Oceania vs. Azamara - South America

coldweather

Hi: I am looking for some advice from this community.

My husband and I (in our 40s) have been on 8 cruises to the Caribbean on larger, more popular ships. We have enjoyed all of the experiences.

We are looking to explore South America in January/February 2013 and are looking at options on Azamara Quest or Oceania Regatta.

Can you tell me what points to consider in either option? We traditionally book inside cabins and plan to do that on either of these cruise options.

What points should we consider in making the choice?

I thank you in advance for your advice.

I haven't been on Azamara yet but from what I have read you should go by the itinerary.

The ships are basically the same. The Azamara ships were the last two built by Renaissance and didn't have the penthouse suites on Deck 8, but when Azamara started up the ships were configured to add suites (although not the entire deck). Since you normally take inside cabins, that shouldn't matter to you!

But both lines apparently have excellent food, service, etc. (I can vouch for Oceania's excellence in these areas, but from what I've read Azamara is also excellent.) Azamara includes wine with dinner if that is important to you. While Oceania is now providing bottled water and sodas free of charge, they haven't graduated to free wine yet. There is a $20 corkage fee on Oceania if you bring your own wine to dinner.

I doubt you'd go wrong with either line.

Mura

First they are both the same ships so it boiled down to atmosphere and who ran the zoo so to speak. Regatta is owned by the same folks who own Lux Regent and they rotate staff between the 2 lines I was told.

Regatta was recently named as in the top 3 med ships next to Regent.

So overall I think that Oceaina will be a better product, all open seat dining, and a no kids atmosphere. All casual too.

Thats why I as a past Regent customer I choose to go with a Regent family product. Thats me.

Both ships will be good, dont get me wrong. It is from past experiences that I draw on that steered me. I trust what I learned in the past.:cool:

Having sailed on both lines (and leaning slightly towards Oceanai) I feel that there is not much difference between the two lines. IMO, Oceania has better food and slightly better maintained ships, Azamara has friendlier staff and crew and free wine with meals.

That said, as subjective as it is, I think you should pick based on itinerary. Many cruise lines do the standard BA to Santiago cruises. The Regatta is doing a very special Lima to Rio cruise in January 2013 that includes many unusual stops in Peru, Chile and Brazil. BTW, we are booked on that cruise :)

Having sailed on both lines (and leaning slightly towards Oceanai) I feel that there is not much difference between the two lines. IMO, Oceania has better food and slightly better maintained ships, Azamara has friendlier staff and crew and free wine with meals.

That said, as subjective as it is, I think you should pick based on itinerary. Many cruise lines do the standard BA to Santiago cruises. The Regatta is doing a very special Lima to Rio cruise in January 2013 that includes many unusual stops in Peru, Chile and Brazil. BTW, we are booked on that cruise :)

Wow, Paul, 30 days around the Horne, that is staggeringly amazing! Just the kind of cruise I'd be booking if I had that kind of time off.

I guess that I want to be you when I grow up! :rolleyes:

Wow, Paul, 30 days around the Horne, that is staggeringly amazing! Just the kind of cruise I'd be booking if I had that kind of time off.

I guess that I want to be you when I grow up! :rolleyes:

J&S - thank you (I think :D) Don't be in a great hurry though :).

If all goes well and we are still alive, we'll be on the Nautica Istanbul to Dubai and later in Dec we sail on the Marina Santiago to Papeete and fly back to Lima to catch the Regatta.

All flights in business with miles from credit card promotions and such (hard work but well worth it).

We are very fortunate indeed and we do appreciate it.

We just returned home from 24 days on Azamara on b2b Antarctica and Brazil cruises. We had been on Azamara just before they reinvented themselves. As frequent Oceania cruisers and not having a particularly good experience on our previous Azamara cruise, we were naturally apprehensive. We found Azamara to be vastly improved over our previous cruise.

I agree with Paulchili's assessment of the two lines.There is not much difference between the two lines. The captain and the cruise director (Eric de Gray) on our recent Azamara cruise were the best of any cruise we have taken. We think the service and the friendliness of the staff was slightly better on Azamara. The one area where Oceania is much better than Azamara is the speciality restaurants. the speciality restaurants were not very special and not worth the extra $25/person charge. in conclusion with the included tips and wine given equal itineraries between Azamara and Oceania, I would probably choose Azamara.

Both are excellent - the ships are really identical (we have been three times with each line). Your cabin will be the same with either. I would go with itinerary and perhaps price. Although Azamara have wine with lunch and dinner, Oceania have deals at the moment with gratuities included and some good OBC. If you don't get OBC, alcohol prices tend to be quite high on Oceania. Azamara does not add a percentage gratuity to drinks bought in the bars.

I agree with Paul..having been on both lines several times I say go with the best itinerary..

Jancruz1

J&S - thank you (I think :D) Don't be in a great hurry though :).

If all goes well and we are still alive, we'll be on the Nautica Istanbul to Dubai and later in Dec we sail on the Marina Santiago to Papeete and fly back to Lima to catch the Regatta.

All flights in business with miles from credit card promotions and such (hard work but well worth it).

We are very fortunate indeed and we do appreciate it.

What a great cruise year you two have planned! Wish we were on board with you!! LuAnn

Archived