Balcony lovers ever get an inside cabin?

H2OH!

We have been in both inside and balcony cabins. We find balcony cabins very nice, of course, but expensive and they can have drawbacks. On one cruise we paid £700 each extra (from an inside) to have a balcony - that worked out at £100 per day (approx $150) - and we only used it early morning for breakfast! It was a Caribbean cruise and we spent each day on a different island. We couldn't use it early evening as both cabins at the side of us were smokers and it makes me sneeze all the time.

On an Alaska/Far East cruise we used the balcony a lot whilst in Alaska but most of the remaining time was at sea so we rarely used it.

Now we think carefully about the cruise - how many days will we be on/off the ship?, how much will a balcony cost? - then we decide is it worth it?

I also think it does depend upon how much time you spend in a cabin - we try not to so an inside is fine.

The extra for a balcony over an inside will go quite some way towards another cruise

DH and I are in our 40's and have very stressful careers...thus we love to be pampered and have the nice cabin with balconies, premium drink package, etc. we love the upgrade but given my pcd...a cruise next month in a less expensive cabin really has me curious.

I would go ahead and give it a try! There has been a few times where the price of an oceanview or inside balcony was so attractive that I was extremely tempted. However due to DW's health, a balcony is now a must-have for us as she spends quite a bit of time in the stateroom at times. I would look at the itinerary and the ship's amenities to see if you would miss having a balcony. Life is short ... enjoy it to the fullest ;)

Our last inside cabin was on the Mercury at the rear cross corrider and it was good. Just a few steps and you were on the seldom used rear deck with just 10 - 12 lounge chairs and 1 deck up to the lido. That being said, I will not book an inside any longer as I can't imagine being quarantined to an inside room and it is always a small possibility.

We now book outside and move to balcony or cc if the cost is only two or three hundred more.

Dear fellow cruisers,

DH and I have never sailed in an oceanview or inside cabin. There are times i wonder if we would be happy in an oceanview or inside cabin. We typically do cc class, although we have upgraded to a suite now and again. even though our vacation time is limited annually, we could cruise more than two times a year if in a different cabin.

I am hoping to hear from balcony loving cruisers who have cruised in a cabin without a balcony. what did you like, not like, pro's/con's, if you did it once, would you or did you book without a balcony again...etc

yes, some pros/cons are obvious....if sailed in an inside cabin I am sure you missed the balcony...not helpful that is obvious;)

thanks! amy

bottom line:

often all are same cabin size =sq' (check)

balcony allows for fresh aire intake

OV has daylight

inside has neither, but is equally adequate in all other aspects;

conclusion:

if u have a nice, comfortable home to come from / return to, you might be able to 'handle' a week or 2 on the inside and go 2x or more as often .....

we all have choices -

needless to say, i have cruised all categories -

depending on price / value I select the best ratio ....

(considering i live in close proximity to FL /Pacific NW ports /airports and being retired ; = crucial factors in the above;

regardless i am a whole hearted advocate of inside for the right price - which is sometimes terrific ......

I've never done a balcony yet (hoping for the next cruise we will) but if it came down to cruising twice OV or crusing once Veranda, the choice would be OV. I'm not too happy with inside since I'm a little claustrophobic and like to sleep in a room with natural sunlight. I also tend to get a little disoriented about day and night without natural light but I found out day 5 into a 7 day cruise that I can avoid that feeling if I leave the TV on tuned to the camera on the bridge.

The first time we sailed we were in an inside cabin as I didn't know how I would feel on a ship. The second time, it was an ocean view and I envied the people with balconies. It was definitely better, for me, than the inside cabin. Since, we've always had balconies with the exception of a New England/Canada cruise when we had a Celebrity suite and probably would not have used the balcony because it was cool.

I think that you should try a short trip and see how you feel.

I desperately wanted a balcony room for our recent cruise but we decided to start with inside and use the money saved to pay for really great excursions. We couldn't afford to do both. I think it was a good compromise, although I still wish we could have done the balcony.

When I was struggling with the decision, I read a thread on CC that said, "Once you go balcony, you can never go back." :p So I figured we could work our way up to the balcony, maybe.

