If I chose my cruise line based on the menu choices and food quality...

GranthamMommy

What the heck is the meaning of being a foodie?

from Wikipedia:

Foodie is an informal term for a particular class of aficionado of food and drink. The word was coined in 1981 by Paul Levy and Ann Barr, who used it in the title of their 1984 book The Official Foodie Handbook.

Although the two terms are sometimes used interchangeably, foodies differ from gourmets in that gourmets are epicures of refined taste, whereas foodies are amateurs who simply love food for consumption, study, preparation, and news.

(complete story at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foodie)

I just have to say that I can't imagine planning any vacation by looking at the menus. I know that even if I spend the entire time eating hamburgers from the Mast Grill, I would have plenty to eat. Don't get me wrong--I appreciate a well prepared and delicious meal as much as anyone, but there is so much more to cruising, or any vacation, than what I am going to have to eat that it becomes a non-issue.

To each his own, I guess. . .

I feel the same way as you. You will never go hungry and I would not base my cruise on the menu or quality of food served. No food on any line is that horrible. As you say, to each their own. Just like I don't understand the dress code threads whereby people choose Celebrity because they enjoy dressing up for formal nights and want it strictly enforced, and give that as their top reason for choosing Celebrity as their cruise line. To each their own.

Again thank you to the posters that answered my questions.

For those of you that heard it all, apparently you haven't.

For those of you that don't think the food makes the cruise... It doesn't necessarily make it, but it certainly can put a damper on things(been there, done that). Our family saves all year for one nice vacation. Why would I choose a particular cruise line, where I did't like the menu? There are other cruise lines.

I was looking for information and input from the experts. I get enough sarcasm and attitude from my teenage son! Do I really have to be perfect and know everything to post on here....Apparently so.

I guess I'll shop on line now for some tacky clothes for the MDR.....may as well hear from the rest. And I wasn't going to go there......

Some people could do with remembering an old Chinese Proverb...

"He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask is a fool forever."

Why shouldn't it be a deal breaker? It's GranthamMommy's cruise, HER holiday, the one SHE saved up for, the one SHE wants to enjoy. If food is the thing then it's nothing to do with anyone else and she was asking for facts not opinions of her or her husband. Get over it everyone, other people have needs & requirements of their holidays, they don't all want the same one as YOU.

I'm glad you asked the question, I now know of two other lines I'd like to try - we love food.

Jeez, people are odd.

We love the way Celebrity treats us and the food offered on board. Those are why we choose Celebrity over other cruise lines. Clearly, they are important to us. I appreciate hearing about the other lines with good food, since the food in the MDR seems to be be declining in quality.

The new menus appear to be trimmed down and we're hoping that means they will be able to concentrate on the quality of the remaining items.

While price, itinerary and food are all factors in our choice for a cruise, having experienced both Oceania and Azamara, they both offer much better food and service than mass market lines (but clearly at a price). BTW, the extra priced specialty restaurants on the mass market lines do offer very good food also.

I feel the same way as you. You will never go hungry and I would not base my cruise on the menu or quality of food served. No food on any line is that horrible. As you say, to each their own. Just like I don't understand the dress code threads whereby people choose Celebrity because they enjoy dressing up for formal nights and want it strictly enforced, and give that as their top reason for choosing Celebrity as their cruise line. To each their own.

So you are not interested in food quality or dressing up for formal nights. I assume you choose Celebrity for some reason, maybe like the slightly upscale atomosphere. Of course, as food quality declines and formal dress disappears, the atmosphere will definitely change also. Basically all mass market lines will eventually become Carnival Cruise Line as the number of people looking for cheap vacations increases. We are about half way there already.

Of course, as food quality declines and formal dress disappears, the atmosphere will definitely change also. Basically all mass market lines will eventually become Carnival Cruise Line as the number of people looking for cheap vacations increases. We are about half way there already.

I'd love to argue, but I have to admit that you're probably right. What a shame.

Let's not be too judgmental on the OP. Each of us have a key "thing" that would make us loyal to a specific cruiseline.

Personally, I like the ambiance on Celebrity ships. I enjoy good food, but it's not a "make it, or break it" decision for me.

Enjoy your future cruise.

I read a lot of people complaining about the quality has gone down or the quality on the food on line x is better quality than line y.

I wonder how many of you know the actual quality of what you are eating.

For example there are steaks and then there are steaks. They may be the same cut and weight but the quality can differer... vastly. You don't know how it was farmed, killed, packed and shipped. How long was it stored? where it was farmed etc. How can you tell me that the quality on x was better than y when you don't know where the ingredients come from.

You don't know how it was farmed, killed, packed and shipped. How long was it stored? where it was farmed etc. How can you tell me that the quality on x was better than y when you don't know where the ingredients come from.

