Passport and excursions?

Do you take your passport with you when you go on excursions? I think I have read that some people take it with them and some people keep it in the safe.

What do you do and why?

Thanks,

Loralie

we took ours with us on all of our excursions earlier this month. If you're left behind for some reason, you're pretty much out of luck. I just carried ours in a ziploc in my purse. I did use a twist tie to "lock" my purse.

For most excursions there is greater risk bringing your passport (i.e. risk of it being lost, damaged or stolen) than benefit (generally only comes in handy in the rare event of missing the ship). The only time I bring my passport is if the excursion requires it (very rare), or if I am travelling far from port on a sightseeing (i.e. not swimming type excursion). If you keep your passport in your safe, most cruise lines try to retrieve it and leave it with the port agent should you miss the ship. Do take with you photo ID, a credit card, and your seapass (cruise ship ID card) with you in port.

We have taken a photo copy with us for years. For the most part we book our own independent tours outside of the ship. We always felt that the photo copy would be fine if we ran into trouble. On our tour in Rome we lost some of the members in our touring party at the Vatican. It took time to locate everyone and then it was a mad dash back to the ship at speeds of over 90 mph. We made it back to the ship with minutes to spare. We had credit cards to get us to the next port, but a photo copy wouldn't have been accepted by an airline. I will never leave the ship without my passport unless I am on a ship sponsored tour, and then depending on the country not sure I will leave it in the safe. A photo copy of my passport along with copies of credit cards stays in the safe. We also keep our passport numbers on separate slips of paper in a wallet.

Your seapass will get you back on the ship. A photo copy of your passport won't get you on an airline. If someone has used a photo copy to board a plane, please post so others can benifit from your expierence.

These threads are almost always split about 50/50 as to whether or not to bring the passport ashore. We never have.

If someone does miss the ship they will manage to get home, but it would obviously be easier and quicker (and maybe cheaper) with an original passport.

These threads are almost always split about 50/50 as to whether or not to bring the passport ashore. We never have.

We always do.

If someone does miss the ship they will manage to get home, but it would obviously be easier and quicker (and maybe cheaper) with an original passport.

And this why.

For those that leave it on the ship because they are afraid of losing it, do you bring your wallet/purse (with lots of important items in it) on shore with you? Are you afraid of losing that too? If you would treat your passport with the same concern as you do your wallet/purse, i.e. never let it out of your sight, then your passport would be just as safe as your wallet/purse. I don't know of a gentle way to say this so I hope I don't offend anyone but, be an adult and be responsible for keeping your passport safe when you are off the ship. You have managed to get it from your house, to the airport, on to the plane, to a pre-cruise hotel, to the ship the next day. You can't keep it safe for 6 hours while on a shore excursion?

Do you take your passport with you when you go on excursions? I think I have read that some people take it with them and some people keep it in the safe.

What do you do and why?

This question comes up often and most people feel strongly one way or the other. Those on either side of the argument seldom change the minds of those who feel the opposite way.

Some leave it in the safe..

Pro: You can't lose it while ashore.

Con: If you happen to miss the ship (injured, ill, cab gets in an accident or just plain lose track of time), you will have difficulty getting a flight to the next port or home. The difficulty is increased if it is a weekend or evening and the nearest embassy or consulate is closed. A copy may speed the process of getting a replacement passport, but it will not get you on a plane.

: It has been reported that if you are not back onboard in time, a ship employee will enter your cabin and open the safe, and if your passport is there they will leave it with the ship's agent on the pier so you can get it.

Some take it with them.

Pro: If you happen to miss the ship, you will be fully prepared to take the next available flight to a subsequent port or home.

Con: You might lose your passport while ashore.

Note: Losing your passport is a minor inconvenience that you can deal with very easily once you are back home. It is only a major problem if you ALSO miss the ship.

Count me among those who take it with them. I prefer to be prepared for any contingency, and if I'm going to take precautions to keep up with my Seapass and wallet, I figure I can take similar precautions to keep up with my passport. YMMV

For most excursions there is greater risk bringing your passport (i.e. risk of it being lost, damaged or stolen) than benefit (generally only comes in handy in the rare event of missing the ship).

Do take with you photo ID, a credit card, and your seapass (cruise ship ID card) with you in port.

Do you not think there is equal (or greater) chance of having your cash/credit card lost?? That is potentially more of an immediate hassle than losing your passport.

Do you not think there is equal (or greater) chance of having your cash/credit card lost?? That is potentially more of an immediate hassle than losing your passport.

Totally untrue. I do not bring large quantities of cash with me. If a credit card is lost or stolen it is much easier to deactivate and replace than a passport, and if reported right away there is no financial loss to me. A lost passport is more difficult to replace, costs money and there is potential that the lost or stolen passport may be put to use in a malevolent manner. Cash and credit cards are also less bulky, so easier to safely stash than a bulkier passport. If you are going on an excursion that involves swimming, then there is a much higher chance of the passport being lost of stolen as you have to separate from it - and there often is not a secure place to stash the passport while in the ocean. There is also the risk of pickpockets or robbery; just last week people on a Carnival excursion were stuck up and people had their passports stolen.