The inside room is pitch black with the lights out. None of us minded it, but I did miss having fresh air.

Inside cabin is nice because I can sleep with my eyes wide open.;)

No really we choose to cruise inside. It kind of forces us out and about. Our last Balcony was very nice and I did spend more time in the cabin/balcony but I meet some of the most interesting people while out and about.:o

any reason you wont book an oceanview?

I can't answer for stipmom, but I don't see much advantage in booking ocean view, unless it is same price as inside...window just does not do much for me - just not the same as being able to go out on the balcony.

We are mid-40s and have done all cabins as well...my husband strongly prefers balconies...he tends to spend more time in the cabin relaxing. I like to sit in the sun and read...sometimes you have sun on balcony sometimes not, so I usually end up on a high deck in a quiet chair.

If itinerary is very port intensive, not much time for balcony, so I may be more likely to do inside. Though I do enjoy watching the ship dock from the room. Like most everyone else, I have my own "formula", mostly related to cost. If the husband is with me - we usually do balconies (even on our Mediterranean cruise where it was $1,000 per person more for balcony...he insisted - and for that cruise he was right - there were a lot of days when we were sailing in the morning and the scenery from the room was so beautiful!!). I am sailing with my daughter in a couple of weeks and the price was so good - we are just happy to be on the ship!!

Basically, you just have to weigh how important the balcony is to your overall enjoyment of your cruise...I don't think you will find an inside cabin terrible. But, that's just me!!

This is an easy one for me to answer.

The reason is this....my DH wouldn't even consider going on a vacation w/out a balcony. While this sounds utterly ridiculous to many, it is my reality. I have tried to get him to go on a cruise without one, but he just won't budge on this issue.

After nearly 20 years of cruising, I have come to understand, that for him, this is a HUGE part of his cruising experience. I am much more social than he is and I am "free to roam around the cabin (ship)." That's partly why a cruise works so well for us.

We always go on two, 2 week vacations a year. This year, it just so happens to be 2 TA cruises, an AC cabin on the Solstice in May, and an OS on the

Adventure of the Seas in October 2012. Last year it was 21 days in Vienna/Paris and Carnivale in Rio de Janeiro followed by a 16 day cruise back to the US.

We have a monthly payment put directly into our travel fund, just like a Santa Savings account. We have never, ever, went on a vacation w/out having it paid in full before we leave so we don't ever have to pay for a vacation after-the-fact. But I know that no one charges vacations like they used to....which is a good thing.

I suppose we could travel more if DH would take an inside or ocean view cabin, but it's just not going to happen and it is a small sacrifice to make. :-)

Little did I know 20 years ago that I married the best travel partner a woman could ever ask for....so if his one request is to have a large balcony where he can sit back and watch the ocean, I'm all in.

Happy cruising....

:-)

We usually sail in an inside cabin gty because of the price. I have always found the cabins to be better than fine to suit our needs. If the prices go down closer to sailing we sometimes upgrade but it is all about the price. I have found that I don't spend any more time in my cabin if I have a balcony. We are able to take 2 or 3 cruises a year. We love the mystery of waking up in our cave with no idea what time it is!

I've only cruised 4 times, first 2 were in balcony cabins, third was in an oceanview, and 4th was in an inside. Our next cruise is an inside and the one after that a balcony. So I don't believe the "once you go balcony, you never go back" phrase. I love a balcony and the open space is very useful to dry out our dive gear. But we have managed pretty well in an inside as well.

Too dark? We used a night light or turn the TV on, sound off or low and face it away from the bed.

I love this one, it's a removable flashlight too

EcoLite_s.jpg

Sleep late? We always use an alarm clock anyway whether we're in a balcony cabin or not, as we mostly need to be somewhere at a certain time for excursions. So to us, sleeping late is as much of a concern in a balcony as in an inside.

View of the ocean? Fortunately on the ship we have sailed on where we had an inside, we were able to find a quiet place with loungers and a view of the ocean. Otherwise, we just stay in bed and read. Fine with us.

