GTY cabin changed by Princess after assignment?

baz48

We booked a GTY obstructed OV (HH) for an April cruise. We were assigned a cabin back in December, I think. For an obstructed, it's pretty good (E) because it does actually have a view. But I'm wondering if there's a possibility that Princess could change that assignment (e.g. upgrade to OV) since it was done so early? Or do they only make one assignment? Any experience with this?

As Paul says, it could happen. So if you like your cabin and don't want to risk being bumped up to something less desirable (say an EE in the very bows of the ship), then you can have Princess (or via your TA, if that's how you booked) mark your res "do not upgrade."

Last May we booked an inside guarantee cabin in the lowest class and were assigned a cabin in one of the highest interior classes a few days after booking for a July 29 sailing. A few weeks before departure we were upgraded to a category E partially obstructed view cabin. So....it definitely happens!

Last May we booked an inside guarantee cabin in the lowest class and were assigned a cabin in one of the highest interior classes a few days after booking for a July 29 sailing. A few weeks before departure we were upgraded to a category E partially obstructed view cabin. So....it definitely happens!

Thanks, that's just the scenario I was wondering about. In the past we weren't assigned our cabin until a few weeks before departure so I was surprised to see the assignment so early. If we get another assignment that is an upgrade - yippee. If not, we're fine with our current cabin.

Most certainly...this just happened to me yesterday.

i am going on the Crown in March and booked a category M guarantee. The lowest category of guarantee. When I received my cabin assignment about a month ago, I found that I received a one category upgrade to a Plaza deck cabin. To be honest I was a little apprehensive about the whole thing...being so low in the ship given the Costa Concordia incident. But a guarantee is a guarantee, so it was no big deal.

Yesterday I had been re-assigned to a category II on the Lido Deck. This was an eight category upgrade from the original M that I had booked.

Cheers!

It certainly happened to us back in the summer. Booked in May 2011 for Ruby Princess on Med cruise in August with a G Obstructed View cabin. Two weeks later was assigned an FF obstructed view cabin and then 2 weeks before we travelled were given a BB Balcony cabin on Riviera Deck. It certainly made our holiday with views of Venice and Istanbul now possible!!!

KathyW

A "guarantee" is just that, a guarantee anywhere on the ship. You won't get less than what you paid for. It can change right up until sailing. You can not make a request not to take an upgrade once a cabin is assigned...that is false info, or you will have to pay that going rate to lock it in.

Hope this clears it up.

A "guarantee" is just that, a guarantee anywhere on the ship. You won't get less than what you paid for. It can change right up until sailing. You can not make a request not to take an upgrade once a cabin is assigned...that is false info, or you will have to pay that going rate to lock it in.

Hope this clears it up.

sorry. so not true! I have book gyt several times and have declined the assignment (politely) and asked what else might be available. They have always offered an alternative. Works for me.

Hope this clears it up.

When I received a guarantee cabin I did not like I was able to change to any available cabin in that catagory.

We booked an EE gty back in Nov and received our room assignment in Jan. No upgrade and received cabin P201. Probably the worst cabin in that catagory. Well can't complain we are the ones that booked the gty. Still hoping maybe the upgrade fairy will come along and change us.

Hope this clears it up. Hardly!

That is absolutely not true. Once you are assigned, you may put a do not upgrade on the res; you will not be charged anything to do so.

i am going on the Crown in March and booked a category M guarantee. The lowest category of guarantee. When I received my cabin assignment about a month ago, I found that I received a one category upgrade to a Plaza deck cabin. To be honest I was a little apprehensive about the whole thing...being so low in the ship given the Costa Concordia incident. But a guarantee is a guarantee, so it was no big deal.

Your original reservation, M category, is also on the Plaza deck. So your first upgrade would have been just one to three cabins away from an M cabin.

Archived