Lunch in the Main dining room??

styles27

I've sailed with Carnival, Princess, Royal Caribbean and Norwegian and on sea days we've always enjoyed a sit down lunch in the main dining room.

We'll be sailing on the Veendam on May 6th and I'm wondering if the main dining room will be open for lunch on sea days. I'm reading posts on the HAL FB page that HAL doesn't offer this, and that lunch is only served buffet style on the Lido deck.

Is this true? I can't find any information about it on their website.

Thank you in advance.

I've sailed with Carnival, Princess, Royal Caribbean and Norwegian and on sea days we've always enjoyed a sit down lunch in the main dining room.

We'll be sailing on the Veendam on May 6th and I'm wondering if the main dining room will be open for lunch on sea days. I'm reading posts on the HAL FB page that HAL doesn't offer this, and that lunch is only served buffet style on the Lido deck.

Is this true? I can't find any information about it on their website.

Thank you in advance.

from what i have seen the MDR is always open on sea days - it's the port days where it might be just Lido only - but things change from ship to ship.

Now and then they opt to put on some fantastic buffet on the Lido and the MDR will be closed but that's usually longer cruises .

No worries - have a great cruise :D

Kazu, they occasionally close the MDR for Mariners Lunches, and/or Collector's Cruise passengers. But that is usually only once per cruise, maybe twice on 10+ day cruises.

True - I never thought of that - but that is just one day - not all sea days and hopefully the op can take advantage of it if they care to do so:)

I actually prefer breakfast and lunch in the MDR, when I can get it. On Sea Days the MDR is usually open for lunch. Sometimes the MDR is open on Port days ... it can depend upon the port, the time of arrival at port, and other factors.

Meals in the Lido is usually quiet good, too ... but when I'm by myself I prefer sit down meals in the MDR over rushing around the Lido and hunting for a place to sit among the crowds.

Kazu, they occasionally close the MDR for Mariners Lunches, and/or Collector's Cruise passengers. But that is usually only once per cruise, maybe twice on 10+ day cruises.

I thought I read something on CC about a Collectors Cruise lunch/reception, but there were no details on that. I will be on a Collector's Cruise next year, and I'm wondering if you know more about this.

We'll be sailing on the Veendam on May 6th and I'm wondering if the main dining room will be open for lunch on sea days.

On our Veendam Bermuda cruise last Oct the MDR was open for lunch on Sun (for Mariners), Mon (sea day) and Thu and Fri while we were docked in Hamilton. We never ate lunch in the MDR so I can't tell you how it was.

I am sure this has been answered elsewhere..... but, if one partakes of MDR lunch.... is dress code still "no shorts" etc?

Thanks in Advance....

Denny (& Karen):confused::o

Lunch in the MDR is casual as is the rest of the ship during the day. I have seen shorts in the MDR at lunch time. I believe it is perfectly acceptable for breakfast and lunch. (I don't wear them as i usually find it too chilly)

Some fashion police would object, but shorts are also allowed in the PG for lunch. We were on out way to lunch in the MDR while wearing shorts, and just on a whim decided to ask if we could eat in the PG instead. They said "certainly". Once you're seated no one knows the difference anyway. :)

I am sure this has been answered elsewhere..... but, if one partakes of MDR lunch.... is dress code still "no shorts" etc?

Thanks in Advance....

Denny (& Karen):confused::o

The MDR's dress code doesn't vary from the ship's, and during the day the ship's dress code does not prohibit shorts. The only time shorts are listed by the dress code as being prohibited (i.e., "not allowed") is during the evening hours. Lunch usually takes place during the daylight hours. :D

I thought I read something on CC about a Collectors Cruise lunch/reception, but there were no details on that. I will be on a Collector's Cruise next year, and I'm wondering if you know more about this.

There is no easy or absolute answer to this because it varies not only ship to ship but cruise to cruise. We have done a number of Collector's Cruises and most did not have a 'b-to-b'ers lunch but some have. We have also had a complimentary dinner in Tamarind, a cocktail party for the Collectors' guests and on other cruises nothing.

Archived