Bar etiquette

....and never, ever did I look at a person not ordering and think they were taking up valuable space or taking money out of my pocket. That's seriously an elitist attitude.

Just suppose, you went to work as a waitress. And in came a large group that took up every seat in the establishment. And none of them ordered a thing, and you wound up putting in 6 hours, and recieved not one tip.

It's not you're responsibility to worry about the waiters earning potential while taking a cruise. You're responsibility is to have a good time and tip accordingly for service you receive. If you want to sit in the Schooner Bar and listen to the piano, you are under no obligation to purchase alcohol. I'm sure people like me make up for people like you when purchasing alcohol.;)

Exactly, well said.

Forgot to mention that when I was a DJ, I worked on a certain percentage of how the bar did on selling drinks.

I had some bad nights where I hardly made anything. Then I had big nights and everything evened out

Sometime the bar manager thought I made too much in a week since there were big nights.

This was a hotel club and everybody drank something

actually this is where I REFUSE to buy drinks.. unless I bring it in myself after stopping by the bar on my way in.. because each and every time we have ordered something from the wandering Minstrels, we NEVER actually get them.. at any point before or during the show. all it it took was being charged 2 separate times for drinks we never received for us to not bother any more.

but having to stand in line a GS for anywhere from 10 minutes to 45, only to be told it would be a day before they could verify our claim .. yeah we learned fast. good thing we actually check our statements daily....

I don't get this. Each time we order from a wandering server, we have to give our seapass when ordering. Are you saying your drink order and your seapass never came back, and you were charged....twice?

In Philadelphia, you might get shot.

Lots of things will get you shot in Philadelphia!

Just suppose, you went to work as a waitress. And in came a large group that took up every seat in the establishment. And none of them ordered a thing, and you wound up putting in 6 hours, and recieved not one tip.

Sounds like an easy, albeit unprofitable, night. After the initial round of seeing if anyone wants anything, all she has to do is stand up front every 20 minutes, call out "Anyone want anything? No? OK!", then go back and chill in the kitchen with the similarly un-busy cooks. :D

What!!!!! If anyone on this thread has never been to a bar besides on a ship, please chime in on this one.

I don't think I've ever been to a bar on land, because I don't drink. So I may be off base here. But in the case where there is a musical performance in a bar or night club, doesn't paying the cover charge entitle you to a seat in the building, even if you don't drink a thing? If so, then when you're on a ship, the cruise fare IS the cover charge, and a paying customer is entitled to sit and enjoy the music.

I will grant that it would be bad form to sit at the bar itself if you're not going to drink. I liken that to camping out in the toilet stall if you're not going to . . . well, you know. But I would have no compunction about sitting at a table.

My husband and I only drink soda/pop and we have spent many evenings in the lounges sipping on the one and only soda we ordered.

Never did I feel that the waiter was anything but professional, we were always treated the same as a table that placed orders for drinks once or twice an hour.

I remember one thing about being a DJ in a club=I always had to announce not to forget your bartenders and waitresses to get a tip.

I doubt many listened to the announcement and just wanted to hear music

There's no requirement to consume alcohol in any bar on the ship. You can have a soda, tea, water, whatever they serve. Lots of people go sit in the bars and read a book without ordering anything.

Now, if I had the waiter bring me water, I'd give him a buck for his effort. But I wouldn't feel obligated to order anything at all. As if that's ever happened...:p

So what about the single person taking up a whole booth at a restaurant only ordering an appetizer?

I am a family of four who would order four meals and leave a great tip if the service was good.

Does that mean I should have the booth over the single person only ordering an appetizer? More than likely the wait staff would be getting a better tip from me? NO!!!

My daughter makes her living as waitress, she has a single lady who comes in everyday and leaves her 50 cents for a tip. She very much enjoys her company. She said mom, I would rather wait on this very sweet lady then a big group who would leave a great tip. Sometimes it's not all about the money. Also I asked a friend who was a waitress in a bar. She said she enjoys a nice sober person every now and then. That's just luck of the draw. There is no way a person can worry about tips or commissions that a waitress or salesman could be losing. If that was the case, last time I test drove a Honda at the Honda dealer I would have had to buy that car because he was wasted some of his time on me when I ended up buying a Toyota from the dealer next door. IT'S CALLED LIFE! I did not worry about his commission when I walked out not buying something. What about the shoe salesman at the local mall? You could go on and on and on.................

