Bar etiquette

on the ship you need to look at it for what it actually is, not what you think it might be

the fact is these are entertainment venues that have bars. They are not bars that have entertainment. Hence, you can sit and enjoy the entertainment without ordering anything or tipping anyone you have already paid to enjoy the venue by virture of paying your cruise fare.

Please quit confusing the issue with land based bars that provide entertainment to draw in drinkers.

It's actually pretty simple.

exactly!!!

On the ship you need to look at it for what it actually is, not what you think it might be

The fact is these are entertainment venues that have bars. They are not bars that have entertainment. Hence, you can sit and enjoy the entertainment without ordering anything or tipping anyone You have already paid to enjoy the venue by virture of paying your cruise fare.

Please quit confusing the issue with land based bars that provide entertainment to draw in drinkers.

I agree. Except I think it should read stop confusing the cruise line rules with rules that don't exist.

I feel like this is another non issue created by a few select people on cruise critic that feel they can create rules to fit what they want.

I am not a drinker and I will not go into a place on a cruise ship that serves drinks and feel obligated to purchase one, alcoholic or non alcoholic. These are not land bars which some people can't grasp. We sat in olive or twist for about two hours one evening. Out of the four in our party two did order drinks. But in no way did I feel like we had to. I saw many people just relaxing listening to music, no drinks. The cruise lines says these places are open to everyone free of charge, if they wanted to make sure everyone inside paid something they would charge a cover charge.

Just like those that tell people they can't wear jeans in the mdr on non formal nights. There is even a thread about black Jack and how others get annoyed when people at a table bet a certain way. Ridiculous. Or the thread where someone said you shouldn't sit in the first few rows of the theater if you might have to leave before the show is over.People can create their own rules here all they want but I'm listening to what the cruise line says and too bad for those that don't like it.

Stop worrying about what random strangers are doing and focus on yourself and the people you are traveling with.

I think we'll just have to agree to disagree. While I'm by no means suggesting that one should let worry about others' opinions consume their trip, neither do I think that being on vacation exempts a person from being considerate. Like it or not, we expect the experience of those around us- and that we should treat everyone with whom we interact with respect.

I think we'll just have to agree to disagree. While I'm by no means suggesting that one should let worry about others' opinions consume their trip, neither do I think that being on vacation exempts a person from being considerate. Like it or not, we expect the experience of those around us- and that we should treat everyone with whom we interact with respect.

How is not purchasing a drink in a venue that doesn't require it inconsiderate? Or disrespectful? As someone else posted, which I agree with, these are not bars, but entertainment venues that have a bar. It doesn't really affect me as we don't frequent these places on the ship but I dislike that posters try to make up rules that don't exist.

How is not purchasing a drink in a venue that doesn't require it inconsiderate? Or disrespectful? As someone else posted, which I agree with, these are not bars, but entertainment venues that have a bar. It doesn't really affect me as we don't frequent these places on the ship but I dislike that posters try to make up rules that don't exist.

I don't think that is. My original post was in response to those who said things like "the servers' earning potential isn't your problem." Or those who ordered lemonade after lemonade without tipping. If you receive service (even if you're served something free), you should tip- to not do so would be inconsiderate. (I do think that in the unlikely occurrence that a non-drinker is preventing those who would otherwise patronize the bar from getting a spot, they should move on and let someone else have a chance to sit down, but like I said in my post I can't imagine this happens often. Usually there are plenty of seats.)

It was the general attitude of "It's my vacation, I can do whatever I want and to heck with everyone else" that I was reacting to.

I don't think that is. My original post was in response to those who said things like "the servers' earning potential isn't your problem." Or those who ordered lemonade after lemonade without tipping. If you receive service (even if you're served something free), you should tip- to not do so would be inconsiderate. (I do think that in the unlikely occurrence that a non-drinker is preventing those who would otherwise patronize the bar from getting a spot, they should move on and let someone else have a chance to sit down, but like I said in my post I can't imagine this happens often. Usually there are plenty of seats.)

It was the general attitude of "It's my vacation, I can do whatever I want and to heck with everyone else" that I was reacting to.

I do agree that even if you are ordering water you should tip them as they are providing a service even if it was a free drink. However I don't feel anyone is required to order anything.

I do agree that even if you are ordering water you should tip them as they are providing a service even if it was a free drink. However I don't feel anyone is required to order anything.

