Thomson Destiny's gone!?!?!

Just been on the Thomson website. Just doing some pricing up. Thomson Destiny now isn't appearing on any search results for this summer or winter cruises!

Bearing in mind comments on other threads, looks like Thomson Majesty may begin sailing this May, as was mentioned on quite a lot of other articles and threads. Maybe we'll get some news tomorrow.

Anyone else able to book any Thomson Destiny cruises after its winter cruises. Its positioning cruise (Atlantic Sunrise) also gone! Nothing for May onwards? :confused:

I had a phone call from our local Thomson branch today to say that our cruise due to sail on the Destiny on 18th May is being transferred to the Majesty.

My TA said they'd been given the cabin swaps - which ones would be equivalents - also said that people would be given the opportunity to cancel if they wished (at least I think that's right - I was reeling trying to take it all in! :D )

Don't know how they're going to transfer the cabin categories as they are so different. I wonder if this will affect your price? Have to let us know tomorrow.

Saying bye to Destiny's Lido Cafe is good, but have you seen Majesty's replacement. It's so small!! Doesn't look big enough for the size of the ship. Also, two dining rooms. I wonder if it will be set dining times like on Destiny or not? If it was, I guess you'd be allocated one of the dining rooms.

Going to open dining apparently.

My TA said they'd been given the cabin swaps - which ones would be equivalents - also said that people would be given the opportunity to cancel if they wished (at least I think that's right - I was reeling trying to take it all in! :D )

Glad they've been given a chance to cancel as it is a big change. The Grand Suites on Destiny definitely don't match up to anything on Majesty though!

At least this explains the omission of Thomson Destiny in the preview itineraries for next summer. Lets hope there could be another ship for next year after they did say they were looking at expansion! :)

Going to open dining apparently.

Good as I think this was one of the main downsides of Thomson Destiny. Never liked being told when we could dine in the main restaurant :). With four restaurants to choose from on Majesty I suppose it makes more sense to make it open dining.

I am due to go on Destiny in May, i havent heard anything from travel agent. Why is this happening?

Don't know exactly why, but I think it's mainly because Thomson Destiny often has complaints regarding the sizes of cabins, open area buffet and the fact that it has fixed dining. Thomson Majesty also isn't as old as Destiny.

I would guess you will be told by your travel agent tomorrow. If not, I would get in touch with them, as it seems that all Thomson and First Choice agents have all had the information regarding the changes and Thomson Majesty today.

Keep checking the Thomson Cruises website aswell, as information regarding the ship should be posted tomorrow apparantely.

I'm guessing most of the staff will transfer, as it's still all under Louis Cruises operation. According to wikipedia, more staff needed for Majesty too.

I will ask around when i go on the Destiny . What gets me is the improvements that they did on the Destiny .

who paid for them Thomson or the ship owners ? :confused:

Just found some info on Majesty when she was NCL re cabin sizes

Owners suite - 374 sq ft

suite - 235

superior oceanview - 145

oceanview - 108

superior inside - 145

inside - 108

tiny but still OK for solo cruisers

Im booked to go on the adriatic explorer on the Destiny June 1st its my 40th birthday cruise and we have paid over £1000 each and pre booked a cabin so Im not going to be happy if its a down grade of a ship and cabin . we chose this cruise as its the only one that goes the week of the 1st so cant re book a different cruise or go a different time. If it is true I shall be straight on the phone to Thompson

I will ask around when i go on the Destiny . What gets me is the improvements that they did on the Destiny .

who paid for them Thomson or the ship owners ? :confused:

Must had been Louis. I suppose if they knew they were taking the ship back they probably improved it a bit. There was an article published last week about Louis Cruises and how they were making losses:

http://www.travelweekly.com/Cruise-Travel/Louis-Cruises-parent-posts-$82M-loss-for-2011/

Says they are going to restructure its fleet. I wouldn't be surprised whether the sale of Thomson Destiny might be a start to this. Probably will get quite a bit of money for it as in the end the ship itself is in good nick. Would explain why they were doing parts of the ship up to sell it on.

Definitely Majesty being sold on Thomson's site this morning - at least from June onwards. Will be interesting to see how this all unravels!!

May be popular - but then again there are apparently changes (not least of all to the entertainment) which could be a real negative to some. Also perhaps with previous experiences with both Celebration and Dream when they first came into service, people may be reluctant to 'go for it' until they see how the early reviews go! Certainly with a new crew trying to establish procedures and routines it could be a bit chaotic at the beginning. Let's hope they do lots of practice and a dry run before the first lot of paying passengers! :rolleyes:

No deck plans as of yet on the main ship information, but if you do a mock booking, you can view the deck plans that way.