You're right, I don't know those things. I do know that on our last cruise, the steak was mushy and undercooked. My husband used to cook in diners and thinks they are what's called "utility grade" meat. If they problem is the things you list, then Celebrity should get a new supplier.

So you are not interested in food quality or dressing up for formal nights. I assume you choose Celebrity for some reason, maybe like the slightly upscale atomosphere. Of course, as food quality declines and formal dress disappears, the atmosphere will definitely change also. Basically all mass market lines will eventually become Carnival Cruise Line as the number of people looking for cheap vacations increases. We are about half way there already.

I disagree. On certain lines (like A and O) "country club casual" is the dress, and it still was quite classy. I do think that the X crowd ( and the ships themselves) in general (hard to generalize) are more upscale than pax on some other mass market lines (based upon experience). Here comes trouble!!!

Dabear wrote: " I disagree. On certain lines (like A and O) "country club casual" is the dress, and it still was quite classy. I do think that the X crowd ( and the ships themselves) in general (hard to generalize) are more upscale than pax on some other mass market lines (based upon experience). Here comes trouble!!! ".

I agree. Country club casual is dressy enough. With the current airline bag and weight restrictions, why pack formal too?

Up until recently, I only cruised on Regent which is considered a " higher end " cruise line. At least it's alot more expensive.

I now prefer Celebrity. The ships are modern and alot newer. The food is as good, or in the case of Blu, better. The people are more fun and friendlier on Celebrity.

I am a foodie as well; let's face it , the quality is likely to go down as all prices go up. ThePaul Gauguin been my favourite so far, although since it is not with Regent any longer, who knows... I agree that the Amazara line does a consistently nice job.

I was on the PG when Regent ran the show and I have to say the food was the lowpoint of the trip. The breakfast foods were barely edible.

While I would never consider myself something as pretentious as a foodie I do feel I know what flavor is. Perhaps I don't what ingredients go in certain dishes, but I do know when I enjoy it. Having been on Oceania once I have to give them an average on their food. On a 10 night cruise I was pretty much bored with the blandness of their food. I hope they will change my mind on our upcoming trip in May. Afterall, 21 nights of their menu will give me a chance to try a lot of different choices.

Having cruised Celebrity twice I find their food to be about as good or maybe a little better than all the other lines I've been on, with maybe the exception of Silversea. They did everything right. Celebrity is still a great value for the money.

I disagree. On certain lines (like A and O) "country club casual" is the dress, and it still was quite classy. I do think that the X crowd ( and the ships themselves) in general (hard to generalize) are more upscale than pax on some other mass market lines (based upon experience). Here comes trouble!!!

The only problem I see is that some people don't know the difference between country club casual and yard clothes from what I have seen on RCCL and Carnival.

Good conversation since the last time I checked in....I like that

Are we "foodies"? Maybe. Do we enjoy food? Well yes. Do we enjoy cooking? Yes. Do we try all types of food? Yes. Do I like steak tartare? Yes. Would I rather have a good rib-eye? In a heartbeat. Our son is graduating from high school and has wanted to be a chef since he was in junior high. Visiting culinary schools is great - they feed you well since they are out to impress.

As an update...It looks like we're going to stay with our current cruise. We chose to try Celebrity for a number of reasons, so we're going to stick with it. And I am looking foward to the itinerary - 14 day RT out of Singapore. We're saving every penny and vacation day possible to be able to go.

Humor is appreciated. Opinions are as well. But for those of us that don't cruise as often and are looking for advice.....please be nice. And if you can't say anything nice...well remember what your momma said.......don't say anything at all. Good thing is....most CC people are.

The only problem I see is that some people don't know the difference between country club casual and yard clothes from what I have seen on RCCL and Carnival.

I cannot believe your post. I have been saying this for years and getting hammered. I have seen the same thing on Celebrity - a wrinkled pair of khakis and and old polo shirt. Looks like they just got finished mowing the lawn. Even more prevalent with older passengers. Looks like they have not bought any clothes in 20 years. I can say that since I am 70 years young. I figure anything you would wear to MacDonalds or your local Mall should never be worn in the evening on any cruise line.

We choose our cruise based on 1. Itinerary 2. The ship and 3. The price. As I have said before, don't denigrate Carnival Cruise Line. We had a wonderful experience on them both in the ancient past and on our Eastern Mediterranean cruise on the Freedom in 2008. The itinerary, cabin, service, and food were wonderful and just as good as X and RCI and better than Princess. Everyone has their own criteria for chosing a cruise and what is important to them may not be important to someone else.