To answer OP's question, yes I would definitely book an inside again. We had fun either way. So when do I book an inside? When budget doesn't allow me to upgrade. In the end when I get home, I would be happier knowing I didn't go overbudget.

My formula...

Yearly vacation fund / # of vacation days planned = $571 / vacation day.

April 7-day cruise budget ~ $4000.

On cruises, our port day budget = $300.

Our sea day budget = $100.

April cruise = 5 port days, 1 sea day = $1600.

Airfare = $850.

Miscellaneous = $250.

Remaining for cruisefare = $1300 = inside cabin.

We have gone overbudget before and as soon as we got home and I looked at my spreadsheet, I was disappointed and regretful. When I stayed on budget (even tho I didn't have a balcony), when I got home, I was happy and I didn't have to take money from the budget allotted to other aspects of my life.

We have had everything from a Regent Penthouse for 36 days with a butler to me actualy staying in the engine room, actualy the fire room .

That said we see very little difference in "pampering" whether you are in the bilge or the bridge. Crossing the Pacific, there were maybe 4 days out of 36 where a veranda was really worth having.

For the most part we like the insides because of their lager size, quiet and they are way more comfortable in rolling seas. In arctic and northeren climes where you have 18 hous of daylight outsides are a pain.

Too, having an inside cabin gets you out of your cabin at scanic times. Seeing Glacier Bay from a veranda is a sad substitute for being on deck.. you miss so much.

Having an inside on a lower deck is an advantage when tendering or docking.. its so much easier to come back home.

Finaly there is the price, I have found that as you go up in cabins it is the law of diminishing returns. That is, what you spend for a better cabin is way more than what it would cost you buy all the extras that come with it. It dosent add up.

There is an exception however, on a luxury line that dosent totaly apply. Thus, if you want to splurge on a regular line like Holland or Celeb., you would be far better off in the long run to go with the luxury line in the first place as you get far more value in return.( true all inclusive from liquor, air,tips,restauraunts and shore and hotels)

In some cases it is less expensive to take a Lux line ( Regent, Seabourn,Crystal, Silversea) than the one your on!!!

A cruise line exec once confided to me that the real profits for the company come at the expense of passnegers getting "hyped", ( his words) to buy higher and higher class cabins.That the best value cabins were really the basic and insides. Savvy cruisers book these out first not so much because of the cost but because of location location location and the free cash it leaves you with to do all sorts of extras with.

In a recent cruise we were on the line gave us an upgrade to a balcony cabin for no charge. Maybe to get us hooked. After 2 days we asked to be moved back to our inside.

So take the inside and rejoyce and some day, with all the $avings either take more cruises or get your balcony on a luxury ship ( all cabins are balcony on them no inside) .

I won't do an oceanview anymore because I don't think its worth the extra money over an inside. When we started cruising we started in an oceanview. That was on the Zenith and Galaxy. I had not yet tried an inside and did not do a balcony because there was only one deck worth of balconies and that made them very expensive.Oceanviews on those ships were in fairly good locations. Now, on the newer built ships oceanviews are either on the lower decks or at the front of the ship-locations that I don't want.

I took my first inside on a trip down the coast of France in April of 2007 because I wanted to try it and because I felt the weather would be to cool to get much use out of the balcony. Read cruise critic for tips on how to handle the darkness of an inside cabin and found we didn't mind it

I originally was set to do an inside cabin on a British Isles trip this June. I cancelled that trip to do a Med one in May. On that, I choose a balcony because the weather will be warmer and the balcony will get more use. We have no problem going back and forth between categories especially on a Celebrity ship. Their insides are usually bigger than on some other lines and the room is the same size as the inside of std. balcony cabins

There have been some people who did not even know they were claustrophobic until they were locked in an inside cabin for the first time.

It can be a miserable experience if it happens on a ship that is full so that you can't even change to a different cabin.

Most cruise passengers would not sleep in an enclosed interior windowless room at home, so if considering one for the first time, it could be a good idea to do a trial run by spending some time inside a walk-in closet with the door closed to see whether or not it gives you an uneasy feeling.