Cabins are: Suite, Junior Suite, Outside Plus, Inside Plus, Outside, Inside.

Think you were right about the entertainment kruzseeka. The main Jubilee Lounge seems to suggest singers, but no Broadway-style shows. Don't think that will go down well.

Noticed no mention of the ship being 'new' at all. Must have learnt their lessons. :D

Says the cabins are modern and well-dressed! Not with that bedding! :D

Snap! You can tell we're keen to check it out, Sailaway!!!:D:D

It DOES look as though the showteam as we know it isn't part of the package then!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek::eek: From the ship details on Sailaway's link:

Jubilee Lounge: The main lounge brings you performances from the Thomson Majesty singers and top UK guest acts, plus game shows, live band sets and late-night discos.

Really, really not happy about that! Big cost-cutter for Thomson and a big turn-off in my book. When you see how popular the shows are (always full in the showlounge for two shows each night!) I think they are so much part of what people expect from Thomson that it may back-fire. I will be looking more actively at other cruise lines now as the entertainment was the one thing Thomson always had which was better than the rest. Just hope this trend isn't rolled out across the fleet!!!

I had some concerns a few weeks back when we started talking about Majesty and I had a look at the ship details. When I read that the theatre (Jubilee Lounge) only seated about one third of the passenger load that they may have problems with getting people in - perhaps their answer is to put on something which hasn't the same attraction so fewer will want to go! :eek:

It's more like a cocktail lounge than theatre so I wondered if they'd rip out some of the seating towards the back and put in cinema style seats (like the Dream) so that they could accommodate more people. But apparently not - or if so, it's not to see the shows!!!!

I think this could be a compromise in acquiring the Majesty that Thomson may come to regret - and I for one as a regular traveller with Thomson regret it with a passion! Concerto style shows are good - but one per week is enough for me - not the mainstay of their provision! :mad:

Snap! You can tell we're keen to check it out, Sailaway!!!

It DOES look as though the showteam as we know it isn't part of the package then!!!!!!!!!!!!!! From the ship details on Sailaway's link:

Jubilee Lounge: The main lounge brings you performances from the Thomson Majesty singers and top UK guest acts, plus game shows, live band sets and late-night discos.

Really, really not happy about that! Big cost-cutter for Thomson and a big turn-off in my book. When you see how popular the shows are (always full in the showlounge for two shows each night!) I think they are so much part of what people expect from Thomson that it may back-fire. I will be looking more actively at other cruise lines now as the entertainment was the one thing Thomson always had which was better than the rest. Just hope this trend isn't rolled out across the fleet!!!

I had some concerns a few weeks back when we started talking about Majesty and I had a look at the ship details. When I read that the theatre (Jubilee Lounge) only seated about one third of the passenger load that they may have problems with getting people in - perhaps their answer is to put on something which hasn't the same attraction so fewer will want to go! :eek:

It's more like a cocktail lounge than theatre so I wondered if they'd rip out some of the seating towards the back and put in cinema style seats (like the Dream) so that they could accommodate more people. But apparently not - or if so, it's not to see the shows!!!!

I think this could be a compromise in acquiring the Majesty that Thomson may come to regret - and I for one as a regular traveller with Thomson regret it with a passion! Concerto style shows are good - but one per week is enough for me - not the mainstay of their provision! :mad:

Agree with everything you say kruzseeka!!!

I think Majesty is a step-back for Thomson. I know I'm not the biggest fan of Destiny compared to the rest of the fleet, but looking at Majesty, I'd take a cruise on Destiny any day over this.

Can't believe this change in the entertainment onboard it when, only a couple of weeks ago, Thomson were being praised about winning awards for its entertainment and shows. If I recall, wasn't Destiny in the top 5?

The cabins are smaller than Destiny, which I never thought was possible, and the buffet at the top of the ship looks very small. Think I'd rather the outside Lido Cafe on Destiny!

I think Thomson have kind of thought as this ship is newer (10 years younger than Destiny) it is better. Dependant on reviews for May/June, I don't think I'd try this ship, purely based on the shows mainly, as I think there Broadway-style shows are a highlight of the cruise.

