Can I make it on the plane in Rome.

luvs2cruzga

Wow, you are a risk taker!

If you are on a US airline going straight to the US, you have to go through terminal 5 at the FCO airport. Checking in for terminal 5 is a time consuming process which requires lines in multiple buildings and a shuttle bus from the first building to the next.

IMO, you should schedule a private transfer to take you from the port to the airport and try to get off the ship right away.

Debarkation will probably begin at 7:30 am or so. It will take 30 minutes or so to get off the ship, thru customs and immigration and find a cab. This assumes you are able to do self debarkation. It is then an hour or so to the airport. They recommend you get there two hours before your flight leaves. You are unlikely to make it

Princess tells you not to schedule a return trip from the cruise ending in Rome before 10:00 am. I have a 9:40 am flight. Will I have trouble making it on the flight? Is the Rome airport really bad for checking in? Any help would be appreciated.

You haven't provided enough information for us to give you anything more than a general response.

The ease or difficulty of accomplishing what you want will be impacted by a variety of factors, such as the time of year, day of the week, and whether or not your flight is on an American carrier going directly to a US city.

This last point is important because it determines which terminal your flight leaves from and the degree of security checks you will need to go through.

Princess tells you not to schedule a return trip from the cruise ending in Rome before 10:00 am. I have a 9:40 am flight. Will I have trouble making it on the flight? Is the Rome airport really bad for checking in? Any help would be appreciated.

Let me put this in a very simple way. You would need to be leaving the port in a vehicle (with your luggage) by 6am (if you get really lucky perhaps up to 6:30) to make a 9:40 flight. So, if you think you can be off the ship before 6am with all your luggage then go for it. Otherwise, you might want to look at the airline penalty for missing your flight!

Hank

Sorry, we will be leaving on Tuesday, November 20 from the port. The ship docks at 4:00am. We are American citizens flying non-stop on Delta from FCO to Atlanta. Hope this is enough information. I used FF miles and I am beginning to think it is worth the $500 additional cost to stay one more day and fly out at 9:40am the next day.

Sorry, we will be leaving on Tuesday, November 20 from the port. The ship docks at 4:00am. We are American citizens flying non-stop on Delta from FCO to Atlanta. Hope this is enough information. I used FF miles and I am beginning to think it is worth the $500 additional cost to stay one more day and fly out at 9:40am the next day.

Is that a penalty for changing your flight?

That means you need to be at Terminal 5 no later than 7:30 AM (6:30 would be better), which means leaving the port by 6:30 AM (5:45 would be better). It feels highly unlikely to me. In your favor is the fact that this is late November, so there will be fewer flights and fewer people at the airport.

There might be some hope. If your ship truly docks at 4am it will most likely be cleared by the authorities within 20 min (ships are usually cleared very fast at Civitavecchia). The biggest delay in debarkation is waiting for the luggage to be off loaded and sorted. But if you opt for the express debarkation option (offered by just about every ship these days) you should be able to get off the ship before 5 am. Keep in mind that express debarkation means you must haul all your luggage from your cabin, off the ship and through the terminal.

Hank

Archived