I am LOL at this topic! I drink on cruises but not excessively. I don't have gigantic bar bill at the end. But if I pay 2 or 3 thousand dollars for a cruise, you mean to tell me that I can't enjoy the entertainment in the lounges and bars if I didn't drink??? Puuulese! Altough I drink there have been times where I didn't want a drink, like getting a seat in the Crown Viking lounge by the windows and enjoying the view! I might sit there an hour. I have been to bars and clubs on land that have a cover charge to get in and had friends who went along that don't drink and don't order water or anything, just there to party and it's no problem because they "Paid" to get in. When I spend what I spend for a cruise, I am going to venture into any lounge or bar that I want on the ship be it if I order drinks or not! A lot of times I walk up to the bar and order my drink and then go and find a seat and the server can catch me on the next one if I order another. The theater has a bar in the back and they walking around taking drink orders. I guess non alcohol drinking people be taking up the seats of people in there also who would otherwise be ordering drinks and tipping. Should I leave a tip there when I depart for taking up that seat????

If this was a typical evening for this establishment, I would GET ANOTHER JOB...not expect the patrons to give me $$ for doing NOTHING!

I find another job.

I am LOL at this topic! I drink on cruises but not excessively. I don't have gigantic bar bill at the end. But if I pay 2 or 3 thousand dollars for a cruise, you mean to tell me that I can't enjoy the entertainment in the lounges and bars if I didn't drink??? Puuulese! Altough I drink there have been times where I didn't want a drink, like getting a seat in the Crown Viking lounge by the windows and enjoying the view! I might sit there an hour. I have been to bars and clubs on land that have a cover charge to get in and had friends who went along that don't drink and don't order water or anything, just there to party and it's no problem because they "Paid" to get in. When I spend what I spend for a cruise, I am going to venture into any lounge or bar that I want on the ship be it if I order drinks or not! A lot of times I walk up to the bar and order my drink and then go and find a seat and the server can catch me on the next one if I order another. The theater has a bar in the back and they walking around taking drink orders. I guess non alcohol drinking people be taking up the seats of people in there also who would otherwise be ordering drinks and tipping. Should I leave a tip there when I depart for taking up that seat????

Agree on all points. This sums it up quite well!

It's not you're responsibility to worry about the waiters earning potential while taking a cruise. You're responsibility is to have a good time and tip accordingly for service you receive. If you want to sit in the Schooner Bar and listen to the piano, you are under no obligation to purchase alcohol. I'm sure people like me make up for people like you when purchasing alcohol.;)

Here here!!! Low wages for staff are not your problem, you have paid in full for your cruise before your bum hits a seat anywhere!!!!

And hold up a minute. Isn't a 15% gratuity added for each time they swipe that card be it alcohol or soft drinks???? So I have to tip the servers in addition to the 15% each time I order a drink?? Heck I would just walk up to the bar each time if that is the case!

I don't get this. Each time we order from a wandering server, we have to give our seapass when ordering. Are you saying your drink order and your seapass never came back, and you were charged....twice?

nope. only charged once.. but never actually received the drinks. they wrote down the cabin number or something. we never received a voucher to sign, either, so when we noticed the charge we went to Guest Services. Like I said it took a day or so but they were able to verify that we never actually signed as having received the items. the card never left our possession.

this ONLY happened in the theater. at the pools and lounges this was never an issue. we signed for the items when they arrived.

last I heard, you all in Texas don't have any etiquette of any kind, did it change?:)

I am sure you are kidding right? Texas actually is a very friendly, well mannered place.

Anyway, I will say that there is an etiquette at bars in Texas as well. At a restaurant if you are not ordering drinks you sit in the waiting area. I hate when a family with a bunch of kids is sitting at the bar taking up 5 seats and not ordering. At a bar you would be expected to order a drink however many bars provide free sodas to the designated driver. This is a big push here and you can not refuse a breathilizer anymore which is a great. At amusic venue the cover can be as much as $25 and at that point the place is packed and there is no need to order a drink as sometimes it is even an immposibility as the servers are so busy. Anyway I think there are social norms. On a cruise I think it is fine to sit at a table but not at the actual bar. I drink dh does not so we usually find a table. We usually don't hang at the schooner though and are usually at the disco late night.

I really think most of these "hot topic" issues would be resolved if we all just kept the idea of being respectful of other people in mind.

In a bar, one should be respectful of others:

-tipping servers for their services, regardless of if the drink they bring you is added-cost (and in this case, a 15% tip is automatically charged) or free (you'll want to tip a small amount in cash).

