Celebrity's New Menu: I'm just the messenger.

C 2 C

Hi Everyone,

I'm puzzled why folks continue to be unhappy about the rumored loss of Baked Potatoes. If you check Celebrity's post below, they confirmed it's not being eliminated.

[quote name='Celebrity Cruises']Hello All,
We thank you as always for your passion and support for Celebrity. It was important to us to offer some additional information as a part of the discussion happening here regarding some exciting updates we have been testing in our main restaurants. The combination of our valuable guest feedback as well as leading culinary trends, seasonality, and availability of food items (as is the current, temporary situation with Escargot which we will offer as soon as it becomes available) are all factors that inform updates to our menu selections, enabling us to deliver a superior breadth of choices of the highest quality. We have been testing some different menu concepts on Solstice that have been highly received by our guests that include several enhancements specifically requested by guests. These include beloved entrees such as Broiled Lobster Tail and Chateaubriand as well as delicious new offerings of hot and cold appetizers. [COLOR=red][B]Also, please know that we continue to offer a full assortment of your choice of side dishes, including baked potatoes[/B][/COLOR], as well as selections for those guests with special dietary needs, including gluten free. We will continue to innovate and test new culinary offerings, learning always. We look forward to having you aboard to sample these offerings for yourself and taste the ways we are always striving to bring culinary excellence and evolution as part of a fabulous vacation experience.[/quote]

[quote name='Bridge Maven']Look at the bright side. At least you still get food that is included in your cruise fare :)[/QUOTE]

LOL........and I think its an improvement.......lots of new appetizers to choice from, I usally have at least 2...:eek::D.

AND my all time fav...Creme Brulee is still there......:cool:

[quote name='CRUZBUDS']I know it's not the menu, but it was a change. We were really bummed on the Century last September to learn they no longer bring the dessert tray so you could see what they look like. That was always a highlight of the meal.

One of our best waiters, Terek, years ago on the Infinity put on quite a show with the tray every evening. It was great fun. He would pretend to forget what things were. "I practice and practice and still I forget!" :)[/quote]

Oh, I remember that. The same with baked alaska. They used to bring it in with "firework" during the last formal night parade...

[quote name='Host Andy']Hi Everyone,

I'm puzzled why folks continue to be unhappy about the rumored loss of Baked Potatoes. If you check Celebrity's post below, they confirmed it's not being eliminated.[/QUOTE]

I was just going to post the same thought when I saw your post.
Perhaps it's because many people see "changes coming" & assume the worst, & from then on, tend to read selectively.

The loaded baked potatoes are indeed gone from Connies new menu, although our waiter said that he could send his Asst to deck 10 to get one if we really wanted them or our table could put in an order a day in advance. They are trying to accommodate but don't know if it is something all waiters are doing or only ours. Last night's potato was pretty hard and not hot by the time it was served so their Plan B didn't exactly work.

There was an actual statement in yesterdays Daily..."where have all the escargot gone" explaining that drought conditions have reduced their availability for the time being but that is not expected to be a permanent change.

I am aware of no similar drought affecting the potato crop <smile>

[quote name='omarchs']All the cruise lines have been cutting back on food over the years and Celebrity stands out more due to their past food reputation with Michel Roux.

We have always preferred Celebrity and have put up with the steady decline in food selection/quality over the past few years since we still liked the staff and ships.

Our last cruise on the Silhouette in November, the MDR selections and food hit a new low and we are now looking elsewhere. I do agree that Celebrity doesn't care since you can complain onboard and the staff will try to please, but they have to work with what they are given. All the cruise lines figure there are many more potential cruise passengers out there so they can afford to lose some old customers.[/QUOTE]

Absolutely agree. We were on Silhouette in Januayr with same comments. I believe you have hit the nail on the head. Cruise lines are counting on the new passengers who are not aware of decline in food quality and who, for the most part, are very happy just to be on a cruise and not have to cook.

Is it possible that some things are being eliminated from the menu because of relatively limited demand? Even though I love their chilled soups, maybe there isn't as much request for them as other appetizers/soups on the menu. Another possibility is to vary the menu for people who take all of their cruises on Celebrity and might get bored from lack of change. Just a thought (or two) :)

[quote name='cdn.cruiser']I don't mind the new menu, my only compliant is that the rack of lamb and chateaubriand are on the same night. Do you think they will be offered twice on a 12 day cruise in the Med?[/QUOTE]

Dont be too disappointed. The rack of lamb on our recent cruise was nothing special. And if the chateaufbriand is anything like the rest of the beef they served on our cruise, you won't have time to chew it and make the late show in the theater.

There was an actual statement in yesterdays Daily..."where have all the escargot gone" explaining that drought conditions have reduced their availability for the time being but that is not expected to be a permanent change.

A few years back, when I wanted to consume some food drenched with garlic butter myself, I arranged to have the escargot replaced with mushroom caps. (For some reason my mind cannot convince my palate to accept slimy animals but has no problem accepting reprocessed horse droppings). Table mates could not differentiate between their choice and mine.

