Is there a true luxury cruise line

biar18

I am writing to ask opinions on if there is a true luxury cruise line and if so what line people would recommend. When I travel I usually stay in Four Season or Peninsula properties or something of their nature. I enjoy fine dining, Eleven Madison or the like. We have tried several cruises whose PR claim that their dining experience compares with the finest restaurants in the world and that their suites are designed for the traveler who is used to staying in the best hotels. I am realistic and am aware that the job of PR is to put a glow on an image but it should be rather accurate I would think. The George V deserves it's reputation and PR fully for instance. I enjoy traveling on the sea but have not found a line that I enjoy. I have tried Queens Grill on the QM2 as well as Seabourn. On both lines I stayed in their top level suites. On both the food could not hold a candle to a fine restaurant, although they claim they can. The suite on Cunard was very nice, on Seabourn the bottom of our bath was peeling up and hair was covering the pillows on our bed when we arrived. On Seabourn I was aware the Legend was older but they should warn of low ceiling heights. At 6'4 I could not use any of the cardio equipment and had to duck around doorways and lights. I am not one for onboard shows, but on Seabourn the cruise director was wearing terrible costumes and performing tacky shows.

Can anybody recommend a line that a person who is used to the George V and try fine dining might enjoy or does it not exist.

Thank you for your time.

There are several luxury cruise lines, and they are all truly luxurious. They are (in no particular order) Sea Dream, Seabourne, Crystal and Regent. Sea Dream and Seabourne have smaller, more intimate ships, Regents ships are around 600-700 guests and Crystal is aroun 900 guests.

I can only speak for Crystal, and as a member of the hospitality trade that has worked at two luxury properties, Waldorf Astoria in NYC and Campton Place in SF. We had a mission statement at the Waldorf, the difficult immmediately, the impossible takes a few minutes longer. That is Crystal in a nutshell, spectacular service, grand, European style food in the main dining room and some of the best Italian and Japanese food you will find anywhere, land or sea.

Even at full load, you can lost on a Crystal ship. That is because a mainstream line would take double the passengers on a ship the sames size. And double the passenger load does not mean double the staff load.

Like I stated above, I have only been on Crystal, but many can tell you that the others are just as luxurious in their own ways.

We were on the new Sojourn,and found the food,service,entertainment,,etc.to be truly "top Notch".Each dinner ,,in every location ,,was "good enough to be 5 star,IMO

Then on SeaDream,,the food and service were excellent.But too small for us.and little or no entertainment per se.

We also like Regent,,,food very good,,but perhaps more 4+stars.

We prefer smaller ships,,so Crystal seems too large,,but many say its great.Guess it all depends....everyone seems to have their favorites.BUt,each line,seems to have some good and bad points,,nothing ever PERFECT,,it seems.If you find it, LET US KNOW>haha..good luck with your quest.:)

Queen Elizabeth has chartered the Hebridean Princess twice for family occasions, most recently in 2010. Both Hebridean and Swan Hellenic focus on British-style elegance.

Hapag Lloyd's Europa (www.hl-cruises dot com) is generally at the top of lists of the world's most luxurious cruise ship. Europa is more cosmopolitan, appealing to an international clientele.

As wonderful as some of the dining venues on luxury ships are, in my opinion, ship kitchens are not equipped to prepare dishes that are comparable to restaurants on land. The ship kitchens have safety limitations (the type of heat that must be used for instance) and are not able to get herbs, vegetables and fruit from the garden or local market on a daily basis. I would suggest chartering a yacht and make sure it makes daily stops in ports where fresh meat, fish, produce, etc. are available.

As wonderful as some of the dining venues on luxury ships are, in my opinion, ship kitchens are not equipped to prepare dishes that are comparable to restaurants on land. The ship kitchens have safety limitations (the type of heat that must be used for instance) and are not able to get herbs, vegetables and fruit from the garden or local market on a daily basis. I would suggest chartering a yacht and make sure it makes daily stops in ports where fresh meat, fish, produce, etc. are available.

