Destiny >>> Sunshine Deck by Deck visual comparison

PaulMedik

MrPete,

I do like the new aft wraps and do like the cabins over the bridge, but I don't guess they could add them without increasing passenger numbers. The passenger cabins on deck 5 will eliminate complaints of noise from passengers on deck six aft about the loud bands in the aft lounge. The cabins over the bridge are just nice to look at and the view from up there is I'm sure awesome.

Adding the partial deck of cabins on deck 11, deck 12, and deck 3 is nothing but greed unchecked; whoever came up with those plans needs FIRED and forced to live in a crowded subway for a year. :mad: The 2.0 upgrades they are planning to add are appealing, but lining more passengers up to wait for service at the new venues is insane. I'm sure some bean counter calculated floor space in the main lounge and determined that patrons could fit in less space and the same for the aft lounge; but did he add the additional passengers into his equation? The bean counter should be hogtied and have beans shot at him via slingshot for the rest of his days on earth. :eek:

Two new aft wraps and two new Captains suites; the only new traveling options I see other than the six old aft wraps. Any other cabin will require that you venture out into the jam packed Sunshine; I suggest a nice sun hat, because with standing room only, the only sun many will get is on their heads.

In keeping with the new 'Sunshine' theme, the new name for the open decks should be Eclipse; the sun will surely be in shadows of the people standing around you. :D

I agree 100%--We have never looked for seats around Lido Pool but on the open decks.

While Serentity areas look nice. How many chairs would actually be available after the "chair hogs" have been there.

Thanks for the visuals:) Helped me to see this is not ship for me

While I like the Serenity Deck changes and agree with others that more passengers isn't a good idea, I have to say I won't miss the aft lounge and bars since there's two more aft wraps that will be closer to the waterline. :) Many assume the two new Captain's suites will be the most coveted, but if given a choice I'd choose aft wrap.

SunshineDeck5AftWraps-vi.jpg

Nice work Paul! I echo your thoughts on Aft wraps and also love the Captain's suite.

The Destiny was my first Carnival cruise. It was what got me hooked on Carnival and I have sailed on it a total of 3 times. Sadly, I will not sail on it under it's new name. Too many people, not enough show lounge space, not enough pool space, just not enough open space period.

I hope this is not a sign of things to come with Carnival. Even though we are Platinuim with Carnival, my loyalties could be swayed.

I'm thinking the same thing...will be VIP this year and that may be it for us. They're taking away our beloved Spirit Class ships slowly...not a big fan of the other classes...now this one has even less deck space while cramming more people in...really seems like all they care about is wooing new cruisers who don't know any better or care. So much for the opinions of their loyal customers:rolleyes:

I agree 100%--We have never looked for seats around Lido Pool but on the open decks.

While Serentity areas look nice. How many chairs would actually be available after the "chair hogs" have been there.

Thanks for the visuals:) Helped me to see this is not ship for me

I won't be sailing her...you can do the exact same ports on other ships which have more space.

Yes you did.

I think Carnival missed an opportunity to play catch up by not making at least some of these new cabins solo cabins.

You're absolutely right, Duckie...they had a chance to right a wrong and didn't...it's all about the money. What they don't realize is that solo cruisers will just find better deals elsewhere...again, they don't care.:rolleyes:

Yes you did.

I think Carnival missed an opportunity to play catch up by not making at least some of these new cabins solo cabins.

Don,

They could make Sunshine one of the most lively ships in the fleet if they allowed single with no supplement in ALL of the new cabins. Her central location in relation to the entire country would be a further selling point. What's even more troubling about the new cabins is that most of them are listed as FOUR passenger cabins.....

If I'm getting this right, there are fewer lounges, fewer pools, less deck space, fewer seats in the theater, and less dining room space. With many more passengers. :confused:

What a sad thing to do to a milestone ship like the Destiny.

And I agree they missed a huge opportunity in not adding solo cabins.

I don't think it will be as bad as some may think...as for the pools...maybe I am missing something on the Destiny ..but I only see 2 pools...plus the waterslide pool..which would make 3 if you are counting that..correct me if I'm wrong...it looks as though they have taken the slide and moved it to the aft but also turned it into the whole water works thing...whick I think is a nice upgrade.

When it comes to seating/dining/shows..I was thinking the same thing about space..but trying to look at it from another angle...maybe Carnival has something new altogether for these public areas..maybe they will be adjusting dining/show times to accomodate the lack of space. Just trying to understand why Carnival would make such huge changes to these 2 particular places...and that is all I can think of.