Another consideration is how well one would cope in the event of noro virus illness or other situation that would necessitate being confined there without any fresh air or outside light for several days.

There are those who would be okay with it, but it certainly is not for everyone. Just something to consider.

Is it me or are we all married to the same man?!!!

Sound like most of the men out there are sticklers for balconies. I get it, I like the idea of sitting in privacy, looking at the waves, watching the sights, away from the masses. However, a cruise is a cruise and if I could do 2 a year for the price of one I'd do it...

After many many years of asking, I went ahead and booked our first family cruise for this May. I'm hoping that Large corner aft FV will change my husbands' mindset about cruising... however I already know that he will never agree to an inside. I guess I'll save that for when I cruise with my daughter or with friends on a girls vacation :-)

This is an easy one for me to answer.

The reason is this....my DH wouldn't even consider going on a vacation w/out a balcony. While this sounds utterly ridiculous to many, it is my reality. I have tried to get him to go on a cruise without one, but he just won't budge on this issue.

After nearly 20 years of cruising, I have come to understand, that for him, this is a HUGE part of his cruising experience. I am much more social than he is and I am "free to roam around the cabin (ship)." That's partly why a cruise works so well for us.

We always go on two, 2 week vacations a year. This year, it just so happens to be 2 TA cruises, an AC cabin on the Solstice in May, and an OS on the Adventure of the Seas in October 2012. Last year it was 21 days in Vienna/Paris and Carnivale in Rio de Janeiro followed by a 16 day cruise back to the US.

We have a monthly payment put directly into our travel fund, just like a Santa Savings account. We have never, ever, went on a vacation w/out having it paid in full before we leave so we don't ever have to pay for a vacation after-the-fact. But I know that no one charges vacations like they used to....which is a good thing.

I suppose we could travel more if DH would take an inside or ocean view cabin, but it's just not going to happen and it is a small sacrifice to make. :-)

Little did I know 20 years ago that I married the best travel partner a woman could ever ask for....so if his one request is to have a large balcony where he can sit back and watch the ocean, I'm all in.

Happy cruising....

:-)

I have not and do not plan on taking an inside on a 7 night or longer cruise. Not a snob, it is just the balcony is a large part of my cruise experience. Think of what a hotel costs if you request Ocean Front view. A balcony is a great deal especially if you care not picky.

I usually do take an inside on the short 4 night weekend cruises we take with Carnival, but most of those ships don't even have balconies or if they do, they only have a few.

It does force me to get out and about more. I always comment that I do more on our weekend cruises than I do on our week long cruises and that is because I need to get out of the cabin.

As others have mentioned, sleep is great. Have no idea what time it is so you sleep until your body says get up.

Go for it, it is just not for me. I'd rather take less cruises then cruise inside. But that's just me.

enjoy,

Duane

We've done all three and while a balcony is certainly nice, we tend to choose port-intensive cruises and not spend much time in our room. It makes more financial sense for us to get an inside or oceanview. We actually started with balcony cabins when we were younger and more foolish with credit cards! We have toned it down and usually skip the balcony now. We have just as much fun, no question.

Right now we have a 4 year old so we have decided square footage at the lowest possible price is the value for us. Last summer, we took a 9 day Canada cruise in a Princess inside, the smallest cabin I think we've ever had! The first 3-4 days, our son was SO charmed by his bunk bed that he never wanted to leave the room. We took turns staying with him and taking time on our own but we were stir crazy (fortunately, he started going to the kids' club mid-cruise and we were saved!). It wasn't the inside-ness so much as the size, I think. We are currently booked for Summit, which has some strangely huge oceanview rooms facing forward. We are excited to have extra space this time, and a window.

As far as the inside stateroom dark thing, we left the TV on to the ship's forward-facing camera all night (muted). As the sun came up outside, the TV showed it and we didn't have such a hard time waking up. We also bought battery-powered LED lights and left them under the furniture/closet area to light a path to the bathroom. All Cruise Critic tips!