Excellent observation. No matter how generous the food budget may be on any cruise ship and no matter how skilled the chef, the kitchen is limited by the fact that they can't go shopping each morning for fresh fish, meat, and produce.

Let me clear up your misconception about shopping for food fresh every day at a land restaurant. They may get deliveries everyday, but the do not shop every day. You keep predetermined pars on all items based up menus and demand. They are also limited in storage capacity, and the fact they have to buy by the case, not the piece. So there is a fancy dance that goes on in every restaurant and hotel rotating what they buy and when.

That being said, I have toured the galley on the Crystal Symphony with their Executive Chef on two occassions, and they get frequent restockings. Because the ship has tremendous storage capacity, and walk ins and refrigeration equipment, they can store fresh items for up to 7 days. On one tour, I was present as they on loaded fresh king salmon in Ketchikan. It was quite an operation.

Any ship can only do "frequent restocking" if they are stopping at a port where they can restock. Not all cruises are port intensive and many ports are not able to grow fresh produce. All luxury cruise lines pick up fresh ingredients when they are able to. . . . the thing is -- they aren't always able to. Would love to do a taste test of an item that is fresh for 7 days vs. the same item fresh today. From my experience, most top restaurants have their own herb and vegetable garden -- nothing is held for 7 days.

Travelcat, I have worked in several of the Top Restaurants, and we did not have our own herb gardens. I have also done the purchasing at said establishments. While we did not keep fresh product around for 7 days, we did not have the high tech storage facilities that I saw aboard the Symphony. We did not need them, they do. Are you aware that most fish in restaurants, even the so called top restaurants, arrives frozen?

Are you aware that most fish in restaurants, even the so called top restaurants, arrives frozen?

That is why we only order "fresh fish" that we have verified was not previously frozen.

winegirl: That is a wonderful suggestion (if they make frequent stops for supplies). You don't have to work in the food industry to know that fresh food is better than something that has been around for days. Almost all restaurants in our area (on the water) pick their herbs from their garden and get produce from local farmers.

In general, some posts sound like an advertisement for Crystal. From my 6 years of research on luxury cruise lines, I have learned that all of them obtain fresh products whenever possible. The fresh fish in South America is amazing. Fish in the Mediterrean, on the other hand, would be great if there were not a shortage of fish. Anyone who claims that their cruiseline has the best in fresh products is making an assumption -- not based on fact.

Seeing the crew catching fish for dinner off the stern of the ship may qualify as fact :D

I do not think that is allowed anymore though

Although you can't fish off of the ship, I've seen tenders used to "visit" a fishing boat and purchase some fresh fish. Wish it could be done more frequently.

• 2 weeks later...
Although you can't fish off of the ship, I've seen tenders used to "visit" a fishing boat and purchase some fresh fish. Wish it could be done more frequently.

There was a certain Regent captain that had a fondness for this. He'd send over booze and get back fish. However Regent nipped him and now he I believe is with Seabourn.

As to true luxury cruising? The closest I've been on is Crystal or Radisson (NOT Regent or SilverSea). Even then, freshness and availability of food becomes an issue, along with menu repetition.

Not luxury because if size, wonderful however. The Captain of "The Lord of the Glens" would fish almost every night on our cruise down the Caledonian Canal and catch a bucket of baby mackerel. Wow was it good at breakfast or the next evening. Fishing off the stern still happens, thank goodness:D

Yes, there are some restaurants that have their own herb gardens, and I know of one hotel that also has their own apiary to supply them with honey.....however none of that alone makes for a luxury restaurant or a luxury cruise.

I think the fundamental problem with the OP's premise is expecting to be able to use the same standards and definitions on land as at sea. In fact, I think that's one of the problems with the mega-cruise industry, trying to emulate land resorts. Accept that being at sea, being mobile, being half-way around the world from where you started......all come with limitations as well as privileges, but they're definitely not the same as being in one location on land.

