Destiny >>> Sunshine Deck by Deck visual comparison

PaulMedik

Serenity is facing the pointy end of the ship and Waterworks and the Kids clubs are at the opposite end. The big screen is in between.

Being 3 decks tall + wind should help cut down on the noisy factors and the white noise from the waterfall should help eliminate most of what is left.

I think it is brilliant AND serene.

Sargent_Schultz,

Nope. One would perhaps think Serenity would be facing the pointy end, but it's facing the big screen;

BigScreenfacingSerenity-vi.jpg

I don't think there's enough white noise in a hurricane to cut down the noise from the big screen's audio system since it will be aimed directly at Serenity.

Brilliant and Serene? It will require significant modification of current programing on the big screen to be remotely serene so where's the brilliance in that? I do agree that it's a brilliant idea that is poorly thought out at this point. Perhaps if they were to subdue the big screen programming significantly and eliminate live bands or at least lively live bands from mid ship lido then it will work. I am curious as to how the lively area around the midship pool will integrate with the proximity to the Serenity area; they tend to broadcast live on the big screen as the party goes on and how serene will that broadcast be for the Serenity lounge crowd?

Like I mentioned earlier, I think I will personally will like it.

.......................The Serenity area is supposed to be in the serene part of the ship.

Based on the deck plans, the Serenity area is right where the action normally is. I don't see them moving all of the adult mid day / afternoon action from Lido in front of the big screen back to the Splash Zone. Do you?

Does anyone know if they are going to make the AFT facing cabins more private? My first and only trip on the Destiny we were AFT but the slanted balcony dividers made for almost no privacy. I did not realize that the Sunshine was the old Destiny and booked the same cabin for Summer 2013. I have loads of time to change of course but I loved the intineray. I am not a huge fan of the balcony size on CCL which is why I have booked both AFT and CORNER AFT. Any insight is appreciated. Donna

More passengers and less dining space? Did I see that correctly?

I'm guessing they will up the seating density by adding more booths and such but it is still disappointing. My understanding is that anytime dinning has resulting in more people in the buffet for dinner, at least that space is being expanded.

To the OP, this is fantastic, thanks!

Now there already 2 carnival ships that are same size as destiny with more cabins: Triumph and Victory. If you want to guess how crowded the ship is going to be you have to think of those ships +250 passengers.

I'm on the fence on deck space. Personally I'm not a fan of the current rear pool as it really feels more like a couple of rows of loungers in the midst of restaurant. I'll miss the indoor option, but I have to think waterworks will be more used and frankly more fun. Also destiny didn't have much deck space front and forward (something victory and triumph fixed) making it the serenity area should up it's use (that top deck seemed awfully isolated from the activity of the ship.

With the theater you're losing losing whole bottom floor, the middle section is moving up one level and only the seats under the balcony are going. That said it looks like they are adding a "thrust stage" that will take up more room.

Loss of the rear 3 lounges is not the end of the world. My experience is the smaller lounges are under used (everyone forgets they are there) and on my last couple of cruises the the rear lounge was only used for karaoke. Also until we see what's going on the promenade and where the upper deck of the middle restaurant is now I'll hold off judgement. It does look like the promenade is going away, replaced by the central hallway, that would free up a lot of space for a new bar if you imagined the promenade seats rounded up closer together.

The loss of the upper deck of the middle restaurant is likely not the end of the world. With anytime dinning more passengers were opting for the buffet anyways. Anytime dinning on Carnival has not been the same as other cruise lines, and there are so many new free and paid dinning options the lido deck is a real option.

BTW I've been to a Guys Burger Joint in DC. I have no idea what's in there but those burgers taste REALLY good, shockingly so. Nice add Carnival!

I see a couple of lost opportunities. There are inside cabins on deck 10 backing onto the pool area. Add a door and you have Carnival's first "cabana cabins." They would be loud and noisy, but so would the passengers that are likely to book them. Course I'm not entirely sure the people in a spa cabins across the hall want party people on the other side. The new cabins on deck three could have doors a-la Holland America's "Lanai" cabins that are (for reasons I don't get) surprisingly popular.

However I have to agree with many that this is a lot of new cabins taking up a lot of public space and I'm not sure how it will work. It will be crowded I think, but perhaps not unreasonably so.

I don't think I'd be tempted to book this ship prior to the reviews to see how it works. But Carnival must have done it's homework, counted deck chairs, places to sit, what occupancy of public rooks is like on the current ships, etc. I doubt this is unabridged greed at the expense of passengers, I think it's optimizing what they got.

