fort is from Astoria. Does any one know how far it is? DH definately has a huge interest in Lewis and Clarks trip across America. I love to find out as much information about Cruise before I go so I can make the best decisions.:p:p:p:p

My AAA Tour Book says that Fort Clatsop is 5 miles south of Astoria. There will probably be shuttle buses going out there. Check your Shore Excursions, there may be an excursion out there. It is worth the trip out there.

I want to thank all of you for your answers. This is the third Repo that I have done. One on the Pearl 9\07 and the Star April 09 and was fortunate to have great weather both times. ...agabby mama where were you going to have tea? Traveler that is interesting History. My DH will love that information because he read the book on Lewis and Clark.:):):)

The tea was offered through NCL at the Flavel House Museum. You can't do it independently, it has to be offered through the cruiseline.

My friend and I like to do teas, so when I saw that, we booked as my birthday gift from her. Then when it got cancelled, she worried what she was going to give me. But we settled for a winery tour once we reached San Francisco.

Also, Eleanor saved the cruise!

Thanks for the compliment valleyvillage! I was only one of many that worked so hard for our CC activities.

But the Meet & Greet did go over exceptionally well (with around 50 participants). I've been on 7 cruises, and that was the best attended M&G, and all the other activities too.

I am from Astoria, the Ship does dock "close" enough on a nice day to walk into town. You will be welcomed into town by many local crafters that have booths set up at the Pier. Fort Clatsop is about 5 miles from the Port. Seaside, a beachfront town with boardwalk, acquarium, 20 miles, Cannon Beach an "artsy" town on the beachfront 30 miles. Mt. St. Helens is a good 2 hours each way. The town really goes all out for cruise ship passengers. We have just finished re negotiating bus service that will be available once again (that is a little local issue that had to be figured out). Last year the Columbia Bar did close down and a couple Cruise Ships did not make it in, this was an early start of our "windstorm weather", I think that is the first time for Cruise Ships coming to Astoria that this has happened.

Will try to answer any questions, we are a very old historic city if you are lucky and get here when the sun is shining, you will be overwhelmed!

There are taxis for hire also.

There are designated Cruise Shuttle bus stops throughout town, I think maybe you buy a pass for them but not sure.

I looked tonight and found several-

Ultimate Oregon Coast - travels hy101 to Tillamook and back

Seafood and Wine Cooking Classes

Historic Astoria and Ft Clatsop - visit the Maritime Museum, Astoria Column and Ft Clatsop

Flaval House Tea and Scones- english tea and scones at the historic Flaval House

Seaside and Cannon Beach - visit these two towns

Astoria Ale Trail - visit four local brewerys

NW Pacific..thank you for your information. Is there a Shuttle to Fort Clatsop?

Bon Voyagie..where did you find those tours. When I looked on NCL's tours for the Jewel there were only two.

You Guys are great. This all helps.:):):)

Hi Redheel Girl.. We did this cruise in 2010 and just walked off the ship and toured around on our own. We took a tour through the theater in town and walked over to Fort Astoria. We also hiked up the long hill to Astoria Column and it started raining. When we got to the top, another cruise couple had rented a car and gave us a ride back into town. There is the riverfront trolley that goes up and down by the river. We had really good salmon burgers at the Silver Salmon Grill for lunch.

We walked to town and then took a tour to the observation area with a few other stops on the way.Although the weather sucked the little town is charming and I highly reccommend you see as much of it as you can.

I did not look at ship specific tours - I simply looked at all the excursions for the Pacific Coastal trip. However since both the Pearl and Jewel stop in Astoria within a few days of each other. I presumed the tours would be offered on both. BTW the one I did look at showed it for both the Jewel and Pearl.

Archived