I am writing to ask opinions on if there is a true luxury cruise line and if so what line people would recommend. When I travel I usually stay in Four Season or Peninsula properties or something of their nature. I enjoy fine dining, Eleven Madison or the like. We have tried several cruises whose PR claim that their dining experience compares with the finest restaurants in the world and that their suites are designed for the traveler who is used to staying in the best hotels. I am realistic and am aware that the job of PR is to put a glow on an image but it should be rather accurate I would think. The George V deserves it's reputation and PR fully for instance. I enjoy traveling on the sea but have not found a line that I enjoy. I have tried Queens Grill on the QM2 as well as Seabourn. On both lines I stayed in their top level suites. On both the food could not hold a candle to a fine restaurant, although they claim they can. The suite on Cunard was very nice, on Seabourn the bottom of our bath was peeling up and hair was covering the pillows on our bed when we arrived. On Seabourn I was aware the Legend was older but they should warn of low ceiling heights. At 6'4 I could not use any of the cardio equipment and had to duck around doorways and lights. I am not one for onboard shows, but on Seabourn the cruise director was wearing terrible costumes and performing tacky shows.

Can anybody recommend a line that a person who is used to the George V and try fine dining might enjoy or does it not exist.

Thank you for your time.

Maybe you need to stay on land. I've been on lots of cruises and enjoyed them all. Maybe your expectations are too high or maybe you are too tall to enjoy cruises thousands and thousands of other people enjoy.(:

That's not my experience.

I agree. We've eaten at some of the fine restaurants in Boston/New York/Montreal. I find the food & service in the Queens Grill to be better than many of the fine dining rest. out there. The service & the food in BeaverClub(Queen Elizabeth hotel in Montreal)Is similer to what's in Queens Grill(perhaps a bit better)

Have you considered a completey different style of cruising? While it's not a resort style ship (Crystal gets my vote in that case), Nomads of the Sea takes luxury cruising to a new level. We're serious food/wine snobs 'round our house, and the food on Nomads truly did rate five-star. It was truly astonishing what that small kitchen could put out, but with just 28 guests, it's quite a different thing to serving hundreds, or thousands.

We did the Fly Fishing cruise, even though we don't fish, and it was something we will never, ever forget. You want unfortgetable luxury and pampering? You may want to check them out.

• 2 weeks later...

I have to say, I think your expectations are a tad high. No cruise line, and few (overwhelmingly expensive) private yacht charters, will be serving food that is up to par with world class restaurants. I'm going to assume this is simply because no "world class" chef would want to live and work on a ship, and because of the freshness of ingredients discussed previously.

Short story:

I had the amazing opportunity to spend a week onboard a 200 foot private yacht, complete with 16 staff to our 12 guests. It was an unforgettable experience, that I would never be able to afford to go on without knowing the owner (200K per week +tax,food,expenses,fuel and tips). We definitely didn't pay that. (Im travelling in October on the EPIC in an inside studio cabin, and thats about what we paid) The chef treated us like any paying guests, because we were meant to give our thoughts on her menu. I can tell you first hand: The food WAS forgettable, even bad (relatively) in some cases.

All to say, that I think the food onboard X, seabourne, cunard and other luxury cruise lines IS the best your going to get at sea. There is definitely the option of chartering a yacht (donate to needy children instead!), but it would require looking into chef reviews and such, (can be bad ^) and seems like a pain. There are exceptions to every rule, so don't assume a whole line is bad because of one experience. Id say eat well on land, and enjoy the sea for what it is. (Just bring an orange for scurvy)

• 4 weeks later...

I have cruised quite alot and I liked Silversea until I went on Crystal. For me this is my

favourite line. The meals were excellent and I particularly enjoyed the Italian restaurant (the sea bass is to die for)

Service is outstanding and the entertainment is wonderful.

Give them a try and see if you approve, if not, then you are indeed too fussy.

Archived