Last minute cruise

Hibiscus13

Hi all -

We've just booked a last minute cruise for next week with HAL. We've never sailed with this line before and I am unfamiliar with the dress code, drink options (packages) or the ship itself.

I haven't had a minute to search the board but I thought I'd ask a few quick questions.

1. Are there drink packages available? If so can we purchase them before we embark?

2. I've read that people can bring their own wine or pop on board - is there a limit to the amount allowed? Is it only wine and pop or are spirits (Bailey's) also allowed?

3. Dress code - always a sticky one I know. We've been travelling extensively this winter, starting with a (resort casual) cruise in the South Pacific in November. I've since sent most of my 'cruise clothes' home opting for a more casual, practical look for Australia, Mexico, etc. I don't have any formal wear here. Will I need to pick up a fancier dress somewhere along the way to fit in with the crowd, or will resort casual work? Hubs has only jeans here, having sent his cruise clothes home as well.

Thanks for any help and suggestions!

1. You can buy an "all drinks" beverage card in three denominations: $250 face value sells for $225, $100 worth for $95, or $50 for $50 (no savings). These and wine packages can be pre-purchased on the HAL site. Login, go to My Account, Purchase Indulgences.

2. No beer or any form of hard liquor (Bailey's), but all other beverages are allowed in unlimited quantities.

Hi all -

We've just booked a last minute cruise for next week with HAL. We've never sailed with this line before and I am unfamiliar with the dress code, drink options (packages) or the ship itself.

I haven't had a minute to search the board but I thought I'd ask a few quick questions.

1. Are there drink packages available? If so can we purchase them before we embark?

2. I've read that people can bring their own wine or pop on board - is there a limit to the amount allowed? Is it only wine and pop or are spirits (Bailey's) also allowed?

3. Dress code - always a sticky one I know. We've been travelling extensively this winter, starting with a (resort casual) cruise in the South Pacific in November. I've since sent most of my 'cruise clothes' home opting for a more casual, practical look for Australia, Mexico, etc. I don't have any formal wear here. Will I need to pick up a fancier dress somewhere along the way to fit in with the crowd, or will resort casual work? Hubs has only jeans here, having sent his cruise clothes home as well.

Thanks for any help and suggestions!

You do not mention which ship, but here are all of them along with photos of all of the,. Just click on the Ship Name or Photo and it will take you to the index page listing for each ship. Each ship has an Index Page, /index.html also has by stateroom decks, listed as Deck 1 /Deck-1.html (just one example), Handicapped Staterooms, Page 3 index-3.html and Photos of various parts of the ships, i.e., Bars, Restaurants... listed as Page 2 /index-2.html http://joanjett2000.topcities.com/HAL/

Hope these help

Joanie

Jeans likely are not accepted in the dining room.....and if they are accepted, they are frowned upon. They would not usually be acceptable in the specialty restaurants on board either. These tend to be a bit dessy.

Jeans in the Lido buffet restaurant are fine.

Other than that, you can likely get by comfortably with what you already have with you.

My opinion only.

What ship are you sailing? Hope you have a great time. HAL is a special place. Welcome aboard.

Hubs has only jeans here, having sent his cruise clothes home as well.
He'll need at least a jacket, dress shirt, and tie to eat in the MDR or Pinnacle Grill on a formal night. Nice jeans will pass, even on formal nights, if he doesn't have some slacks.

We were on the 14 nt. Rotterdam over the holidays. DH rented a tux on board... very simple and very cost effective, especially for 4 formal nights. It was there waiting for him when we arrived. There was a button missing, but quickly taken care of by the onboard tailor. The cost was the same for 14 nts. as listed for the 7 nt. (I'm glad he rented one as the majority of men wore tuxes each formal night and mostly suits on the smart casual nights. My husband took 2 suits with him as well.)

I see they also rent women's clothing, but I do not know the quality.

http://www.cruiselineformal.com/cf_pages/

Thanks for the warm welcome and the great advice. We do have a full day in Ft. Lauderdale before we embark - and we'll do our best to find an outfit for hubs.

Formal nights are not a must for us, but we certainly don't want to look sloppy in the other venues either. And besides, hubs will never wear a tux or a suit, and I'm just fine with that :)

Joanie - we'll leave her better than we found her!

For ladies on formal night it is more nubulous than for the gents. Gents are asked to wear tux, dark suit or jacket and tie - and most of us assume they'll wear pants too! Jeans are not listed as the exception to the rules ofr smart casul but very few men will wear them to the main dining room. They used to be not allowed. My Dh wears his non jeans pants (slacks but khakis or chinos work fine).

For ladies, a sparkly top or a shawl over a shell will do wonders to a pair of black slacks or a skirt. A shawl is good to have handy on other nights in case a lounge is cool.

Have a fabulous impromtu cruise vacation. m--

I've checked us in online successfully! I can now see the wine packages, indulgences, etc. Can anyone tell me if we can purchase the wine packages once we are onboard, or do they need to be purchased in advance?

Easily purchased once onboard. A Wine Steward is usually posted around the Lido Pool on embarkation day just for that.

Dan

Archived