I doubt this is unabridged greed at the expense of passengers, I think it's optimizing what they got.

This is an attempt to increase profitability on an existing ship. I think CCL sees this as experiment to see how much more $ they can make by over crowding a ship and how much a decrease in cruise quality a CCL will take before saying "never again!".

If internal goals are met, expect other ships to get a similar "sunshine" makeover.

This is an attempt to increase profitability on an existing ship. I think CCL sees this as experiment to see how much more $ they can make by over crowding a ship and how much a decrease in cruise quality a CCL will take before saying "never again!".

If internal goals are met, expect other ships to get a similar "sunshine" makeover.

Which cruise lines don't want more profit per ship?

Wow - Just got off the Destiny today and it was SO crowded already. The lines for food were ridiculous on the Lido Deck as it was. There were never any chairs available on the deck - (although thanks to the suggestions in a previous post, I do have a brand new Carnival beach towel that someone "forgot" on the deck)

I can't imagine that ship with more people on it!

I won't be one of the first to sail this ship, so I look forward to lots of reviews before I make my decision. I really hope that the reviews are positive, though, because a nice ship within a 4 hour driving distance would be really really nice.

I won't be one of the first to sail this ship, so I look forward to lots of reviews before I make my decision. I really hope that the reviews are positive, though, because a nice ship within a 4 hour driving distance would be really really nice.

The sad part is it will be the only game in town. It will appear more popular then it is because if you want a week long cruise out of NOLA it will be your only Carnival choice.

The sad part is it will be the only game in town. It will appear more popular then it is because if you want a week long cruise out of NOLA it will be your only Carnival choice.

Yeah, I was hoping to try the Conquest someday and them putting that one in Miami put it JUST out of reach. I guess I could do one out of there someday, but it would take two days just to drive there. I am just really hoping the Sunshine ends up being better than people think. At least I am going to get a balcony if I sail her. If nothing else, I will have some privacy there. Besides, I don't have much to compare it to. My cruising history is minimal and I have only been on the two oldest ships in the fleet. I may think that the Sunshine is just the best thing ever.

• 4 weeks later...
Besides, I don't have much to compare it to. My cruising history is minimal and I have only been on the two oldest ships in the fleet. I may think that the Sunshine is just the best thing ever.

Hmmm...Great point MrsZee!!! It just MAY seem like the best thing ever. ;) Sounds about right 4 MOST fairly newer cruisers, like myself!!! Just SOOOO HAPPY 2 be on another floating vacation. :D Time will tell...

Hmmm...Great point MrsZee!!! It just MAY seem like the best thing ever. ;) Sounds about right 4 MOST fairly newer cruisers, like myself!!! Just SOOOO HAPPY 2 be on another floating vacation. :D Time will tell...

I was talking to my husband the other day about it and we realized that we felt crowded all the time when we were on the Holiday and the Fantasy. There was never a chair around the pool or in the serenity deck (Fantasy), you had to get to the theater early to be able to get a decent seat, the lines at the lido were always at least 5-10 minutes and the Mongolian Wok was usually around 15-20 mins. We never batted an eye at it though, we just figured that's what cruising was like.

I just can't imagine the Sunshine being a whole lot worse. I guess I am glad I don't have one of the bigger, roomier ships to compare it to so I can still be excited that a ship with all the bells and whistles is porting so close to me.

Serenity in Carnival Sunshine will be BIG, 3 decks, and away from waterworks and the kiddie clubs.

550117_213952598705239_100002715008739_298911_504423217_n.jpg

that picture must be a fake.

a real carnival ship would have towels on all those chairs.

the only thing accurate is all the missing people.

• 1 month later...
While I like the Serenity Deck changes and agree with others that more passengers isn't a good idea, I have to say I won't miss the aft lounge and bars since there's two more aft wraps that will be closer to the waterline. :) Many assume the two new Captain's suites will be the most coveted, but if given a choice I'd choose aft wrap.

SunshineDeck5AftWraps-vi.jpg

I just booked 5340 for the cruise out of Barcelona on 18th August 2013. There will be my wife and 2 kids and the room and balcony both look very sizeable but at a price a fair bit cheaper than any suites. I'm glad it's not just me who thinks this looks like a prime location. :)

This will be our 5th cruise, but first Carnival. We did a couple of the ports 2 weeks ago on Splendour of the Seas so we'll probably spend the port time in Dubrovnik and Venice taking advantage of the facilities while people are ashore. The children love the kids clubs, we're happy just to chill, take in the odd show and drink some cocktails. With our big balcony we'll never be short of somewhere to sit!

• 1 month later...

Archived