Destiny >>> Sunshine Deck by Deck visual comparison

PaulMedik

Deck 3 - The lower level of the show lounge is removed and transformed into 40 cabins. The rest of Deck 3 is relatively unchanged. The lower level of each dining room is still in place, with the galley in between and no way to walk through from fore to aft.

Deck 4 - What used to be a balcony level of the show lounge is now the lower level and a bar has been added. How this will accommodate even 1/3 of the passengers is anyone's guess?

Unfortunately the secondary show lounge (Criterion Lounge) has been removed completely and in it's place are 50 cabins. How the ship will function with a much smaller show lounge and no secondary show lounge remains to be seen.

What is more concerning is the elimination of a lot of interior public lounge space that the ship enjoys now, that will soon be cabins.

I guess time will tell how it all works out, but it appears the primary motive of this redesign was to add cabins with hopes the remaining public space will absorb all the passengers. I'm guessing the evening shows on CARNIVAL SUNSHINE will be a new concept since there is no longer an aft show lounge, and the main show lounge is substantially smaller and will no longer accommodate almost 1/2 the ship's population like it used to.

The elimination of the upper level of the midship dining room also means that Carnival expects more passengers to dine in the speciality restaurants and buffet. The main dining rooms will no longer be able to accommodate 1/2 the ship's passenger compliment per seating like they used to. I would expect to see an expansion of Your Time Dining.

Ernie

In my personal experiences on Destiny, Spirit, and Splendor, the lounge has not ever been more than 60% full during the show, and before they introduced Your Time Dining, I often sat at dinner tables that were consistently 50% empty; some of our dining partners never once showed for dinner. I don't think the reduction in size in the main dining room and theatre will be a big problem. For those wanting to see the show, they will get there at a reasonable time and get seats, those who are uninterested, will not. Same with dinner, those who do not intend to set foot into the dining room will select Your Time dining so as not to inconvenience those who do want to. I understand everyone's concern with the shrinking common spaces, but I don't think it's really that big of a problem.

I'm with everyone else I think it will be way too crowded. We were on the Destiny back in October and the aft lounge that was the comedy club was packed every night. They did Kareoke in the old Cigar lounge on deck 4, which works okay but by looking at the new room it looks really crowded with more seats. I am not sure about the theater. I might agree with them to take it down to 2 levels, because I noticed that many seats on the top level were never used. That does mean though that you have to go really early to get the seat you want. What I don't get is why they don't make another lounge out of that extra space. I hate crowds and want my space on vacation. :mad:

I understand everyone's concern with the shrinking common spaces, but I don't think it's really that big of a problem.

In that case maybe Carnival should take out more lounge space and add even more cabins? Where does it end?

Regardless of whether it becomes an issue or not, no matter how I look at it I don't see removing public lounge space, replacing the space with cabins, and increasing capacity by a substantial amount as a good thing.

Ernie

Anyone else old enough to remember the song that starts off with

"Sunshine go away today."

I love the production shows & I like set dining - having less space for both sounds like a terrible plan to me. What is coming - brown bag lunches & bingo or gambling for entertainment? I hope it all turns out better than how it sounds.

I guess if we order room service and sit in our rooms we will at least have a place to sit. :(

I'm with everyone else I think it will be way too crowded. We were on the Destiny back in October and the aft lounge that was the comedy club was packed every night. They did Kareoke in the old Cigar lounge on deck 4, which works okay but by looking at the new room it looks really crowded with more seats. I am not sure about the theater. I might agree with them to take it down to 2 levels, because I noticed that many seats on the top level were never used. That does mean though that you have to go really early to get the seat you want. What I don't get is why they don't make another lounge out of that extra space. I hate crowds and want my space on vacation. :mad:

Maybe they plan to schedule the comedy club and shows at the same times so the crowd gets split up? If so, you wouldn't be able to to do both.:mad:

Maybe they plan to schedule the comedy club and shows at the same times so the crowd gets split up? If so, you wouldn't be able to to do both.:mad:

I am not sure where they would have the comedy shows....cause the aft lounge seems to be replaced by cabins??