OK, so I do slightly disagree with you there. If it were me, I'd order something and tip accordingly, just because I think it's a nice thing to do for the server. Nothing crazy expensive, but $1 tip for a lemonade would be worth it to me if a server was kind enough to ask if I wanted anything.

Not that I think someone who wouldn't do that is terrible, it's just what I would do.

Hi - I appreciate your well written question. Just IMO, yes, you are taking up space the waiters need to make money from tips. An easy answer is to order a coke or another non-alcoholic drink and tip well. It is not necessary to drink alcohol, but the cruise line and the bar waiters depend on the revenue from the drinks to pay for the entertainment.

I would love to enjoy the entertainment in Schooners, but the smoke inside makes me sick!

Good luck and Happy Cruising!

Margee;)

So what is being said here, is that a coke drinker should not be entertained? Who cares what the waiters make in tips, it's not our business, since it's our vacation to enjoy. IMO (and no, an extra tip is not needed and no passenger should ever feel guilty of enjoying themselves)

On the ship you need to look at it for what it actually is, not what you think it might be

The fact is these are entertainment venues that have bars. They are not bars that have entertainment. Hence, you can sit and enjoy the entertainment without ordering anything or tipping anyone You have already paid to enjoy the venue by virture of paying your cruise fare.

How many hours of the day provide entainment at the Schooner Bar, in relation to how many hours it is open? If the BARS are not getting renevue, the cost of your cruise fare will increase!:rolleyes:

How many hours of the day provide entainment at the Schooner Bar, in relation to how many hours it is open? If the BARS are not getting renevue, the cost of your cruise fare will increase!:rolleyes:

You pulled that from where? Seriously? LOL. It's always been this way. As I've said 3 times now, if you think it's an issue, call RCI and ask their opinion. My guess is they'll say, the venues are there for EVERYONE to use and no one is required to buy anything or tip anyone to enjoy the entertainment. Why is this so difficult to understand? The bars get plenty of revenue, but no one is REQUIRED to buy a drink. You can sit in any seat anywhere onboard and not buy anything because your cruise fare gives you access to ALL the public spaces. It's sooooooooooooooo simple.

Do you feel you have to buy a drink in the MDR when you eat there since you're not paying for your meal? Do you feel you have to buy a drink by the pool or in the theater? By your logic, you should have to in all these locations because there are bars/bar servers in all these places.

There is no way a person can worry about tips or commissions that a waitress or salesman could be losing. If that was the case, last time I test drove a Honda at the Honda dealer I would have had to buy that car because he was wasted some of his time on me when I ended up buying a Toyota from the dealer next door. IT'S CALLED LIFE! I did not worry about his commission when I walked out not buying something. What about the shoe salesman at the local mall? You could go on and on and on.................

HOLY HANNAH!

If I could only have $20-$30 from everyone who I spent an hour+ with, showing them cars and doing test drives, and then have them leave without a purchase, I could afford a couple more cruises each year! I would have only needed to sell half as many cars a month to make a decent living. It's all simply a part of the game.

Didn't pull anything from anywhere, The Schooner Bar is a bar, call Rci and ask them!;)

It's still a venue included in your fare. Call and ask.:rolleyes:

It's very telling that NO ONE has had the nerve to call RCI and actually ask their opinion on this subject. I've said 3 times to posters to do it and no one has done it. That tells me it's all hot air.

I have not read the entire thread......but will do so with an attempt to give an honest answer to the question asked.

My question is, if we go to Schooners to enjoy the piano bar (or any other venue primarily serving alcohol), will we be bombarded by waiters asking for our drink orders. Is a polite "no thank you, I'll have a glass of water" okay, or do the servers consider you taking up valuable "space" when they could be making money off of other passengers. Of course, we would not sit directly at the bar, but at tables and chairs further away.

In my opinion.....I look at it this way. Yes.....this is valuable space. The servers, bartenders, etc look forward to a big crowd at night......therefore....big tips! If you come and take up a table and drink water....they are missing out on their 'potential tips' for the evening.

I look at it as going to a restaurant during dinner time. I wouldn't go sit at a table and get a cup of coffe and sit there for 2 hours. The servers are there to earn a buck.....and if you are going to sit in their section......tip them.

