Codeshare

TSUmom

I am trying to understand this codeshare thing and have a question. I have an existing reservation out of DFW on Alaska. The regional airport is only serviced by Continental and American. Since AA codeshares with Alaska do I call Alaska Air and add an Eagle flight to my reservation or do I call American and add it? Or is it too late and I maybe should have booked it that way originally? Thank you in advance for any and all input.:)

You have a ticket with AS. Now, one of two options will prevail. Either you re-issue the ticket with AS to reflect the routing from XYZ-DFW-ANC (assuming you are headed to Alaska) or you just buy a second ticket from XYZ to DFW. In the former case, you will have to pay any applicable change fees, plus the difference in the ticket price from DFW-ANC to XYZ-ANC.

In the second case, you just buy tickets to cover the cost from XYZ-DFW and back.

Since you don't give us cities or dates or flights or any of that really useful stuff, we can't say anything more specific. Note that if you have two separate tickets, there is NO responsibility for you making your connection. If there is a delay and you miss your next flight, it is as if you had just missed your originating flight out of DFW. Also, you may or may not be able to interline your bags -- most likely yes, but you are at the agent's discretion when they are not one ticket.

It definitely should have been booked that way to begin with. It's not as simple as just going in and saying "Yeah, I have a ticket from Dallas to Seattle, but I'd actually like to start in Waco, so let's go ahead and throw that one on there too." It will require a whole new ticket and, unfortunately, associated fees. But I think Alaska is the place to call first.

We have 1st class seats from DFW to Sea on Alaska. Origianlly the flight was to leave DFW at 7:15 am so our plan was to drive to Dallas after work and overnite near the airport. Alaska then stopped the morning flights and put us on a 6 pm flight out of DFW. Instead of driving we are thinking of catching an Eagle flight out of Waco at 3:00 arriving @ DFW by 4 and we were hoping to not have to pick up luggage at one terminal and checking it at another. I hope I have explained my situation a little better. Thank you again.

We have 1st class seats from DFW to Sea on Alaska. Origianlly the flight was to leave DFW at 7:15 am so our plan was to drive to Dallas after work and overnite near the airport. Alaska then stopped the morning flights and put us on a 6 pm flight out of DFW. Instead of driving we are thinking of catching an Eagle flight out of Waco at 3:00 arriving @ DFW by 4 and we were hoping to not have to pick up luggage at one terminal and checking it at another. I hope I have explained my situation a little better. Thank you again.

I would call Alaska. Given the ticket is in F, and there's no change fees for a ticket in F, adding ACT-DFW shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Another point, most likely in your favor, is the time frame of the change and when you booked.

If you booked your ticket within the last 24 hours then the ticket is totally cancellable. I don't think that's the case BUT since there was a dramatic change of flight times (over 3 hours) Alaska should offer you a refund for cancellation and you can rebook your Waco to Seattle flights on one PNR. That will give you the protection via the airline that you are seeking.

I would call Alaska and cancel and rebook or work with the agent to protect your DFW to Seattle flight while adding the Waco to DFW with as little cost adjustment as possible. Do check the available flight options before you talk to an agent.

Good luck

Glad to see the good info from alcpa and scott....yes, the devil is in the details. If you have a full F ticket (not an upgrade), you should have much more flexibility.

Tip for posting questions....the more info in the first post, the less need for a second one. Changed this from one question to a different one.

I would call Alaska. Given the ticket is in F, and there's no change fees for a ticket in F, adding ACT-DFW shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Not always true!

If you have a full F ticket (not an upgrade), you should have much more flexibility.

Even if the ticket is not a full F ticket, because of the drastic schedule change you have a right to cancel the current ticket for no charge. They can't make you fly 11 hours later, so you can change or get a refund for no charge (as alcpa1 said).

Thank you all for the info...I called alaska air and they were wonderful. We canceled the first reservation, rebooked and added the eagle flight, quite painless and only cost me what I would have paid booking the Eagle flight separately - because of the airlines schedule change and because of the paid 1st seating. She did say that even if I had booked the Eagle flight with AA I could have checked my bags in Waco straight through to Seattle as they have a baggage transfer with American.

Flyertalker, you are right about not giving enough info in my first post, I just don't want to be one of those that rambles on with too much info....:o

Flyertalker, you are right about not giving enough info in my first post, I just don't want to be one of those that rambles on with too much info....:o
You were fine....just for when someone wants an on-point answer, it's dependent on what info comes in.

On a Cruise Air Forum scale of 1 to 10, you were at least a 7 in giving info upfront. You would not believe how many ones or twos there are. And then there are the negative numbers for those that work hard to obscure and confuse the issue. As I often say, you can tell me your flight info...I won't fly to your airport to stalk the gate area.

Glad that it all worked out. Remember that on a paid F ticket, you also have access to the AS board rooms. The ones in both SEA and ANC are quite nice, IMO. Both have pancake machines for pancakes in the mornings, soup kettles and fresh salads during the day. One of the better domestic USA lounge experiences.

Archived