If I chose my cruise line based on the menu choices and food quality...

GranthamMommy

We booked our first cruise on the Millenium - January 2013. We were very excited about the itinerary, menus and quality of service (we read about here.) We haven't cruised alot, but trying to step up from the craziness of Carnival cruise.

If the new menu changes hold, then they are a deal breaker for us.

Looking for recommendations from those of you that cruise alot, especially with other lines, to recommend another line. I know that everyone has different opinions, but looking recommendations for cruise lines with

- menu with variety (especially with soups and appetizers)

- good quality food in the MDR

-not interested in feedback on Specialty Restaurants.

Yes I read about Lobster- I live in New England, not a big deal. Yes I read about Chateaubriand - but not something I'd be ordering.

Not trying to stir things up, just looking for some recommendations....

Thank you.

If you are a true foodie, book Cunard Queens Grill. Whatever you want, they will cook for you. Anything. Just ask. There's an apocryphal story of someone asking for elephant's ears and the Maitre d' said, "Would that be Indian or African elephant sir?"

Prices for a suite can be a bit steep but if you wait until very close to sailing then some ridiculously low prices start to pop up.

It looks to me like the chilled soups are the deal breaker. While I like them, I quit ordering them when I realized there is a lot of cream in them. I will miss the gazpacho but I like my recipe better. We will continue to sail on Celebrity and enjoy the food.

For food... Oceania hands down. And their specialty restaurants are complimentary.

Celebrity's food isn't bad, it's fine for the budget allowed and the many passengers they serve.

But get rid of the lamb shank. Love lamb, but not all that fat!

I just have to say that I can't imagine planning any vacation by looking at the menus. I know that even if I spend the entire time eating hamburgers from the Mast Grill, I would have plenty to eat. Don't get me wrong--I appreciate a well prepared and delicious meal as much as anyone, but there is so much more to cruising, or any vacation, than what I am going to have to eat that it becomes a non-issue.

To each his own, I guess. . .

I've read many, many positive reports on Oceania's food, however haven't had the pleasure of trying them yet.

After nine voyages on Crystal, I can definitely recommend them in the food department. Their product is also going all-inclusive this Spring if that's of any interest to you.

I consider myself a foodie and love the food served on Celebrity.

I have also dined with fellow cruiser who were very plain eaters and also had no complaints.

I really dont think you should worry too much.

There is so much variety to choose from throughout the ship and I have always found that if you treat the waiters well they will try their very best to ensure you dine well.

The dining is a wonderful part of the cruise but you will enjoy a Celebrity cruise for so much more than just the food.:)

You could take a look at the menus for HAL. They had some appetizing dishes offered. But then in our experience anyway, the execution (at least on Eurodam) was subpar, so much so that we have no desire to return. I'd rather sail on Celebrity, knowing they do a pretty good job, consistently over the years, of serving something that matches the description.

If we're talking mass market lines, I prefer Princess's offerings to HAL's. I haven't been on Celebrity in years but am trying to find the right opportunity to come back and try them again.

From all I've read, Oceania's food is probably the best option (short of a budget buster cruise) for the real foodie. They are another line on my list....

I'm just curious what the key differences were to you between your initial expectation and what changes you perceive with the new menus posted?

I'm not expecting a change in the quality of the food, but it's the number of choices available. I poured over the menus posted by others (thank you for the efforts!) We especially enjoy the appetizers, soups and salads served in the MDR on any cruise. On the "old" menus, there were typically 2-3-4 that I was anxious to try and wondered which one I would pick or share or whatever. The new "sample" menu didn't seem to retain the choices that I would pick.

Definitely an issue for us, maybe not for someone else. And while some would love a whole lobster or Chateaubriand, we'd probably never order those. But we live in New England so lobster isn't a big deal for me, and we'd NEVER share the Chateaubriand.

And my husband has a THING for baked potatoes. Let's just leave it at that. I mentioned it to him and dinner this evening and well.... lol!

There are a number of things that can make or break a cruise. But I know I wouldn't pick a cruise if I didn't really want was on the menu for dinner.

The cruise is a year away and we're no where near final payment...so we'll see how the menu's evolve for now. And now have the great insight from fellow cruise critic members if we want to make a change.

Again thank you to the posters that answered my questions.

For those of you that heard it all, apparently you haven't.

For those of you that don't think the food makes the cruise... It doesn't necessarily make it, but it certainly can put a damper on things(been there, done that). Our family saves all year for one nice vacation. Why would I choose a particular cruise line, where I did't like the menu? There are other cruise lines.

I was looking for information and input from the experts. I get enough sarcasm and attitude from my teenage son! Do I really have to be perfect and know everything to post on here....Apparently so.

I guess I'll shop on line now for some tacky clothes for the MDR.....may as well hear from the rest. And I wasn't going to go there......

Oceania is far ahead of any of the mass market lines.

But I don't consider Oceania a mass market line based on their fares. They are not as expensive as Crystal or Regent but still typically signficantly more than Celebrity for a comparable itinerary. If X charged the same amount as Oceania I am sure their food budget would be higher per passenger.

For those of you that don't think the food makes the cruise... It doesn't necessarily make it, but it certainly can put a damper on things(been there, done that). Our family saves all year for one nice vacation. Why would I choose a particular cruise line, where I did't like the menu? There are other cruise lines.

I was looking for information and input from the experts. I get enough sarcasm and attitude from my teenage son! Do I really have to be perfect and know everything to post on here....Apparently so.

We've cruised on Azamara, Celebrity, Princess, and Norwegian, and, as a serious foodie, I would rate the food in that order. If your budget is generous, choose Azamara or Oceania. If money is not an issue, the premium lines should appeal to you.

We've cruised on Azamara, Celebrity, Princess, and Norwegian, and, as a serious foodie, I would rate the food in that order. If your budget is generous, choose Azamara or Oceania. If money is not an issue, the premium lines should appeal to you.

Thank you dinosaurdem. Just what I was looking for.

I just have to say that I can't imagine planning any vacation by looking at the menus. I know that even if I spend the entire time eating hamburgers from the Mast Grill, I would have plenty to eat. Don't get me wrong--I appreciate a well prepared and delicious meal as much as anyone, but there is so much more to cruising, or any vacation, than what I am going to have to eat that it becomes a non-issue.

To each his own, I guess. . .

We said and agree 100%

Oh yes, Oceana etc; la de da!

Nothing wrong with going that way, and you probably should if that is the most important part of your Cruise.

What the heck is the meaning of being a foodie? Is it someone who wants a five star meal, or someone who wants to stuff themselves for five people?

Some like Meat and Potatos, some like nice sauces, some care more about the cold soups, some complain the soup is cold, some say the portions are too small ( so order two of them), some care more about deserts than main course, some only care about the wine list.

" I was looking for information and input from the experts"

To ask the OP's question is to ask for opinions. Opinions bases on food preferences and taste? We know what that is worth don't we. All based on that persons HO or NSHO.

Oh yeah, my wife and I ( and many others) like Lamb Shank. Guess that is MHO:-)

Archived