-Not filling a seat if you can see that those who would otherwise pay for drinks do not have a place to sit (I don't think this case happens much- usually there are plenty of seats for those who would like to just enjoy entertainment and those who run up a pricey bar tab- and everyone in between)

At the pool, one should be respectful of others:

- by not "reserving" space until you actually need it and

-only taking up the space you actually need (ie, if your family of 6 is going to the pool but the kids will be in the water the entire time, maybe you don't need 6 chairs for all of your stuff, when 2 or 3 would suffice).

With service personnel, one should be respectful of their efforts:

-by adhering to the pay structure of the company, and tipping according to suggested guidelines, adjusted to reflect the level of service received. (at your job, if you do the expected amount of work, you still get paid- you don't only get paid if you work above and beyond, but in that case you may receive a bonus or some other supplemental compensation).

In the dining room, one should be respectful of other guests and the atmosphere the staff works hard to maintain:

-by adhering to the minimum dress code guidelines

Just remember that the other people on the ship- staff, crew, and other cruisers- are people worthy of respect, and that while it is your vacation, you should still behave like a decent human being with respect to those around you, you'll be fine.

FTR, I think that if the OP is thinking to ask this question, she probably has nothing to worry about.

On the ship you need to look at it for what it actually is, not what you think it might be

The fact is these are entertainment venues that have bars. They are not bars that have entertainment. Hence, you can sit and enjoy the entertainment without ordering anything or tipping anyone You have already paid to enjoy the venue by virture of paying your cruise fare.

Please quit confusing the issue with land based bars that provide entertainment to draw in drinkers.

It's actually pretty simple.

For the OP so much of this is just nonsense. They should just go & enjoy the show & not worry about it. It is nice that they are considering others, but really, they don't need to worry about it at all.

Most of the lounges have the same entertainers every night, if you can't get in because it's full, come back the next night. Chances are, there will be plenty of seats and you will enjoy the same/similar performance. This has happened on virtually every one of my cruises. So no worries!

I really can't understand why this topic has generated so many posts.

Smooth sailings to all.

I really think most of these "hot topic" issues would be resolved if we all just kept the idea of being respectful of other people in mind.

In a bar, one should be respectful of others:

-tipping servers for their services, regardless of if the drink they bring you is added-cost (and in this case, a 15% tip is automatically charged) or free (you'll want to tip a small amount in cash).

-Not filling a seat if you can see that those who would otherwise pay for drinks do not have a place to sit (I don't think this case happens much- usually there are plenty of seats for those who would like to just enjoy entertainment and those who run up a pricey bar tab- and everyone in between)

At the pool, one should be respectful of others:

- by not "reserving" space until you actually need it and

-only taking up the space you actually need (ie, if your family of 6 is going to the pool but the kids will be in the water the entire time, maybe you don't need 6 chairs for all of your stuff, when 2 or 3 would suffice).

With service personnel, one should be respectful of their efforts:

-by adhering to the pay structure of the company, and tipping according to suggested guidelines, adjusted to reflect the level of service received. (at your job, if you do the expected amount of work, you still get paid- you don't only get paid if you work above and beyond, but in that case you may receive a bonus or some other supplemental compensation).

In the dining room, one should be respectful of other guests and the atmosphere the staff works hard to maintain:

-by adhering to the minimum dress code guidelines

Just remember that the other people on the ship- staff, crew, and other cruisers- are people worthy of respect, and that while it is your vacation, you should still behave like a decent human being with respect to those around you, you'll be fine.

FTR, I think that if the OP is thinking to ask this question, she probably has nothing to worry about.

I feel like this is another non issue created by a few select people on cruise critic that feel they can create rules to fit what they want.

I am not a drinker and I will not go into a place on a cruise ship that serves drinks and feel obligated to purchase one, alcoholic or non alcoholic. These are not land bars which some people can't grasp. We sat in olive or twist for about two hours one evening. Out of the four in our party two did order drinks. But in no way did I feel like we had to. I saw many people just relaxing listening to music, no drinks. The cruise lines says these places are open to everyone free of charge, if they wanted to make sure everyone inside paid something they would charge a cover charge.

Just like those that tell people they can't wear jeans in the mdr on non formal nights. There is even a thread about black Jack and how others get annoyed when people at a table bet a certain way. Ridiculous. Or the thread where someone said you shouldn't sit in the first few rows of the theater if you might have to leave before the show is over.People can create their own rules here all they want but I'm listening to what the cruise line says and too bad for those that don't like it.

Stop worrying about what random strangers are doing and focus on yourself and the people you are traveling with.

Archived