It is EXTREMELY rare one needs their passport during port calls, so it is generally far more of a risk than a benefit to bring your passport with you. By using common sense there is only a minuscule risk of missing the ship (and as I mentioned in my prior post, most cruise lines will leave your passport with the port agent if you have it in your safe) if you miss the ship. From a cost/benefit analysis the only time it makes sense to bring your passport (if not required to) is if straying far from the port and doing an excursion or activity where it is easy to keep your passport on your person at all times.

We've done both, though I have no reason for either choice.

But after reading about what happened in Mexico to the Carnival group, I think I would rather keep it safely on the ship. If I miss the ship - I'm sure they will kindly leave it and most of my belongings at the pier for me.

We do however take our photo IDs with us in port, and we will continue to do that. I'm I'm stupid enough to lose it as one poster so eloquently put it, I can replace it.

For those that leave it on the ship because they are afraid of losing it, do you bring your wallet/purse (with lots of important items in it) on shore with you? Are you afraid of losing that too? If you would treat your passport with the same concern as you do your wallet/purse, i.e. never let it out of your sight, then your passport would be just as safe as your wallet/purse. I don't know of a gentle way to say this so I hope I don't offend anyone but, be an adult and be responsible for keeping your passport safe when you are off the ship. You have managed to get it from your house, to the airport, on to the plane, to a pre-cruise hotel, to the ship the next day. You can't keep it safe for 6 hours while on a shore excursion?

I never take my wallet/purse to shore I only take some cash, my picture ID and my seapass card. I don’t want to loose anything or have it stole while in port. I am an adult and I keep my passport and other important items safe in my safe on board.

I understand why people would want to take it, but really they are kind of big, and I don’t want to carry a bunch of stuff with me. I put what I need in a water-wallet and call it done.

Gee, wondering how to do that on an excursion in which I am underwater?

If you're in a place that doesn't require them, like the Caribbean, leave it in your safe. If you're in Europe and need it, take it!

It IS required in the Caribbean if you have to fly from island to island or from an island back to the states. If you never leave the ship in the Caribbean, you will never need it. If you leave the ship, there is a chance (I will admit a small one) that you may need it.

Gee, wondering how to do that on an excursion in which I am underwater?

I am a scuba diver. I bring my passport and leave it in the boat. The captain of the dive boat will not let anything happen to your passport (or your wallet or any other personal belongings) when you are underwater.

We have brought ours with us when we left the ship in Nassau both times. When we did the dolphin swim and water park, we got lockers to store stuff in. When not in the water, ours are in a small wristlet that I carry that also has my ID, Seapass, some cash and our medical insurance card (won't risk not having that too--don't like tempting fate!). I do keep copies of the passports in the safe as well as leaving a set at home with someone in case they get lost.

Totally untrue. I do not bring large quantities of cash with me. If a credit card is lost or stolen it is much easier to deactivate and replace than a passport, and if reported right away there is no financial loss to me. A lost passport is more difficult to replace, costs money and there is potential that the lost or stolen passport may be put to use in a malevolent manner. Cash and credit cards are also less bulky, so easier to safely stash than a bulkier passport. If you are going on an excursion that involves swimming, then there is a much higher chance of the passport being lost of stolen as you have to separate from it - and there often is not a secure place to stash the passport while in the ocean. There is also the risk of pickpockets or robbery; just last week people on a Carnival excursion were stuck up and people had their passports stolen.

It is EXTREMELY rare one needs their passport during port calls, so it is generally far more of a risk than a benefit to bring your passport with you. By using common sense there is only a minuscule risk of missing the ship (and as I mentioned in my prior post, most cruise lines will leave your passport with the port agent if you have it in your safe) if you miss the ship. From a cost/benefit analysis the only time it makes sense to bring your passport (if not required to) is if straying far from the port and doing an excursion or activity where it is easy to keep your passport on your person at all times.

Totally untrue? Please. You'll note that I simply said loss of cash/credit card was potentially more of a hassle. YOU may not bring a lot of cash ashore, but potentially someone else might, if they plan to do a lot of shopping for instance. Likewise, maybe YOU can easily call and deactivate your credit card; perhaps another person's phone won't work well in port and they can't, or it is their only credit card and is needed for additional vacation/travel expenses. Everything depends on the individual's circumstances.

Depending on the amount of cash that might be lost or stolen, who's to say whether it's more difficult or more costly to replace the cash or to replace a passport? Could be either, because AGAIN- it depends on the individual circumstances.

By using common sense, there is likewise only a miniscule risk of losing one's passport. It's not THAT much bigger than cash and credit cards, for crying out loud. If you can protect your cash/credit cards, it stands to reason that you can protect your passport.

As for cost-benefit analysis, consider:

If you take it and lose it, but don't NEED it, the only cost is replacement cost.

On the other hand, if you don't take it and DO need it, you may incur a heck of a lot more expenses, most likely including a hotel and meals while you wait for a replacement passport to be issued. Will the ship staff get it to the port agent? Quite possible, but it's not a chance I'm willing to take. If you are, that's great. There is no right or wrong answer here; everyone has to determine which risks they are most comfortable with, which is why I tried to present both sides.

Not sure if it gives me a false sense of security, but I bring the passport card ashore... and leave the book in the safe

Yep, false sense of security. You can't board a plane with a passport card. The best it will do is enable a replacement passport to be issued a little quicker. A photocopy of your passport would serve the same purpose.

Archived