A RCCL press release about Celebrity "cuisine":

MIAMI, Feb. 29, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Anyone who believes that cruise ship dining is driven by quantity over quality has not experienced Celebrity Cruises' award-winning cuisine, a leading component of the modern luxury vacation offered on its stylish ships.
http://www.rclinvestor.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=103045&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1667378&highlight=

I wonder if this menu will soon appear on a Celebrity ship?

The April 5 dinner will begin with an eclectic array of six hors d'oeuvres and canapes, many of which are inspired by the chefs' history of cooking together as well as other career experiences that have shaped their culinary style. An eggplant imam bayildi with chickpea fritters pays homage to the Middle Eastern-inspired meze in the popular "M's Favorites" in Qsine, the Celebrity Cruises specialty restaurant that aims to awaken palates through a playful and whimsical approach to familiar and memorable dishes from around the world. Paired with this and the other hors d'oeuvres will be several California wine "stars" – a celebratory 2009 Etoile brut sparkling wine (produced by Moet & Chandon) and a 2007 Cakebread Cellars sauvignon blanc selected for its high acidity, which will drive guests' palates to crave more flavors – flavors that will be delivered during the dinner. Another highlight of the hors d'oeuvres and canape service will be the use of custom-designed serving vessels instead of traditional presentations. Highlighting the chefs' creativity and expressiveness, this approach will not only complement the flavors and textures of the food, but also help tell the story by immersing guests in a fuller, multi-sensory experience.

I've read all 9 pages (so far) of this thread and it along with this New York Times article http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/29/dining/tournedos-rossini-a-french-classic-as-deluxe-comfort-food.html?pagewanted=2&_r=1&ref=dining really got me thinking. My thoughts are contradictory and not very coherent so forgive my ramblings here in this post.

Did anyone else notice the similarity between the new MDR menus and the menus in Blu? There not exactly the same but if you'ld looked at a Blu Menu, you could start to predict the direction that these menus were going to take. I'm not suggesting that the MDR menus are going to be at the Blu quality level, I'm just saying that the food offerings seem to be following the trends laid out in Blu over the last couple of years.

I speculate that a lot of this has to do with what JVS (and the rest of X management) is trying to do with the food budget. I also speculate that this has to do with the concept of "Modern Luxury" that is X's marketing and brand image. Do the new menus better fit within that concept than the old menus?

Cruise ship menus have been bound by tradition. We expect the old classics -- the chilled soups, the escargot, the tournedos Rossini, the chateaubriand, the cherries jubillee, the baked Alaska, the lobster tail. Do you see these at ANY resort restaurants or any restaurants in your home town? I'm guessing that JVS feels hamstrung by these expectations and is trying to change them -- especially as he doesn't seem to have the budget for all of it.

While I appreciate the desire to move beyond some of these traditions, I point to that NYT article to suggest that while change and innovation are good, let's not forget that these old classics are classics for a reason -- they're pretty good. I love the cold soups and am mourning their demise. It's one of the things that I look forward to on a cruise. I periodically peruse the menu's here on CC and pick what I would order. Invariably, it would be a cold soup along with a salad. (While the fact that they've grouped the salads and the soups together for years might trick some people into thinking that you get one or the other, it's never tricked me.) On the other hand, my wife never liked the cold soups and never ordered them and thought the whole concept to be weird. I suspect that they're probably more people like her than me.

I actually think that JVS is trying to accomodate a lot of things -- menu innovation, budget, and preserving some of the classics. I'm willing to go with it, to a point. The new menus looked decent (especially if escargot is on board). I wish, however, that the cold soups had made the cut. I'm also going to be looking for what changes in Blu in the future. I suspect that's the menu that JVS wants to serve and I think that it will foreshadow future changes in the MDR if the budget permits.

A RCCL press release about Celebrity "cuisine":

http://www.rclinvestor.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=103045&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1667378&highlight=

I wonder if this menu will soon appear on a Celebrity ship?

Arno, I just hope that they don't serve anything like the Cajun Seared Ahi Tuna that we had when we signed up for the Chef's Dinner in the Galley on the Constellation. What was done to that Tuna was a crime that should have been prosecuted; it was completely inedible. Spices are intended to compliment and accent food, not convert it into rocket fuel.

And in case someone asked, yes, I think that I am a fair cook and do a lot of Cajun Style stuff a la Paul Prudhomme.......

Ed

I returned from the Princess cruise to nowhere. The virus cruise. The food on Crown Princess was not good at all. Nothing on the menu like on past cruises. No lobster, few fish items. I am looking at other cruiselines besides Princess. i keep writing to them but they don't answer

Is it possible that some things are being eliminated from the menu because of relatively limited demand? Even though I love their chilled soups, maybe there isn't as much request for them as other appetizers/soups on the menu. Another possibility is to vary the menu for people who take all of their cruises on Celebrity and might get bored from lack of change. Just a thought (or two) :)

Hi Bridge Maven,

I've wondered the same thing. In the case of the Chilled soups, we enjoy them very much. Ever tried Celebrity's chilled cucumber soup ? It's awesome, and we will miss it. Nonetheless, the elimination of chilled soup is not causing any loss of sleep :). On our December Connie sailing, Our Waiter commented on our enjoyment of the chilled soups, saying "I'm glad you are enjoying them, but few guests order them anymore". I thought that was interesting insight, and probably factored in the decision.