As for me ..I can't wait to check out the "new"ly remodeled ..renamed ship...as well as the Breeze.. I am looking forward to seeing the new, more tropical, relaxing decor. But I won't be one of the first on her as I don't cruise that time of year too often...so I will stayed tuned to all the reviews that are post here to make my final decisions.

Happy Sailings to all...whatever ship you may be on. ;)

I wrote this post on another thread but it seems more appropriate here. I feel that this refurbishment is largely about increasing revenue production. I see very little in the way of passenger space enhancements. Yes spaces are being reengineered to be more relevant to the expectations of today's passengers, but I certainly don't see any increase in passenger interior public space, and in fact it appears to be a decrease. One glance at the deck plan really tells the story.

What is unfortunate is that the Destiny/Triumph/Conquest Class ships were never that spacious to begin with. In fact they are some of the most crowded ships I've ever sailed. The layout is poor, deck space is lacking, and the buffet especially is inadequate for the number of passengers. Lines, lines, and more lines. Yes Carnival is inexpensive to sail on, but if lines and crowds are your idea of a great vacation then I think the new CARNIVAL SUNSHINE will be for you. I also find the name interesting, considering the fact that Royal Caribbean's new class of ships are code named "Project Sunshine" and have been for some time.

Comparing the deck plan of CARNIVAL DESTINY to CARNIVAL SUNSHINE tells the story and here is how I see it ... most of it seems to revolve around the pattern of adding more and more cabins anywhere they could find.

Deck 3 - The lower level of the show lounge is removed and transformed into 40 cabins. The rest of Deck 3 is relatively unchanged. The lower level of each dining room is still in place, with the galley in between and no way to walk through from fore to aft.

Deck 4 - What used to be a balcony level of the show lounge is now the lower level and a bar has been added. How this will accommodate even 1/3 of the passengers is anyone's guess?

The upper level of the midship dining room is now a fee-based speciality restaurant and piano bar. This is not additional public space, just a reallocation of existing space.

The rest of deck 4 remains relatively unchanged except the existing cigar lounge is renamed and is perhaps the new nightclub.

Deck 5 - The entire public area between the forward shops and the aft Criterion Lounge has been reconfigured. Again no added public space, just a reconfiguration of existing space.

Unfortunately the secondary show lounge (Criterion Lounge) has been removed completely and in it's place are 50 cabins. How the ship will function with a much smaller show lounge and no secondary show lounge remains to be seen.

Deck 9 - About 10 cabins are added above the bridge, and another 4 behind the atrium well.

Some fun new bars and grills have been added around the Lido Pool which is nice, but this area is already pretty crowded. I don't know how it will be with the new areas taking up more deck space. Unfortunately the small main pool is still relatively small for such a large ship.

The Lido Buffet is reconfigured and the aft pool and dome are removed completely and closed in. The aft pool now becomes more seating for the buffet and a new Italian restaurant. Again no new public space, just a reallocation of existing space.

I feel it's quite unfortunate this pool is being removed as the ship was short on pools to begin with.

Deck 10 - The Spa and Fitness center remain unchanged in size although reconfigured. The Camp Carnival is removed and 21 new cabins are added. No additional public space.

The midship slide and small slide pool are removed.

The upper level of the old Buffet is turned into Camp Carnival.

The aft sky dome over the old aft pool is now a deck and Carnival WaterWorks. This really is an addition of public space. The first substantial increase I have seen with the redesign.

Deck 11 - The old Club 02 and Circle C for the kids is reallocated to 35 new cabins and a fitness studio.

A new pool and limited deck space is added. I don't see a well for the pool on the deck below, so it's quite likely this will be a very shallow type wading pool, but that remains to be seen. It's not really an additional pool since both the aft pool and slide pool have been removed. At least there is the new Carnival Waterworks, and while not exactly a pool it's a wet area that will hopefully keep the kids away for the two other small pools.

Deck 12 - 24 new cabins are added and a small deck aft of the cabins reserved as part of adults serenity deck.

Deck 14 - A new adults Serenity Deck is added.

So there you have it. There is some new deck space added which is a great thing, but unfortunately the ship loses a swimming pool in the process.

What is more concerning is the elimination of a lot of interior public lounge space that the ship enjoys now, that will soon be cabins.

I guess time will tell how it all works out, but it appears the primary motive of this redesign was to add cabins with hopes the remaining public space will absorb all the passengers. I'm guessing the evening shows on CARNIVAL SUNSHINE will be a new concept since there is no longer an aft show lounge, and the main show lounge is substantially smaller and will no longer accommodate almost 1/2 the ship's population like it used to.