I will take whatever we can afford in order to cruise! Cruising is my passion, not my husband's. He likes adventures in port so the compromise is usually to spend the money on our tours or adventures instead and that's fine with me.

We did a Concierge balcony cabin on our 4 day "babymoon" cruise when I was 6 months pregnant and I will never forget the incredible joy of the pillow menu, though!

We've done all three and while a balcony is certainly nice, we tend to choose port-intensive cruises and not spend much time in our room. It makes more financial sense for us to get an inside or oceanview. We actually started with balcony cabins when we were younger and more foolish with credit cards! We have toned it down and usually skip the balcony now. We have just as much fun, no question.

Right now we have a 4 year old so we have decided square footage at the lowest possible price is the value for us. Last summer, we took a 9 day Canada cruise in a Princess inside, the smallest cabin I think we've ever had! The first 3-4 days, our son was SO charmed by his bunk bed that he never wanted to leave the room. We took turns staying with him and taking time on our own but we were stir crazy (fortunately, he started going to the kids' club mid-cruise and we were saved!). It wasn't the inside-ness so much as the size, I think. We are currently booked for Summit, which has some strangely huge oceanview rooms facing forward. We are excited to have extra space this time, and a window.

As far as the inside stateroom dark thing, we left the TV on to the ship's forward-facing camera all night (muted). As the sun came up outside, the TV showed it and we didn't have such a hard time waking up. We also bought battery-powered LED lights and left them under the furniture/closet area to light a path to the bathroom. All Cruise Critic tips!

I will take whatever we can afford in order to cruise! Cruising is my passion, not my husband's. He likes adventures in port so the compromise is usually to spend the money on our tours or adventures instead and that's fine with me.

We did a Concierge balcony cabin on our 4 day "babymoon" cruise when I was 6 months pregnant and I will never forget the incredible joy of the pillow menu, though!

Hi,:) I have had one of those forward cabins on Summit and yes,

it is quite a bit larger than a regular window:D....you will notice the

difference immediately:D. A regular window is about 170 sq feet

and the forward windows are in the 275 sq feet range. The 3 of you

will probably LOVE that extra space!

Our first cruise was with a balcony because it was for a 10 day medeterannian cruise and no kids. It was awesome!

The second cruise 2 kids, college age, and went for 2 inside rooms. we decided to get 2 rooms instead of the balcony to save money for other things on the cruise. We were all very happy with cabins, Carnival. I did miss the balcony a little but I was on a ship and just hung out around the pool most of the day and was able to find some quiet places when needed.

Third cruise - obstructed view with Carnival. I would do that again since I had a door, window but just no seating. It was nice to see the light.

Just booked forth today and doing concierge balcony. Can't wait. this is an 11 day Hawaii - no kids.

I am happy as long as I am on a cruise, and would prefer to be on in any way. Balconies are nice but not a need to have.

Enjoy your cruise!

Karen

I REALLY need fresh air I turn OFF the AC and breathe sea air If I cannot afford a balcony I do not cruise ...I go for the Ocean I spend loads of time on my balcony during the day and at night. I stargaze at night when it is very quiet ,I watch sunrises and sunsets

I once booked a OV cabin ...AC broke down the day I was packing ...I was SHVITZING bullets ...HORRIBLE ...I had 4 big bags to pack for me and my kids Sure I called but they did not come but I had to pack ...no choice It was like a sweat shop So now I stick to balconies

A big thank you to all of you for sharing your thoughts and experiences.

I laughed when someone asked if we were married to the same man...cracked me up! :D DH does get claustrophobic so not sure an inside would work. He loves the freedom and ability to hide on the balcony to get away from the crowds. We have been lucky to date with balcony mate, all have been great except one cruise...I swear we were next to george costanza's parents (from seinfeld) they were loud and totally confused about where we were...we finally had to just let it go and enjoy the humor because it was unbelievable.

I might try a short inside cabin cruise with a friend. my mom uses a scooter so when I go with her a sky suite is the smallest cabin we will get. gives us plenty of room to park her scooter and for us to walk around etc.

Again, thank you to my fellow cruisers!

Happy Sailing! :):)

Archived