Luggage Tags

Pettifogger

I don't mind the crafts projects, so I bought a box of 100 "shipping tags" at Staples [approx. 2x4], enough to last a lifetime. I print labels to affix to them. The labels can be color-coded to correspond to the HAL labels. With the one template, I can change colors, ship's name and sailing date. I takes about 2 minutes once it's set up. And I added the 4starMariner.gif.06f38645c417fc9538e9f5d68dfac775.gif just because I could.

I have a related question. When I print out the luggage tags for our upcoming cruise they only print out with my name on them not my wife's is this normal?
It is nothing to be concerned about in the slightest.

The only thing on the tag that matters is having the correct cabin number because that determines where the bag will be delivered.

The people who load and distribute the bags could not care less whose name is on which tag.

The name is useful only if you should change your cabin after checking in your bags. Even if your name is on the tags, you may still be asked to go to the original cabin to identify your bags before they move them to the new cabin.

Here is my tip:

1. I usually print my tags when the limo is waiting out in front of the house (because I forgot).
  2. I then pack them in the bag I least expect them to be in when I get to our hotel.
  3. I spend the morning fighting with Nancy because "I simply cannot understand why she always puts me in charge of the luggage tags!!!!".
  4. I head down to the Concierge to borrow a stapler, so I can afix them in my room… resulting in a $10/tip, because I tip foolishly when on vacation.
  5. I, like RevNeal, cut my fingers on the staples - making it impossible to have a salt-rimmed margarita without screaming like a baby all week.
  6. I forget to return the stapler, resulting in a $30 FEDEX charge when I return home.
  7. Lose my luggage anyway, because that is just always my luck.

:D (I can picture nr 5 in my mind....vividly..:D )

Here is my tip:

1. I usually print my tags when the limo is waiting out in front of the house (because I forgot).
  2. I then pack them in the bag I least expect them to be in when I get to our hotel.
  3. I spend the morning fighting with Nancy because "I simply cannot understand why she always puts me in charge of the luggage tags!!!!".
  4. I head down to the Concierge to borrow a stapler, so I can afix them in my room… resulting in a $10/tip, because I tip foolishly when on vacation.
  5. I, like RevNeal, cut my fingers on the staples - making it impossible to have a salt-rimmed margarita without screaming like a baby all week.
  6. I forget to return the stapler, resulting in a $30 FEDEX charge when I return home.

Or, you can obviously take advice from the other nice people on this thread...

This is priceless!

Here is my tip:

Or, you can obviously take advice from the other nice people on this thread...

I think you need to be the entertainment on your next cruise:D....thanks for the laugh

I have a related question. When I print out the luggage tags for our upcoming cruise they only print out with my name on them not my wife's is this normal?
As fleckle said, the first name doesn't matter, but if in the future you really want tags with different names, go to the OnLine CheckIn Summary page. There you will see a column for each person on the reservation, and at the bottom of each column a button to allow tags to be printed for that person.

You can print tags without the cabin number and just write it in later if you're leaving home before you know the cabin number, but it's better to wait if you can to get the "routing code" number/letter that indicates the deck and elevator bank (Forward or Aft)

You can print tags without the cabin number and just write it in later if you're leaving home before you know the cabin number, but it's better to wait if you can to get the "routing code" number/letter that indicates the deck and elevator bank (Forward or Aft)

Is there ANYTHING you don't know...?

A year plus ago Joanie (AKA on CC as IRL Joanie) and I got together and came up with a format for HAL luggage tags that included the "Mariner" designation. http://joanjett2000.topcities.com/HAL/HAL-Mariner-Tags/ In the "old days" when HAL used to mail out documents the luggage tags sent to previous cruisers had Mariner printed across one end. Folks missed that with the on-line tags so the project. This is in no way required or necessarily better, it's just fun and we tried to make it easy to do.

Thanks, guys! These are great! I always do them at the pier but this time I am going to do it this way. I still have my old blue doc holder- have used it on every cruise simce Noordam.

