Luggage Tags

Pettifogger

When I searched the Express Documents for our cruise, it said, "Printable luggage tags are available at the Online Check-In start page." but I could not find them there. If anyone else has had the same problem and solved it, would they please let me know how. Thank you.

When I searched the Express Documents for our cruise, it said, "Printable luggage tags are available at the Online Check-In start page." but I could not find them there. If anyone else has had the same problem and solved it, would they please let me know how. Thank you.
You can print them yourselves if you like, but there is no need to do so.

We always get our luggage tags at the pier when we check our bags in for a cruise, the same way that we get our luggage tags at the airport when we check our bags in for a flight.

I print my luggage tags when I print my boarding documentation (that's part of the documentation process). I print several more copies than I'll need. I then either laminate them to make the sturdy and long lasting and attach them to the bags with luggage ties, OR I put them into clear plastic holders that my TA has begun providing. Nice.

We've found they are quite sturdy just printed on regular paper and folded and stapled according to directions.

I do the same thing & I have never had any issues with them being torn off! :) I am unable to understand why people go to all the time & expense to have them laminated, punched with holes and secured to their luggage with cable ties! :D

I do the same thing & I have never had any issues with them being torn off! :) I am unable to understand why people go to all the time & expense to have them laminated, punched with holes and secured to their luggage with cable ties! :D

Heck I love me my homemade toxic waste proof luggage tags! :D I'm even looking for maybe some stainless steel cable ties. :rolleyes::eek: Seriously I do make up my own on light card stock, laminate them myself, punch a hole in one end and attach with cable ties. It's not that big of a deal or expense and I enjoy doing it but, quite honestly, it's not required.

Heck I love me my homemade toxic waste proof luggage tags! :D I'm even looking for maybe some stainless steel cable ties. :rolleyes::eek: Seriously I do make up my own on light card stock, laminate them myself, punch a hole in one end and attach with cable ties. It's not that big of a deal or expense and I enjoy doing it but, quite honestly, it's not required.

I'm with you Randy, I do the same thing, and they look so pretty and shinny that way :D:D

I'm with you Randy, I do the same thing, and they look so pretty and shinny that way :D:D

For our upcoming Silversea cruise we actually got mailed documents and that included a set of luggage tags. They're actually personalized, in the sense that our names, sailing date, embarkation city, and cabin number pre-printed on them. I wanted a few more so, using their tags as a format guide, I made up a couple of more for each of us.

A year plus ago Joanie (AKA on CC as IRL Joanie) and I got together and came up with a format for HAL luggage tags that included the "Mariner" designation. http://joanjett2000.topcities.com/HAL/HAL-Mariner-Tags/ In the "old days" when HAL used to mail out documents the luggage tags sent to previous cruisers had Mariner printed across one end. Folks missed that with the on-line tags so the project. This is in no way required or necessarily better, it's just fun and we tried to make it easy to do.

We always fly to embark on cruises (No cruiseport here in NH!) so never have a stapler with us to attach the tags. We've found that using the part of the airline tags that are covered (that is, we peel off the parts the airline leaves covered) works beautifully....... holds very well and makes us feel virtuous for re-cycling.

Instead of laminating, I just wrap the tags with that transparent package wrap and then punch the hole. Someone on this board suggested that last year, and it works great.

What do people do who don't have computers and/or printers?

That's the downside to HAL and other cruise lines going to e-docs. Obviously those folks without computers are going to have to use their TA if they've got one or rely on a friend for assistance or have access to the Internet at a cooperative public library. In fact, think how much of the cruise has to be handled through a computer and the luggage tags are almost the least of the problem.

Instead of laminating, I just wrap the tags with that transparent package wrap and then punch the hole. Someone on this board suggested that last year, and it works great.

Luggage tags are always available from the porters at the pier. They have markers and staplers too.

Some poeple won't get their cabin number until they get to the pier and check in with someone who has the manifest, then they can put the number on their tags and have the porters accept their luggage. I've done it several times, very easy.

I was worried about the printable ones being too flimsy, so I put a strip of clear packing tape over each, leaving 1" of tape sticking out at each end. When we get to the pier we'll pull the ends apart, put the tag around the handle and stick the ends back together. That should work. Maybe I'll pack a small roll of packing tape, just in case.

We always fly to embark on cruises (No cruiseport here in NH!) so never have a stapler with us to attach the tags. We've found that using the part of the airline tags that are covered (that is' date=' we peel off the parts the airline leaves covered) works beautifully....... holds very well and makes us feel virtuous for re-cycling.[/quote']The luggage tags supplied at the pier are the kind that do not need either a stapler or tape.

They are usually the laminated kind where you just peel the paper off one end and press the two ends together.

On occasion we received the kind with a loop attachment, where you slip the tag through the loop, but those are not as common.

The luxury lines, such as Regent, have always mailed us the documents, including the pre-printed tags that tie on. I don't know if they still do it, but we also got a leather portfolio to hold everything and leather luggage tag holders. I don't expect that from a mass-market line, but it still bugs me that they can mail 20 pounts of catalogues over the course of the year but, when I give them five or ten thousand dollars, they want me to print out my docs and tags on a home computer. If you check the forums for Regent, Crytal, etc. CCers are always posting joyful messages about "Doc Day", which is when the Fedex package arrives.

It takes very little time and nearly no expense. I have a laminator in my office through which I just run the sheets that I've printed. Then, I hole-punch them with the office hole-punch. No biggie.

The first time I cruised with the print-them-yourself luggage tags I just printed, folded, and stapled them. The staple ended up cutting my hand and the tags got wet in the rain and one ripped off. None of this happens if I laminate them and attach them with plastic tag cables.

But, in the end, one should do whatever works best for them. If you like just folding and stapling, have at it. If you prefer something else, there are plenty of other ways of preparing them.

We always get our luggage tags at the pier when we check our bags in for a cruise, the same way that we get our luggage tags at the airport when we check our bags in for a flight.

This is our method, quick and easy. I don't want to do a craft project.

Here is my tip:

1. I usually print my tags when the limo is waiting out in front of the house (because I forgot).
  2. I then pack them in the bag I least expect them to be in when I get to our hotel.
  3. I spend the morning fighting with Nancy because "I simply cannot understand why she always puts me in charge of the luggage tags!!!!".
  4. I head down to the Concierge to borrow a stapler, so I can afix them in my room… resulting in a $10/tip, because I tip foolishly when on vacation.
  5. I, like RevNeal, cut my fingers on the staples - making it impossible to have a salt-rimmed margarita without screaming like a baby all week.
  6. I forget to return the stapler, resulting in a $30 FEDEX charge when I return home.
  7. Lose my luggage anyway, because that is just always my luck.

Or, you can obviously take advice from the other nice people on this thread...

Archived