The elimination of the upper level of the midship dining room also means that Carnival expects more passengers to dine in the speciality restaurants and buffet. The main dining rooms will no longer be able to accommodate 1/2 the ship's passenger compliment per seating like they used to. I would expect to see an expansion of Your Time Dining.

Ernie

It seems most of the replies feel this ship with the additional passengers will be even more crowded than it already is. Just some good natured kidding in helping Carnival be more truthful in their description on their web site. I have added the bold words to make it a little better;).

"If someone tells you that there’s nothing new under the sun, tell them to get aboard Carnival Sunshine! Launching in spring 2013, our newest “Fun Ship” cruising experience will be jam-packed with even more passengers and with almost everything new, everything fun, everywhere you look.

Gregg

As I noted in another thread, Sunshine is going to have more passengers than the larger Conquest class ships.

As a matter of fact, Sunshine will have the same passenger capacity as the Splendor, but in a much smaller footprint.

If they were to step up and announce that crew over crowding will be lessened by reassigning an equal number of passenger cabins to crew, then it would be reasonable. More crew in the same crew space? We all know they aren't going to add more crew; they're just going to make do with what they have.

I hadn't even considered that, but you may be right. :eek:

I'll be curious to see the reviews once this ship is done and under way.

Yes you did.

If they would have done that I do believe I would've already booked her. That would've given them additional cabins without overcrowding the ship.

I hadn't even considered that, but you may be right. :eek:

I'll be curious to see the reviews once this ship is done and under way.

I can't imagine the reviews for the first cruise out of dry dock. We saw how ill prepared they were when the Spirit came out of her recent face lift. I can't imagine all this will be done and perfect by the first sailing. There is no way I would be on it.

I can't imagine the reviews for the first cruise out of dry dock. We saw how ill prepared they were when the Spirit came out of her recent face lift. I can't imagine all this will be done and perfect by the first sailing. There is no way I would be on it.

Most of the cruise ships coming out of extreme drydock arnt ready

I dont think this one will be done on time either:eek:

Doesn't really matter, as I have no plans to cruise on the ship, but I do think it's hilarious that you can take the elevator up to the jogging track. Would make for some good "examples of irony" photos.

How else will people in wheel chairs/crutches be able to access the jogging track:D

Less chairs in the showroom is not a problem as they have cutbacked on entertainment. They'll likely have one of two shows and rest will be "cruiser participation" nonsense, which has little appeal, count on plenty of empty seats.

Less mdr capacity? No problem, those in anytime dining who get tired of waiting for a table will be redirected to the pay dining venues. Or, taking the advice of Arison, will shut up, go to Guys and get a burger to shove in their mouth.

The number of cruisers who sail this ship and complain about it will be a p.r. nightmare for CCL, this ship will be tarnish the whole fleet. Then again, the whole fleet may be remodeled (add lots of cabins) to resemble the Sunshine.

If I'm getting this right, there are fewer lounges, fewer pools, less deck space, fewer seats in the theater, and less dining room space. With many more passengers. :confused:

What a sad thing to do to a milestone ship like the Destiny.

And I agree they missed a huge opportunity in not adding solo cabins.

I always fett the pool areas are just not enough compared to , yes, even NCL.

And the fewer seats in the theatre... well thats not so good, so many people save seats already...

Most of the cruise ships coming out of extreme drydock arnt ready

I dont think this one will be done on time either:eek:

I don't either. This is a particularly ambitious project. I would not want to be on Destiny in the sailing or two before dry dock, or the first 2 or 3 afterwards. I expect they will have to start doing prep work pretty early.

Since Carnival is pushing the new George Lopez comedy clubs, where will that be with the aft lounge gone? Are we possibly headed for a ship where the main production shows and variety acts will be a thing of the past? :eek::( Less seating in the main lounge seems to me like maybe that will become the comedy club?

The more I look at this the worse it looks

Destiny surely NEEDS more dining places...and that sounded like a good idea when they first announced the total remake news

BUT the more I see of this, it seems like they now will have more people and less showroom seats....losing a whole floor

More and more crowding....not a pretty picture

The more I look at this the worse it looks

Destiny surely NEEDS more dining places...and that sounded like a good idea when they first announced the total remake news

BUT the more I see of this, it seems like they now will have more people and less showroom seats....losing a whole floor

More and more crowding....not a pretty picture

Actually, the only time I didn't feel crowded on the Destiny was during dinner, as it was the only time everyone had an assigned spot.

Anyone else old enough to remember the song that starts off with

"Sunshine go away today."

I love the production shows & I like set dining - having less space for both sounds like a terrible plan to me. What is coming - brown bag lunches & bingo or gambling for entertainment? I hope it all turns out better than how it sounds.

Archived