I cannot believe your post. I have been saying this for years and getting hammered. I have seen the same thing on Celebrity - a wrinkled pair of khakis and and old polo shirt. Looks like they just got finished mowing the lawn. Even more prevalent with older passengers. Looks like they have not bought any clothes in 20 years. I can say that since I am 70 years young. I figure anything you would wear to MacDonalds or your local Mall should never be worn in the evening on any cruise line.

Hi kid. I was in 5th grade when you were born.

I have always packed 2 or more NEW shirts (soft collar) for a cruise. I can't believe people wearing Tshirts to the MDR! :eek: My Grandchildren have known since they were 10 or 12 you wear a collared shirt to play golf!

I take a couple of Tshirts for pajama tops.

"If I chose my cruise line based on the menu choices and food quality... "

Take a land vacation, more choices, and cooked to order!

Just my two cents. In my case I also find it important what kind of food is served on a particular cruise line. My experience is very limited (only 1 cruise yet) but that time decided on Princess due to the favorite reviews on their food. Felt I could not go wrong there.

With the new Celebrity menu, had a look the other day and was disappointed (for me and my mother) that the lobster bisque was not anymore on the any day menu. And I agree with OP that indeed the soups and salad have very limited choice and do not excite me. But I am sure the food will taste nice and it will be interesting to compare to our first experience.

But I am sure that other things will be better or more impressive like the ship itself! From Dawn Princess to Equinox, Yeah:D

Just my two cents. In my case I also find it important what kind of food is served on a particular cruise line. My experience is very limited (only 1 cruise yet) but that time decided on Princess due to the favorite reviews on their food. Felt I could not go wrong there.

With the new Celebrity menu, had a look the other day and was disappointed (for me and my mother) that the lobster bisque was not anymore on the any day menu. And I agree with OP that indeed the soups and salad have very limited choice and do not excite me. But I am sure the food will taste nice and it will be interesting to compare to our first experience.

But I am sure that other things will be better or more impressive like the ship itself! From Dawn Princess to Equinox, Yeah:D

We were on Silhouette in January 2012. My wife loves lobster bisque as did our table mates. They all ordered it once and NEVER AGAIN. So maybe your disappointment would have been even worse if they left if on the menu!

hi kid. I was in 5th grade when you were born.

I have always packed 2 or more new shirts (soft collar) for a cruise. I can't believe people wearing tshirts to the mdr! :eek: My grandchildren have known since they were 10 or 12 you wear a collared shirt to play golf!

I take a couple of tshirts for pajama tops.

"if i chose my cruise line based on the menu choices and food quality... "

take a land vacation, more choices, and cooked to order!

ok pops!

For food... Oceania hands down. And their specialty restaurants are complimentary.

Celebrity's food isn't bad, it's fine for the budget allowed and the many passengers they serve.

But get rid of the lamb shank. Love lamb, but not all that fat!

I just have to say that I can't imagine planning any vacation by looking at the menus. I know that even if I spend the entire time eating hamburgers from the Mast Grill, I would have plenty to eat. Don't get me wrong--I appreciate a well prepared and delicious meal as much as anyone, but there is so much more to cruising, or any vacation, than what I am going to have to eat that it becomes a non-issue.

To each his own, I guess. . .

We were on Silhouette in January 2012. My wife loves lobster bisque as did our table mates. They all ordered it once and NEVER AGAIN. So maybe your disappointment would have been even worse if they left if on the menu!

Not sure what has been going on with menu changes since I left for our Celebrity Eclipse cruise last week. I'll have to search the boards to see what y'all are talking about, but wanted to add that our food in Blu was hit or miss this past week.:rolleyes: A slight disappointment since Blu has been so highly touted.

We have previously dined in the MDR on the Equinox, Century and our first cruise on Celebrity, the Millie. ;) In our opinion, the food has gone down in quality a little bit - with each cruise - since that first cruise, hence the reason we decided to try Blu.

In Blu, service and quantity were plentiful, but the majority of the dishes were just OK to us. Many had little taste, including the filet. A couple of dishes that were outstanding was the Salmon, Tuna, and the Rack of Lamb. Like Babette mentioned, on the last night, we were disappointed that a lamb shank was served instead. :( Thought that Blu was touted as a more healthy alternative. Most of the appetizers and salads were tasty, as was the bread, but the main entrees were so, so. Overall, we would try Blu again, because as I said, we were not impressed with the MDR experience on our Equinox cruise.

We agree about the lobster bisque. It has been consistently disgusting. YUCK!

On a side note, we actually ate at the Mast Grill twice on our cruise because the OV Cafe food was not as good as our cruise on the Equinox. Those hamburgers were quite tasty!

Now off to do that search on the new dining menus.

Archived