port of naples or salerno

lorrdean

we are going on serenade of the seas in June, I have one question about Naples(Salerno)stop, do we dock at Naples so we can visit Salerno, or do we dock at Salerno so we can visit Naples? trying to organise a private excursion for my group, and want to make sure I get the correct port.

many thanks

Although it seems odd to me that they would put it this way, it appears that your port is Naples.

Each of the other stops lists the port first, followed by the "attraction" in parentheses. Why they would think that Salerno was the main attraction of a Naples port stop is beyond me, however.

I think if it were me I'd call and point this out to them and ask them to verify the exact stop. Another option would be to post your question on the RCI board.

From the RCI web site (http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/search/vacationSearchResult.do?cruiseType=CO&includeAdjascentPorts=Y&actionType=&eventSource=date&dest=EUROP&date=201205&port=&ship=SR&experience=&submit=Find+Cruises&state=NA):

Ports of Call:

Barcelona, Spain; Split, Croatia; Venice, Italy; Ravenna, Italy; Naples (Salerno), Italy; Civitavecchia (Rome), Italy; La Spezia (Florence/Pisa), Italy; Monte Carlo, Monaco; Barcelona, Spain

• Ports of Call:

Barcelona, Spain; Cannes (Monte Carlo), France; Livorno (Florence/Pisa), Italy; Civitavecchia (Rome), Italy; Piraeus (Athens), Greece; Kusadasi (Ephesus), Turkey; Santorini, Greece; Naples (Salerno), Italy; Barcelona, Spain

Not sure why they would say Naples (Salerno) since those two cities are quite far apart. If you are docking in Naples it is doubtful anyone would trek all the way to Salerno and its hard to imagine why they would even want to go to Salerno. If you do dock at Naples you might want to consider Pompeii, Herculanium, Capri, or even the Amalfi Coast (only as far as Amalfi).

If you tender at Salerno (some ships do this port) then its a pretty decent gateway port to explore the Amalfi Coast as far as Positano. Another option from Salerno, for those that love ruins, is to go all the way to Paestum.

Hank

Not sure why they would say Naples (Salerno) since those two cities are quite far apart. If you are docking in Naples it is doubtful anyone would trek all the way to Salerno and its hard to imagine why they would even want to go to Salerno. If you do dock at Naples you might want to consider Pompeii, Herculanium, Capri, or even the Amalfi Coast (only as far as Amalfi).

If you tender at Salerno (some ships do this port) then its a pretty decent gateway port to explore the Amalfi Coast as far as Positano. Another option from Salerno, for those that love ruins, is to go all the way to Paestum.

Hank

Hank if we were to be in Salerno, we would be TENDERED is that correct? our itinerary says we will be DOCKED, so does that mean we will be in Naples?

Sandra

Hi Sandra,

My family and I are also cruising on Serenade of the Seas this summer. I can confirm the ship will dock in Salerno not Naples. It is confusing being listed as Naples (Salerno). If you go to the RC website, find your cruise and itinerary then click on the Naples (Salerno) link. This will take you to a page that tells you about Salerno.

Enjoy your trip!

Mike

Hank if we were to be in Salerno, we would be TENDERED is that correct? our itinerary says we will be DOCKED, so does that mean we will be in Naples?

Sandra

You are correct that Salerno is a tender port and Naples has plenty of docking facilities. But the logic escapes me as to why they have that (Salerno) reference if they are going to Naples. On the other hand, there are plenty of things done by cruise lines that leave me shaking my head. :)

You are correct that Salerno is a tender port and Naples has plenty of docking facilities. But the logic escapes me as to why they have that (Salerno) reference if they are going to Naples. On the other hand, there are plenty of things done by cruise lines that leave me shaking my head. :)

mgqmaciel has confirmed in the post before yours that Serenade of the Seas on her cruise will be docking at Salerno, so it probably will on the OP's cruise as well. I would imagine that the reason cruise lines call it Naples (Salerno) is because few people will have heard of Salerno, whereas if they mention Naples people will understand that they are in the vicinity of Pompeii etc (although less conveniently than if they had actually docked at Naples itself).

Incidentally, although it's probably not relevant to the OP since they'll likely be in Salerno, I would take issue with your statement that Naples has plenty of docking facilities. I have on one occasion, on a Princess ship, had the experience of docking at Naples in the morning, but having to tender back in the afternoon as there were so many cruise ships that day they had to move out into the bay after the passengers had disembarked.

I hate to disagree because Hiltner is a wealth of information, on whom I relied heavily when planning. We did the RC itinerary on Brilliance last September. I can tell you that we did NOT tender in Salerno, we deffinitely docked. (I checked back to photos to be sure.) If you book private tours be sure to tell them you are originating from Salerno, not Naples. We had a major issue with Simply Amalfi tours because they did not adjust our tour in relation to our port. The day turned out to be a major disappointment.

thanks everyone for your replies.

we have booked a private tour with joe banana, and have told him that we believe we will be in Salerno, he in return informed us that he always check the day before to take into account any port changes, that may occur.

I hate to disagree because Hiltner is a wealth of information, on whom I relied heavily when planning. We did the RC itinerary on Brilliance last September. I can tell you that we did NOT tender in Salerno, we deffinitely docked. (I checked back to photos to be sure.) If you book private tours be sure to tell them you are originating from Salerno, not Naples. We had a major issue with Simply Amalfi tours because they did not adjust our tour in relation to our port. The day turned out to be a major disappointment.

I also hate to disagree with Hank, but last summer on the Brilliance we DOCKED at the new cruise pier in Salerno.

Archived