I am probably the minority here, I don't think people should go and sit and just drink water.....unless you tip the server for taking up their table.

The whole 'to tip or not to tip' has been beat to death on this board! I think it is fair to say that the employees are not paid a proper wage to justify those who do not tip......

Bottom line......if you are sitting there having someone wait on you for water or a cocktail.....tip them for their effort.

Just my thought, but they allow you to order drinks in the main show lounge, so does that mean you should't see a production show if you do not want to buy a drink? Obviously you do not need to buy a drink, so it follows it is the same thing in the other venues. IMO

Just my thought, but they allow you to order drinks in the main show lounge, so does that mean you should't see a production show if you do not want to buy a drink? Obviously you do not need to buy a drink, so it follows it is the same thing in the other venues. IMO

No.....you are sitting in a theater which has bar service to those who wish to use it while using the theater venue.

A bar is a bar. Sometimes they have entertainers, and sometimes they are just a bar. Rows of theater seating is different that intimate seating at a bar. Tables for two, four or six. Rows of seats in a main theater does not compare (in my opinion) to a bar/lounge setting.

Different views, different opinions......:)

I was thinking the same thing.

No.....you are sitting in a theater which has bar service to those who wish to use it while using the theater venue.

A bar is a bar. Sometimes they have entertainers, and sometimes they are just a bar. Rows of theater seating is different that intimate seating at a bar. Tables for two, four or six. Rows of seats in a main theater does not compare (in my opinion) to a bar/lounge setting.

Different views, different opinions......:)

So you're concerned about the servers in smaller lounges making tips but not the servers in the theater?

I have not read the entire thread......but will do so with an attempt to give an honest answer to the question asked.

My question is, if we go to Schooners to enjoy the piano bar (or any other venue primarily serving alcohol), will we be bombarded by waiters asking for our drink orders. Is a polite "no thank you, I'll have a glass of water" okay, or do the servers consider you taking up valuable "space" when they could be making money off of other passengers. Of course, we would not sit directly at the bar, but at tables and chairs further away.

In my opinion.....I look at it this way. Yes.....this is valuable space. The servers, bartenders, etc look forward to a big crowd at night......therefore....big tips! If you come and take up a table and drink water....they are missing out on their 'potential tips' for the evening.

I look at it as going to a restaurant during dinner time. I wouldn't go sit at a table and get a cup of coffe and sit there for 2 hours. The servers are there to earn a buck.....and if you are going to sit in their section......tip them.

I am probably the minority here, I don't think people should go and sit and just drink water.....unless you tip the server for taking up their table.

The whole 'to tip or not to tip' has been beat to death on this board! I think it is fair to say that the employees are not paid a proper wage to justify those who do not tip......

Bottom line......if you are sitting there having someone wait on you for water or a cocktail.....tip them for their effort.

The problem with your hypothesis is that the Schooner Bar is advertised as an entertainment venue therefore it's no different then going to the theater to watch a show. I agree if you're ordering anything from a waiter, water included, a tip is in order but the OP didn't ask that question. The OP asked if it was against etiquette not to order anything. They should be allowed to go and watch without purchasing a drink.

So you're concerned about the servers in smaller lounges making tips but not the servers in the theater?

The times I have gone into the shows in the theaters it was if a server came by and asked if we would like a drink we would get a drink. if not we would do without.

if we go to the schooner bar for a drink.....i would hope we could get a drink in there.

The times I have gone into the shows in the theaters it was if a server came by and asked if we would like a drink we would get a drink. if not we would do without.

if we go to the schooner bar for a drink.....i would hope we could get a drink in there.

:confused:

I'm not quite sure what that has to do with the price of tea in China but...I have gone to the Schooner Bar on many afternoons to play trivia. It is an entertainment venue and a bar.

If there is any hot air around, I know where it's commong from!:rolleyes:

Wow, that stings. Seriously? Sounds like someone can't come up with a better argument to me.

Feel free to tip everyone you run into.:rolleyes: Since, obviously no one who thinks it's bad etiquette has bothered to call and ask.

OP asked if its' an etiquette issue to sit there and not drink. Answer is no, it's not an etiquette issue.

I'm heading off now to board Enchantment and I'll be sitting in the entertainment venues, sometimes drinking and sometimes not, but I will be using the space paid for in my fare. See you in 9 days LOL.

Archived