My last cruise on Carnival (Valor) had the 2 production shows, a juggler,

welcome show, legends...but in place of the "fly in show" they had the newlywed game thingy

Maybe they plan to use the main lounge for comedy club after the shows on a few nights and then have just comedy (early/late) on other nights??

Or else use the former cigar bar for the punchliner club???

I am not sure where they would have the comedy shows....cause the aft lounge seems to be replaced by cabins??

My last cruise on Carnival (Valor) had the 2 production shows, a juggler,

welcome show, legends...but in place of the "fly in show" they had the newlywed game thingy

Maybe they plan to use the main lounge for comedy club after the shows on a few nights and then have just comedy (early/late) on other nights??

Or else use the former cigar bar for the punchliner club???

I was thinking the same thing that they would use the former cigar bar because it looks like it has more seating now according to the deck plans.

Me thinks this not the ship for me mateys!

I think this is a ship i will certainly avoid. and if this is something that CCL continues to do, i'll gladly take my $'s and move to another line. well, not gladly, but i will.

peace & tranquility is one thing that i love about cruising. sounds like it may be difficult to find it on this new old ship.

• 2 weeks later...

I think the changes to the Destiny look cool...but then again I have never been on her. I hope Carnival has done the appropriate research and that the changes they are making to create the Carnival Sunshine will not cause the ship to be over crowded:)

Looking forward to the 3 deck Serenity AND the kid's clubs located in the same zipcode is brilliant and what we have been asking for.

Which is to say the kids clubs and waterworks are together and as far away as possible from Serenity. The Serenity area is supposed to be in the serene part of the ship.

Looks scarily crowded. But thankfully it is not coming to Miami so I don't have to deal with it. Hope Carnival does not decide to do the same to poor Victory.

Certainly hope Royal's "Sunshine" will turn out better than this "Sunshine".

H82seaUgo,

Thank you for the link!

It sure looks like the stork is carrying Destiny instead of Sunshine;

StorkSunshine-vi.jpg

Yep, that stork is carrying the wrong delivery or they decided to keep the twister slide in the Serenity area;

StorkSunshine2-vi.jpg

I wondered what they were going to do with the Lido movie screen given that it's a constant source of noise complaints, but it appears they are simply aiming at this;

SunshineSerenity-vi.jpg

I have seen many people seeking serenity away from the big screen, yet this 'Serenity' area is going to be the audio echo point of the big screen?

I'm sure they'll find a way to make it work by toning down the shows and playing the fish screen saver, but for those who like noisy big screen action areas, I guess they'll have the splash zone? No more Lido live bands playing either else there'd be no serenity in the Serenity area.

Personally I love the idea of combining comfortable furnishings with audio visual entertainment, but I doubt the current Serenity Afficionados would agree with me.

Thanks for posting that link!

Anyone else think Carnival will also do this to Triumph and Victory, maybe in 2014 and 2015? They could rename the ships Moonshine and Funshine. :p

KroozFoolz,

LOL, love the names! They'll have to reposition the Moonshine to New Orleans though. :D Florida should get Dest....err Sunshine since Florida is the Sunshine state.

I wondered what they were going to do with the Lido movie screen given that it's a constant source of noise complaints, but it appears they are simply aiming at this;

SunshineSerenity-vi.jpg

I have seen many people seeking serenity away from the big screen, yet this 'Serenity' area is going to be the audio echo point of the big screen?

I'm sure they'll find a way to make it work by toning down the shows and playing the fish screen saver, but for those who like noisy big screen action areas, I guess they'll have the splash zone? No more Lido live bands playing either else there'd be no serenity in the Serenity area.

Personally I love the idea of combining comfortable furnishings with audio visual entertainment, but I doubt the current Serenity Afficionados would agree with me.

Serenity is facing the pointy end of the ship and Waterworks and the Kids clubs are at the opposite end. The big screen is in between.

Being 3 decks tall + wind should help cut down on the noisy factors and the white noise from the waterfall should help eliminate most of what is left.

I think it is brilliant AND serene.

Archived