Thanks, guys! These are great! I always do them at the pier but this time I am going to do it this way. I still have my old blue doc holder- have used it on every cruise simce Noordam.

Major part of the work was Joanie coming up with all the various versions for each ship and putting them an easy to download format so the props go to her. My original version was done in Power Point and while easy for me to use it does require not only the software but at least some working knowledge with the program. I still use my original "boilerplate" in Power Point and even adapted it to make up some extra tags for our Silversea cruise even though they sent us per-printed tags.

The craft project associated with the luggage tags are one of the best pre-cruise activities. I work at a school, and everyone is always SOOOO jealous when I print my luggage tags out on coloured paper and embark on the laminating process!

The only bad tag experience I had was the result of an airline mishap. My DH and I ended up having to travel back separately because of a last minute airline change ... We checked in together (two bags each). Didn't think anything of it until I was picking up "my" bags to clear customs in Toronto ... yeah ... I ended up with one of "my" bags, and one of his. Not a problem - except that I had all the liquor - 2x my legal limit ... and of course, I'd already completed the declaration on the plane. Thankfully they didn't search my luggage - but I did almost miss my connection and looked like a fool when I had the baggage handler search for my missing bag - which was really still on the carousel.:o

• 5 months later...

No staples no tape and no laminating....For our last Princess Cruise we picked up some great luggage tag holders from cruisetags - now they are now available through Amazon - just search "cruisetags"

We should be ok for our next cruise as RCCL hasn't completely switched to printable paper tags yet... although it is coming.

A year plus ago Joanie (AKA on CC as IRL Joanie) and I got together and came up with a format for HAL luggage tags that included the "Mariner" designation. http://joanjett2000.topcities.com/HAL/HAL-Mariner-Tags/ In the "old days" when HAL used to mail out documents the luggage tags sent to previous cruisers had Mariner printed across one end. Folks missed that with the on-line tags so the project. This is in no way required or necessarily better, it's just fun and we tried to make it easy to do.

From my ID it is easy to guess that I enjoy "paper play" -- but, I guess, I'm not as good at finding stuff. That link - even copied and pasted - only gets me to "topcites" .... not a template .... a template that I'm very interested in getting!;)

Can you give me some directions (apparently I need more than the link) to the template?

From my ID it is easy to guess that I enjoy "paper play" -- but, I guess, I'm not as good at finding stuff. That link - even copied and pasted - only gets me to "topcites" .... not a template .... a template that I'm very interested in getting!;)

Can you give me some directions (apparently I need more than the link) to the template?

Apparently Joanie had to relocate the tags. You can find them at:

http://abqreunion2008.com/HAL-Mariner-Tags/

Stupid question alert:

I've printed the luggage tags, stapled them, not going to laminate them. How do I afix them to each piece of luggage? :o

I can punch a hole...but what are the"luggage ties" I think I read about?

I also like the clear tape idea.

Stupid question alert:

I've printed the luggage tags, stapled them, not going to laminate them. How do I afix them to each piece of luggage? :o

I can punch a hole...but what are the"luggage ties" I think I read about?

I also like the clear tape idea.

I use electric cable ties you can get from almost any local hardware store like Home Depot. Heck, they even come in colors. :)

PS - Don't know where to put this but a fellow CC'er contacted me through our website email address with a question. Somehow my iPad "ate" the email and I can't answer. I don't even know who asked so if whoever you are sees this just email me again.

What HAL wants you to do is loop them through the bag handle before you staple the ends together. ;)

What HAL wants you to do is loop them through the bag handle before you staple the ends together. ;)

You can't imagine what a good laugh I have had at my own expense!!!! :D:D:D

Slinking away.........still laughing at my ignorance...thank you for stating the soooooooo obvious to me!:o

Hopefully, I have made everyone's day with a good laugh:)

I make my "Mariner" luggage tags every cruise. They fit very nicely in the HAL luggage tag holders. Thank you both! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived