First Time European Cruiser-need help please!

texanitalian

Valley Girl --- did you have a cruise tour or private tour to the Amalfi Coast?

I'm looking at a private tour who said they are just the driver-and hopefully we can decide how much is too much and tell them

when we are ready to leave.

skidawg71 -- appreciate any suggestions! By the time we get to Barcelona, I think we will be ready just to enjoy/meet the locals.

I probably will add Pompeii to my agenda when we are in Naples.

We had a private tour and it was TOO MUCH, in my opinion. We were with http://www.seesorrento.com Lunch was fabulous, our guide hardly said anything other than reading signs to us, we had to wait for him after lunch and at one of the few stops we had (rather than him waiting for us). He was on the phone quite a bit when he should have been concentrating on driving (I even told him that). We were picked up around 8 AM and dropped off around 4:30 if that time period helps you out.

Day of Arrival: (Sat or Sun) ....... go for 2 1/2 hr Rome segway tour

in afternoon for an into to the main attractions/locations.

Red flags and my "Mom Alarm" went off over your planned segway tour....

Rome is an ancient city with ancient, uneven streets, loads of people and crazy drivers...

Many times we've read about our fellow CC members who were seriously hurt on their segway tours....

This isn't a good way to start your cruise.....

Have fun.....but be safe......!!

We used Rick Steves' Mona Winks as our guide to the Vatican museum. We stayed on our own pre-cruise and were very satisfied with the experience. Somewhere we read (I think in that guide) to go to the Vatican museum ticket office around 11:00 a.m. GREAT ADVICE at least on that day. We walked straight in and followed the Mona Winks route. Yes, plenty of people, but it was quite manageable. It was a pleasure to wander at our own pace and to spend as long as we wished in the Sistine Chapel. It was very crowded, but if you've got plenty of time it's not a problem.

We've been to Florence twice as a port day. Both times we took the cruise line's transportation only, which worked out great. The first time, we had booked our Uffizi tickets ahead, so no lines. The second time, our bus guide asked if anyone wanted to go to the Accademia (many did, of course), so she arranged tickets (for which we paid), and we met her at a defined time for entry, then were on our own. Both were great days.

Have a wonderful time.

Wow, I guess I need to do some research on these boards about segway tours.

We have some friends who did this in Rome last summer.

I've watch some youtube videos --there is a 30 minute lesson-but I guess I should re-think this --we had private lessons for snow skiing--and never made passed the bunny slopes!

My daughters have told me that Rome is not easy to walk and that they got lost/turned around easily.

I just thought the segway tour would be a good way to spend the afternoon on day of arrival to get know the area before exploring on your own.

We too have found the Rick Steves book to be very helpful, as all of his tour books are. Just one thing to remember: land travel is his specialty, not cruise ships. Don't rely on what he may say about shipboard life and customs; there are several errors in the book that we've caught pertaining to how ships do things. Use him for your tour plans; I think you'll find the book well worth the money.

I've watch some youtube videos --there is a 30 minute lesson-but I guess I should re-think this --we had private lessons for snow skiing--and never made passed the bunny slopes!

My daughters have told me that Rome is not easy to walk and that they got lost/turned around easily.

I just thought the segway tour would be a good way to spend the afternoon on day of arrival to get know the area before exploring on your own.

Count me as another that would recommend against the Segway tour. I've been to Rome many times and I shudder when I see those Segway tours going by. When you see the streets (lots of cobblestones and uneven surfaces) and the crazy traffic (including scooters that zip in and out between the cars), you'll see what I mean.

We too have found the Rick Steves book to be very helpful, as all of his tour books are. Just one thing to remember: land travel is his specialty, not cruise ships. Don't rely on what he may say about shipboard life and customs; there are several errors in the book that we've caught pertaining to how ships do things. Use him for your tour plans; I think you'll find the book well worth the money.

As a side note, Rick and his girlfriend were on our cruise to the Eastern Med. in September. We invited him to our M&G and he came. A very nice man.

We were on our first european trip (45 day) atlantic adventurer. We opted to get euros via a debit card and expressly obtained a bank debit card for this purpose. The bank was notified of our travel plans - when we got to Europe we were not able to use the card - a couple days nightmare to be sure although we met many pleasant European bankers.

Long story short because we didn't bring additional money to meet this need we repeatedly did cash advances aboard ship and paid their mark up to get euros. I know lots of people have no problem but the next time we go to Europe we will get euros here.

Capitol One does not charge extra for exchange rate and was a god send but tour folks etc will not take credit cards.

By the way we loved Europe, did what you seem to be wanting to do not worry about seeing everything, paced ourselves and had a great time!

When my wife and I travel, we both have ATM cards for our two accounts, one with a bank and one with a credit union in case one or the other does not work. We use the credit union as the primary card in that they charge much less than the bank. After eight trips to Europe, we haven't had a problem on either accounts.

We did one of the hop on/hop off bus tours of Rome. You can just sit and listen to the guide and see from the window as they circle the city. Or, you can get off at one of their stops and then get on another one later. Good value, gave us a nice overview of the city and after a long night on the transatlantic flight it was a good use of time without expending lots of energy.

Good luck!

Thanks FATJACK for mentioning a using a credit union ATM.

I was afraid to admit that we only use a credit union for banking

and will probably open a regular bank account for this trip to be

on the safe side. I have heard so much about pick pockets and

I'm really worried about carrying too much cash.

I will look into the HOHO bus system -- that definitely will be a good intro to the city before exporing on our own.

...there are several things nobody has mentioned. First, you may be jetlagged upon arrival, which makes you tired and thus an easy target for pickpockets of which there are many in Europe. They love crowds! And stay away from credit cards with RFID chips in them. They can be "read" right through your wallet/bag and your personal ID stolen without you ever being touched. Get protective covers from your TA, or wrap foil around them. Same goes for passports. It's nice to be in awe of all the beautiful things to see, but BE AWARE of your surroundings too!

Yes, I thought about jet-lag --we arrive earily (7:30 am) and
will allow time to rest up and be ready for early afternoon
adventures around the city. On our Hawaiian trip-we arrived
around 5:00 pm, so we had all evening to rest and were ready
to go the next morning, so this trip will be different.

Do we need to carry our passport with us everywhere?

I want to just make a colored copy to carry. We usually
use fanny packs and I want to buy one to wear under my shirt too.

Archived