It's a shame as would love to do Adriatic Explorer itinerary again, but don't think I'd try this ship. Maybe we should reserve judgement until the first reviews come in. :)

Anyway, bye bye Thomson Destiny! :(

You're thinking exactly the same way I am Sailaway about the shows. Could be a big mistake - i'm starting a thread specifically on the entertainment to see how others are reacting to it.

Good idea kruzseeka! Perhaps add a poll. Not had one of those on here from what I know?

Hopefully i won't regret Destiny leaving. For me the new open seating dining arrangement are a minus as I preferred fixed sittings as a solo cruiser. With open dining I would not bother with formal nights.

The cabin categories are confusing as the new cabin listings are logical but if you check out the images they ment ion inside and outside singles?

There are no sign of these on the deck plans so I am a bit concerned because a big plus for me was the ability to avoid being relegated to noisy single cabins back by the engines. On destiny I had booked 3133 on deck 3 starboard midships so i will be expecting a cabin on deck 4 in a similar area.

Lack of shows does not overly concern me but I can see it would upset many.

A good point is there is a Horizon type bar with entertainment.

I suppose that there will be weeks of confusion but hopefully the TA will contact me. This is a major change of ship and I would expect the option to cancel with a full refund if i don't get a satisfactory cabin.

Translated:from german>

Louis Cruises is getting a new ship, the "Louis Olympics." Exchanged for the Cypriot shipping company ships to Thomson Cruises: The Louis Majesty is chartered to the British cruise line Thomson Cruises, Louis Cruises takes it on 11 May 2012, the former Thomson Destiny, which was chartered in 2005 to Louis Cruises Thomson. The ship will travel with Louis Cruises under the name "Louis Olympics."

Cristal Louis and Louis will continue Olympia 3 - and 7-night run cruises from Piraeus to Istanbul -, 4. Louis Cruises to focus even more strongly than before on routes in the eastern Mediterranean, with a strong emphasis on Greece and Turkey.

The Louis Majesty is better for the longer 7 - and 14-night cruises suitable, offering the Thomson Cruises mainly, shared with Louis Cruises as the reason for the change. The Louis Olympics, however fit better with the shorter routes of Louis Cruises.

The Olympic Louis has 9 passenger decks and can accommodate up to 1664 passengers in 725 cabins. 419 of the cabins are outside cabins, of the 21 suites aboard, nine have a balcony. The ship was originally built in 1982 in Finland as "Song of America" ​​for Royal Caribbean and it is ten years older than Louis Majesty. The ship was 1999-2004 as the "Thunderbird" for Sun Cruises before she went to Louis Cruises and chartered to Thomson Cruises since 2005, was where she went under the name Thomson Destiny.

Louis Majesty: ex Royal Majesty, ex Norwegian Majesty

End of July 2011 had been the Louis Cruises Winter 2011/12 season, the Louis Majesty canceled - for reasons of economy, as it was called. According to the former plans, the Louis Majesty again from mid-March, short cruises take in the Aegean. Since then has been repeated speculation about a sale of the ship.

Louis Cruises Louis Majesty had taken over in 2009 by Norwegian Cruise Line, which operated the ship from 1997 to 2009 as the Norwegian Majesty. 2010, the Louis Majesty caused a sad headlines when she was hit by a giant wave in the Mediterranean and two passengers died in the accident.

The ship was originally called Birka Birka Line for the Queen in the shipyard in Turku, Wärtsilä Marine commissioned, but in the end of the Kvaerner Masa-Yards festiggestellt and 1992 was baptized by Majesty Cruise Line and Royal Majesty. In 1997 the ship was sold to Norwegian Cruise Line and has been extended in the Bremerhaven shipyard Lloyd by nearly 34 meters.

What is the name given to the Louis Majesty, Thomson Cruises, is not yet known. Speculation is the obvious name "Thomson Majesty."

We are booked on destiny for Adriatic explorer and pearls of the aegean in September back to back. Our friends booked through thomsons and have just been told, we booked through an independent and they don' t know yet. Wondering how they are going to handle the logistics really. We have pre booked our cabin in order to get a picture window and got all inclusive. Surely the cabins can't be worse than destiny? I will be wanting like for like or it will end in tears!

Soooo pleased we hadn't yet booked the Destiny for Adriatic Explorer b2b with Pearls of the Aegean yet. We would have been so very disappointed now. We only hesitated because of the comments on this forum about the Majesty and we really don't like Louis much anyway. Thanks folks!

Archived