Suggestion: for those who feel strongly about chilled soup... with advance notice - why not ask the Assistant Maitre 'd if it can be prepared for you ?. I'm not certain it can happen, but Celebrity tries very hard to accomodate their Guests. It never hurts to ask.

As long as the new Cuisine is enjoyable, we will embrace the changes. I completely respect that some members are unhappy, but I plan to actually taste the new items before I pass judgement. IMO, it's a good thing to tweak the menus from time to time, and is especially a plus for those who cruise often with Celebrity.

We've booked our first Celebrity cruise (Hawaii) for 15 days in April (second cruise ever). We scoured a suite and very excited. Chilled soups and escargot are two of the items I was looking forward to. Of course what you can't have you always want a bit more :-).

I intend to focus on the good stuff remaining and the new that is being introduced, which I'm sure will outweigh the loss. Still I'm glad to have this "heads-up".

But those seasoned cruisers - I feel your pain, and will express it when on the cruise.

I'm sure I missed several fellow 'potato heads' who've posted on this thread, but let us all unite!

I love potatoes- fried, oven-roasted, potato skins, mashed and my favorite of all- Baked!!

Celebrity, please let the words of your representative on this thread be true and make sure baked potatoes remain on the "always available" menu. Thanks!

As much as I like to try new things I must admit that I am also a "potato head!" I also love a properly prepared steak and have resorted to the left side of the menu on many nights. Unfortunately, on recent cruises most times the steaks have been tough and the potatoes have been HARD. A good baked potato should be crisp on the outside and nice and soft on the inside. There is nothing difficult about this!

It's wonderful to have the choice of exciting new entrees but there should also be the choice of a good steak and baked potato when one is in the mood for it. As far as choosing a cruise for the food, why not? After having cruised everywhere we have wished to cruise, our cruises are not so much about itinerary any longer but more about the more sea days the better or about the dates available that work for all of our family members when we are doing a family cruise.

I use to recommend Celebrity as having fabulous food but I am no longer willing to offer that opinion. I would have to say that now it is just above "okay." However, at least the service was always good, even as the food quality declined. Now we are seeing a decline in service as well.

I understand that Celebrity may be seeking to appeal to a new demographic, but if the service and food quality are not good will their new clients be return clients? Can't they satisfy their loyal customers AS WELL as cultivating new ones by continuing to distinguish themselves with their food and service? Yes, I know it costs a bit more, but surprisingly, there ARE many people who realize that you get what you pay for!

One poster stated that no one is going to starve on a cruise, but then again, no one would starve if they served McDonalds every night either. I'm sure there is certain demographic out there that would be happy with that, too.

It just seems to me that the cuisine was such a point of distinction on a Celebrity cruise in the past.

Personally, I don't like chilled soup, so that isn't a problem with me. I had plenty of escargot in the past (probably way to much) so I'm not concerned about that. I think the menus look good.

I, for one, will enjoy both the MDR and the specialty restaurants on our upcoming Silhouette cruise on March 17th. I, for one, will not be in the kitchen, cooking, presenting, or cleaning up. That works for me:)

Lucy

I was wondering will the items in the buffet for breakfast and lunch be the same or have they changed that.

I love the cheese blintzes with sour cream and strawberries for breakfast.

I sailed aquaclass last time but went to the buffet for breakfast for the blinzes. Only went to blus for breakfast twice. loved blus for dinner but loved the blinzes for breakfast.

Does "familiarity breed contempt" here to use a phrase

If you did not know you could previously get x or y how happy would you be with these menus?

Just a thought, wonder what a first time cruiser who has never seen the previous menus would make of these - maybe the economics are focussing attention on starting to grow a new market; maybe the reported demographics of some of the cruises is causing a forward think to target a younger audience?

And we all know the only person who likes change is a baby ..........

I've only cruised once before, on a now defunct NCL ship, and the food was definitely not the highlight. Having looked at the menus posted on this thread, unless they are completely inept cooks, I'm really excited about the options. Not knowing what came before may work in my favour. And I don't think anybody will go hungry.

Even the most popular restaurants occasionally change up their menus to reflect changing tastes, seasons, supplies, costs etc.

9 Cruiser's on Celebrity and the next one is April 7 on one of the Soltice Class ships.....

Everyone is cutting back so why should Celebrity not do the same...I'm still paying about the same for a cruise that I did 10 years ago.

You can't eat any where for the price and quality you get with CCL.

So suck it up folks and enjoy your next cruise, who knows what will happn in the near future with the eonomy.....

Now you get on the phone right now and book a cruise...Or I'm coming to get you...:)

Archived