air fare credit?

Hawaiidan

Has any one negotiated with Oceiana over air fare credit.

Here is my quandry, I am on a cruise that provided free Rt air from Hawaii to Miami. Presently thats selling for about $1200 pp. because its in the christmas season. Assuming Oceania has a discount and gets it for $800pp ( a guess) thats going to cost them $1600 . I can do the trip through my airline UAL for $550 per pers.

Now, Oceiana has a blanket offer of $400 pp credit. If they upped their offer to $550 they could save about $500 and it would be a win-win for everyone.

Has anyone ever proposed something like this to them? My rep says that they will not talk on the $400. and it is a flat take it or leave it deal.

Who would you contact at Oceiana for such a concept?

It never occurred to me to try to negotiate the credit. We usually do our own air and so we just look at what we can do on our own versus the offered credit. On a couple of occasions it's been better for us to use Oceania's air. But not usually.

But I agree with Sitatraveler that changing the credit would have a cascading effect on far too many travelers. I don't see Oceania agreeing to do so.

I agree that I doubt that they will begin walking down this road. It would be an administrative nightmare and it starts to feel like negotiating for a car.

Oceania probably gets a volume discount from each airline based on annually bookings. So their credit may be more reflective of their costs than we realize.

Generally we evaluate length of flight, routes, before we choose to take Oceania air.Or choose the option were you can request your preferred routing and see if they will give it to you for the same price.

Yes , I did try and the air dept. thought it was a pretty good idea in my case.

However, when they pitched it to higher up they declined.

If I never asked I would have never known. In my case it is worth $2400 to $2500 that I would have to spend my self.. Even using milage it woulld have cost me $2800 in lost value. ( miles are not free, you paid for them and thus they have a cost( .035 cents) to you when they are spent)

so a return of $800 is not worth it to me.. and would cost me $1600 of my own , more !!!

Yes , I did try and the air dept. thought it was a pretty good idea in my case.

However, when they pitched it to higher up they declined.

If I never asked I would have never known. In my case it is worth $2400 to $2500 that I would have to spend my self.. Even using milage it woulld have cost me $2800 in lost value. ( miles are not free, you paid for them and thus they have a cost( .035 cents) to you when they are spent)

so a return of $800 is not worth it to me.. and would cost me $1600 of my own , more !!!

I could have told you up front that is not negotiable..

Jancruz1

My outlook is to not assume anything. If you never asked you would have never actualy known. Too, the persons settiing a policy might have not considered and likewise assumed there were no options.

This relates to the glass being half full or half empty. I told you the glass was almost empty vs," can I have a refill so it wont cost as much as a a full refill."

I have had some very interesting pricing results with Regent in the past with great and productive results for us both... none of which were standad

Life is and continues to be filled with options and change.

Understand that the majority of the passengers are flying to Miami from Canada and states far closer than Hawaii. $400 per person air credit in this case is reasonable.

If we were discussing Carnival or Royal Caribbean, I might be inclined to say that you had a point, but the lions share of Oceania Cruises don't sail from Miami, or any other port in North America, and therefore the Air Credits are already pro-rated on a regular basis.

I'm not saying that it would be in Oceania's' interest to accept Dan's offer of a deal, but the principle of giving larger allowances to passengers who travel further is well established.

If we were discussing Carnival or Royal Caribbean, I might be inclined to say that you had a point, but the lions share of Oceania Cruises don't sail from Miami, or any other port in North America, and therefore the Air Credits are already pro-rated on a regular basis.

I'm not saying that it would be in Oceania's' interest to accept Dan's offer of a deal, but the principle of giving larger allowances to passengers who travel further is well established.

JimandStan:

Please educate me here. I realize that most of Oceania's cruises do not sail from a North American port, but I assume that the credits are based on the itinerary. A credit for a cruise beginning and ending in South America, for example, would be greater than a cruise beginning and ending in Miami or beginning in Miami and ending in Barcelona.

I am actually surprised that ANY cruise line would offer allowances based on ones own travel needs since their initial prices, if they include air, do not vary depending on where you live.

After taking the air credit for 10+ cruises we have the impression that the credit does not always correspond with the distance or location of the starting port.

I know the credit is not based on where you live but we have had better credits on some cruises closer to where, I presume, most of the passengers live (USA) than on others. There does not appear to be a consistent formula but I assume Oceania bases their credit on their contracts or lack thereof with the airlines and also perhaps the popularity of the cruise.

It should be noted it is best, in my opinion, to always book without the air as it can be added back in at any time until final payment.

Archived